The Big Book of Super Powers - brief submission ideas?

reapersaurus

First Post
I'd like to see Longshot's power emulated.

Of course, I don't see HOW his ridiculous amount of Luck can really be done, but.... I'd applaud any effort.

And how bout The Taskmaster?
"Photographic Reflexes", he called it - the ability to copy fighting styles and maneuvers simply from watching someone.
It's probably impossible to do, I'd guess rules-wise.

Last edited:

Great Cthulhu

First Post
Explain the way your saving throw system works for powers. I understand its 10 plus 1/2 the power ranks from digging around, but something like that should be explicit

You should have some way to upgrade your powers save DCs independent of just buying power ranks. Something like Telepathic Charm is basically frozen at its starting save DC just because there may not be any more tricks to add to it. A Save DC of 15 is not so hot against 20th level characters no matter how many times you can do it.

Maybe you could:

1) be allowed to add just Save modifiers at a rate of maybe +1 per two power ranks? This would be worthless with something like energy blasts since just buying more dice automatically upgrades your DCs with power ranks. But it could be useful for things like Telepathic Charm.

2) A specific power just to upgrade save DCs. 'Power Boost' or something like that.

3) Add a couple of feats to your super feat list called Super Focus and Improved Super Focus. They add +2 and +4 respectivly to a single power but do not stack. You need SF before taking ISF.

Thanks.

Lizard

Explorer
reapersaurus said:
I'd like to see Longshot's power emulated.

Of course, I don't see HOW his ridiculous amount of Luck can really be done, but.... I'd applaud any effort.

And how bout The Taskmaster?
"Photographic Reflexes", he called it - the ability to copy fighting styles and maneuvers simply from watching someone.
It's probably impossible to do, I'd guess rules-wise.

Why?

"Imitate Feat"

Whenever someone uses a combat feat in your perception, you may attempt to imitate it. Make a Wisdom check at a DC of 16+2 for each prerequisite feat (i.e, a feat with three prerequisites would by a DC 22 Wisdom check). If you succeed, you may 'learn' the feat and use it as if you had taken it normally. You may only 'know' one extra feat at a time; each time you learn a new feat, you forget the old one. If the feat has statistic minimums, (i.e, Dex 13+), then you must meet them; you do not need to meet any other requirements, unless they are obviously necessary to learn the feat. (i.e, can't learn flyby attack if you can't fly)

If you fail the wisdom check, you may not attempt to learn that feat from that combatant again until you gain another level. You may attempt to learn the same feat from a different combatant.

Base Rank: 8

Enhancements:
Additional Feats: 8 -- you may 'remember' one additional feat as a time.

Now, this is 100% off the top of my head, no playtesting, no balancing, but some variant on this mechanic should be workable.

reapersaurus

First Post
hmm.. interesting idea, with the Imitate Feat.

It is a big step in the right direction to emulating Taskmaster's abilities.

But the idea of Taskmaster was that he was just a human that was blessed with Photographic Reflexes. And that he remembered what he studied.
So maybe if he could keep the feats in memory, but be unable to obtain any SUPER powers.

Wait a minute - kinda like the Forsaker prestige class without the stupid magic-destruction requirement. :)

Taking the Photographic Reflexes feat brings a steep cost - you cannot get Super Strength etc. I'd have to make a list of the things he could use (maybe Projectile Attack, Shield, Improved Weaponry and the mundane stuff - some from gadgets).

But he couldn't enhance his physical or mental stats in any way.

How expensive would the Photographic Reflexes be with that BIG restriction, but with the power of eventually probably learning all the combat feats?

(The Hero class actually fits him pretty darned well - low HP, no skills, low overall BAB.)

novyet

First Post
It'd be cool to see the ability to gain sacred/profane bonuses to things. For heroes who are the chosen of a deity, or some such. As for the luck power, maybe 1 reroll per day per 5 ranks?

Also will there be any more thoughts on post 20th level characters, or will that be delayed until the ELH reaches the SRD?

Remove ads