The Blade of Phoee (Updated 12/08/08)

Funeris

First Post
I can go on, no worries. Family time...is...draining. So, Once I'm done updating the other SH (probably another week or two), I'll be back here, doing my thing again.

~Fune

Funeris

First Post
Chapter 8: Devils in the Dark

I have returned! :cool:

Hope you missed me. ;) Let's begin Chapter 8: Devils in the Dark, shall we? I can't guarantee a steady stream of updates...life is hectic right now. But I'll do my best.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tobus!

The shifting shadow swayed in the dark evening. It was nearly invisible in that dim light even without the enhancements that could make it vanish into the thin, crisp air. It stood near a well which was full to the brim from the early winter snows. The water soaked up some of the faint light, reflecting the entire spectrum of color like a rainbow.

The water was poisoned.

But not every one had perished; only the weak and infirm. Many yet lived for the moment, grasping their fleeing strength. The wails of the dying created a cacophonous symphony.

Tobus! The shadow screamed again.

A few guards along the embattlements shuddered against the shrieking wail. None turned toward its source. Their eyes were locked outward searching for threats.

Within those stone walls, no creature stirred in the courtyard aside from that shadow. No sign of life was present. Even the grass had vanished, dead or buried beneath the layer of snow.

The shadow, End-Bringer, slid across the frozen landscape, without leaving a mark upon the snow. Tobus was hustling through the courtyard at a pace to quick for the old priest.

End-Bringer drifted nearer.

Tobus’ leg shot out at an unnatural angle as his balance failed. A sharp crack preceded the priest’s crash into the hard dirt, ice and cold snow.

The shadow examined the wound, waiting in absolute silence for the weak mortal to cry out in pain. But Tobus did not. The priest laid there, head against the snow, breathing shallowly with his leg twisted perpendicularly to his body.

End-Bringer snorted, ruffling his cloak and jingling the chains beneath. How is the pain priest?

“Wonderful,” he whimpered.

The shadow chuckled maliciously. Liar. I have a task for you. It tossed a satchel at Tobus, hitting him in the chest and eliciting a painful groan. You are to head due north of this place. There is a tower across the lake. Deliver that package to the cleric there in service to the King.

“Yes, sir,” Tobus groaned. Although it pained him to move, he bowed his head slightly further in respect.

Heal your leg now and go! The matter is most urgent! And do NOT circle the lake. Grab a boat and row your damned, feeble body across.

Tobus rolled to his back, unleashing a torrent of divine energy into his leg. The bone popped back into place; muscles, tendons and ligaments knitted together once again. Without losing his momentum, Tobus murmured, “Yes, my lord,” and shuffled from the courtyard.

His pace was slower, more careful during the exit.

Leiban! End-Bringer screamed.

As if waiting for the sign, the door to the prison swung open immediately. It wrapped against the stone wall as Leiban’s corpse, all stitched back together, hobbled toward its master.

“Lord,” his gravelly voice spit as he knelt.

Gather the forces, slave. Our Lord has spoken and commands us to War.

“What of Mayor,” Leiban coughed, “ex-mayor Rowan and the surviving townsfolk?”

I will deal with Gabe. Let the others starve. We leave immediately for Llewyllyn Manor.

Funeris said:
I have returned! :cool:
And so has one of your readers. :)
You sit out for just under two months here and people think it's a long time. Wait until they have to wait almost a year. ;) I'm sure they'll then have something to truly complain about. :D
I think I might just have to go back to the start of this and re-digest it since it has been so long. ;) [sits down for a good afternoon's read].

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Remove ads