The Blade of Phoee (Updated 12/08/08)

Funeris

First Post
javcs said:
I like this SH.

Gives me ideas. :]

Hi and welcome to the SH. I'm glad you're enjoying it. What's crazy is that I'm just now (partially thanks to that lovely 15 month hiatus) catching up to the session that we had prior to Post #14 back on page 1, more than two years ago.

Crazy.

So, welcome, again. And I'll try to make sure you all enjoy.

~Fune

Funeris

First Post
Chapter 8: Devils in the Dark (Continued)

Very short update. Apologies. I'll update at least once more before next Sunday.

~Fune

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The priest gargled a painful shout as one meaty, oversized hand clamped his throat closed. His face erupted in reds and blues. Stars erupted in front of his eyes. His last breath, caught just below the stitching in the golem’s hand, threatened to burst out of his body.

A high-pitched wailing filled the cleric’s ears. He realized with some sadness the scream was female and not his own.

Tobus’ left leg twitched violently as the golem’s arm extended, causing the hardwood of the double door to dominate his spine. He was pinned; the world was spinning and swiftly approaching blackness.

* * *​

The horse reared in mid-stride, its black mane whipped across Cassock’s face. Its rear legs threatened to snap under the strain of its own weight and speed. As fast as it had shot upward into the air, gravity pulled its kicking front legs down. The hooves rent the dirt of the forest and Cassock grasped tightly to maintain his balance. His companions, still a distance behind, had the advantage to slow more carefully. They trotted up behind after only a few moments.

A mere fifty feet ahead, a rider in black and crimson blocked the path. Once the companions reined in their horses, he slid like a shadow running from the midday sun off the back of the black steed. The reins fell from his hands. He stalked forward carefully, only two pinpricks of burning red visible within the visor of his helm. He was all black and crimson armor and clothing.

“I should handle this,” Cassock quietly suggested. He dismounted. Aramil followed next.

“We have your back,” Ana swore as she, too, leapt to the earth. The priest grunted in assent.

Undead, the chilling voice of the blade whispered in Aramil’s ears. This One Has Not Walked In The Light In Some Time. Aramil nodded, unconsciously and whispered the information.

“All the more reason for me to handle this,” the priest intoned.

The rider halted. Five feet of dead space separated Cassock and he. Orrin’s red eyes flared behind the visor. He breathed deeply the scent of the trespassers. His lust flared within his stomach, up through his throat and into his jaws. His own fetid blood filled his mouth when his fangs tore into the flesh of his lower lip. The taste of his last meal—a peasant that had been quite succulent—tasted of naught but rot when compared to the scent surrounding him.

Orrin was glad for the armor he wore now for not only the protection it would offer him but that it cloaked his facial expressions. The hunger in his face would betray him. It would need to be swallowed—the pungency and sweetness of these mortals would have to be ignored.

Exhaling, the scent passed out of his body and his words formed, “You are trespassing on the King’s lands.”

Funeris

First Post

Sorry I didn't manage to get another update in this past week. Work has been busy.

However, happy Birthday to me and happy birthday to you. Here is a longer update than is typical.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thin, preserved strips of flesh peeled away from the golem’s chunky hands easily. The stars before Tobus’ eyes were exploding more and more rapidly with each passing breathless moment. He could not scream. He could not verbally pray and knowing his own Lord so well, he knew that it would be useless to do so were it possible. Suffering was a part of life, a major part of life for the weak. If it were His will to die, so it would be.

For the first time in Tobus’ life, regret and disappointment gripped his heart.

“Release him,” hissed a nearby voice. The meaty claw opened and the ground roughly caught the priest. His knees buckled and the world spun end-over-end until he was sitting upright, between the thighs of the monstrosity.

“Get up,” the raspy voice ordered. Tobus breathed deeply, too deeply for his location and had to choke down a small amount of bile. The scent of preserved decay surrounded his head like a cloud. It smelled of wetness and earth and rot. “Return to your positions,” the voice sounded again. “Do not move unless the chalice is disturbed.”

Tobus’ eyes opened in awe as he realized not one of the guardians had descended upon him—four had. Four flesh-crafted golems were stationed in this seemingly empty tower. Four highly expensive creations—things he had only ever heard of in passing at the temples in Norda Saam—lurched back to their positions surrounding the circular table. The empire, no, his God, truly was powerful to give such blessings to his servants. Blackrose then must be a powerful member of the clergy.

“GET UP,” the voice hissed again. A pallid, oval shape leered out of the gloom of the shadows. The hard angles of his nose and jaw were emphasized by a set of beady, dagger eyes that cut through Tobus without any effort and the cold reflection of the far away torch light off Blackrose’s hairless head.

The sounds of dripping gripped Tobus’ ears as he struggled to take in more air—air which shimmered and felt more malevolent than all the hate in Blackrose’s eyes. Tobus noted the ritualistic dagger in the other priest’s hand—covered in blood. The dripping was two-fold in its origin. Somewhere behind that priest, near the golems and probably near the aforementioned chalice was the other source.

Tobus spooked as the wind—was it really the wind?—began to murmur around the interior of the tower, spinning rapidly like a vortex. Blackrose’s bald, oblong head tilted his head as if to listen. The murmuring rose to a wailing and was joined by multiple screams. Tobus’ blood curdled.

The ceiling of the tower was beginning to fill with a strange mixture of dancing light—hopefully from the moons. Something important was happening, Tobus felt, as the wind increased again in intensity, filling his ears with a roaring and coalescing to near-physicality. Suddenly, he lurched into the air, the preternatural wind holding him in the air.

Fear spurred Tobus’ heart to a rapid pulsing.
Blackrose let out a hoarse laugh. “Not this one. Too frail, too frail. It is not his task and he will be dead soon.” The sharp lines of his mouth drew into a feral grin. “I am Nar’za,” he bellowed over the rising cacophony of the wind. His head had resumed its natural angle, his eyes needling into Tobus’ flesh. Tobus barely held back the bile as the wind lifted him to perfect rigidity above the floor, his toes dangling inches above the stone. “Why are you here…” Nar’za began to question, his head tilting ever so slightly again, listening intently, “…Tobus?”

Tobus moved to lift his arms, to cover his ears, to drown out the maelstrom and the screams of agony but the wind stalled his movement, snapping his arms behind, near to their breaking points. Pain lanced down the nerves in his arms, gripping his back in spasms of pain. Warmth spread along his thighs, filling his robes with moisture.

“You are here,” Nar’za continued with his head cocked, “to deliver a package. A package you have been intelligent enough not to open.” The light along the ceiling—a red and silver blending—danced fluidly, rippling and casting odd contrasts of light and shadow over the entire room. Out of the corner of his eye, Tobus thought he saw the maelstrom draw itself into a shadowy form, vaguely human in shape, but when his head turned he saw nothing but empty space. “You did, however, manage to poison an entire ship of fishermen. Good for you.” The sardonic smirk was unmistakable.

Tobus felt a shifting in his satchel and then the package he was meant to deliver drifted through the air and to Nar’za’s extended hand. The package was open a half-second later, his captor eagerly pouring through the correspondence. A darkening frown spread across his features as the second scroll was read until finally, Nar’za looked at Tobus. “Your god has reserved a special place in Hell for you. You may go,” he hissed and turned, moving toward the stairs.

Father Matlick clenched as the maelstrom spun him around and his ears filled with the whistling wind which almost formed a hoarse, “WHAT?!,” before his aged knees were slammed into the floor and he collapsed on all fours. The wind pulled away from the priest, seemingly to follow Nar’za up the staircase. Tobus struggled for the handle to the door and pulled it open as quickly as possible. He struggled to his feet and passed through the portal, drawing the door shut as he cast one frightened glance back at the unmoving statues of sewn flesh.

* * *​

“All of the lands were created by the gods. They belong to no King,” Cassock retorted with a cocky sneer. “We shall pass.” Aramil stepped closer to the young priest, hoping to reinforce their resolve with strength in numbers. A guttural laugh was the only response.

“These lands are the King’s. This Empire is his. And it is on his lands you trespass.” Cassock opened his mouth but the knight in black and crimson continued, “Should you travel any farther onto the King’s lands, I have been granted the authority to serve as judge, jury and executioner for your crimes.

“I have taken the time to inform you of the possible crime you are about to commit. Any further action on your part will result in an immediate judgment of guilty. The punishment for your crime will be a sentence of death to be executed, so to speak, immediately.” The hunger spread again into his every limb. Orrin ripped the helmet from his head, tossing it to the ground. With a quick movement, he slid from his steed and unsheathed his blade. He gritted his fangs, obvious bloodlust burning in his eyes. Although he struggled against it, he felt the beast growing within. Their pungency was too much. “Execution,” he restated. “Unless…” his words trailed to nothingness and he waited.

“We will not,” Cassock blurted but was cut off as Aramil placed a hand on his shoulder.

“What are your terms?” Cassock’s mouth dropped open as he turned and stared at the half-elf. Aramil ignored the gaze and again opened his annoying mouth, “You wouldn’t say ‘Unless’ unless there were some way we could peaceably pass on the King’s lands. What is it you want? Money? Women?” Cassock’s eyes grew larger and larger as his hand gripped the mace tighter and tighter.

Orrin laughed again, which drew the priest’s gaze to him. “I want you to join me.”

Cassock’s mind screamed as his vision dimmed around the pin-prick red eyes of the knight. The command—more powerful than any natural request or order—reverberated in his mind, demanding control of every part of his being. The assault was nearly overwhelming.

All you need do is join me,” Orrin the Red repeated and Cassock felt his control slip further. The vampire then turned his gaze to Aramil, his hypnotic eyes swallowing the half-elf as easily as the eyes of a puppy could capture the love of a child. “We could be allies. Your power multiplied by my own. Our strength would be unstoppable. Just think of it.” Orrin inched closer, his mouth half open, his tongue lolling about behind the fangs.

“Yes,” Aramil murmured. “There’s no reason for us to fight—except as a team. We could use your power just as you could use our aide.” The half-elf turned back to repeat louder his epiphany to the others, exposing his neck to the bloodlust-driven demon.

The pulsing of Aramil’s neck artery drove the vampire’s lust beyond controllable. His mouth opened to its full extent and he was suddenly in motion, darting forward.

The red eyes glowed and shifted in Cassock’s mind’s eye, but another symbol was rising to consume the command. Cael’s holy image grew around the red light, adding strength to the priest’s already amazing will. His arm danced out, the heavy mace extending to his full reach and he felt a shudder in his arm as the head impacted with the undead’s face.

A howl erupted in the night air as Orrin fell back, fetid blood oozing from mouth and nostrils. The lust thrummed through the vampire’s every muscle. He issued another command while he maintained his last shreds of humanity but Cassock’s response was not one of acquiescence. Another heavy blow landed solidly against the vampire, knocking him back another step. Cassock stepped in.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?! Aramil’s hands latched around his ears but the voice that twisted his stomach and split his head was from within. AID YOUR TRUE ALLY, it shouted again—effectively ending the control that had been asserted over his will. A faint regret lingered in his mind, but Aramil found that emotion displaced as the powerful weapon he held pierced the vampire’s flesh again and again.

Zayda and Anastrianna joined the fray, closing around Orrin. Weapon thrust after weapon thrust fell again and again on the creature. The ground was soaked with the blood of the undead—of its victims. Orrin tried to raise his weapon, only to have it knocked away by a fierce blow by Cassock.

The Red shrunk beneath a thrust of Zayda’s sword and his flesh shifted, becoming mottled with fur and his arms expanding to take the shape of leathery wings. He sped up—his new body that of a bat—toward freedom.

The stars in the sky were suddenly drowned out by the brown of cloth. Orrin squealed in anger as the haversack caught him. Ana held her prize to the ground as Cassock and Aramil pummeled it ceaselessly.

“Quickly,” Cassock grumbled as he grabbed the satchel and moved to the forest line. He cast a traitorous look at Aramil but said nothing as the half-elf followed him. Along the edge of the tree line, a small stream fled toward the nearby lake. Cassock thrust the haversack below the waterline and opened it.

A few minutes later, the priest pulled the satchel, now empty, from the water. He stood, Aramil following suit. The half-elf could not react quickly enough as a mailed fist launched out, batting him against the back of his skull. The world spun for half a second and he heard the priest’s words, “Never disobey me again.”

Aramil blinked and realized he was on the ground as Cassock walked away. His mouth flopped open and closed like a fish on dry land. IF YOU KNOW WHAT IS GOOD FOR YOU, YOU WILL NOT SAY ANYTHING RIGHT NOW, the metallic, female voice calmly stated. The half-elf nodded.

“Let’s go,” Cassock yelled. “We’re almost to the spire.” And probably already too late, he thought as he saw Enoch and Styg embracing in the heavens.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Man was I that much of an @ss playing Cassock ;)

Cassock tends to be single-minded at times. In another world, he might have been easily turned to Blackguard.

Funeris

First Post

They turned to the stair, ready to ascend the handful of stairs as the door wrenched open. An old man spilled from the opening, yanking the door shut behind. Twisting, his ankle burst and he tumbled down the cool stone to land prostrate before them. He looked up.

“Tobus!” Cassock growled.

The old man hissed in response, rearing back. A soft light drifted from Tobus’ wrinkled hand and into his useless ankle. The bone knit itself together again.

“You will not escape justice this time, priest.” Cassock leveled his bloody blade at Tobus.

“I am not here as your enemy. I am only here to deliver a message to this tower’s master,” the priest sniveled.

“No matter. As Cael’s proxy, I will pass his judgment on you, follower of Ara’kull.” The others watched the tip of Cassock’s sword sear into Tobus’ flesh in silence.

“I will not fight you!” Tobus shrieked.

“Guilty.”

Metal slid silently between ribs. The cold steel burned as it passed through muscle, lung and heart. Hatred filled Tobus’ eyes as blood filled his mouth and painted his lips.

“I go now to my, God,” he rasped. “Your suffering is only beginning.” Wet sucking drowned the rest of the curse. Life left the priest’s eyes and his body slid from the blade.

“You go now to Cael,” Cassock corrected but his voice held doubt. A shadow stretched up from Tobus’ body, another soul dragged toward the capital. He cleaned his sword on the priest’s body, then rifled through the few possessions.

“Are we ready, yet?” Aramil begged, impatience obvious.

“Yes,” Cassock blurted. A scream snatched their attention, proved his answer false.

A man broke from the wood, two hundred feet away in a full run. His colors were hidden by night but the cut of his armor clearly marked his allegiances to the royal army. He screamed again, bastard sword waving in the air.

Cassock grumbled, readying his blade. Was there no end to their line of foes?

Ana and Zayda lifted arrows to their bows.

Aramil paused, listening intently to the sword’s cool voice. FEAR. HE DOES NOT ATTACK. HE FLEES. BE READY. Aramil thought to speak up but the sword stopped him. THERE, SEE IT? ANOTHER UNDEAD.

A dark form, faster and quieter than the dead separated itself from the shadow of the forest. It allowed the soldier to set the pace, keeping just close enough that its prey would feel the pressure.

“Undead,” Aramil advised.

“I know, I can feel it,” Cassock replied. “Be ready.”

The distance between the groups vanished as the soldier charged. The shadow allowed it. When the soldier was only thirty feet away, Cassock prepared his sword, drawing it back for a powerful blow.

The shadow struck.

Its lithe form became the sky, expanding and filling the world with terror and death. The soldier’s eyes widened with shock. Inky talons slid into his back as the thing became part of him. His blood became its blood.

Death closed around the soldier’s heart, ending its rhythm. His body crashed into the earth, a few hand-spans from Cassock. The shadow landed lightly thereby.

“Is it really you?” It questioned. “Truly? After all these years?” It stepped into the light. A line of blood streamed across its pallid chin. It reached a hand up, a cold finger and thumb closing on Cassock’s jaw.

Rhynos turned the cleric’s head to the left and the right. The scent—their scent—their life was potent, overwhelming. But it was not right, not quite. Similar but not the scent of the destruction in Divi’sad.

“You’re not him,” Rhynos spit with disdain, releasing his hold.

“I am Cassock of Cael,” the priest replied, unsure.

“Yes, yes,” Rhynos bellowed, “but you’re not HIM!”

A scream echoed from the tower. Cassock looked at its high walls. “We’ll sort this out momentarily,” he promised.

Aramil took his cue and examined the door. “Not trapped or locked,” he murmured. Taking a deep breath, he pulled the doors open.

Moonlight fell across a large chamber, revealing a circular wooden table and a chalice. Large, nearly-hidden forms stood sentry nearby, statues of stitched flesh.

Aramil saw the flicker of torchlight dancing up the staircase winding around the inside of the tower. Zayda could see only the chalice.

Aramil darted for the stairs. Zayda sped across the floor for the chalice.

“No, WAIT!” Cassock ordered.

“You’re definitely not him.”

Zayda’s leapt onto the table nimbly, her fingers closing around the chalice. The four dark forms shuddered to life, lurching toward her, meaty fists striking at her body.

Aramil was halfway to the torch. Just a little further.

DEFINITELY A LIVING FOE, the sword commented.

“My kind of enemy,” Aramil quipped, sure. Then the stair was opening before him, gravity and his weight springing the trap. Seventy feet of darkness yawned at him with a hungry maw.

Aramil fell.

Funeris

First Post

Stupid, he cursed silently as the spikes drove through his armor, shredding skin and splintering bone. YES, the feminine voice from the sword agreed. VERY STUPID. Aramil’s mind exploded with pain as his body continued to thrash on the spears and a fire borne of magic erupted.

His flesh blackened, the life oozed from his broken body. A numbness spread down his spine. POISON, she informed.

“I’m not dead yet,” Aramil swore, blood staining his blistered lips.

LISTEN, she demanded.

He pushed at the screaming agony in his body, issuing from his body. Pushed, shoved, mastered it. He found no silence beyond his howling. A soft tic-ticking was nearby.

Aramil twisted, a spike tore the side of his neck. But his head twisted so he could see the device in the wall. A silver panel fashioned as a blade of a guillotine crawled toward the top of the device, a clock recording the resetting of the trap Aramil assumed. At the bottom of the guillotine, a prostrate form lied headless.

“$*!*,” he swore.

TIME IS ALMOST UP. For the first time, Aramil noted sadness in that voice. He turned his head toward where he had fallen.

“Hurry.”

* * *​

“What would you like me to do?” Rhynos asked as he slouched against the wall.

“Die,” Cassock spat. Rhynos chuckled.

Zayda spun out of the way of one of the fists but another cracked her back, tossing her toward another of the guardians. The elf, light on her toes, twisted in midair and managed to stop short, pushing back flat against the table. A pair of meaty fists arced toward her prone form.

Cassock reached into his divine power, drawing on a simple orison. The chalice Zayda held radiated no power. “That’s not even the right cha—”

A flash of light. Aramil screamed. The smell of singed flesh and burnt hair filled the air.

“I could—” Rhynos began.

“Yes, GO,” ordered Cassock. The undead spun toward the stair and began leaping up its length four stairs at a time.

Anastrianna dodged right, sliding beneath the golem and returning to a crouch. She unleashed two arrows which may as well have been gnats to the stitched creature. Ana looked left and right, searching for a way out of her corner.

Cassock’s sword snapped into a golem’s side. Seams ripped, spewing filth and stink down the length of his blade.

Behind it, two of its brethren brought their fists down into Zayda hard. The table beneath her split from the force. The chalice rolled from her fingers.

Rhynos saw the flickering torchlight above make its final turn. Its carrier must have reached the top level. For a moment, he considered ignoring the rogue in the pit. Aramil gurgled. The smell was sweet.

Rhynos leapt into the pit, clinging to its wall as he slid toward the half-elf.

“No time,” Aramil rasped. His eyes flickered toward the wall. Rhynos saw the guillotine blade reach its pinnacle.

The vampire growled, one taloned hand snapping shut around Aramil’s neck, the other reaching out as he leapt upward. As Aramil’s body separated from the poisoned spikes, the guillotine dropped and another ball of fire erupted. Rhynos was shielded by the half-elf’s body. The magic propelled them both upward.

One of the golems fell to Cassock’s blade and the priest actively grabbed the attention of one attacking Zayda. Thankfully, the elf had managed to somehow draw her blade and attack from the floor. She could only hit the ankles of the monstrosities but it would help.

Cassock’s blade slid into the back of another beast. From somewhere, a woman bellowed in agony. The priest glanced up. High above, powerful magics hung. His ribs splintered as one of the golems pounded into his side.

Funeris

First Post

Aramil moaned, his skin charred and cracked and bleeding.

Rhynos’ nose caught the scent of fire being born above. Below, the sweet perfume of death hung in the air. The vampire watched Aramil’s eyelids flutter open. He grinned and ran a tongue across the blackened skin and blood of the half elf. He spit, “I prefer my meals rare.”

Feebly, Aramil tried to use his sword as a shield.

Chuckling, Rhynos tensed and kicked away from the staircase, feeling the world lose its grip upon him. If blood still pumped through his body, he might have felt some exhilaration. Already, the blood from his last kill had burned away leaving only the cold distance of reality.

The priest of Cael—not THE priest but a priest similar in scent, power and, perhaps, bloodline—danced with one of the golems below. The dance was clumsy; burdened by the weight of the great sword the priest wielded. Perhaps if the priest had a few of Rhynos’ gifts he would not be so clumsy.

A feral grin split the vampire’s face as he landed nimbly on the golem’s shoulders, tearing into dead flesh and sinew with razor talons.

Some of the pain fled. Wounds knitted and blackened flesh sloughed off, replaced by sore, baby-pink skin beneath. Aramil rolled to his side, reaching for another potion vial. His eyes caught the flicker of fire above.

DO NOT, the blade commanded.

Aramil struggled to his feet, swallowing the fourth vial. The monster had set him on the stair just before the pit trap. Typical. Aramil glanced at the simply carved stone, following the thin gap that could have revealed the pit’s presence. The stair had closed, resetting the trap for the next idiot to bumble onto it.

He continued to search. There had to be a trigger, a control of some kind to lock the trap and allow safe passage. He saw it; a tilted wall sconce on the high side of the trap. If he leapt, he might be able to make the distance and turn the trap off.

DO NOT!!! the voice shrieked inside his mind again. He slid her into the scabbard.

“Have to,” Aramil calmly replied as he stepped back, leaned, and leapt forward. Three quarters of the way up, his feet grazed the floor. The trap swung open, hungry maw ravenously begging for its meal.

“Sh*t!”

IDIOT.

Aramil flailed his arms like wings as his feet entered the maw. By Caevari’s grace, Aramil slammed into the side of the pit, hands scrambling to cling to the stone. He slipped an inch, then two, before managing to swing an elbow out of the pit. Leveraging against it, he pushed up and out.

“I’m not that big of an idiot—See!” The half-elf stood and twisted the sconce. He was rewarded with a metallic grinding as the stairs lifted back into position to lock.

Drawing the sword again, he double-timed up the stairs. A glance back showed the rest of the group beginning the ascent. He pushed harder, trying to make it to the source of fire.

The stairs ended at an open room, sparsely decorated. A small cot relaxed in one far corner while a grand desk stood in the center of the floor, filling the room with smoke as fire massaged and devoured the parchments scattered across the desk.

A pallid, emaciated man stood in the far corner, dressed in robes crafted from utter darkness. His hands twisted, finishing an incantation. A black bolt of energy spiraled across the floor, slamming into Aramil.

The rogue gritted his teeth, clenched his eyes shut. Pain ravaged his body, reopening freshly closed wounds.

When the pain passed, his eyes opened. The desk continued to burn brightly. The pallid man had vanished.

IDIOT, the cold, feminine voice judged again.

Remove ads