• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Book of Exalted Deeds - It's Here! (merged - full ToC posted)

There are 30+ new feats - an entire chapter of the book. Here's a neat one for combat lovers:

Resounding Blow
Your mightiest attacks cause your foes to tremble before you.
Prereq: Str 13, Power Attack, Intimidate 7 ranks.
Benefit: When you deal a critical hit... your opponent must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 char lvl + Cha bonus) or cower for 1 round.

A nifty appendix lists all celestial creatures in official D&D books, by CR. So:

Warden Archon, CR 8
Owl Archon, CR 11
Sword Archon, CR 11
Throne Archon, CR 15

drnuncheon

Explorer
LuYangShih said:
The alignment rules are so undeveloped and undetailed that many DMs propose throwing them out of the game altogether to avoid potential headaches. Having a clear definition of what the Good alignment in D&D really means would have been quite welcome.

On the other hand, such a "clear definition" of Good in D&D terms would probably be what would cause me to throw out the alignment system...because it would cause more headaches than it solved.

J

gtJormungand

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
Resounding Blow
Your mightiest attacks cause your foes to tremble before you.
Prereq: Str 13, Power Attack, Intimidate 7 ranks.
Benefit: When you deal a critical hit... your opponent must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 char lvl + Cha bonus) or cower for 1 round.

That feat sounds very promising.

Can we also get a list of the prestige classes in the book?

Voadam

Legend
MeepoTheMighty said:
Says who? I would think that paladins more than anyone else would have a vested interest in helping better people's lives.
Well I'd agree with the definition that paladins are holy warriors.

Wraithdrit

First Post
drnuncheon said:
On the other hand, such a "clear definition" of Good in D&D terms would probably be what would cause me to throw out the alignment system...because it would cause more headaches than it solved.

J

Can I get an Amen?

As we have seen in the past day, Lu and I differ dramatically on alignment issues and paladin issues. I think the book sounds intrigueing for the exact reasons Lu doesn't like it, and I think if it had what Lu desires I would be all about giving it a pass.

As it is, between the four boosters of minis and Underdark I just bought, I can't afford this one yet! But soon. This, Book of Vile Darkness and the Miniature Handbook will be mine!

Lots of crunchy bits in them all, or so I hear.

FrankTrollman

First Post
I'm not sure I like Resounding Blow.

If a Paladin is running around with a Keen Scimitar, he'll get people to make a save with 30% of his hits. The same Paladin with a Keen Pick would only force a save with 10% of his hits.

Those two weapons do equivalent average damage per hit and are supposed to be the same in virtually all ways - the Pick at the very least should force three saves or make people cower for three rounds on a failed save or something.

-Frank

BoED - Prestige Classes

As requested, the PrCs from the Book of Exalted Deeds.

Anointed Knight - gains ancestral weapon benefits (cf. OA samurai)
Apostle of Peace - forswears violence
Beloved of Valarian - women dedicated to the unicorn deity Valarian
Celestial Mystic - spellcaster dedicated to the Seven Heavens
Champion of Gwynharwyf - exalted barbarian
Defender of Sealtiel - exalted dwarven defender (thematically)
Emissary of Barachiel - diplomat and peacemaker
Exalted Arcanist - 5 level PrC for sorcerers
Fist of Raziel - a knightly order dedicated to holy warfare against evil
Initiate of Pistis Sophia - exalted monk
Lion of Talisid - exalted druid/ranger-type
Prophet of Erathaol - seer and visionary
Risen Martyr - an exalted character who returns from the dead
Sentinel of Bharrai - spellcasters who venerate "The Great Bear of Elysium"
Skylord - an elf* crusader with a flying mount
Slayer of Domiel - exalted assassin (!)
Stalker of Kharash - use stealth to track and hunt evildoers
Swanmay - a secretive order that protects the wilderness from evil
Sword of Righteousness - exalted warrior (3 level PrC, grants exalted feats)
Troubadour of Stars - exalted bard
Vassal of Bahamut - a devout, nondraconic champion of the Dragon King
Wonderworker - exalted spellcaster (3 level PrC, grants exalted feats)

* By law, all WotC products must contain at least one twinky elf PrC or subrace.

Gez

First Post
Musteval: That's a new one. What is it, a holy weasel? Ermin, maybe?

"Choosing between fighting evil and honoring love": If, at least, the loved one of the evil lover wasn't also an incarnation of wickedness and depravity...

Skylord: :roll:

Swanmay: Cool, they're back!

Overall, I give it a yawn, although I may get it for the celestials that are still missing from the cosmology otherwise. There's an impressive choice of planar allies and planar bond when you're into evil outsiders, but the choices are more limited for good spellcasters.

Remove ads