• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Canary riddle

Lady89

First Post
I need a little help, Pathfinder has a canary available for a pet, but no stats for it. Normally I admit there is no real need for canary stats but my character speaks auran and a high handle animal. The GM has told me that I can use the bird for scouting but only if I can find some believable stats for it. So if you know were I can find some sort of little bird stats that I can use as a canary, or you have a home made you would give me that would be wonderful.

Nagol

Unimportant
I shrunk the raven entry in the SRD a size category.

Canary
Diminutive Animal
Hit Dice: 1/4 d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 5 ft (1 square), fly 40 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 16 (+4 size, +2 Dex), touch 16, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–17
Attack: —
Full Attack: —
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 4
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +7
Feats: Alertness
Environment: Tropical islands
Organization: Solitary, mated pair, flock (10-40)
Challenge Rating: 1/10
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —
Canaries are small seed eating birds with bright feathers that are often kepts as pets.

Combat

I expect Pathfinder uses a slightly different creature stat block, but this is as far as I could take it with limited time.

Here are the stats for a raven:
Raven - Pathfinder_OGC

If I were to simulate a canary, I'd take those stats, and drop: low light vision, Dex by 4, the feats skill focus (perception) and weapon finesse, and the skill perception.

I'd add: 7 to charisma (giving a bonus of +2 at 14 Cha), and the feats skill focus (perform - singing) and , skill focus (diplomacy) and add the skill perform.

While a canary is a fun and viable scout, I don't think it's necessarily a primary/awesome scout.

I do think it could be more of a "spy"...performing, hanging out, and, using druid or ranger spells, communicating knowledge to its owner.

I'd use a canary to perform and ingratiate itself to others, and also to give an "aid another" to diplomacy checks.

As a dm, I'd rule that a successful perform check would be a +2 to the diplomacy check. As a total, that'd be +2 from charisma, +2 on a successful perform check, and the +3 bonus from skill focus (diplomacy).

So, should it sing well, that's +7 to an aid another on diplomacy and a +5 without singing well (a roll of 3 or 5 on a d20).

EDIT: Upon reading the above post...good idea shrinking it a size category.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
If you have access to the 3.5 DMG, it has stats for a thrush, under the "small familiars" entry for familiars for larger and smaller than medium NPCs. (It doesn't seem to be in the SRD.) I don't think anyone could argue with swapping a canary for a thrush.

My gnome illusionist uses one, and they're awesome scouts/messengers in an urban campaign. Things might go poorly in, say, the Underdark, however.

Siberys

Adventurer
In the bestiary, the 'familiars' entry should have a suitable avian. A modified Raven, as suggested above, would probably be best, but I honestly don't think you need stats for something like that. I mean, it won't be attacking anything during fights, will it?

A question, though; do you have speak with animals? Or scroll use or a familiar? I don't see how you'd be able to use a canary as a scout otherwise; how will you speak with it? I mean, I see you mentioned you speak Auran, and I hope I'm not bursting any bubbles, but creatures of elemental air speak that - genies, air elementals, and so on. Not mundane birds. It could still be used as a carrier pigeon, but that doesn't sound like what you're going for. Of course, if your DM's fine with it, this paragraph is moot. ;)

Lady89

First Post
If you have access to the 3.5 DMG, it has stats for a thrush, under the "small familiars" entry for familiars for larger and smaller than medium NPCs. (It doesn't seem to be in the SRD.) I don't think anyone could argue with swapping a canary for a thrush.

My gnome illusionist uses one, and they're awesome scouts/messengers in an urban campaign. Things might go poorly in, say, the Underdark, however.

Could some one give me thrush stats I don’t have 3.5 DMG

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads