The Canterbury Tales- Chapter 4: Dead Drunk

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Nodding in thanks to the newcomer the Professor follows the others.

[sblock=Marching Order] Francis (trapfinding?), The Knight, Duncan, The Professor, Borric is this correct? [/sblock]

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
OOC

[sblock]
We should have time to finalize the marching order, then admit Voda in before combat is initiated, but if not no big deal. The nice thing about making this a dream-world encounter is that reality does not have to be adhered to so strictly.
[/sblock]

The scouts continue onward through the following corridor. The corridor ends only fifty feet or so into some sort of garden or atrium room with a high, but open roof. Tall hedges line each ivy-covered wall, though their leaves look sickly and dark. The room itself is roughly twenty feet wide and sixty feet across, and a archway opposite of the party leads to some sort of central chamber. The floor is a field of overgrown grass which also looks strangely twisted. Close to the archway stands a man who looks like the priest who welcomed you to this dream world, except his eyes glow a dim red and his face is more drawn and sinister. He addresses your surprise. "I am not the Betrayer of Varath," he says. "Instead, I am an echo of who the priest once was. A memory of Varath come to greet and test whether you are worthy to become servants of the master. I am also here to show his power. He can make reality from memories and dreams and give me a semblance of life. Imagine what you could do with such power if you were to give your loyalty to Varath the Weaver. Defeat me and prove your worthiness."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The Professor takes in the beautiful garden, that appears to be growing in the middle of a building. He wanders along the hedge row oblivious to the priest before him. He studies the ivy and wonders outloud, "I don't see how this can appear to be dying and yet grow all over the walls like it... Oh hello, what was that you were saying? You wish for us to defeat you? At what excatly? Draughts, I-go, Piquet? I don't play cards very well if it's that you may have to find someone else."

The Professor sets done his suitcase, "I think I have a chess set here."

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Borric mutters to the Professor out the side of his mouth as he moves up beside him, "Hope you are better at chess than I am as performing. But then again this guy could be smart and not too artistic."

A little louder just so the others can hear as well, "The blighter said he was an echo, maybe he's not real. Should I put an arrow through him to be sure?"

ethandrew

First Post
"He challenges us willingly, as a gentleman. An arrow would be unfitting," Francis states coolly without taking his eyes off the apparition, even as his hands moves to loosen both his long sap and his rapier.

"What would you have of us, Echo: a game of wits or combat?" the young man calls out.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
"He challenges us willingly, as a gentleman. An arrow would be unfitting," Francis states coolly.

Borric speaks to the Professor out of the side of his mouth, "Unfitting aye, he might have a point." He gives a little chuckle at the pun regarding Francis's rapier, while he puts away his bow and gets his rapier out too. "Well it if be dueling the echo wants, I'm game, but not so sure about the gentleman part."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"What?" the Professor asks, then looking around to see the drawn weapons stops unlatching his suitcase. "Oh no," he says grabbing both the case and hatbox with Halford in it as he tries to back away. "Wouldn't you prefer a nice game of chess?"

[sblock=OOC] I got in a War Games quote how awesome is that, :p [/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The sound of the drums stop as the man's voice booms, "Good! You have chosen your weapons as I have chosen my own!" The man rushes towards the party, but only takes a few steps before he falls to the ground and grows into a larger, distorted shape. Before your eyes the man and his clothes becomes a man-sized spider with large, poison-dripping fangs.

OOC: Actions please.

ethandrew

First Post
Francis
HP: 8 AC: 15
F: 2 R: 5 W: 1

If Francis was taken aback by the sudden appearance of a large spider, he didn't quite show it. He quickly drew his rapier and moved to dive behind the beast, putting it directly between his companions and the pointy end of his sword.

Initiative Bonus of +3
Using quick draw, he will tumble (+7) to set up a flank with the spider. +3 to hit (+5 if flanking) dealing 1d6+3 (+ 1d6 Sneak Attack if flanking).

Remove ads