• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Captain's Caper! (Dunamin judging)

Atanatotatos

First Post
ooc:uhmmm... Phoenix, if I read the map correctly, it doesn't work this way. The swarm must move either through C3 or C2; in the first case, only Alex will get the OA, in the second, both Hrav and Alex, but without flanking, because OAs are immediate interrupts, so they take place before the swarm is in D2. Also, since Alex has combat superiority, he will stop the movement of the swarm, and since it can't end in an occupied square, it'll have to stop either in B2,B3,or B4.
Alex will attack after Hrav because of initiative count, so if the swarm goes through c3 it suffers two OAs anyway, but it shouldn't trigger Quagmire's readied action.
I'm sorry but at least the rats won't get to attack ^^

EDIT:on the other hand, the rats can resume moving, if they use their standard action to get to D2, still don't get to attack though.

OA:24 vs AC, 7 dmg

Alexander repels the small rats promptly, then slashes at two more with a wide swing.

[sblock=action]cleave vs D3, 15 vs Ac, 9 dmg and 4 dmg on G6; D3 is marked[/sblock]

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
OOC: Okay, you are right on a few things. The flanking bonus isn't gotten because they aren't between you yet when you get the OA's. But the rat swarm moved before the giant rats did, so there was a path to C2 then D2. (Look back at the map before the current one and see where the Giant Rats were and the path the Rat Swarm took before they got to move.) By stopping their movement does that use up their whole move action even if they had squares left? I've always been fuzzy on that aspect. Or can they just resume moving after being stopped and then go ahead with their attack on a standard action? Maybe the judge will swoop down to confirm?

Atanatotatos

First Post
ooc: if they move before the other rat the square is not occupied. Anyway their move action is stopped. They need to spend a standard to resume moving. Check the combat superiority fighter feature. Otherwise it'd be useless, wouldn't it?
It says somethin on the line of "the target can resume moving if it has actions left for its turn"

EDIT:The result would be: rat swarm moves to C2, is attacked by Hrav, then by Alex and stops. The other rat can't go to C2. It can go to D2 but risks being stopped too ^_^ 4e Fighters are awesome.

garyh

First Post
Hrav stabs fiercly at the swarm twice, surprising the little vermin and getting at least one good stab in.

[sblock=Mechanics]Opportunity Action - Attacks the Rat Swam with CA from Flanking and SA.

Opportunity Attack (with CA and SA) (1d20+7+2=13, 1d10+4+2d6+4=23)

Hits AC 13 for 23 damage (less if the rapier does less damage to swarms).

Standard action - Piercing Strike against Dire Rat 1, Combat Advantage granted by flanking.

Piercing Strike (1d20+7=27, 1d10+4=10)

CRITICAL! against Reflex for 14 damage (add another 16 damage from Sneak Attack if the first attack missed and this hit).[/sblock]

[sblock=Hrav's Info]Hrav Kortaga- Male Bugbear Rogue 1
Passive Perception: +17, Passive Insight: +16
AC:16, Fort:14, Reflex:16, Will:11 -- Speed:6
HP:24 + 8 temp/26, Bloodied:13, Surge Value:6, Surges left:4/8
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: used
Powers-
Deft Strike
Piercing Strike

Torturous Strike
Predatory Eye

Blinding Barrage

Full character sheet[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: I believe Ata's interpretation of combat superiority is correct. Otherwise, if the target could just resume its move action and use up whatever squares it had left, the class feature would have no effect at all. What I want to know is, can Alex decide not to interrupt the move with his OA if he chooses? 'cause I think it's better for us if the rat swarm is surrounded at D2. Should any of the enemies make it to D2, Quagmire's hammer and anvil hits reflex 23 for 5 damage and Hrav gets a free basic melee attack at +3 damage.

Atanatotatos

First Post
ooc: I believe Ata's interpretation of combat superiority is correct. Otherwise, if the target could just resume its move action and use up whatever squares it had left, the class feature would have no effect at all. What I want to know is, can Alex decide not to interrupt the move with his OA if he chooses? 'cause I think it's better for us if the rat swarm is surrounded at D2. Should any of the enemies make it to D2, Quagmire's hammer and anvil hits reflex 23 for 5 damage and Hrav gets a free basic melee attack at +3 damage.

...he can certainly choose not to apply the benefit. And, well, I guess he will. I'm not really sure it's the best thing tactically, but we have dragged the round enough, and for simplicity's sake let's say the round has gone as described.
...So now it's Hrav's basic attack again right?

garyh

First Post
OOC: Okay, it's been pointed out to me that Hrav sneak attacked in his last turn (shuriken attack with First Strike), and since he can only SA once between the start of turn A and the start of turn B, his OA from the swarm's movement cannot have SA damage. Which then means his Piercing Strike on his own turn can (and it crited!). Then, the free attack from Hammer and Anvil cannot have SA damage, Piercing Strike already using it for this turn.

Remove ads