D&D 5E The case for (and against) a new Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Your claim that ToA has everything you need to run any adventure in Chult is false.
There's a big difference between having everything you need, which was the claim, and quite true, and anything you might need, which seems to be your expectation. When someone says it had everything I needed to run my game in Chult, you don't get to say 'false'. It's obviously true: it happened, they did it, and it worked.

There's a big difference between having everything you need, which was the claim, and quite true, and anything you might need, which seems to be your expectation. When someone says it had everything I needed to run my game in Chult, you don't get to say 'false'. It's obviously true: it happened, they did it, and it worked.
It quite clearly demonstrably does not have everything that you need. Because it is missing information that is listed but is simply absent. Who then is overriding whose preferences?
The claim that "there is nothing that should be there that is not" is also demonstrably false.

If it lists things that then require homebrew that is demonstrably not having everything you need.

When someone says it had everything I needed to run my game in Chult, you don't get to say 'false'. It's obviously true: it happened, they did it, and it worked.
The post called out a generic "everything for everyone". Not just for singular games.

Post with the claim ->
Anyway, ToA has everything you need to run any adventure in Chult. It has maps, politics, key locations, random encounters, sidequests, stats for important NPCs, climate, natural hazards etc. Far far more than the 3rd edition FR sourcebook.

But it is easy to make that mistake if you do not bother to read the post.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
If it lists things that then require homebrew that is demonstrably not having everything you need.
You realize that no book ever produced for D&D actually meets this standard, right? Literally not a single one. This is why some of your comments leave me scratching my head.

You've also missed my point about the pretty vast difference between the words everything and anything relative to your expectations, if you want to wax snarky about reading posts and whatnot.

You realize that no book ever produced for D&D actually meets this standard, right? Literally not a single one. This is why some of your comments leave me scratching my head.

You've also missed my point about the pretty vast difference between the words everything and anything relative to your expectations, if you want to wax snarky about reading posts and whatnot.
The post called out a generic "everything for everyone". Not just for singular games.

Post with the claim ->
Anyway, ToA has everything you need to run any adventure in Chult. It has maps, politics, key locations, random encounters, sidequests, stats for important NPCs, climate, natural hazards etc. Far far more than the 3rd edition FR sourcebook.

But it is easy to make that mistake if you do not bother to read or understand the post.

You are missing the point that there is a substantial difference between assuming the statement is for personal games and a generic catch all for everyone.

If the post actually claimed it has everything the poster needed that would have been fine. Different strokes. But the poster goes further claiming "if you want to locate an adventure in Chult ToA gives you all you need".
If you want locate an adventure in Chult ToA gives you all you need.
Those are his words. Which is demonstrably false.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The phrase "all you need" pretty obviously doesn't mean what you think it means. It doesn't mean everything you might conceivably need. That phrase indexes the basic building blocks needed to run a campaign, which were listed in a post upstream. You're standard for contents in a setting book, never mind a mini-setting book are impossibly and implausibly high.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Which is why there is such a substantial disconnect between the claim and the reality.
I'm talking about you, not him. Your expectations, your special pleading, your shifting goalposts. I sympathize that you want more content than is in the book, but that's not really what's at issue here.

The phrase "all you need" pretty obviously doesn't mean what you think it means. It doesn't mean everything you might conceivably need. That phrase indexes the basic building blocks needed to run a campaign, which were listed in a post upstream. You're standard for contents in a setting book, never mind a mini-setting book are impossibly and implausibly high.
Nah. I would just like the adventure to even briefly describe the things it lists. But that is according to you impossibly and implausibly high.

Remove ads