• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Case For Castles & Crusades

zacharythefirst

First Post
Hey all,

This is a little something I posted to my blog, explaining why I've chosen C&C. I thought it might be helpful to those on the fence about C&C, so I'm reposting it here (here's the original link, for those interested):

The Case For Castles & Crusades

(Zack comes clean about his new game of choice).

I'm a vagabond, a wanderer of tabletop gaming. From my early forays in Palladium Fantasy and hideously houseruled 1st Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons games to my appreciation of Risus, Two-Fisted Tales, Epic Roleplaying, Rolemaster, Traveller, Rifts, and everything in-between, I have played and ran a tremendously large number of roleplaying games.

I've tried Troll Lord Games' Castles & Crusades before, had my Castle Keeper Screen signed by Gary Gygax himself in 2007. And though the sessions and demos I ran were fun, there was always something else to try. And being an ENnies judge for 2008 also ensured my free time to dedicate to any single game was severely lacking.

But in now coming back to it, and in loving both the exciting modern products out there and the original and homages to an earlier time in gaming, I have found Castles & Crusades to be so much of what I've been looking for. Very few times (I can count them on one hand) has a game purely "clicked" for me. As in I got it--I got the feel, the system, the direction. And that's what happened when I took my C&C Players Handbook in hand (and screen) once more. What did it? I don't know--a desired refinement of how I run my games, an re-examination for what I want out of my hobby, whatever. But I did want to share just a little of why I am so absolutely, genuinely, enthusiastically pleased with Castles & Crusades:

Bridging A Gap: I have friends who were weaned on the older editions of D&D, and those who have played nothing but 3rd Edition. Castles & Crusades allows me to sell elements of both those experiences, giving us a common meeting ground and a larger player base from which to draw. Its familiar to veterans, and easily picked up by novices.

Time: Plain and simple. Look, I have a wife, 2 kids and 1 on the way, and a lot more responsibility than Young Zack ever did. C&C's system, the SIEGE Engine, is so simple that it usually takes all of 3-5 minutes for gamers to get the gist of it. I want to be able to use all the resources I've built up over the years, run a game that encourages active, fast, inspiring GM (CK) rulings, not pace-killing rules lookup. I want low prep time, employing notes and material I already have. I'm ready to get back to the basics, and get down to gaming in a faster and leaner fashion.

A Place To Build Upon: Castles & Crusades is a framework. It isn't a toolbox so much as a sturdy workbench. This is seriously one of the most easily-houseruled games I have ever seen. You want skills, feats, some new magic system? Want to use THAC0? Have some insane d20 rule you plug into every game you play? Castles & Crusades not only allows you to plug those items in, its modularity will make it easy to do so. We are talking compatibility not only with the various prior editions and the d20 crowd, but efforts like Basic Fantasy, Labyrinth Lord, Mazes & Minotaurs, Fight On!, True 20, Paizo's and Adventure Games Publishing's docket of releases, and more. Hey, I have something from Iron Gauntlets I might throw in there. Or I can do nothing, and be just fine that way. There's just too much goodness out there that I may wish to look to for inspiration, and Castles & Crusades promises the integration of that goodness, easy-like. It's a baseline for it all.

A Style I Want: I don't want hours spent on hair-splitting character builds. I don't want reams of special powers for each player. I don't want skills and rigid, mutiple modifiers to get in the way of player initiative and creativity. I want me as a GM (CK) and my players to remember when we made rulings, not remained bogged down in rules. This ties into time constraints, but I want a fast-play, unified mechanic. I want the standard tropes and hallmarks of our shared hobby heritage there, unwarped. I want strong character archetypes. I want player backgrounds to matter in the course of play. I want so much of what has made the Old School Renaissance of gaming so inspiring to me and others. Of course, many of these lie at the feet of each Game Master/Castle Keeper, and can happen in any game. But its still good to have an RPG that's on your side about it.

A Company I Can Support: Troll Lord Games has never been anything but fantastic in our business dealings. The books are affordable. Their fan support online has been helpful and inspiring. When I was still in the military, Troll Lord contributed to a care package that was sent to a buddy of mine, and he was absolutely thrilled. It meant a lot to him, and by extension, to me. Their support of my friends and I in a tough, sometimes unpopular, unfashionable conflict will not be easily forgotten.

There is also the fact that Troll Lord Games was the last company Gary Gygax himself chose to be involved with. People can knock me for being overly sentimental and say that shouldn't matter for what game I'm playing, but that does carry some water with me. More importantly, I feel like Troll Lord is run by people who understand the innate and unique appeal of Gygaxian fantasy. They have the enthusiasm and heart I look for in a gaming company.

I've never been a one-game, one-system guy. There are too many great games out there I want to run--Epic, Rifts, Traveller, we aren't through yet. One day, I will again get to run In Harm's Way. And Castles & Crusades is ok with that. I know its there, willing to undertake any sort of tweaks or mods I might find in my travels. But I do know what game I'm coming home to. Castles & Crusades is my choice going forward to take advantage of the Old School Renaissance (heck, its my staging area for it), to keep that link going to a wider pool of players, and to maximize the time I have for quality, generation-spanning fun. That's why I'm on board with Castles & Crusades as my fantasy D&D cousin of choice. And together I see us, my friends, and eventually perhaps our kids having great adventures...

Brutorz Bill

First Post
C&C is alot of fun. I ran two different campaigns over a two year period.
We had a blast! Not currently playing it, but I'm sure it is only a matter of time before I play it again. I think my favorite thing about it is that it makes everything in my library readily useful.
Thanks for posting,
Brutorz Bill

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I'm currrently running a Pathfinder game, but I've been considering a stripped down version of the game to play with the older of my kids, and some curious noobs I know, so I picked up the PDF for the PHB and the monster book. It looks extremely playable.

One question though. I remember reading somewhere that old school modules plug right into it. As I said, I've only glanced through it and haven't really given it the time I need to fully digest it. Is it true that I can pull out my 1st/2nd/basic edition modules and run them with C&C?

Treebore

First Post
I'm currrently running a Pathfinder game, but I've been considering a stripped down version of the game to play with the older of my kids, and some curious noobs I know, so I picked up the PDF for the PHB and the monster book. It looks extremely playable.

One question though. I remember reading somewhere that old school modules plug right into it. As I said, I've only glanced through it and haven't really given it the time I need to fully digest it. Is it true that I can pull out my 1st/2nd/basic edition modules and run them with C&C?

Yes, its very true. I have ran "Against the Giants" twice now, and am going to do the rest of "Queen of the SPiders" using it. Very easy conversions, just invert the AC's to positive values, HD= their new to hit, and their save values. Pretty easy to convert everything else too. Spells, magic items, etc... Anything you want to use, from any edition of D&D, is easy to use.

Brutorz Bill

First Post

Darrin I had no problems using my old stuff. Ran Keep on the Borderlands, In Search of the Unknown, and several old Dungeon mag Dungeons (a la 2nd ed), as well as, some DCC's for one of my Campaigns. Little to no effort on Conversions.

Remathilis

Legend
A Place To Build Upon: Castles & Crusades is a framework. It isn't a toolbox so much as a sturdy workbench. This is seriously one of the most easily-houseruled games I have ever seen. You want skills, feats, some new magic system? Want to use THAC0? Have some insane d20 rule you plug into every game you play? Castles & Crusades not only allows you to plug those items in, its modularity will make it easy to do so. We are talking compatibility not only with the various prior editions and the d20 crowd, but efforts like Basic Fantasy, Labyrinth Lord, Mazes & Minotaurs, Fight On!, True 20, Paizo's and Adventure Games Publishing's docket of releases, and more. Hey, I have something from Iron Gauntlets I might throw in there. Or I can do nothing, and be just fine that way. There's just too much goodness out there that I may wish to look to for inspiration, and Castles & Crusades promises the integration of that goodness, easy-like. It's a baseline for it all.

I'm curious about this...

Lets say I want to use C&C, but I want 3e's 3-save system and Saga/4e's Trained/Untrained Skill System. It seems this would throw a giant monkey wrench in the SIEGE/Primes system as written. My concern is that it would make using monsters harder to use as written (and lets be honest, if I'm dropping money on a monster book, I don't want to have to re-write every single monster).

I am also concerned about how using a 4e skill set would break skill-dependent classes like ranger or rogue.

While it might be easy to wing something like converting a 1e module or converting a 3e spell, it seems like the actual system is pretty tight, and adding extraneous rules (like a skill system, or actual save-categories, or feats, or a sorcerer class) would break the system quite easily.

I'm interested to hear how others have modified C&C to actually incorporate some other D&D/d20 rules...

zacharythefirst

First Post
I'm curious about this...

Lets say I want to use C&C, but I want 3e's 3-save system and Saga/4e's Trained/Untrained Skill System. It seems this would throw a giant monkey wrench in the SIEGE/Primes system as written. My concern is that it would make using monsters harder to use as written (and lets be honest, if I'm dropping money on a monster book, I don't want to have to re-write every single monster).

I am also concerned about how using a 4e skill set would break skill-dependent classes like ranger or rogue.

While it might be easy to wing something like converting a 1e module or converting a 3e spell, it seems like the actual system is pretty tight, and adding extraneous rules (like a skill system, or actual save-categories, or feats, or a sorcerer class) would break the system quite easily.

I'm interested to hear how others have modified C&C to actually incorporate some other D&D/d20 rules...

Goodness! Sorry it took me a bit to respond!

I've seen some interesting houserules. While I stick mainly with some feat and combat bonus add-ons (I'm tweaking some classes), just as an example, I've seen two different skill systems that seem to work pretty well with C&C. There's the Castles Zagyg Skills & Options PDF, Jason Vey did a super-simple background system pdf. A friend of mine did an Untrained/Trained/Expert system, which was a simple 0/+2/+4. There's a couple of other examples out there, including this one, a personal fave.

Feats are fairly easy, most of them just granting a mechanical bonus in some sense or another. For example, were I to use a feat like Investigator, any time they had an opportunity that I felt was relating to searching or gather info, I'd allow them a +2 to their roll (or reduce their CR by two). One thing to remember for combat feats is that if you're doing things like Whirlwind attack, that's not something many CKs would insist you have as a specialty to do. Depending on your class and the like, it may be harder for an untrained character to do, but many CKs would give you a shot. In my game, if it was a special fighting technique you'd worked at and earned, you'd likely end up with some sort of bonus when using it (or at least no penalty).

Sorcerer is also easy enough to tack on. The Wizards memorize, the Sorcerers don't, and you lessen their spells a bit to compensate. You could actually port the class pretty completely from 3.5.

In the end, its possible to break anything. But C&C seems pretty easy to me to tack those things on--even though by and large, I choose not to.

Actually, I've never changed up the saving throws much. It seems like you could do it, but I'd love to hear from someone who has.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Loved the blog. I'd like to comment further when I have time.

Now, we've said all along that C&C works with any edition of D&D. Is that still true with 4th edition?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads