The Castellan Borderlands (Updated 08/27/08)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
EATherrian said:
Awesome work. I use Hex Mapper myself, mostly because it's easy and I do really love those simple hex maps. They remind me of the Expert Set maps which I loved.

Yeah, Hex Mapper is rockin' my desktop right now.

I never really thought to see what kind of editing I could do, but I'll have to look into it.

Definitely do. I like the looks of the two monochrome maps above better than pretty much anything that I ever did with Campaign Cartographer. Those custom Hex Mapper tiles and the Photoshop enhancements make a lot of difference.

Thanks for the info.

No problems! In other news, I plan to link a no-frills version (RTF) of the Borderlands Bestiary either tonight or tomorrow. It draws on Labyrinth Lord, the SRD, and the Northern Crown Gazetteer with some small changes to naming conventions and descriptive text (in keeping with the 'restoring sense of wonder' goal). All OGC, of course.

mwaite

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I'm using two programs to make the maps. The first is Hex Mapper, a freeware application. I, too, am a former CC user but its non-intuitive GUI and lack of a proper instruction manual made learning to use it a nightmare (and I have experience with commercial CAD applications). In actual use, Hex Mapper simply blows it away in terms of user friendliness and prctical functionality.

You can find version Hex Mapper 1.0b for free download here. I used this version of Hex Mapper (plus a custom tile set snagged from hong's old Ultima site) to create the two maps at the top of the thread. After this, I joined the Hex Mapper Haven Yahoo Group in search of more tile sets, which is where I found the monochrome 'old school' tiles that I used to create the last two maps above (as well as several other tile sets).

The one thing to watch out for is that customizing your tile pallette in Hex Mapper requires some simple (though possibly time consuming) text editing. There are some tutorials at the Yahoo Group that help with this, though (I learned the process in a little under five minutes last night and customized my pallete in a little under twenty minutes).

The second application that I'm using is Adobe Photoshop 7.0, which I used to apply the text, textures, and non-tiled rivers in the maps above. That said, the standard output of Hex Mapper is a 24-bit BMP, so you could easily use MS Paint for these features, as well. I chose to use Photoshop simply because I already own it and it lets me do some things that Paint won't (like fade image background behind text).

The four maps above are the first four maps that I have ever created using Hex Mapper and Photoshop, which gives a good idea of the learning curve (it's effectively non-existant). Butch Curry also has a (I'm told) an excellent series of articles on using Photoshop to create maps, which I plan to read in pursuit of my newly discovered mapping skills. His site is here.

Thanks. I will check out Hex Mapper as soon as I get a chance.

Mister Doug

First Post
mwaite said:
Thanks. I will check out Hex Mapper as soon as I get a chance.

Ah, sadly 'tis PC only.

Need to snag a copy of Parallels desktop some day to get some of that sweet freeware PC mapping software.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Well, it's one hot mother here, so I've been up working on the reference sheets (or DM screen inserts, if you prefer). So far:

• I've expanded the To-Hit table for PCs by drawing on the OD&D values and the HBD&D information for characters of levels 1-3. The table is presented using the LL format.

• I've expanded the Cleric vs versus Undead turning table by drawing on the nomenclature of the OD&D table for such things. High level clerics are bad mofos. The table is presented using a totally new format.

• I've added the expanded Thief abilities table, extrapolated from LL, AD&D 1e, and the Holmes rules.

• I've added the expanded Saving Throw progression tables for all classes, as well as level limits based on race.

• I've added the expanded Monster XP Value tables, as well as basic XP progressions for each of the four classes.

Last edited:

Remove ads