The chamberlain, the king, and the dragon (drobe)

Alright. Lets get this started then. We will perform the Action Scene of the chamberlain/king/dragon after we establish and resolve the Transition Scene.

"You are standing on the grand, stone steps to the gargantuan entrance hall of the castle. A servant has answered the door and has rung the bell for the steward to see you in. As the bell rings out, the sound of boulders smashing stonework and cries of pain make for macabre background vocals. Your thoughts drift back to the last few days that have led you to the top of these steps, seeking audience with the oddly absent king, nicknamed “First-in”."

I have all of your characters. Please do the following in a quick post:

1 – Scribe your character (see the below format) replete with your skills, standard weapon attack vs AC (if its relevant), standard implement versus NAD (if its relevant), and the resources you expect to deploy (either in the transition scene or in the action scene proper).

Example:

Player: Lostsoul
Character: Quinn
Level 12 Human Illusionist/Enchanter
Background: Arcane Agent
Theme: Beguiler
Paragon Path: Phantasmagorical Scoundrel <or the other one>

Acrobatics + 9
Arcana + 19
Athletics + 6
Bluff + 13
Diplomacy + 11
Dungeoneering + 14
Endurance + 8
Heal + 9
History + 17
Insight + 16
Intimidate + 7
Nature + 9
Perception + 12
Religion + 12
Stealth + 18
Streetwise + 12
Thievery + 13

Illusionist/Enchanter Attack: + 18 vs NAD

At Will: Ghost Sound > Stealth * 2 (reroll)
At Will: Weasel Familiar > Teleport 10 squares > Telepathy

Encounter:

Beguiling Flash: vs Will. Partial Concealment against enemy in 10.
Cunning Sneak: etc
Suggestion: Sub Arcana for Diplomacy
Heroic Effort: + 4 to attack or ST
Whispering Wind: 25 words within 6 miles.
Vanishing Swirl: Momentary invisibility
Emerald Eye: + 5 Insight and + 2 attack vs Will
Spectral Image - etc

Daily

Disguise Self, Illusory Wall, etc. etc

2 – Include the background information/beliefs that you forwarded me.

3 - Answer the first two questions in your panel below.

4 - Answer one of the third and fourth questions (the ones with the **) with a phrase exposing a scene element (as directly below) to be leveraged in play. We will mechanically resolve the other question (of 3 and 4) that you didn’t answer.

Half ruined city under siege.
Airborne boulders!
Undercity stuffed to the brim with refugees.
Exhausted soldiers manning the ramparts.
Where is the mighty king?
Tavern still open, riding out the apocalypse!

Thurgon (@pemerton):

You are the only man of your four who appears to be grounded in purpose. Given your new mantle as Knight Commander of the Iron Tower, are you recruiting Theren, a fellow acolyte of the Lord of Battle, to serve your order? What of the others?

Refugees poured out from the outlying farmlands as the horde’s approach became imminent. The city’s infrastructure is ruined and cannot support its populace. There will be many more should the day be won. Did you send a pre-emptive courtier (raven or rider) to your mother to arrange for your ancestral estate to take on the burden?

** Are there other members of your order here manning the ramparts at your command? If so, what are your instructions for them?

** How did you and Theren arrange this meeting with the chamberlain? In your efforts did you speak to anyone from the court or the king’s war council?

Theren (@sheadunne) :

You appear to have been a drifter, moving from one dead land to another, leaving further death in your wake. Does Thurgon’s order offer you more than a blood-soaked spear?

Are you are a free agent for the God of Battle Kord?

** Beyond your companions, do you have any allegiances here in this city or is there any you’ve sworn to protect…or perhaps destroy?

** Who have you killed in this siege and did you learn anything about your enemy from it?

Quinn (@LostSoul):

You’ve been a gutter urchin, a gang-member serving under a master illusionist, and now an information broker/spy for anyone and everyone…but mostly yourself? You’re free from your past and your companions provide you safety. Or perhaps not?

You have little in the way of beliefs. Are you seeking to spread that nihilism here in the city or is it another of your secrets?

** You are a consortium of contacts. Are there any within the city’s walls or the enemy’s ranks?

** As a font of knowledge and penetrator of mysteries the world has opened itself to you fully. What mysteries of this city have you sought to unravel?

Lucann (@Campbell):

You are a wood elf embroiled in the conflict of a human city, surrounded by an army of orcs, giants and other monstrosities (commissioned by a dragon apparently). The enemies of your youth gather on all sides. Is there any vengeance to extract here?

You have no home under Sehanine’s shadowy boughs nor in her cloistered abbeys. Has this pilgrimage become a home to you? Does Thurgon’s order, another man driven by divine vow, off you a home?

** You are a man of shadows; both lurking within them and peeling them back through your uncanny insight. What have those shadows told of these peoples’ relationship with their king?

** It is a wild and natural place beyond the walls…where the horde lurks. Have your powerful Rituals given you egress from the city’s walls and infiltration of the enemy ranks during the siege?

LostSoul

Adventurer
I gave Quinn some beliefs, and here they are:

B1: The kingdom will be ravaged by the red dragon. That should be enough to convince the king to pay a king's ransom for its head (or what he thinks is its head).
B2: My study of illusions and enchantment have taught me that there is no truth in the world, no matter what the champions of law say.
B3: Most people are fools and easy prey to my magics. I am not so foolish to believe that I am not also a fool - but I will remain difficult prey as long as I am in the company of my fellows.​

I am not sure who Quinn is or what he believes in; we'll discover that in play.

B1 is about positioning Quinn in relation to the party's main goal - obviously he wants to get rich. At what cost? Is he really willing to face the red dragon? And it's possible that he could be convinced that saving the kingdom from the red dragon is a worthy end in itself.

B2 is about conflict with the other PCs - lawful ones - and frames how he approaches the world.

B3 is about why he stays with the PCs.

As for the questions and answers:

You’ve been a gutter urchin, a gang-member serving under a master illusionist, and now an information broker/spy for anyone and everyone…but mostly yourself? You’re free from your past and your companions provide you safety. Or perhaps not?

Quinn can always be tempted with promises of power (and gold, since gold = power), but I am not sure if he'd actually betray his companions or not. We could introduce some complication here - that Quinn was approached by a party enemy and is still considering what to do about it. (Perhaps this enemy is the red dragon or an ally of it, thus revealing why the PCs know about it?)

The last question - I'll answer that Quinn is not free from his past. He came from this kingdom and the thieves guild still wants his head, since no one leaves the guild alive.

You have little in the way of beliefs. Are you seeking to spread that nihilism here in the city or is it another of your secrets?

He is spreading that nihilism through the city. (I don't think he believes the city can be saved.) All life is an illusion, anyway. Accept it and take comfort.

** You are a consortium of contacts. Are there any within the city’s walls or the enemy’s ranks?

Let's address this one in play.

** As a font of knowledge and penetrator of mysteries the world has opened itself to you fully. What mysteries of this city have you sought to unravel?

Life is a meaningless illusion, and duty and honour are concepts that enslave the weak to the powerful. What tricks and eldritch forces did the king use to fool the guards to fight on in the face of a certain painful death?

Let's address this one in play.

I've never done a PBP but I think the easiest way to organize this would be to have each player's transition scene effort centralized in one post that just gets updated. I will use this post here and edit it with updates. Please do the same with your transition scene response post.

Barracks/ramparts?
Only open tavern?
Undercity?
King's War Council?
King’s Court?

Pick one to attempt to thoroughly infiltrate and please give me your M.O. in the effort.

---------------------------------------

@LostSoul 1st edit: Undercity it is.

A vast labrynth of crawlspaces to access the drain line infrastructure for the city proper. The poor, the decrepit and the insane are relegated to these areas and many of them are full-time occupants.

Standing room is isolated to a singular large chamber that serves as a septic tank/cesspool for aggregate floodwater collected from the storm drains during the wet season. It is not the wet season. Now all manner of riffraff and nobility congregate here, riding out the apocalypse in drunken revelry. Some families fearfully cling to one another in the corner, trying to protect what possessions they could take. Most just sing, dance and drink. it seems that many have accepted your outlook.

Amongst the numbers are some servants of the castle and outbuildings that were redundant, non-essential staff as, rumor has it, high-standing nobles are crammed into the common halls of the palace. Their personal staff apparently is tending to them.

Edit to Edit 1: Haven't heard anything yet so either you're MIA or you're wanting a bit more zoom-in. I'll give you a wee bit of zoom-in and then let me know how you wish to proceed.

During your blending into the mill in the main chamber (perhaps deploying Alter Self or some other means? You tell me), one thing specifically sticks out to you. A middle class family gathers in their makeshift hovel. The son points out a man to his father. The man is swathed in silks and finery but shrouded, face well-hidden. He is flanked on one side by a beady-eyed behemoth. The father either knows this man's anecdote specifically or is merely pointing out an allegorical lesson. He says to his son: "Men of too much wealth can afford to behave recklessly...but eventually the fool is parted from his money and while the wealth runs out, the recklessness remains."

There are all manner of tales and banter about where exactly the king is; from dead, to having secretly fled the city before the siege, to the king actually cutting a deal with the dragon and the war just being an excuse to raise taxes and demand tribute from the nobility! This seems to be just drunken revelry and general cynicism. Its quite clear that many (most) adore the king and more than one fight has broken out over one drunkard or another rebuking his good name.

Let me know how you wish to proceed. You may want to start with a Streetwise check (and give me intent) and we can proceed from there.

EDIT 2 @LostSoul :

Sounds cool. I'll pick the Underbelly.

I'm not sure how much M.O. I can give you yet - give me more first! Frame the scene for me. If I had to pick a goal for this transition scene it would be "I want to find out any and all dirt on the chamberlain."

Edit 1:
(I generally stay away from the internet over the weekend, sorry about that)

Quinn smiles and slinks off into a dark corner. A few words of power are spoken*, and he emerges as a beautiful and exotic young woman. He approaches the silk-swathed man and, prostrating himself, he says in the sweetest and meekest tone he can muster: "Oh great lord, I ask for your kindness. I have become separated from my master and I fear the worst in this strange place. Can you provide me with your protection?"

* - Disguise Self: Bluff + 5 (1d20+18=33)

The figure's protection moves between you and the silk-swaddled man, puts his hand squarely on your chest and gives you a meaty shove away "if you know whats good for you strumpet, you'll peddle yer filthy wares someplace else..." The man he is protecting, however, intervenes (sincerely; * failed Insight on his behalf). Your extremely high Passive Insight reveals much; there are very minor subtleties in his facial expression that seem almost too indicative of "eager"; almost practiced (roll Insight for further info or do something else). "Nonsense, let the girl speak. We're all civilized folk here (with a wave of his hand to encapsulate the room filled with beggars, charlatans, drunkards). Here, take this coin (a gold coin minted from the royal bank) and show it to the town stable-hand. They have a cellar under there, strong as any fortress. Smells of horse manure but it will see you through the worst of things; and all of that horse-flesh might put you in...better spirits. Might be that I see you this evening." As he extends his hand to give you the coin, his robes open up to you revealing a black rod with an intricately carved head, its leather thong hooked to a fine belt. He leans in close and you can smell his breath and see his teeth gleam beneath his cowl; his breath is strangely cold but smells sweet as might an exotic flower...his teeth have a bluish hue to them. He whispers through an ingratiating smile "if I do not see you there tonight, you will need to solicit protection from me..." He kisses your cheek and the exchange of the coin to your hand is lengthy.

He moves swiftly through the crowd with the hired muscle in tow.

Did you do anything? What further are you doing here?

EDIT 3 @LostSoul :

Edit 2: @Manbearcat :

(I also note that I forgot to specify my Intent, which was simply to get him to talk. Oh well!)

Quinn forces himself to suppress an instinctive smile - he chose his target well. What else might he be hiding? Quinn quickly scans his prey - mannerisms, the way he holds himself, facial twitches - anything that might give him an insight into the type of man he's facing.

Quinn reaches at the coin quickly - as quickly as a starving refugee offered a life-line would, of course - hoping to produce a tell: which muscles tense? Does he move in the way a practised warrior would, or does his hand twitch, ready for the gestures that accompany a spell?

[Intent: I want to know what kinds of powers this guy has - martial, arcane, etc. Insight (1d20+17=25)]

Quinn bows and graciously accepts both the coin and his touch. He backs away, still bent over, and disappears into the crowd.

[I'll see what the results of the Insight check is before I plan my next move.]

To expedite matters, I'm going to use the Insight check you provided for both matters:

1- As to the first, your passive Insight overcame the Medium DC already. This current one does not achieve the Hard DC so nothing more is discerned.

2 - With respect to your query on the second; You take note of the deftness of his fingers and the subtleties of his touch. They are long in stature and extremely nimble, graceful...and strong. Very similar to your own. Although he clearly isn't toting any physical weapons (outside of his beefy companion) and his body appears to be lithe, there is a disturbing presence to him...an ominous strength that is at odds with his relatively frail physical disposition. There is a ring on his finger that may be familiar to you (roll History).

The man and his cohort move away, sifting through the crowd. The robed man points out a man laying in filth on the ground. The cohort collects him, hefting him over one beefy shoulder, with little to no protestation from the unconscious man. He moves further along through the crowd, hooded head swivelling this way and that, apparently doesn't see what he wants and, ducking under the tight quarters of the crawlspace, he and the large man begin to make their way down the tunnel and out of sight.

Let me know how you wish to proceed, what your specific intent is with respect to this present situation. Further, if you want to move along, let me know.

If you just want to find out general information on the Chamberlain down here, then please roll Streetwise and stipulate 3 questions (in order of what you wish to know). I'll answer you truly one for each DC (Easy, Medium, Hard) you pass. If you want to drop 50 gold on this effort, you can get a + 2.

If you swant to go that route, I'll reframe for you and you can pick an approach and give me an intent. Successful deployment of a relevant ability (eg your Familiar Weasel - Stealth - or Suggestion/Spectral Image - Arcana - or Emerald Eye - Insight) at the medium DC, will grant you a further +2 bonus here.

EDIT 4 @LostSoul

Edit 3: @Manbearcat

[Creepy - History (1d20+17=18)]

Quinn will skulk along in the shadows that he is so used to with his weasel familiar at his feet. "Not sure I should do this by myself," he thinks, "but at least I have you." His familiar twitches his nose.

[Intent: I want to see what they're up to with the body - some sort of foul ritual, no doubt. Stealth (1d20+18=22)]

Cluster! That is quite the collection of terrible rolls!

1 - Your History check passes the Easy but fails the Medium DC and bears little fruit. You are sure it has to due with station but the specifics of the ring's relevance are unknown to you.

2 - Your Stealth check fails the Perception DC here. While the light is extremely dim here (the robed figure carries a hooded lantern and you are well outside of the 30 ft radius), the crouched quarters and the puddled water make staying quiet difficult. Many paces into your skulking, at a fork, the hooded man pauses and waves for the large man to double back. He drops the weight of the man he picked up and doubles back while the specter-like figure ducks behind one of the forks.

You have multiple ways of getting a recovery Stealth check (see Twilight Adept and Startling Distraction). You also have other means at your disposal to deal with such a scenario. (i) You'll get one crack at this before things get hairy and (ii) no matter the outcome here, you're certain that he is spooked and these two are headed for the surface as the robe-clad figure whispers to him "leave the body...we'll come back for it later...I'll call for you at The Midnight Oil (the lone open tavern) tomorrow...things will be very different then...".

1 - How are you dealing with this present situation <the beefy fellow doubling back, a nasty looking punching dagger appearing in his hand from nowhere>?

2 - After you deal with 1, what then?

EDIT 5 @LostSoul

Edit 4: @Manbearcat

"Maybe this one will have some answers for me," Quinn thinks. He scrambles back, trying to stay in the shadows as the huge bulk of man approaches him.

[I want to lure him away from his master where I can try to melt his brain. To do that I'll use Hypnotism or Illusory Wall, assuming he doesn't just follow. I'm not really sure how this is going to work - if I have to deplete his HP or if a few good rolls will do it.

At any rate, here are the rolls to try to lure him away: Hypnotism & Illusory Wall (1d20+18=22, 1d20+18=21) (Doesn't look like it'll matter much! ;) )]

I thought you might use one of your many means to ext stage left! Mind-melting and interrogation of a legitimate threat is another matter. The stakes are too high here. We need to run this as a an action scene. We'll go with a complexity 2 Skill Challenge (this is where I'd generally like it to be...we have a few days to play with due to pemerton's absence or I may have expedited it to a complexity 1). Complexity 2 is 6 successes before 3 failures with 1 success required at the Hard DC. The medium DC for all of your Attack vs NAD is vs 25 (hard is 27). For any Implement Attack versus NAD where you've matched the fictional positioning well to your leveraged power/ability, you can cash in a Healing Surge for a + 2 (at-will power) or a + 3 on a limited use item/encounter power (consider it cashing in a plot point for a step up of the dice or adding a dice to your pool). Medium for skill is 20 (hard is 28). Illusory Wall as a Daily will be an auto success, 1 HS spent, + 2 forward. I'll frame the scene and move us forward.

As the burly human (like you but clearly needs that hooded lantern more than you do as you have low light vision) wades through the murky darkness, he carefully taps the wall every few seconds with his punching dagger to get his bearings. The rhythmic sound emanating from his probing is eerie. He is all of 6'5 and the low ceiling forces him to stoop. You lure him back through a switchback and, from a distance (you can see him but it is very unlikely he sees you), whisper a hypnotic call to rend his mind from him (you fail and lose a healing surge! Is it moral? Exertion? Do you curse the fates?). He recoils, shakes the cobwebs and charges forward, punching dagger leading (insofar as a large man can charge in a murk-filled crawlspace.

0:1 You defly step into an adjacent tunnel that leads into a perpendicular route off the tunnel you're in. Quickly enacting one of your more powerful spells, you call forth a an illusory wall of the same like, kind and quality of the hewn stone of the crawlspace walls. The burly man is easily fooled and he, his hooded lantern and his punching dagger continue their charge, illiciting a low growl from him in frustration. You have an auto-success here and a + 2 forward and mark a lost Healing Surge (feel free to describe the lost surge). I need you to tell me how/where it will apply in the future? Immediately on this next effort or something else.

1:1 Give me your next action and intent here. See the DCs above. On a success, I'm giving you authority to render the immediate fiction and I'll pick u from there.

EDIT 6 @LostSoul
Panic, pure and simple. I never should have tried this without my companions.

I like to stay in the immediate situation, so let's try that: casting the Illusory Wall, and seeing him fall prey for it, allows me to control my fear and use it to my own ends.

Quinn reaches into the Shadowfell and tears a piece of it loose. Grim shadows of fear and terror assault the man's mind, forcing him into a panic. "You should have known to fear the shadows," Quinn says.

[Intent: I want him to be terrified, fighting here in the dark. Roll upcoming.]

[Grim Shadow & damage (1d20+17=31, 2d8+9=25) Looks like that worked.]

Terrified, his mind reeling under assault from powers not of this world, the hulking brute drops his lantern in a panic. Its flame flickers, casting eerie shadows across the walls. He sees a figure move in the shadows and he clutches the steel in his hand in a tight fist.

[I'm probably going to use Murderous Twin, but maybe after I use Ghost Sound to cause a distraction to hide. At any rate, if he approaches me, I'll use Vanishing Swirl to go invisible and slip out of his reach.]

2:1 The large man's once grim countenance is severely diminished. He backs roughly against the wall, almost as if he is tryinng to back his way through the hewn stone, or become one with it. The lantern, dropped from his hand and shimmering wildly in the puddle, is creating an even deeper, more eerie effect as it plays on the walls and ceiling of the claustrophobic tunnel. You can see a grotesquely visible shake to his hand as he raises the punching knife. With a growl (half terror-stricken, half caged animal), he launches himself at you...though very unsteadily. You get the sense that if his will doesn't steady soon, he will take flight.

You're a few paces away, you have half concealment due to the wonky lantern. The quarters are tight and your illusory wall is at your back, cutting off the perpendicular tunnel. As above, you're using Vanishing Swirl if he approaches you. Give me an Arcana check against Medium DC. Assuming that is successful, you'll be at 3:1 and he will be swinging wildly at every shadow that his movement makes in the gloomy phantoms caused by the odd lightning. Assuming that is successful and you deploy Murderous Twin, roll Attack versus NAD, this will be your Hard DC for the Skill Challenge. You can cash in a Surge for + 3 on that one if you wish.

If that is successful, you will be at 4:1 and I will reframe the evolved fiction. If you have a failure or you want to do something differently, let me know.

EDIT 7 @LostSoul

Arcana (1d20+19=33)
Murderous Twin (1d20+20=30) (cashing in a Healing Surge - strain and focus on the spell, calling up my own fear and pouring it into the shadow-creature)

3:1 With murderous intentions bulwarked by burgeoning terror, the man's thick arm snaps like a viper, razor sharp punching dagger leading. Gathering gloom envelops Quinn's visage, taking him...someplace else. As the man's dagger viciously pounds the stone behind where Quinn once was, sparks fly, briefly lighting the shrouded crawlspace. The man is tired, his back hurts from stooping so awkwardly, and his wild-eyes betray the deep-seated fear of the dark that lies in the heart of every child. A whisper behind him promises a new terror.

4:1 Cold arcane words in a language lost to the ages whisper from nowhere and where there was one terror-filled thug, now there are two. A shadowy double pulls itself from the inky blackness of the ground to stand before the man. Its too much. A shriek echoes off the stonework, running off into the dark distance. With no regard for dignity, machismo or reputation, the man simply turns to (awkwardly given the tight quarters) run. It doesn't occur to him that he's leaving his only light source behind. He just wants out of there. In a cold flash, the shadow dissipates into a thousand flitting tendrils and instantly reappears in his path. The man cowers, overing his face and head, begging for mercy. Quinn hears a strange sound...but its not outward, its inward. A familiar (literally) squeeking and squawking emanates through the corridors of his mind. Something is coming...his senses stretch outward now and the sound of...thousands of tiny feet and chirping rush forward like a tsunami of fur, whiskers and pestilence. Giant Rat Swarm!

You're at 4:1. 2 more success or 2 more failures (6 successes or 3 failures) will tell the outcome. At this point, if you succeed, you may ask the man two questions and, if the answers are within his means, you are sure he will tell you true. If you accrue another failure along the way, you may ask 1. If you fail. Well, you can figure that out. So what are you doing about this Giant Rat Swarm thats rushing you (and your beaten prey) as a furry torrent!

Edit 6: @Manbearcat

[My rolls: Beguiling Flash, Suggestion, and Illusory Obstacles (1d20+18=26, 1d20+19=25, 1d20+18=34)]

A Beguiling Flash illuminates the swarm of giant rats and sends them skittering away for a moment. Quinn steps out of the shadows - still in his feminine guise - and extends a hand. "Your life is in my hands now," he says, weaving subtle magic into his words, "Give yourself to me." The mind of the brute burns.

The rats turn back towards their prey. Quinn speaks a word of power and waves his hand, and the rats begin climbing over each other in a confused mess. The brute reaches up, Quinn lifts him to his feet, and the pair flee the scene.

[I think those were successes. The intents were: 1. to force the rats back away from the brute and save him from immediate attack; 2. to hammer it home that the brute is mine now - I wasn't sure if this was a valid intent, so I also threw in 3. to make sure the rats would not be able to catch us. Hope that works.]

Assuming two successes...

1. "Your old master said that everything was going to change - what did he mean?"
2. "Does your old master have any ties to the king or his courtiers, including the chamberlain?"

EDIT 8 [MENTION=386]LostSoul[/MENTION]

All 3 are successes (Medium DC for skill is 20 and Medium NAD is 25) so the first two (Beguiling Flash attack vs 25 and Suggestion - Arcana vs 20) are sufficient to close the scene with the success condition. Illusory Obstacles functions to deal with the the rats. The scene resolves itself precisely as you put above.

As to your questions.

- "Your old master said that everything was going to change - what did he mean?"

"I guess the Kingdom's gonna surrender tomorrow. I was hopin' to get out of here before then. It aint gonna be pretty. We should get out, you and me."

- "Does your old master have any ties to the king or his courtiers, including the chamberlain?"

"Well of course he does. He's the Court Mage! He's got ties to all of 'em. He acts like he runs the Castle and everyone in it. I guess that would mean the chamberlain, the king, hell the lot of 'em by the way he talks. I believe him too. He's got dark and powerful friends. I've seen some wierd stuff. Scary as the stuff you showed me."

1) You or your allies can invoke the answer to question 2 and gain a + 2 bonus for a singular check in the coming Action Scene.

2) If we were playing a full-on game, I'd offer you an Alternate Advancement reward for your new henchman. I'm at work so I can't devise it properly but it would be similar to @pemerton 's herald.

3) If you have nothing further, I'm going to close this transition scene and send you to the base of the Kingsmount to meet your companions with your newly won information. @sheadunne and @Campbell (Theren and Lucann) were discussing a strange marking on the back of some sellswords' necks and pemerton (Thurgon) was inquiring about you as well.

Last edited:

LostSoul

Adventurer
Pick one to attempt to thoroughly infiltrate and please give me your M.O. in the effort.

Sounds cool. I'll pick the Underbelly.

I'm not sure how much M.O. I can give you yet - give me more first! Frame the scene for me. If I had to pick a goal for this transition scene it would be "I want to find out any and all dirt on the chamberlain."

Edit 1:
(I generally stay away from the internet over the weekend, sorry about that)

Quinn smiles and slinks off into a dark corner. A few words of power are spoken*, and he emerges as a beautiful and exotic young woman. He approaches the silk-swathed man and, prostrating himself, he says in the sweetest and meekest tone he can muster: "Oh great lord, I ask for your kindness. I have become separated from my master and I fear the worst in this strange place. Can you provide me with your protection?"

* - Disguise Self: Bluff + 5 (1d20+18=33)

Edit 2: [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] :

(I also note that I forgot to specify my Intent, which was simply to get him to talk. Oh well!)

Your extremely high Passive Insight reveals much; there are very minor subtleties in his facial expression that seem almost too indicative of "eager"; almost practiced (roll Insight for further info or do something else).

Quinn forces himself to suppress an instinctive smile - he chose his target well. What else might he be hiding? Quinn quickly scans his prey - mannerisms, the way he holds himself, facial twitches - anything that might give him an insight into the type of man he's facing.

"Nonsense, let the girl speak. We're all civilized folk here (with a wave of his hand to encapsulate the room filled with beggars, charlatans, drunkards). Here, take this coin (a gold coin minted from the royal bank) and show it to the town stable-hand. They have a cellar under there, strong as any fortress. Smells of horse manure but it will see you through the worst of things; and all of that horse-flesh might put you in...better spirits. Might be that I see you this evening."

Quinn reaches at the coin quickly - as quickly as a starving refugee offered a life-line would, of course - hoping to produce a tell: which muscles tense? Does he move in the way a practised warrior would, or does his hand twitch, ready for the gestures that accompany a spell?

[Intent: I want to know what kinds of powers this guy has - martial, arcane, etc. Insight (1d20+17=25)]

As he extends his hand to give you the coin, his robes open up to you revealing a black rod with an intricately carved head, its leather thong hooked to a fine belt. He leans in close and you can smell his breath and see his teeth gleam beneath his cowl; his breath is strangely cold but smells sweet as might an exotic flower...his teeth have a bluish hue to them. He whispers through an ingratiating smile "if I do not see you there tonight, you will need to solicit protection from me..." He kisses your cheek and the exchange of the coin to your hand is lengthy.

He moves swiftly through the crowd with the hired muscle in tow.

Quinn bows and graciously accepts both the coin and his touch. He backs away, still bent over, and disappears into the crowd.

[I'll see what the results of the Insight check is before I plan my next move.]

Edit 3: [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION]

There is a ring on his finger that may be familiar to you (roll History).

[Creepy - History (1d20+17=18)]

The man and his cohort move away, sifting through the crowd. The robed man points out a man laying in filth on the ground. The cohort collects him, hefting him over one beefy shoulder, with little to no protestation from the unconscious man. He moves further along through the crowd, hooded head swivelling this way and that, apparently doesn't see what he wants and, ducking under the tight quarters of the crawlspace, he and the large man begin to make their way down the tunnel and out of sight.

Quinn will skulk along in the shadows that he is so used to with his weasel familiar at his feet. "Not sure I should do this by myself," he thinks, "but at least I have you." His familiar twitches his nose.

[Intent: I want to see what they're up to with the body - some sort of foul ritual, no doubt. Stealth (1d20+18=22)]

Edit 4: [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION]

Many paces into your skulking, at a fork, the hooded man pauses and waves for the large man to double back. He drops the weight of the man he picked up and doubles back while the specter-like figure ducks behind one of the forks.

...the robe-clad figure whispers to him "leave the body...we'll come back for it later...I'll call for you at The Midnight Oil (the lone open tavern) tomorrow...things will be very different then...".

"Maybe this one will have some answers for me," Quinn thinks. He scrambles back, trying to stay in the shadows as the huge bulk of man approaches him.

[I want to lure him away from his master where I can try to melt his brain. To do that I'll use Hypnotism or Illusory Wall, assuming he doesn't just follow. I'm not really sure how this is going to work - if I have to deplete his HP or if a few good rolls will do it.

At any rate, here are the rolls to try to lure him away: Hypnotism & Illusory Wall (1d20+18=22, 1d20+18=21) (Doesn't look like it'll matter much! ;) )]

Edit 5: [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION]

you fail and lose a healing surge! Is it moral? Exertion? Do you curse the fates?

Panic, pure and simple. I never should have tried this without my companions.

You have an auto-success here and a + 2 forward and mark a lost Healing Surge (feel free to describe the lost surge). I need you to tell me how/where it will apply in the future? Immediately on this next effort or something else.

I like to stay in the immediate situation, so let's try that: casting the Illusory Wall, and seeing him fall prey for it, allows me to control my fear and use it to my own ends.

Quinn reaches into the Shadowfell and tears a piece of it loose. Grim shadows of fear and terror assault the man's mind, forcing him into a panic. "You should have known to fear the shadows," Quinn says.

[Intent: I want him to be terrified, fighting here in the dark. Roll upcoming.]

[Grim Shadow & damage (1d20+17=31, 2d8+9=25) Looks like that worked.]

Terrified, his mind reeling under assault from powers not of this world, the hulking brute drops his lantern in a panic. Its flame flickers, casting eerie shadows across the walls. He sees a figure move in the shadows and he clutches the steel in his hand in a tight fist.

[I'm probably going to use Murderous Twin, but maybe after I use Ghost Sound to cause a distraction to hide. At any rate, if he approaches me, I'll use Vanishing Swirl to go invisible and slip out of his reach.]
[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION]

Arcana (1d20+19=33)
Murderous Twin (1d20+20=30) (cashing in a Healing Surge - strain and focus on the spell, calling up my own fear and pouring it into the shadow-creature)

Edit 6: [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION]

Quinn hears a strange sound...but its not outward, its inward. A familiar (literally) squeeking and squawking emanates through the corridors of his mind. Something is coming...his senses stretch outward now and the sound of...thousands of tiny feet and chirping rush forward like a tsunami of fur, whiskers and pestilence. Giant Rat Swarm!

[My rolls: Beguiling Flash, Suggestion, and Illusory Obstacles (1d20+18=26, 1d20+19=25, 1d20+18=34)]

A Beguiling Flash illuminates the swarm of giant rats and sends them skittering away for a moment. Quinn steps out of the shadows - still in his feminine guise - and extends a hand. "Your life is in my hands now," he says, weaving subtle magic into his words, "Give yourself to me." The mind of the brute burns.

The rats turn back towards their prey. Quinn speaks a word of power and waves his hand, and the rats begin climbing over each other in a confused mess. The brute reaches up, Quinn lifts him to his feet, and the pair flee the scene.

[I think those were successes. The intents were: 1. to force the rats back away from the brute and save him from immediate attack; 2. to hammer it home that the brute is mine now - I wasn't sure if this was a valid intent, so I also threw in 3. to make sure the rats would not be able to catch us. Hope that works.]

You're at 4:1. 2 more success or 2 more failures (6 successes or 3 failures) will tell the outcome. At this point, if you succeed, you may ask the man two questions and, if the answers are within his means, you are sure he will tell you true.

Assuming two successes...

1. "Your old master said that everything was going to change - what did he mean?"
2. "Does your old master have any ties to the king or his courtiers, including the chamberlain?"

Edit the last: [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION]

Quinn sends the brute back to his old master. "Keep your new allegiance a secret, and do not betray me - for I am now and forever in your mind: you will know I am there when you feel the prickling of the hairs on your neck, when you feel that you are being watched when no one is around, when the shadows creep too close."

And I'll head back to my companions after dispelling the Disguise Self illusion.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
1. Here is a PC summary - I've also attached my PDF (View attachment Thurgon 12.pdf). (I fixed up a few errors in the earlier posting.)

Player: pemerton
Character: Thurgon
Level 12 Paladin/Knight Commander of Kord
Background: Family tradition (from Divine Power)
Theme: Exiled noble (variant of Neverwinter Noble)
Paragon Path: Knight Commander (multi-class Warlord)

Acrobatics +3
Arcana +6
Athletics +16
Bluff +8
Diplomacy +15 (19 vs those who recognise my authority)
Dungeoneering +8
Endurance +10
Heal +8
History +13
Insight +8
Intimidate +17 (21 vs those who dispute my authority)
Nature +8
Perception +8
Religion +11
Stealth +3
Streetwise +8
Thievery +1

Melee attack with heavy mace (= craghammer): +18 vs AC

At Will: charging enemies then pounding them with radiant or thunder, plus

Honour and Glory (adj allies get +2 power to hit)
Draw the Eye of Friend and Foe (allies get +1 power to attack enemies I flank)​

Encounter: more pounding, plus

Mighty Sprint (+4 speed, +5 Athletics, ignore DT)

Take Heart, Friend! (ally gainst 10 temp hp and +2 power to defences)
Benediction (buff or heal an ally who hits with a melee attack)

Call of Challenge (get nearby enemies' attention and mark them)
Break Their Nerve (mark adjacent enemy)​

Daily: more pounding, plus

Knightly Intercession (interrupt attack vs ally and pull the attacker adjacent to me, then pound attacker)

Stirring Speech (inspire my allies after a short rest, until the end of the next encounter)

Various forms of healing (Belt of Sacrifice, Lay on Hands, Inspiring Word)​

2. Background:

Thurgon is the descendant of earls (his family's symbol is a bear rampant above a sword dividing a shield), but Auxol, his ancestral estate (1½ days on foot, or about 25 miles, South-east of Adir the nearest large town), fell to the darkness 66 years ago. He has not set foot there now for many years.

Although Auxol is now owned by servants of evil, Thurgon's family continues to manage it. His father is deceased; his mother Xanthippe (now 57 years old) still lives on the estate. So does his older brother Rufus (36 years old). He is the 9th Count of Adir (although for the past 66 years that title has counted for little, having been usurped by others). His 23 year old younger brother, Vuryang, also lives on the estate, with his 18 year old bride Eisette. Thurgon has never met her, but heard news of the wedding some months ago. Xanthippe ensures that the estate serves as a bolthole for refugees. Rufus is sympathetic to their plight, but sees them ultimately as someone else’s problem. His interests are more mundane (it is fairly common knowledge that he has a 3 year old illegitimate son with a middle class townswoman).

Thurgon trained in the Iron Tower, a stronghold of those who serve the Lord of Battle. The symbol of the Tower is crossed battle axes in front of a shield with the sun rising above it. He left the Iron Tower, several years ago now, when the Knight Commander of the order sent him forth into the wilderness. At the time Thrugon did not know why, but more recently he learned that the Iron Tower had fallen to the forces of darkness. In a recent dream sent by the heavens he saw that the former lord of the order is dead, and that he, Thurgon, must now serve as Knight Commander of the Iron Tower. He hopes to recruit new members to the order, and to rally any others that have survived.​

And some beliefs:

*When the usurpers are overthrown, and the proper succession reestablished, then peace will come to the land.

*When the world is in chaos it is no wonder so many are easily misled - but I can lead them back to righteousness.

*Like all cowards, the dragon feeds on weakness. I will oppose it with strength.​

Mabearcat said:
You are the only man of your four who appears to be grounded in purpose. Given your new mantle as Knight Commander of the Iron Tower, are you recruiting Theren, a fellow acolyte of the Lord of Battle, to serve your order? What of the others?

Refugees poured out from the outlying farmlands as the horde’s approach became imminent. The city’s infrastructure is ruined and cannot support its populace. There will be many more should the day be won.

I will be recruting Theren, yes. We need more brethern!

Quinn reminds me of another mage I once knew, Aramina. She had also been embittered and misled by a life of both literal and moral squallor. In her case the result was careless rage (she was an invoker). In Quinn's case, the result seems to have been irresolute cycnicsm. He could be a useful ally - mages have great power, after all - as long as he does not mislead the king as to what is really at stake, and what is possible.

I've had little to do with the Wood Elves, and Lucann does not seem to be an archer. I wonder what he wants from the king?

Mabearcat said:
How did you and Theren arrange this meeting with the chamberlain? In your efforts did you speak to anyone from the court or the king’s war council?
Riding towards the city to seek news of Adir, I encountered the refugees first. Then Theren. The two of us fought with the rearguard as the last of the refugees entered the city, swelling the numbers hiding in the undercity. Then we entered the walls and the gates were closed. (@sheadunne - happy for correction on our shared backstory.)

As the days have passed, it has become clear that the defending forces have little leadership. The exhausted soldiers who man the ramparts are valiant, but need a commander who will inspire them. I have done my best, but they know that I am not the true authority here. Where is their king!

So I have brought Theren with me to meet the chamberlain. He may not be expecting us, but he will see us nevertheless! Who else does he think will save his city? Quinn (@LostSoul - very happy for correction here) says he knows the chamberlain, by reputation at least, and so can ensure us an audience. I've been around long enough to know that this can help, because not everyone accords me the respect due to the son of a count of the realm.

Mabearcat said:
Are there other members of your order here manning the ramparts at your command? If so, what are your instructions for them?]
In a half-ruined city under siege, it's impossible to meet every pocket of resilient defenders. Maybe in play we'll discover that there's hope yet!

EDIT:

As you and Theren look up at the grand, spiraling ascent up the Kingsmount, pondering your meeting with the chamberlain, a call is heard from the nearest barracks. A gravely wounded soldier emerges, one of the many unrecognizable war-torn faces. Ignoring his own his pain, he beseeches you to sanctify the men in the triage center who are inevitably on their way to the afterlife and to bless the men gathering for a push for the now enemy-occupied granaries. Curiously, he calls you by name.
My INT check to remember the man is 15 on the d20 +6 = 21 (or +13 = 28 if I'm allowed to use History).

Assuming I don't remember him, or that remembering him doesn't radically change the situation, I'll enter the triage centre.

My Heal check (untrained) is 2 on the d20 + 8 = 10. Assuming that, with such a check, I can identify anyone who might survive, I will Lay on Hands up to twice (costs me 2 surges and both uses). My Religion check to sanctify the dying is 6 on the d20+11 = 17.

I don't think I am going to deliver a Stirring Speech, as I think I may need that to persuade the chamberlain or rouse the king. (Sorry, grunts.) I will speak a blessing over those who are going to make the push, though - if feasible I want to use Diplomacy, as I think morale may be more important here than divine forces: 19 on the d20 + 19 (I assume they recognise my authority) = 38; or if Religion is required that's 19 + 11 = 30.

If it's permitted I'll also speak a Benediction in advance of them attacking, to buff their hp and/or damage - Religion check for this is 1 on the d20 +11 = 12. (I hope they're inspired, because the blessing may not help them much!)

If the man who recognised me wants to talk I'm happy to - otherwise, if there's no further action here I'll rejoin Theron on the grand spiralling ascent.

EDIT 2:
If you will take him, he pledges his allegiance to you as the Knight Commander in absentia. He is not terribly good with a sword, but he can write proficiently in multiple languages, he knows all of the customs/history of the Order, and he has steel-trap of a memory <this would be a level 9 item @4200 GP. Property: + 2 item bonus to knowledge checks. Daily: Immediate Reaction: You or an ally can reroll a History or Religion check.>
I will certainly accept his offer of service. He can precede me and Theren as our herald!

Before the prior Knight Commander's death, the boy (sheepishly in the telling) took his dictations and placed them in a lockbox. The box was buried at the base of the hangman's tree on the great bluff overlooking the tower. If you return to the tower, you will want those writings. They will help you face the evil inside.
Noted.

These men are far too near death for unguents and salves but the comfort of your Divine and mundane blessings ease their suffering and in a short time their passing is complete and without fear or pain.
Just checking that I'm right in understanding I've used my LoH to ease their passing. That's fine.

If you wish, you can spend 200 GP item budget for a consumable use of Echoes of Bravery as a scene element in the Action Scene to come. If "shame and/or honor" can be leveraged, you gain a + 2 (untyped) bonus to your check.
I am not that well cashed-up: I've got 160 gp unallocated.

Looking at my charts, I see that 200 gp is for a 10th level consumable. Would you accept 50 gp for a 5th level consumbale giving a +1 untyped bonus instead?

EDIT 3:
When Lucann arrives back in the city he will intercept Thurgon
Who is this strange elf, Lucann. He seems to come and go at will while the rest of us are trapped in the city by the besiegers? Does he know of a secret postern gate?

It seems that he is no friend to the besiegers, at least. Can he bring us allies - or even food - through his fey paths? Is that the news that he brings for the king?

"Lucann - well met! Are you here to see His Majesty also? What news do you bring? - it seems that while the rest of us are trapped here you come and go like a wisp!"

Last edited:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Manbearcat
Are there other members of your order here manning the ramparts at your command? If so, what are your instructions for them?

In a half-ruined city under siege, it's impossible to meet every pocket of resilient defenders. Maybe in play we'll discover that there's hope yet!

As you and Theren look up at the grand, spiraling ascent up the Kingsmount, pondering your meeting with the chamberlain, a call is heard from the nearest barracks. A gravely wounded soldier emerges, one of the many unrecognizable war-torn faces. Ignoring his own his pain, he beseeches you to sanctify the men in the triage center who are inevitably on their way to the afterlife and to bless the men gathering for a push for the now enemy-occupied granaries. Curiously, he calls you by name.

EDIT 1:

My INT check to remember the man is 15 on the d20 +6 = 21 (or +13 = 28 if I'm allowed to use History).

Applicable and passes the Hard DC.

Though his face has changed and hardened from war, this is the young scribe from your days at the Iron Tower. He never thought he would see you again but when he heard that you were in the city, he knew he must find you. If you will take him, he pledges his allegiance to you as the Knight Commander in absentia. He is not terribly good with a sword, but he can write proficiently in multiple languages, he knows all of the customs/history of the Order, and he has steel-trap of a memory <this would be a level 9 item @4200 GP. Property: + 2 item bonus to knowledge checks. Daily: Immediate Reaction: You or an ally can reroll a History or Religion check.>

Before the prior Knight Commander's death, the boy (sheepishly in the telling) took his dictations and placed them in a lockbox. The box was buried at the base of the hangman's tree on the great bluff overlooking the tower. If you return to the tower, you will want those writings. They will help you face the evil inside.

I'll enter the triage centre.

My Heal check (untrained) is 2 on the d20 + 8 = 10. Assuming that, with such a check, I can identify anyone who might survive, I will Lay on Hands up to twice (costs me 2 surges and both uses). My Religion check to sanctify the dying is 6 on the d20+11 = 17.

These men are far too near death for unguents and salves but the comfort of your Divine and mundane blessings ease their suffering and in a short time their passing is complete and without fear or pain. The head nurse thanks you with choked back tears (for viewers, her testimony may have aided later in the Action Scene, but failure at the Medium DC does not warrant it).

I don't think I am going to deliver a Stirring Speech, as I think I may need that to persuade the chamberlain or rouse the king. (Sorry, grunts.) I will speak a blessing over those who are going to make the push, though - if feasible I want to use Diplomacy, as I think morale may be more important here than divine forces: 19 on the d20 + 19 (I assume they recognise my authority) = 38; or if Religion is required that's 19 + 11 = 30.

If it's permitted I'll also speak a Benediction in advance of them attacking, to buff their hp and/or damage - Religion check for this is 1 on the d20 +11 = 12. (I hope they're inspired, because the blessing may not help them much!)

Diplomacy is good here. You and Theron's efforts in the Rearguard are well known. Instilled confidence from a warrior who visibly slew dozens of orcs and a giant is more potent to these hardened men than the words of scripture. The roars post-speech (supplemented by the placebo of the Benediction's effects) can be heard well outside the walls, deep into the enemy ranks.

You're inspired by them as much as they are moved by your words. If you wish, you can spend 200 GP item budget for a consumable use of Echoes of Bravery as a scene element in the Action Scene to come. If "shame and/or honor" can be leveraged, you gain a + 2 (untyped) bonus to your check.

If the man who recognised me wants to talk I'm happy to - otherwise, if there's no further action here I'll rejoin Theron on the grand spiralling ascent.

At your leisure.

EDIT 2:

EDIT 2:
I will certainly accept his offer of service. He can precede me and Theren as our herald!

Very well! He says the words and pledges himself to your service.

Just checking that I'm right in understanding I've used my LoH to ease their passing. That's fine.

Negative. Sorry, my above response was sufficiently vague so as to be confusing. Heal check application and failure generates the fiction as no men being identifiable as having non-mortal wounds (Schrodinger's mortality!). Even the miracle of a LoH wouldn't restore their health so no LoH deployment. I assumed with that particular use of the heal skill you would be aiding the overburdened nurses in identifying the men beyond saving, thus allowing for the administration of mundane means to ease their passing <eg nerve-dulling teas or topicals> while you say final rites (success at the easy DC is enough for that) to send them to Kord or whomever (if they are conscious and able to make a formal request).

I am not that well cashed-up: I've got 160 gp unallocated.

Looking at my charts, I see that 200 gp is for a 10th level consumable. Would you accept 50 gp for a 5th level consumbale giving a +1 untyped bonus instead?

Certainly.

Last edited:

As a general update, Campbell PMed that he has been quite busy as of late but will be inputting his Transition Scene info in a post soon. Sheadunne is still pending as well but I'm not sure of his situation. Waiting on LostSoul's response or request for higher resolution zoom-in.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Player: Campbell
Character: Lucann
Level 12 Elf Avenger (Pursuit), Serene Acolyte of Sehanine
Background: Blessed
Theme: Ordained Priest
Paragon Path: Serene Initiate

Acrobatics + 15
Arcana + 8
Athletics + 6
Bluff + 8
Diplomacy + 8
Dungeoneering + 11
Endurance + 7
Heal + 11
History + 8
Insight + 21
Intimidate + 8
Nature + 18
Perception + 16
Religion + 15
Stealth + 17
Streetwise + 8
Thievery + 10

Melee Attack (Longspear of Oaths Fulfilled): + 17 vs AC
Implement Attack (Longspear of Oaths Fulfilled): +15 vs NAD

At Will
Radiant Vengeance (Implement Attack): You will know my pain. Implement Attack vs. Reflex. Emboldened by the strike Lucann gains 5 temporary hit points.
Bond of Pursuit: There is no getting away from the reach of my spear. If you run away I will follow you. Shift 5 if melee target does not end their turn adjacent.

Encounter
Elven Accuracy: Lucann does not miss. If he fails an attack roll he gets to roll again. If the target is his oath of enmity target his renewed focus results in a truer hit (more damage from Fey Fate feat).
Oath of Enmity: Swear to end another's existence. Make 2 attack rolls against the target while no other enemy is adjacent. Lucann's ire his enemies find themselves unable to concentrate on other combatants.
Divine Guidance: Inspire ally to strike true against avowed enemy. Grant reroll of attack against oath of enmity target at +3 bonus.
Loyal Sanction : Lucann urges an ally to attack the object of his enmity. His hatred is contagious and his ally does more damage to the target.
Defining Cut: Make a decisive strike against one or two enemies. Second enemy gains Lucann's ire as if he were the object of his scorn (treat both as oath targets). If successful Lucann's enemies find exerting more than usual effort causes great strain (damage for any attack that is not at will.)
Angelic Alacrity: There is no distance Lucann is unwilling to cover to face his enemies. Shift 5 before the attack.
Bound By Fate: Lucann binds the fate of his oath target to his own. If he is attacked by anyone but his oath target for the next turn the damage is shared between them. They are also unable to move away from him for the next turn.
Chains of Censure: Lucann's judgement cannot be escaped and the object of his scorn will face him alone. Either the target of his attack or another enemy close by cannot move for the next turn. If the target and him are engaged in personal conflict (no one else adjacent) the attack does extra damage.
Insightful Comment: Lucann points his allies in the right direction in a social situation. For the next turn they gain +5 to bluff, diplomacy and intimidate.
Empathic Read: Lucann notices a misstep of words at the beginning. His gentle nudging lets them reroll a failed diplomacy, bluff, or intimidate check.

Daily
Renewing Strike (Implement Attack): Lucann delivers a surging strike of lightning which assures him of his own purpose. Sehanine provides him with strength to carry out her will. He gets to use a healing surge.
Glaring Admonition (Implement vs. Will): Lucann brings his scorn to life. With an intense stare and harsh words inspired by Sehanine his oath target becomes more susceptible to those who work the will of the gods (-2 all defenses vs. divine attacks). Effect: His implement attacks can utilize oath of enmity.
Blade of Guilt: With a strike Lucann reminds his oath target of the sins they have commited. Escaping his divine judgement imparts so much mental anguish that it tears at their very spirit. Psychic damage for each square they move.
Deadly Calm: Lucann assumes a serene demeanor, assured of his cause. While the stance is in effect any time both of his attack rolls against his oath target would have been successful he deals extra damage.

Rituals
Hand of Fate, Fey Passage, Hunter's Blessing, Travelers' Feast, Find the Path, Speak with Nature, Hallowed Temple, Tree Stride, Raise Dead, Commune With Nature

Notes
All allies gain +2 to Perception and + to Insight while within 50 feet of Lucann.

Background
Lucann is a contemplative in the midst of world at conflict. His childhood was spent in a forest commune. Even from a tender young age he could tell he was not like the other children. He took no joy in the hunt. He saw no need for revelry, sparring, or dance. He preferred the serenity of the forest and the solitary music of his flute. Perhaps that is why the dryads who made their home in the woods took to young Lucann and began to teach him what they knew of the forest and how it reflected Sehanine's own beauty.

Like most good time it would not last very long. When the dryads began to disappear from the forest Lucann took note and went off in search of them. He did not find them, but he did find groups of humans, orcs, and others clear cutting the forests he called home. Wherever possible he tried to reason with those who would destroy his home, but it was often to no avail. For several years he engaged in a personal guerilla war against the loggers, until he found a delegation of Sehanine's clergy willing to resist the tide. He led them back to his village and helped to push the loggers out.

However, he no longer felt at home in his woods so he went with the priests and answered the call of Sehanine. After living the cloistered life for nearly decade, he began to wonder if he had done the right thing sanctioning himself off from the wider world so he requested leave to undertake a pilgrimage...

Beliefs
  • The world is vibrant and bueatiful. Seek out a place in it. Do not attempt to impose your will on it.
  • Seek understanding before taking action.
  • Once you have gained my ire there is no escape. I will hunt you to the ends of the earth.

manbearcat said:
You are a wood elf embroiled in the conflict of a human city, surrounded by an army of orcs, giants and other monstrosities (commissioned by a dragon apparently). The enemies of your youth gather on all sides. Is there any vengeance to extract here?

While vengeance might come Lucann will not strike the first blow. He has come to the city seeking answers. He wants to find out why the humans of the city were expanding upon the boundaries of age old holdings into the forests of his kin. Were they facing some greater threat or have they forgotten old accords? If they have forgotten the accords he will seek to reestablish them.

manbearcat said:
You have no home under Sehanine’s shadowy boughs nor in her cloistered abbeys. Has this pilgrimage become a home to you? Does Thurgon’s order, another man driven by divine vow, off you a home?

Lucann still seeks a new home. So far his pilgrimage has offered little in the way of answers. Humans' tendency to reshape the world around them rather than to let themselves be shaped by the world both intrigues and troubles him.

Lucann is not certain if Thurgon is a kindred spirit or not. His belief in the righteousness of his own cause sparks uncomfortable feelings in Lucann as the elf is reminded of his own dormant rage. Is Thurgon a man of peace or would he rather see the world burn then be denied success in his divine mission? Is he willing to fight for the needs of the creatures of the forest?

manbearcat said:
You are a man of shadows; both lurking within them and peeling them back through your uncanny insight. What have those shadows told of these peoples’ relationship with their king?

Since his arrival to the city what Lucann has found most surprising is how little contact the king seems to have with the outside world. He has seen many people enter the castle, but few leave. It seems almost like the king has given up. Lucann sees soldiers manning the same post for hours without relief and wonders if humans have any regard for their charges. He also sees peasants and refuges without food or shelter and wonders where is the king? He thought humans counted among their ruling class many brave and noble warriors? Aside from Thurgon, where are they?

Last edited:

Originally posted by Manbearcat
** It is a wild and natural place beyond the walls…where the horde lurks. Have your powerful Rituals given you egress from the city’s walls and infiltration of the enemy ranks during the siege?

You work your way back into the city through the same way you left the night before. The meeting with the chamberlain (and hopefully the king) is less than a stone's throw away. Surely your companions will be congregating on the grand spiral stair in short order. Your thoughts flit back to the night before and the truly grave situation outside the walls.

How did you find this place? What is it? Obviously its not a large enough means to expedite a mass exodus from the city. Does anyone even know about this place?

Where are you going? The granaries have been taken by the enemy. Of that you know for sure. Your experience with the orcish tongue is proficient enough to know the words "parlay". Parlay with whom? When? Where?

There are all manner of siege weapons but a grand siege on the wall doesn't appear to be on the docket; at least for now. Teams of Hill Giants heft great boulders into oversized catapults, lobbing them at the stone edifices of the great city.

One thing is clear. There is a greater command and control effort outside the city walls (with orcs and monstrosities!) than there is inside the walls. The leadership elements of this horde are somewhere because their presence is palpable.

Ok. Go ahead and fill me in on how you got here and how you're getting back. What are you doing out there and how are you doing it?

EDIT 1:

He doubted there would be any wood elves to be found in the forest, but perhaps he could seek out answers from his reclusive kin that still resided in the forest within the forest.

Once within the old forest Lucann sought out signs of faerie rings, knowing his path back to the spiral staircase would not be overly long.

Game Mechanics
Tree Stride: 1d20+18=24 - 4 hours
Nature Roll to find fairy rings quickly: 1d20+18=31

When Lucann arrives back in the city he will intercept Thurgon and attempt to gain entrance with tidings from his Eladrin cousins. What those tidings are still needs to be discovered.

Seeking answers, Lucann adeptly navigates the, what would otherwise be bewildering, trails of the forest. His efforts take him to the top of an alpine valley with walls nearly sheer. A great Witchbark tree, craggy branch as nose and sunken nodules as eyes still prominent, dominates the overlook. Down below, its long separated spawn oversees an obvious (to Lucann at least) Fey Crossing. Something disturbing catches his eye before he prepares the communion with the spirit of the tree, asking its permission to freely enter; (your severe passive Perception check is good here - roll it for more info) someone has moved through this tree, stood on this ground and disturbed this same brush within the last several days.

When you reach the Witchbark at the bottom, the tale is the same. The soft, humanoid prints disappear at the Fey Ring. They are clearly moving away from this place and toward the way you came from; toward the city.

In short order you complete the Fey Passage and step through into the Feywild, you instantly get the sense of not being alone. You spot your company in short order; a contingent of grim-faced Eladrin, weapons brandished, looking none too amused at the arrival of an Elf. This is no chance meeting. You are certain these are sentinels and the keenness of your scrutinizing eyes tells you they are doing the same to you; scrutinizing every inch of you...for signs of...what?

Let me know of your Perception check:

1 - If passes DC 28, I want you to tell me the type of creature you believe it to be and how this comes up in your meeting with the Eladrin.

2 - If it does not pass DC 28, you know no more than you do already. I then want you to tell me how you plan to deal with the present Eladrin Guarding the Fey Crossing. Give me your full M.O. including relevant "if, then" scenarios and mechanical resolution.

Noticing the sentinels before him, Lucann ritually places his spear to the ground blade end up. This indicates that he does not wish to engage in hostilities, but will defend himself if tested or challenged. He ensures that the chain of three silver leaves attached to his spear are plainly visible as is his necklace indicating the same.

"Brethren, I come to you as an emissary of She Who Walks the Woods of the World. As the old accords were written She promised to watch over the world beyond and it is in accordance with this duty I invoke the meeting of cousins*, as is my right. I do not do so lightly. A great host amasses to take the human city and in their path lies the ties that bind us together."

As he speaks Lucann takes stock of the sentries to discern what they are truly guarding from.

Initial Perception: 1d20+16=21
Religion to invoke the meeting of cousins and to leverage Lucann's position as a priest of Sehanine:1d20+15=34
Insight to take stock of the Eladrin Sentries: 1d20+21=28

Note: The meeting of cousins occurs between one priest of Sehanine and another of Corellan to ensure the accords are kept as they should be.

EDIT 2:

The Eladrin's heightened, wary state relaxes and their hesitation gives way to solemn good will. They speak a ritualized chant to Sehanine to firm up your bond (and likely to reconfirm that you are who you say you are...you sense that they are on such edge that trust is not easily earned, even after your sincere, formalized offerings). The priest of Correllon on patrol with them emerges from their small numbers and you know their trust is at last earned.

He hears your story and relates his own. Unseelie Fey have been moving through this, extremely well guarded and monitored, territory as of late. One such agent actually was able to use the Fey Crossings and is still in your world. The Dragon is known to them and it is believed that the Unseelie Fey, the recent breach of the Feywild crossing and the dragon's corresponding domain on your world is related...but how is yet to be known.

* You may spend a Healing Surge and invoke Enemy in Our Midst in the coming action scene. If you pass the Hard DC when you use it, your next ally to use a social skill gains a + 2 bonus to that skill. Make sure they are aware.

** If you have anything further you wish to to cover, let me know. If not, see @pemerton 's update 3.

*** Action Scene pending LostSoul's and Sheadunne's Transition Scene resolution.

Last edited:

Remove ads