The Chronicle of Burne, and Some Others of Lesser Importance *Updated May 17th, 2009*

Mallus

Legend
doghead said:
It reminds me of the world of china melville, familiar and yet surprising.
Thanks, that was exactly what I was shooting for, familiar and at the same time not. Of course, after a couple of years of play, we've left Mieville's New Crobuzon behind and veered closer to a mix Discworld meets Xanth, except with more wuxia (last session it rained ghost-ninja in the city of Narayan).

I love this group. I should mention that more often.

Next up, the Four Crazy Bastards talk to the cops. The rapier-wielding, flouncy-shirt wearing, talking Gondola-riding cops...

Mallus

Legend
Interlude: The Gondoliers, part I

Most visitors to the Gondolier’s1 Guildhall don’t realize that the ceiling should be falling down on them until it’s too late. They “ooh” and “ah” at its vast and flat surface high above them, elaborately frescoed, flaunting an almost painful attention to detail. Then some clever chap will notice there isn’t a beam, column, or even the slightest hint of an arch in sight. It’s completely unsupported, held up by air, giving the Gondolier headquarters the feel of a cathedral constructed for the sole purpose of being an uncharitable metaphor.

Architects call it ‘daring’, adjustors call it ‘uninsurable’, and mothers reflexively shield their children’s heads when passing through. Agora- and claustrophobics can finally agree on something with this space; the way that it’s both terrifyingly empty and just about to press them flat. It does, of course, have supporting columns. Dozens, in fact, scattered across the world, their tops connected to the ceiling by means of invisible Gates. Occasionally passing goatherds will stop to wonder why masons from the great city came out to the middle of nowhere to build roof-less temples, which invited all manner of speculation about bankrupt gods, spiteful roof-flinging Titans, and the inherent sickness of city slickers.

Lord Kenji and his retinue are neither afraid of nor impressed by the architecture as they sweep through the great hall on their way to a private meeting with Gondolier Captain Arramis Ben Donovan. Kenji idly remarks to Dr. Wu that he finds the place aesthetically displeasing, which coming from Lord Kenji might be construed as death threat against the artisans involved, while Burne bemoans the fire-proof construction. Rackhir alone likes the place, and then only for its lack of available cover. Joachim, Mercutio, and Mallus Lovesworn silently keep pace; content simply to add a baker, a fakir, and a heartache-breaker to the aforementioned company of butchers.

They’re here to discuss the danger presented to CITY by a Shirac mind-witch named Nadir Akmad-Medhi who has discovered the secret shrine to the Bad Hunger, a mad Elder god, beneath what’s now a thriving farmers market in the Little Ajakhan. They were invited because the Shirac rulers took them very seriously after their public dust-up with Nadir Medhi in the Great Bazaar in Marimra. The Shirac Board of Adepts did them the twin honors of first flying them on roc-back to their seat of power at the Miir Valley School for an audience, and then second, leaving them with their own free will intact after they declined an offer of direct employment.

Clearly, they were people to be reckoned with, pressed into civil service. Or failing that, made to disappear, quietly and sudden-like, say, into the mouth of an active volcano.

The meeting takes place in a small, tastefully appointed room dominated by a round, rune-carved hardwood table.

“This is the Sound Table,” says Captain Ben Donovan, taking his seat, “a priceless antique blessed by an entire Jury Grand of Barristers from the Courts Absolute. The Table reveals any falsehood spoken around it. Tell a little white lie and it starts keening like a Shirac mother who caught her son ogling a Gentile girl. Tell a whopper and it booms like indoor thunder. Get my meaning?”

“We have no reason to dishonor ourselves with untruths” begins Lord Kenji. Everyone present except the Gondolier holds their breath. Burne considers quietly arming his Destructive Engine, and then reconsiders, seeing as that’s completely impossible.

The Table makes nary a peep.

The Four Crazy Bastards, minus Meiji, who’s busy preparing for his date with the mysterious Lady Eve, breathe a collective sigh of relief.

“Please allow me to recount the crimes of the dishonorable Shirac Nadir Medhi…” continues the samurai.

Ever been sung to by a flight of songbirds? That’s what’s it like when Yamamoto Kenji brings the full force of his speaking voice to bear. Except in this case the songbirds have been dusted with opium and they’re carrying tiny knives. Captain Ben Donovan finds himself nodding in agreement. His jaw slackens.

“He compelled a giant to split this poor fellow’s head like a melon? We can’t have that.” says the Gondolier Captain.

Rackhir twitches.

“He’s seeks an audience with an ancient evil under a fruit stand? Good god!”

Songbirds continue to wheel around Ben Donovan’s head.

“Two counts of grand theft arcane and criminal manipulation of the local weather?”

One songbird brushes a narcotic wing against Ben Donovan’s lips as his fellows begin prodding the Gondolier with their knives.

“Of course we’ll do something! That’s what the Gondoliers are here for!”

Lord Kenji then inquires about the previous stirring of the Bad Hunger, during which several orphans got eaten.

“In the end we got one conviction and the Bishop swung like a thurible, but I always suspected there was more to that case than met the eye. I just couldn’t prove anything. Throughout the investigation we could tell the priest’s were stonewalling us, the whole lot of ‘em, going ‘oracular’ whenever we asked the hard questions. They really put up the Shield of Faith…”

Perhaps growing bored –it’s so devilishly hard to tell with him-- Kenji decides to end their business with a handful of words, wringing from Ben Donovan’s an offer of a temporary commission for the Bastards, entirely on the samurai’s terms. He then reads off a lengthy request for equipment.

Ever been given a hummer by an attractive person of indeterminate gender who probably meant you harm? Who also happened to be armed with a wickedly sharp sword? That’s what’s it like when Yamamoto Kenji brings the full force of his negotiating skills to bear. Feeling slightly dirty for a reason he can’t quite articulate, Captain Ben Donovan dismisses them and prepares to present Kenji’s request to his superiors.

The Bastards wait for word in a pleasantly warm solarium, lit by wan, winters' afternoon light. After a half and hour, Ben Donovan’s young female assistant appears.

"The Captain will be along shortly” says the young Gondolier-in-training. "Where are my manners?” she asks no-one in particular, "We haven't been properly introduced. I'm Gilda San Gallina..."

"San Gallina?", whispers Mallus, "so she's an orphan, or someone’s bastard. The Gondoliers don't usually accept women. She was probably raised by them..."

Gilda continues, smiling, "... and we should talk a little about the existence or non-existence of 'conditions' on your commission."

"Or by a pack of royal press secretaries" sighs Mallus.

"Sometimes things go... badly. The wrong people wind up feeding the koi in the Grand Canal. Or the right people do, but at the wrong time or for the wrong reasons. It really can’t be helped". She smiles sweetly with the battle-hardened poise of a beauty contest winner.

"Is she saying what I think she's saying?" says Joachim.

"It's all for the good of CITY. We know you'll try your best. But if things take a... regrettable turn, remember not to cause too much fuss. If you get arrested, do your duty. Go quietly. We'll make sure everything is set right." Gilda says all this with an unnerving blend of complete naiveté and utter cynicism. "Any questions?"

Mallus stands. "Will we be given legal recognition then, something like a Letter of Marque?"

"Better. An official Mark of Marque! Except, we won't actually be, umm, putting a traceable Gate Mark on any of you, because we're trying to maintain something Captain Ben Donovan calls 'maximum deniability'. But your Marks will be duly recorded in the Annals of the Gondoliers. Oh, here comes the Captain. He'll convey you back to your residences via his Gondola, Leaf-On-Water."

"One more thing," says Gilda San Gallina, "don't offer his Gondola an apple. Or a sugar cube. She's not a horse, and gets very cross if you treat her like one. And whatever you do, don't give her a cigar, even if she asks nicely. It's a terrible habit. Especially when you're made of wood.

1The Gondoliers are a law enforcement agency mandated to keep the peace between the multitude of peoples, cultures and governments in CITY. Named for their small, magical, often animated or ghost-possessed watercraft, the Gondolier’s began as a front for the Gallinan Royal Secret Police, and remain based out of the Old Drowntown section of Gallina:CITY. They’re renowned for their diplomacy, swordsmanship, and the Gate-magic capabilities they receive from their close partnership with the Acadeum Gaeta.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
Interlude: The Gondoliers, part II

Lord Kenji and company sail the Grand Canal from Gallina to Eris aboard Captain Ben Donovan’s Gondola, Leaf-on-Water. She’s been in the Captain family for generations. In fact, if certain rumors concerning the origin of her animating spirit are true, she’s spent the initial part of that time as a member.

Riding from city to city in a Gondola is a great honor which is completely lost on the Four Crazy Bastards. Kenji looks bored, but pretty, Dr. Wu, loyal, but simian, Rackhir simply stoic. Burne looks aghast at the thought of riding on something as fragile as a little swan-necked boat made of wood. If men were meant to sail, he thinks, then solid iron would float.

Unfortunately for physics, this gives him an idea.

Joachim eats a dainty cake while Mallus carefully mixes a rosewater-and-gin. Out of habit, the silent Mercutio plays with his magic rod while the succubus inside it fills the air with impure vibrations, much to the chagrin of the men standing next to him in the tiny boat.

"I'll keep this brief" says Ben Donovan, as he absently, and unnecessarily lowers his pole into the Grand Canal's glass-clear water. He’s all but recovered from his bout of negotiating with the unnervingly charismatic samurai, though, truth be told, he still looks a little flushed.

"You request for… highly specialized equipment is being processed. That's some damn odd and expensive gear you're looking for, though I imagine it’ll come in handy for hunting a powerful Shirac mind-witch. You can pick it up at Chan's Laundry in Little Ajakhan tomorrow, noon local time. It's on the street that runs along the Ft. Ormond canal, a block south from the Dragon Bridge. Here's the ticket."

The Captain dips his boatman’s pole into the Canal. Koi dart around its length. Like any woman, Leaf-on-Water continues to move wholly of her own accord.

"You'll be introduced to two of our men there. They'll be wearing naval uniforms; Lieutenants Garble and Flinch. However, I have these for you now” says the Captain. He hands Kenji two small leather pouches.

"Four pairs of Gate-marked Exchange Stones and four pairs of Caper Rings. The Exchange Stones do exactly that, they swap places when invoked, taking the bearer along with it. The rings are for long distance communication. Each is connected to its mate. They’re just the thing for pulling off perfectly timed capers, or so the Crooked Sages we bought them from said."

Leaf-on-Water crosses through the Gate that connects the Gallinan stretch of the canal to the capitol of CITY. The passengers are suddenly struck by the impression of floating in a vast empty sky full of enormous goldfish who happen to be singing a soaring choral arrangement. In a moment it passes. The passengers, except for the Captain, stand blinkered and blinking, struck not so much dumb as mildly retarded.

The Gondolier looks at them and shrugs, his shoulders saying ‘Eh, you get used to that’. The Gondola enters the Saltbend district of Eris. Mallus, unfazed by any metaphysical experience that doesn’t involve a well-made martini, utters a sigh of relief. "It's good to be back in a fashionable neighborhood. Well, I'll be getting off here."

"You should stay together" says Ben Donovan. “In case the mind-witch comes hunting you”.

The unsupportable weight of simple common sense comes crashing down on the Lovesworn, striking him squarely in the hardened knot of his liver.

Abraxis chimes it, "YOU COULD ALL STAY AT BURNE'S APARTMENT. IT’S NEARBY. ARE ANY OF YOU ALLERGIC TO FINELY-POWDERED LEAD?

It’s going to be a long night, thinks Mallus.

It's far too warm inside the “Chan Can Clean!” laundry and there's hardly any room for the motley assortment of pyromaniac patriots, foreigners, Lovesworn, priests and monkey-men to stand. Naval uniforms in varying states of cleanliness hang everywhere. The commingled smell of spilled wine, blood and salted pork is nauseating. Except for Dr Wu, who seems to enjoy it.

"Ah, civilian customers, Chan not get too many, but much appreciated when he do! Less blood. Usually. Chan offers finest traditional Ajakhani cleaning. Use ancient secrets of the Wu."

After this last remark, sifu Wujuyama, youngest of the sacred Guardians of Wu-Dan Mountain, leaps onto the counter, his long red silk scarf trailing.

"Oh really?" deadpans Wu.

Chan blanches when he realizes the simian fellow is a holy Vanara, not a run-if-the-mill CITY Hannu. "Most proliferate of apologies, Wu-sifu. I didn't see you. I mean I didn’t see you were you. Forgive the mindless chatter I should reserve for the gaijin. Umm, pick up or drop off?"

Kenji hands the dishonored laundry man the Gondoliers ticket. Chan silently leads them into the back of the shop, down a rickety flight of stairs to a basement storeroom. The smell of lye, not ancient Eastern magic, is overpowering. Inside, two men in Naval Intelligence uniforms await.

"HOOM DE VOOM-SHOOM DU'HOMME BOMB! REVI BEVY HEV HEV LEVY'SEV. NICE VICE THRICE O'RICE RICE!" bellows the taller and fatter of the two.

"That's Garble." says the smaller and thinner man. "He's thanking you for rescuing Captain Revi and the officers aboard the Windsprint, and for all the good work you've done around Little Ajakahn. You'll have to excuse him. While he's completely fluent in CITY:common, he chooses only to speak the un:Common dialect of his native Ulum Dreii. Don't bother trying to make sense out of the words, they're meaningless. It's all volume and context."

"PINCH PINCH FLINCH!" shouts Lieutenant Garble as he points at his comrade.

The smaller man literally leaps away from the outstretched digit and cowers momentarily, "I'm Flinch, by the way. This is what we have for you."

Lieutenant Flinch picks a large burlap sack off the floor. He reaches in.

"The Hand of Glory... thought we're fairly certain that was an assumed name. Grotesque, isn't it? Glory was a senior member of the Brotherhood of the Black Worm until she got nicked by a pack of vampires. Her hand's still plenty magical, though."

The thin Gondolier holds up a small metal figurine.

"This is Gyrefalcon's Gryphon. Or should I say --Flinch pauses to take a deep breath-- the Size-Malleable Self-Winding Phlogistonic Gryphon Prototype Alpha by Magnus Gyrefalcon the Magnanimous. It's really an armor-plated combat gryphon-golem... err... thing. See, you just pull this little key here and it expands to full size. When you're done with it, insert the key, and it shrinks back."

"But whatever you do, don't wind it yourself."

Lt. Flinch draws out a plain-looking cloth bag.

"This is a Helpful Haversack. Just fill it with equipment. When you need something, simply call out the name of the item and it'll be handed right to you. Most of the time. See, the thing is this isn't Gondolier standard issue. That wouldn’t be wise given your situation. The bottom of Haversack contains a Gate that leads to the one of the finest fraternity houses at the Acadeum Gaeta. Promising bunch of fellows, but they do tend to drink."

The next item is a rather sooty-looking empty quiver.

"The Ever-full Quiver. Well, it'll be full until the curio-shop in Ulum Dreii that it opens into goes out of business. But I wouldn't worry. I hear they're quite flush."

The little Gondolier struggles a bit, finally pulling free a light chain shirt.

"Some armor to gird a mighty Shirac-hunter, made from the finest Erisian mithral that Gallinan money can buy! Note the spiral rune across the chest. It was made from a real Shirac through a process I’d rather not think too much about. Umm, I’d wear something over it in Marimbra, if I were you."

Flinch then empties the remainder of the sack onto the floor.

"And finally an assortment of useful odds and ends… a fully-loaded brass hypodermic full of Moderately Curative Elixir… watch out for air bubbles when you use it, or it could be fatal… two silk packets full of Dust of Appearing… and a Potion of Speediness.”

As the Bastards gather up the remaining equipment, Flinch says, "Good hunting. And be careful out there.”

"HROOM!” adds Garble.

(Next up… back to Burne’s chronicling as the Four Crazy Bastards pursue their nemesis, Nadir Akmhad-Medhi)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I know it's a bit late, but...

"the bishop swung like a thurible"

Genius. Pure genius.

I just finally caught up, after sadly neglecting this thread for a year or so. Very glad I did.

Demiurge out.

Rolzup

First Post
As the Gondoliers and Kenji bickered back and forth over trivialities, I meditated upon our situation.

THAT THE MANTRA THAT HE CHANTS WHILE "MEDITATING" SOUNDS REMARKABLY LIKE SNORING IS, OF COURSE, MERELY A FANTASTIC COINCIDENCE.

And, naturally, I came to a brilliant solution. We knew that one Dr. Mephisophocles, of the University of Narayan, had had...dealings with Nadir. Dealing of a decidedly hostile nature, according to what we'd been told. University politics can be quite remarkable unpleasant at times, and apparently Nadir's quest to obtain the Chair of the Department of Mind's Eye by force had been one of those times. And his unauthorized quaffing of demon’s blood form the university’s treasured "Goblet of Ire" hadn't helped matters. Surely Mephisophocles would be more than willing to help us locate the Shiraci miscreant and bring him to justice.

By which I mean "set him afire".

MOST OF WHAT BURNE SAYS CAN BE TRANSLATED THUSLY.

And so, after the Gondoliers provided us with their very interesting toys -- including a mechanical griffin with attack and in-flight drink service capabilities that was very nearly as brilliant as my own creations, and a Gate-Equipped haversack that I naturally claimed for myself -- we set out for the University.

Of course it wasn't that easy. Mephisophocles had gone missing, as we were informed by a young female student who was busy nailing a letter of, how shall I out this, questionable appropriateness to his office door.

BURNE READ THE NOTE AS SOON AS SHE’D SLUNK AWAY. HAVEN’T I MENTIONED HIS VOYUERISTIC STREAK BEFORE?

When questioned she identified herself as Dalenda Wrothchilde, of the Narayan Wrothchilde’s, an old-money clan of family of pirates-turned-winemakers. She had been trying to track the good Doctor down for some time, to no avail. It was entirely possible that he had, to use to common parlance, "skipped town" simply to avoid her...but really, how likely could it be that such a mundane answer would be correct?

FOR ONCE, I HAVE TO AGREE WITH HIM.

Fortunately, we had another resource to draw upon. A colleague of Mephisophocles, Professor Gaspard Obeserai Illigitamo, head of the Department of Antiquities. A man we had, in fact, encountered some weeks previously, when he was investigating the trail of our -still- missing madman. Illigitamo had some small psychometric talent, allowing him to "read" object and determine the location of their owners, and could likely help us track down the missing demonologist.

Illigitamo, as it turned out, was concerned about Mephisophocles, and was quite willing to help. He'd seen the man before he left, and he'd been wearing an iron headband that should have made him immune to Nadir's powers. Clearly, he'd been expecting trouble. And this had been some weeks ago, with no sign of Mephisophocles since.

We did, of course, need to obtain something with a personal connection to Mephisophocles, for Illigitamo to work his Art upon. Easier said than done, raiding a demonologist’s office, but not impossible for a man of my talents.

THIS PARTICULAR TALENT WAS "STAND BACK AND SHOUT USELESS ADVICE TO EVERYONE ELSE." HE'S VERY GOOD AT THAT.

We found two possibilities, after a bit of work. The first was a document, a contract of some sort between Mephisophocles and Erebus. Or someone calling himself Erebus, at any rate. Oddly, Illigitamo could glean nothing from it. Happily, an elixir that we uncovered proved to be suitable, and Illigitamo promised us results as quickly as he could provide them. Which would be in 24 hours, give or take. The poor man was cursed with a slow and thorough mind ill-suited to matters of higher learning.

I COULDN’T MAKE THIS SH*T UP.

And so we returned to our various homes for the evening, to rest and prepare. I did so by stuffing various items into the so-called "Haversack of Holding", but keeping in mind that its other end lay somewhere in a fraternity house, I forbore including any of my more explosive belongings.

SURPRISINGLY, EVEN BURNE'S STUPIDITY HAS ITS LIMITS.

We rendezvoused just after dawn, and met with Illigitamo. He told us what he'd been able to learn, which was actually quite helpful. Mephisophocles, it appears, was in a place called the Fissure of Leaves -- or possibly "Lives"; Illigiamo was uncertain -- somewhere in the Lassantes Wastes a few days travel northwest of Marimbra.

Some research was done, some questions asked, and a tentative map was scrawled on the back of a piece of parchment.

ACTUALLY IT WAS ON AN OLD COCKTAIL NAPKIN OF MALLUS’.

And we set forth for Marimbra.

THERE WAS MUCH REJOICING. IN NARAYAN.

It was a short journey, owing to the convenience of the Gates and the brilliance of the Empire's city planners, before we found ourselves in the Great Bazaar. Which really isn't all that great. Much too sandy for my liking, for one thing. And far too many foreigners, for another. These are, alas, the prices that one must pay for tolerance.

NOT TO MENTION CHEAP, FINELY MADE MAGICAL GOODS.

Which is something else that's wholly overrated, while I'm on the subject. In point of fact....

FOR THE SAKE OF EVERYONE'S SANITY, I SHALL EDIT OUT THE NEXT TEN
MINUTES OF SEMI-COHERENT RAMBLING AND PROVIDE A CONCISE SUMMARY: BURNE IS A BASTARD.

...and that's why they should all be killed, and the desert turned into a vast plain of faintly luminescent glass. But enough of my digression; I shall have to write a pamphlet on the subject at a later date.

I PITY THE BIRD THAT WILL EVENTUALLY DEFECATE ON IT.

I sent Rackhir and Kenji, both of whom harbor an entirely unreasoning fear of invisible assailants, off to find something to alleviate their terror, like unwatered wine or a prepubescent boy. Meiji I instructed to find us some means of transport across the desert. He returned with several camels, a lamentably primitive form of transportation that entirely lacks any sort of rocket assistance. With some misgivings, I agreed that they would suffice. Barely.

And thus, off we went into the Wastes. The temperature was agreeably scorching, but the vista left much...well, everything to be desired. Sand is so terribly tedious; glass is really much more interesting and attractive. And allows one to build up an impressive static charge, if so inclined. Someday, someday....

We passed through a pair of small towns -- first Qub, and then Tal Salaam, neither of which was really worth the time that I've just spent mentioning them, really. We did, however, learn a few things in the latter settlement, thanks to Meiji's habit of babbling at anyone willing to stand still for a few moments.

Tal Salaam was a walled town; whether to keep the desert out, or the inhabitants in, I dare not guess. None of my concern in either case. But the town was under the protection of a man named "Ali", who'd made his fortune acting as a buying agent for "The King of Thieves" who lived somewhere in the Wastes. A man who purchased a surprising amount of goat, for reasons Ali dared not guess.

He was a pleasant enough fellow, I suppose, for a foreigner. We spent the night in his abode, treated to a rather tasty feast, except for Rackhir. He, mired in paranoia, insisted on spending the night outside, under the stars.

We left, well-fed and well-rested, with the dawning of the next day. With at least another full day of travel ahead of us.

AnonymousOne

First Post
I have just read through six pages of absolutely amazing writing. 'Bout time for an update... *poke poke*

I like Burne, nearly as much of a Pyromaniac as several of my characters.

Remove ads