The Chronicles of Essenon-Vengeance!

Tsillanabor

First Post
Tal Rasha said:
Oh, but I beg to differ. I just read what you posted so far, listening to Within Temptation's "The Howling" in the background. Let me tell you, that introduction kicks ass. I find that the poetry in the introduction is a bit better than the one in the rest of the posts, but IMO, a story-hour that had some nicely done norse-style poetry would RULE.

Tal Rasha
Thanks. The problem is that it is really difficult to do and comes out forced. I may do an introduction to each adventure and leave it at that.

What I think I need to work on is description. I've tried to transcribe our recorded sessions accurately, but I need to describe what the characters are seeing better.

Tsillanabor

First Post
There is now a new beginning to the Trolls and Treachery adventure. I'm also rewriting the other posts-I'll replace them as I get done. Any comments or even (especially in fact) critiques are appreciated-I'm trying to improve my style.

EDIT: There is now a newly edited post 4, including new faux-poetry. I think it is better than what was there, but decide for yourselves. :D

EDIT AGAIN: There is now a new post 5. I tried to expand the previous exposition, but it didn't work very well. I then tried to transcribe the conversation, but there were too many meta-gaming insults thrown at the household guard. I decided to try the faux-verse and it seemed to work pretty well. I'm somewhat proud of the beginning of the second verse, especially the "rotten wood" line. It is sometimes difficult to force a line into 12 syllables, but those lines really seemed to flow.

Last edited:

Tsillanabor

First Post
Okay-new post 8 is up. I actually ended up restoring much of the original battle-I wanted to get across how close this actually was.

Last edited:

Tsillanabor

First Post
The group returns to Heorot and goes to bed. They doubt that the creature will return before the next nightfall. The next morning they find Hrothgar waiting for them as the descend the stairs. He did not look to be in a pleasant mood.

“Another of my men died last night!” he said accusingly.

“Grendel was certainly fast,” Wiglaf said.

“Yes he was,” Rigor added, “the man was dead before we could even reach him.”

“I thought you said you would stop Grendel,” Hrothgar said, glaring at the group.

“We will,” Brock said, “it will be easier now that we know what we are dealing with.”

“You let him escape!” Hrothgar yelled.

“Brock had to fight him by himself because YOUR stupid guards were running around like panicked children!” Garusha yelled back. Hrothgar’s face darkened. Wiglaf quickly pulled Garusha aside to try to defuse the situation.

Brock was struggling with his anger. He knew how close to death he had been last night. If not for Garusha’s powers…

“Your men hampered our abilities last night,” he said with a voice colder than ice, “keep them out of our way and we’ll do better.” He turned to the group, “come my friends. Rynn will likely stop at the village tavern on his way into town. Let us await him there.”

Yesterday, back at Geatmon…

Wael approached Rynn cautiously. The man reeked of ale, and was unpredictable at the best of times. He had stumbled in at noon and headed upstairs to his room. Then he ordered Wael to bring him lunch.

Rynn lay sprawled across his bed facedown. His blond hair was a tangled mess and he had somehow managed to put his leather armor on backwards. As usual his bow and arrows were immaculate-he took better care of them than he did himself.

Wael set the tray on a small table and cleared his throat. “Master Rynn?”

“Grymfurff,” Rynn replied.

“Your dinner is served,” Wael continued, “and there is a message for you from Lord Brock.”

His duty accomplished, Wael swiftly exited the room.

A short time later Rynn woke and ate. Upon his tray he found a note from Brock telling him of their mission to Heorot and asking him to join them. Rynn returned to his bed.

Late that night Rynn woke. Thanks to his keen elven senses he was fully capable of riding at night. He gathered his weapons, saddled his horse, and rode after his companions.

He arrived at the village of Heorot shortly after noon the next day. Having drained his flask, he journeyed to the local tavern for a refill. He was surprised to find the group waiting for him.

“Nice of you to show up,” Garusha said, “hope we didn’t disturb your beauty rest.”

“Not at all,” Rynn quips as the barkeeper refills his flask, “Why is everyone waiting on me?” he asked.

The group quickly filled him in on the situation.

“So what are we going to do now?” Rynn asked.

“Who knows? If only we had someone trained in the ability to track,” Garusha said sarcastically, “you know, like a ranger or something.”

“Yeah that’d be great,” Rynn said, “oh, wait a minute…”

They took Rynn to where they had fought the creature. Rigor asked Rynn whether he would be able to track the beast.

“I could track this thing drunk,” Rynn replied.

Caeden raised an eyebrow.

“Drunker,” Rynn corrected.

Following Rynn, the group tracks Grendel to the edge of a dark, deep lake.

“The tracks go directly into the lake,” Rynn says.

Next: Into the Depths!

Remove ads