• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Cipher: A Homebrew Class for 5E

Jago

Explorer
Hoy Hoy, Folks!

So after getting hooked on and playing a lot of Obsidian Entertainment's Pillars Of Eternity (which I highly recommend for that old-school CRPG feel), I worked with a friend of mine to draft up a new class for 5E: The Cipher.

For those who do not know, The Cipher is something rather unique to the setting of PoE, but their premise is that they are essentially soul psychics: they can see, read, and manipulate the souls of others, using a pool of "Focus" that they build from leeching off of the souls of others to power their abilities. They are part psychic detective, part mind-warrior, and definitely an interesting amalgamation of several different RPG classes.

I have tried to reconstruct this feel into a class for 5th Edition, wanting to capture their identity as people who have an interesting means to solve social interactions while also being competent combatants, with powers that must use other creatures to channel and target their abilities.

Though I've tinkered with it quite a bit, I will admit that I'm not sure exactly how balanced this is, so I submit it to EnWorld to see opinions, criticism, and so on. Please see the attachment below and remember that I am not an expert at this.

View attachment Cipher.pdf

Last edited:

Remove ads