• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Closed Eye (DM: Halford, Judge: garyh)

Graf

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]

Point of Clarification...
I'm a little confused. The family that sold the fake Screamers is the same family that was written about in the Screamer? Does that mean the fake Screamers were to abnegate the real Screamer?

I thought the family trying to buy up the Screamers were the family at the wedding, and another family was printing up fake Screamers--probably to stir up trouble for the wedding family.[/sblock]
[sblock=Oops]Sorry, yeah. You're right. That's what happens when I go to fast.

On the other hand your 12 wasn't going to get that particular set of information out of him.[/sblock]

Graf

Explorer
"Hrm. Marco, you wouldn't happen to know the whereabouts of a Glasster...Gaston...er, Glasston...yes, Glasston boy? I think his first name was Arnest or Arnold or somesuch. We've encountered his name a few times in the course of our investigation, and I think he may have knowledge of our murderer that could help us free the streets of Daunton from this scourge."

Glasston.... I never heard his name but... well... you can tell. The family nose you know.

He was quite a peculiar lad really. Would go around to each shop and see their Screamers, buy the one he thought was "the best". He came here most frequently of course.

And he always paid the price he thought was "appropriate to the quality" ... always more than market, of course, but... well... who pays more than market?
The halflings utter bafflement at the behavior is apparent in his tone.

Now that you mention it... he was always here early. Sometimes he was here before I opened. I just assumed he was paying somebody to let him know.

Palindrome shares the results of his...
He requests the copy of the Screamer and--in succession, pausing to study the results--casts the four cantrips upon the Screamer, in this order: Light, Ghost Sound, Prestidigitation, and Mage Hand.
As expected it's not reactive to any of those magics.

[sblock=In the library]Searching for "text oriented magics" is only slightly less constrained that searching for "all magic". In fact the library, is quite naturally oriented toward the intersection of magic and writing.

As a general rule, a signficant proportion of wizards, ritualists, arcanists etc love codes, generating an aura of mystery and hiding things. And they love books. No small percentage of that group also likes to write.

In short order Palindrome has pulled out more than two dozen books related in some way to writing and magic. Common topics include scroll creation, glyphs, proper writing of arcane works, proper writing of academic works regarding the arcane, the proper method of writing academic works critiquing arcane works, and so forth.

[sblock=Specific Books that are more related to the topic at hand]

Haflod's Magical Writing is generally considered to be the most detailed and comprehensive book on the subject of Magic applied to written text. (Which he defines basically as magic acting upon text whose only purpose is the conveyance of information to the reader); he holds it in contrast to magic which accomplishes some sort of effect.
Topics include wizard marks, hidden text, magically active text and so forth.

• Haflod would argue that every writing is hidden by someone to be read again later. The transfer of information is the point of writing.
    • By extension there must be some way to retreive whatever was written.

Vaithe's True Writing: The Beginners Lexicon; Haflod's brilliant and excentric student Vaithe uses the same definition as Haflod but writes it in 4 pages of arcane arcaomathmatics, with a sumptuous 20 page index with charts, a glyph matrix and charts of "lingustic force interactions".
Almost all wizards of any statue have a copy of Vaithe's Writing. You aren't a serious mage if you can't at least posit an arguement for a or against it. (Either is fine, of course. It's ultimate wizardly coffee table book).

The final line of his proof famously "disproves" his master's definition; an event he interprets as proof that all writing neessarily effects reality.
He would use this to ultimately attempt prove aparticularly esoteric beleif about the nature of reality*
[sblock=*]Vaithe felt that everything was information. His fabled master piece, the 2000 page Word as Reality, has been lost but supposedly detailed a beleive that the world was information; and in an appendix, developed a new school of magic.

The two intervening books, both of which extant, but incomplete, copies remain propose a new alphabet (the "true alphabet") comprised of 188 mathematically perfect units and a new sample gramatical structure; which spends 188 pages (exactly) proposing the creation of a mobulos strip made of adamantine.
Supposedly each time it's opened a mobulos strip made of the fabled substance appears; that's been wildly derided though, and proved impossible by two, entirely seperate and highly respected Oian theorists. [/sblock]

• Vaithe beleives that writing itself is an act of mystical importance. Any mystical effect that is overlooked is simply a failure on the part of the observer.
  • Vaithe would argue that the effect of the writing is the point.
    • Somewhat bizarrely he also argued that writings themselves could often want something.
    • (By the point that he was saying this he was a virtual hermit.)

The only book you don't have but wish you did is Yarg's Decrypting the Hidden; which details many different esoteric hidden religious and arcane practices. You recall that one of the appendexies of the book discussed practical methods used to hide writing, with an emphasis on the unusual (and unapproved).

A priest and academic Yarg was notably practical and forthright; providing excellent and very explicit descriptions and intrepretations of a wide variety of events he had experienced during his adventuring carreer. A bit too descriptive apparently, at least one mystery cults has apparently use the book as a blueprint.

There is an explurgated version, of course, but it does't have the index (and is mostly a thinly veiled rewriting discouraging non-orthidox religous practices). The Library of Daunton has an original copy, though it's not normally available to the public.[/sblock]

You can study these books in greater detail; 4 hours lets you make one check. [/sblock]

Last edited:

KenHood

First Post
Out of Character

You can study these books in greater detail; 4 hours lets you make one check.

Four hours per book or for all in one shot?

I'm not going to commit to the check(s) until I find out what the party wants.

I support going to the Glasston residence for clues. We can tag at least two contacts there and find a lead towards a third (the elf girl).

KenHood

First Post
About Vaithe

[sblock=Esoterica...]
Vaithe felt that everything was information. His fabled master piece, the 2000 page Word as Reality, has been lost...

Lost?

A common belief, but untrue.

In actuality, Vaithe's masterpiece imploded in a paradox, when the famous Oan wizard, Nadan, postulated his Incompatibility Theorem.

The Theorem goes thus...

If "Word is Reality" as Master Vaithe states, then when one writes the following words--"Words are not reality"--one creates an inherent imbalance in the continuum of existence. For if "words are not reality" in truth, then the statement becomes a lie because it is in fact reality. But if "words are not reality" is not true, then the words ARE reality, but here are words stating that words ARE NOT reality, so they negate their own (and all other words') existence as reality.

It is written that Master Vaithe's master-piece literally vanished in a puff of logic. Ironically, in proving his work to be false, it also proved its truth, which proved its falseness, and so on.

The resonance on the fabric of reality was so great that time itself stopped in the immediate locale of the debate between Vaithe and Nadan. Should one trouble one's self to visit this location, one would find the two wizards frozen as statues, preserved at the zenith of their respective abilities. A fitting end for intellects so great.[/sblock]

Dunamin

First Post
As the quartet returns to Doddoddod's tower, Palindrome pulls alongside Woe and converses in hushed tones.

[sblock=To Woe]I'm surprised that 'goody-two-shoes' had it in him. I'd have thought he would have been the first to cry foul when I made up that story about the murderer. He's certainly a much better companion than Sir Stick-Up-My Bottom.[/sblock]

There is a significant look at Tristan.

[sblock=To Woe]But enough of that...

I've been thinking about our future visit to the Glasston's manor.

After my gibes, I think the harridan will spend great efforts in the oversight of my person. Therefore, that should leave you to move freely about the place. Should you find any valuables that appear somewhat easily missed, we could 'liberate' said articles. Then, we could secret one of the items in the possessions of the grandson, lending credence to a theory that perhaps he stole some family heirlooms before absconding.

With the blame shifted to the grandson, we could purloin to our hearts' delight and our minds' cunning judgments. All fault would lie with him. Even better if he should be dead!

Should you need my assistance in picking locks or sleights of hand, you need only ask for me whilst touching the side of your nose. I could contrive a reason to vacate the room, perhaps telling the grand-hag's lackeys that I need privacy to engage in thaumaturgy or somesuch.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Early pension]“Heh, you know I’m always good for securing our “overtime fee” when these upper class dupes have their heads so far up they can fit their shoulders inside too. I’ll see about alleviating them of more than pocket change if possible, but let’s put some restraint on this one – nothing risky enough that getting caught means a magistrate with all the love of a castrated troll in heat.”

“Table the framing schemes until we find out what happened to the kiddo. We can always come back for another picnic at the manor based on new leads in the case, whether or not we made them up. Don’t worry, P, one way or the other we’ll get paid well enough for you to hire your own puppy-kicker.”
[/sblock]

---

At Dododdod’s tower
"Either way, I think we can safely assume that Lady Glasston is unlikely to have gone asking around halfling street gangs about her son. So it is an untried avenue of attack."
"Yes, you have a point there," Tander says, nodding. He watches with interest as Woe pours himself a drink. "The gang seems as good a place to start as any. Not sure how we'd go about finding said halflings, though. I don't suppose you just walk up to a halfling and ask, 'Are you a member of the Roots?' Or do you? I know little of such matters..."
“When we come around to it – and I think any investigation of the Roots should wait until after we’ve visited the Glasstons – there’s two angles of approach I think are plausible.”

“The first,”
Woe picks up a piece of chalk and draws a curved line on the board connecting the bulleted point regarding the Roots with the point regarding the City Guard “is going by the guards implicated in the latest Screamer issue. They likely got burned because they’ve been looking into the gang for quite a while, suggesting they have some experience with operations and whereabouts of Roots members, and how best to deal with them. I have a history with the force and they would want to clear their name from media branding – should be more than enough motivation to help us out.”

“If that doesn’t work out, there’s Marco. He’s been dealing with the Roots for so long that he’s bound to know a thing or two about how they operate, how to get in touch with them, et cetera. We might even be able to use him as mediator, should it come to it.”

“Anyhow, I suggest our next stop be the Glasston manor. If Pal is going to be tied up in the library for the next couple of hours, I’m thinking of hitting the streets to see what I can learn about our suspects. How about if we meet back here about four hours past noon, go over any new findings, then head out for the Glasstons?”

Last edited:

KenHood

First Post
Out of Character: Checking the Time

[sblock=At the sound of the tone, the hour is...]
"How about if we meet back here at noon, go over any new findings, then head out for the Glasstons?”

Marco's shop is closed, and despite some efforts you have difficulty finding Marco before noon; when he strolls up to open his shop.

OOC: I may be mistaken, but I think it's already noon in the story--based on the time we arrived at Marco's and the time it would take to get back to Dod*3's tower.

It will take Palindrome a minimum of 4 hours for the research checks. Eight if he has to re-try. That would put us at the Glasston's late afternoon (1600 hours) or early evening (2000 hours).

Late afternoon would be reasonable for a business call. Early evening might be unprofessional, but it would give our characters a chance to catch the Glasston's off-balance.[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
Flashback to the Street...

[sblock=To Woe]
“...but let’s put some restraint on this one...”

Palindrome's eyes roll so far that his optical muscles almost make an audible grinding noise.

“Don’t worry, P, one way or the other we’ll get paid well enough for you to hire your own puppy-kicker.”

Horror strikes Palindrome.

"P-p-puppy-kicker?! Th-that's sick! Who would even think of something like that!"

Dumbfounded and a bit shaken, he does not speak for the remainder of walk to the tower. Every so often he shudders in disgust.

[/sblock]

---

And now at the Tower...

“Anyhow, I suggest our next stop be the Glasston manor. If Pal is going to be tied up in the library for the next couple of hours, I’m thinking of hitting the streets to see what I can learn about our suspects. How about if we meet back here at noon, go over any new findings, then head out for the Glasstons?”

"Sounds like a reasonable plan, but I'd like to add another two lists for our consideration before we part ways."

Palindrome crosses to the other side of the room, opening another secret panel that reveals a chalk board. On this is written a lengthy and lurid ritual for enhancing male potency. The sudden image of Doddoddod casting, then utilizing said ritual casts a pallor on Palindrome. The young wizard vomits in the back of his throat. He staggers to the fireplace and quaffs the remainder of the brandy.

Thus braced, he returns to the chalkboard and scrubs it clean. He writes the following lists:

Facts we know about Arnest...
  • Missing for three weeks.
  • Last know location: His room.
  • Last witness to his existence: Servant girl.
  • Grandson of the Glasston family.
  • Had some sort of 'episode' a year ago.
  • 'Fixation' with screamer started immediately after 'episode'.
  • Linked with an elf girl (identity unknown).
  • Visited multiple shops to purchase Screamer editions.
  • Paid more than market price for Screamer editions.
  • Somehow aware of where and when Screamer would be sold before it was common knowledge.

Facts we know about the Screamer...
  • No publication for three weeks.
  • Authorship unknown.
  • Weekly distribution.
  • Single sheet-large, double-sided.
  • Handwritten.
  • Written in short-lived, magical ink.
  • Many personal attacks on upper class citizenry.
  • 'EYES' articles...
    [*]Reveal secrets.
    [*]Often correct.
    [*]Accepted as fact by general public.​
  • Copies 'appear when no-one is looking'.
  • Specific vendors make permanent copies (e.g., Marco).
  • Halfling gang, Roots, distributes copies.
  • Last issue of Screamer received only by Roots gang, with fewer copies than normal.
  • Our copy of the Screamer has some sort of magic (other than the ink) applied to it.
"Any questions, additions, or comments?"

"I'd like for us to gather a sample of Arnest's handwriting and compare it to the Screamer. I think it unlikely that he is the author--considering that he expended so much effort in purchasing an exceptional copy. However, there is a correlation between his disappearance and the termination of Screamer publication."

--

[sblock=OOC: Party Splits]If no one has any changes or suggestions, Palindrome heads to the library.

Arcana check at the Daunton library. (1d20+10=26)

[sblock=GM Only]
Perception check to find something of value that won't be missed. (1d20+2=5)

Ugh! Oh, well...[/sblock][/sblock]

Dunamin

First Post
[sblock=Time travel]
[sblock=At the sound of the tone, the hour is...]

OOC: I may be mistaken, but I think it's already noon in the story--based on the time we arrived at Marco's and the time it would take to get back to Dod*3's tower.

It will take Palindrome a minimum of 4 hours for the research checks. Eight if he has to re-try. That would put us at the Glasston's late afternoon (1600 hours) or early evening (2000 hours).

Late afternoon would be reasonable for a business call. Early evening might be unprofessional, but it would give our characters a chance to catch the Glasston's off-balance.[/sblock]
Oops, I mixed up time perception there! Edited it to four hours past noon.
I think 20 o'clock would be too late - we could very well get rushed out the door by an irritated matron before we can get through all that we intend to.[/sblock]

[sblock=Upcoming Streetwise checks]Woe intends to learn what he can about Arnest & the Glasstons, the L'irkashs, D'Rawth, and the Roots, if time allows. Should that be four seperate checks or do you want it all rolled up in one?[/sblock]

Last edited:

KenHood

First Post
[sblock=Let's split!]Okay. Unless the other players have an objection, let's do the split. Palindrome will head for the library. If he needs to do more research, he'll let you know after the characters rendevous and debrief.

Hope you guys don't get into a fight without me![/sblock]

nerdytenor

First Post
[sblock=OOC AAAAAhhhghhh]
So many things going on at once my head is exploding.
[/sblock]

Tander's mind reels at the seemingly endless number of avenues of exploration, but steadies himself. Eventually, the world always provides what is needed, he thinks, remembering what some priest of some religious order told hime once. Apparently what is needed now is a bit of confusion. Sighing, Tander paces a bit. "I will accompany Woe - perhaps through his connections we will meet someone who can help us in our quest for information. Our path has a few too many forks - time to whittle them down to a more manageable number."

[sblock=OOC Skillz]
Tander will be providing Insight and Perception help for any pertinent characters/places encountered.
[/sblock]

Remove ads