• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Closed Eye (DM: Halford, Judge: garyh)

Dunamin

First Post
[sblock=Posting]
Everyone has been much more consistent in their posting than I have been.

Apologies.
Some unexpected life events have been sucking a lot of time.
How about if you post within 24 hours of a player you can raise all DCs by 1? :D

Just kidding! I really appreciate the game and think you should prioritize what’s important in your life at the moment. I know PBP can wear down on people from time to time, and has its slow and fast periods.
The game is fun and intriguing, by the way! The latest information has given me a surge of conspiracy theories and the background lore is fascinating.[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
[sblock=D'Rawth who?]History check on D'Rawth. (1d20+5=8)

D'Rawth? Wasn't he that guy that did that stuff?[/sblock]

Palindrome jiggles the WELL-CRAFTED, HEAVY lock on the case holding the floating quill.

"You are indeed the soul of civic responsibility, friend Marco! If you could also provide us with names of unsavory or unusual individuals connected with the murderous missive, my master would greatly appreciate it. Especially if you write the names on a palimpset, using that amazing golden ink."

[sblock=Diplomacy]Palindrome wants a name or two. (Diplomacy.) (1d20+7=13)

Ugh.

If you add in the other guys, it's an 18.[/sblock]

Palindrome moves near Woe, reading over Woe's shoulder. "Heh. 'Boluminous'."

[sblock=Paranoid Wizard]DM, does Marco's handwriting match any of that on the Screamer?[/sblock]

"Oh, and Marco, you never answered my question about the floating quill..."

Dunamin

First Post
“Of course, any further case-related accounts from our favorite halfling sage would greatly aid the investigation,” Woe chimes in.

Aid Another: Diplomacy (1d20+6=16. Gives +2 bonus to final result)

Palindrome moves near Woe, reading over Woe's shoulder. "Heh. 'Boluminous'."
“Boluminous indeed, the author always loathed Brunt but this thing… It looks written with such blunt passion that makes me think the smeared out words come from a steaming rain of spittle. Anyhow,” Woe points to the second eye-article for only the wizard to see – the one about allegedly bribed elite guardsmen. “I might be able to pull in some favors to provide us with additional leads.”

“P, anything new you can tell offhand from reading magical auras off the paper or some such? Or perhaps the big man - if he can be awakened?”

Woe usually refers to Doddoddod as the “big man”, playing on the fat wizard’s pretense of being a mastermind with supplicants operating for him. Of course, Palindrome, Tander, and Tristan know all too well that’s not the intended interpretation for Woe’s choice of words.

nerdytenor

First Post
"Marco, this is a great help, thank you!" Tander reaches over to pat the halfling on the shoulder, and then, thinking this might seem a condescending gesture coming from a human, gives a polite bow instead. "The more information we have, the better chance we have to deal with our little problem."

[sblock=Diplomacy Aid Another]
Aid another diplomacy 21
[/sblock]

Tander steps just close enough to the others to peer at the strange publication. "Hmm... One mystery leads to two more. Seems to be the way of the universe," he says, with a hint of weariness. "Could it be that someone didn't want their business out in the open, and was trying to send a strong message? At any rate, I suspect we're going to have to investigate the subjects of these stories in person," he adds, indicating the Screamer.

KenHood

First Post
Woe points to the second eye-article for only the wizard to see – the one about allegedly bribed elite guardsmen. “I might be able to pull in some favors to provide us with additional leads.”

Palindrome grins. "And to think that Doddoddod said you weren't worth the coin he paid for you!"

He gives Woe a thump on the arm.

"Could it be that someone didn't want their business out in the open, and was trying to send a strong message? At any rate, I suspect we're going to have to investigate the subjects of these stories in person," he adds, indicating the Screamer.

"I, for one, am curious about the wedding/human sacrifice. I've always been a sucker for human sacrifice..."

Palindrome whispers something in passing to Woe.

[sblock=To Woe...]"When we leave, I'd like to speak with you in private."

Palindrome touches the side of his nose.[/sblock]

Last edited:

KenHood

First Post
“P, anything new you can tell offhand from reading magical auras off the paper or some such?"

With the index finger of his left hand, Palindrome pulls down the bottom lid of his left eye. He squints his right eye. Holding the little and fore-finger of his right hand before his mouth in the sign of the bull, he sticks out his tongue, and utters a series of magical words that sound suspiciously like "floating quill, floating quill, floating quill...."

[sblock=Arcana check]Detect magic on Screamer. (1d20+10=25) [/sblock]

He glares at Marco. "F-L-O-A-T-I-N-G Q-U-I-L-L."

Graf

Explorer
"You are indeed the soul of civic responsibility, friend Marco! If you could also provide us with names of unsavory or unusual individuals connected with the murderous missive, my master would greatly appreciate it. Especially if you write the names on a palimpset, using that amazing golden ink."

I mean... you know it's D'Rawth, right? So, ah, I'm sure you can have find the bodies and link them to him, and then you'll have solved the case before he kills anyone else.
The halfling's voice rises several panicked octaves at the end.

"Marco, this is a great help, thank you!" Tander reaches over to pat the halfling on the shoulder, and then, thinking this might seem a condescending gesture coming from a human, gives a polite bow instead. "The more information we have, the better chance we have to deal with our little problem."

[sblock=Diplomacy Aid Another]
Aid another diplomacy 21
[/sblock]
Marco seems to become aware of his extreme importance, rising up on his little stool.

Well... unsavory... it would depend I suppose, on how you define unsavory. I mean the whole business is a tad inappropriate really. Not that I don't maintain the highest standards.

But well... the Screamer doesn't come from.... well... it appears unusually. You know, different locations, different times, sometimes it's wet. You know.

I have an arrangement.... he looks over at the window... or rather at the blinds pulled over the window. I suppose it doesn't matter anymore.

There is a gang, call themselves the Roots. Sometimes it's the something roots. Like the Resurgent Roots or the Resilient Roots. Halflings mostly, street kids really. I hear they operate out of Undergrowth.

Very good suppliers, consistent. A bit greedy but... not unreasonable. The screamer needs to be prepared quickly, or else the quality degrades. The serious buyers, they're somewhat savvy. If the screamer doesn't get to the right sort of scribes... everyone loses.

So they need access, to scribes, a lot of scribes really. People who'll make good copies; any time day or night. I've gotten woken up in the middle of the night, had to work all night.

Anyway, we had an arrangement. I'd help distribute them. Keep it quiet,
trade with the right people here in Cobblestop. I've been here a while, I know who's got sense.

Purely as a civic duty you know, to help the children. Give them some coin, keep them from getting into more serious trouble. Good practice for getting a proper job, later.

The last time, for this screamer
, the halfling points to the paper in Woe's hands, everything was unusual. Usually the screamer appears at different spots.

This time only one drop point, or so I'd heard. Right on their turf. And much fewer than usual. They had the lions share. Naturally I had to pay more, but... well... supply and demand.

As for anyone particularly unsavory?
The halfling shrugs. There were the usual sorts, people who buy every copy, or who buy whenever there's a certain kind of news. You know, gossip about the nobles, or certain kinds of nobles.

The guard came around, of course, same fellow as always, Axtius. He looked as worn out; made an effort. I always tell him, if the guard were as diligent chasing criminals as he is looking for the Screamer...?

[sblock=Woe]Axtius, or as you and the other older guardsmen called him, "Reddie" was a recruit. A half elf with a florid face and a habit of volunteering.

Volunteers are the village idiots of the city guards; looked down upon by everyone.

Reddie wasn't bad, but he had an offensive sense of optimism; the sort to wander around on a gray rainy day talking about how "you need to have bad days to appreciate the good ones".

He's exactly the sort of person to be put on "permanent" Screamer duty.
[/sblock]

And the, ahem, the halfling clears his throat, the family in question, about whom that unfortunate accusation was made. They had people down here... Waving a lot of gold around, trying to buy up copies. All very late, the regulars had already purchased it.

Then, and I'm only telling you because this is an important investigation, I heard that another family came down, arranged to have fakes made, 100 new fakes, on nice, permanent Oian paper. I wasn't involved, naturally, obviously politically motivated.

[sblock=Arcane analysis]The screamer is handwritten, and then copied using a simple set of magical inks that normally only last a few days before turning into smear.

This copy was expertly treated, by Marco (you can feel his resonance), to make the inks permanent. Probably within a half a day of having been produced. The smearing has as much to do with the cheap quality of the paper as anything else, the producer is obviously not adept, or not particularly interested in permanence.

You can not help but notice there is an odd resonance down at the bottom of the page. There is a blank spot, an area where nothing appears to be written.

There is a very specific, very subtle resonance there. It's dormant now, but exposure to a certain kind of energy would trigger the effect. Whatever the effect is it's quite weak, certainly not more powerful than a cantrip.

The energy is illusive, quite difficult to detect, even a trained mage could easily overlook it. A poorer quality copy of the screamer, or one made permanent later after production might have lose the energy entirely; as it is its almost gone.

The energy itself is.... you're not sure if you've experienced it before. It's something exotic for sure (nothing prosaic like fire or force).
[/sblock]

He glares at Marco. "F-L-O-A-T-I-N-G Q-U-I-L-L."
Marco seems to snap out of his distraction. He eyes the case, smiles, and says "The Phoenix Catchment? For you? A mere five hundred gold pieces."

[sblock=Marco's handwriting]The handwriting that Marco is using is not remotely similar to the writing on the screamer.

Of course, he's a scribe, and a fairly adept one. Scribes are copiers by trade, with a bit of time and a good sample he could almost certainly produce script in different styles.
[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
Palindrome chuckles, only half listening to the story. "'Roots' in the 'Undergrowth'."

Marco seems to snap out of his distraction. He eyes the case, smiles, and says "The Phoenix Catchment? For you? A mere five hundred gold pieces.

*KAFF*

Palindrome's eyes bug out.

"Did you ever receive that letter from my master that restores my use of his charge account at your store? He said that he sent it last week."

[sblock=OOC: To Party]We should bug out of this place, so that we can discuss a few things in private. Little ears.[/sblock]

"And just to be clear: I never said that I was certain that Drawing...Drow...Daft...whatever was the murderer. I stated that ANYONE connected with the Screamer MIGHT be a suspect. With the magnitude of your connection to the paper, perhaps you should leave town."

"Immediately."

"But not before telling us the name of that family that created fake Screamers. Such information could be cogent to our investigation."

[sblock=Bluff check]Get Marco to freak out and leave town, so that I can come back later and rob the store. (1d20+7=12)

SON OF A BISCUIT! ARGH![/sblock]

Last edited:

nerdytenor

First Post
Tander regards Palindrome with a slight smirk, amused at the small hole he has dug for himself. "Please excuse him", Tander says. "In his care for your safety and the preservation of your business, he has no doubt overstated somewhat the threat to you and yours. But, speaking of 'leaving immediately'", Tander adds, raising an eyebrow, "I believe that is what we must do. We have many leads to pursue. Marco, if you'll excuse us..."

Tander gives a quick bow and heads toward the door.

[sblock=Skill check]
Bluff to cover for palindrome = 19
[/sblock]

Graf

Explorer
Group moves back to Doddoddod's tower to discuss

The halfling seems mollified by Tander's adroit handling of the situation. That would be the noble family mentioned in the article. Something about a wedding, can't recall the details.

The group quickly adjourns to one of the pleasantly appointed rooms of Doddoddod's tower to discuss further.

[sblock=OOC]Feel free to take any last actions in the shop before you depart.

Getting the halfling to leave his shop and Daunton just by bluffing him, would be a truly difficult undertaking .

He'd be much more likely to complain to the guard.
Then try to bribe the guard to have D'Rawth arrested.
Or hire mercenaries.

Not that he's likely to do any of that. But it's vastly more likely than the vastly unlikely act of his actually leaving town.

The issue really is... where would he go? Daunton, even a Daunton where he's wanted by a maniac is safer than say... basically everywhere else.

Or rather, it's equally dangerous to a hunchbacked old halfling scribe with no immediate family.[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads