The Confederate Flag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Look, [MENTION=55961]goldomark[/MENTION], what I've never understood about the separatist movement is this: What do you expect to gain from a separate Quebec?
Governing ourselves. Nothing imposed. Freedom, in other words.

How do you figure that a separate Quebec will be better off than one within confederation?
Yes. If only because we are completely responsable for our destiny. You won't be blamed for anything anymore.

Maybe. :p

How will a cash strapped newly-independent Quebec stop the Americans from turning you into a giant theme park?
How has Canada? Thing is, Canada would resemble the US even more without Québec. You need us more than we need you. :p

As for cash, we send about 58 billions dollars a year to Ottawa in taxes and fees. We'd get it back and that would compensate for equalization. We'd also save money because we wouldn't need to pay for two ministry of health or two tax collection agencies, to name two examples. The fiscal exercise has been done, and the burget would balance. As for our debt, we'd use the Caisse de Dépôt et Placement du Québec, which as 150 billions in cash, to buy a lot of our share of the federal debt. Basically, we'd owe the money to ourselves and control the interest rates. It is a bit what Japan is doing. It has a national debt that is worth 180% of it is GDP, yet isn't in a Greek-like situation because the debt is owned by Japanese.

Janx

Hero
In the late '80s I worked for a small computer manufacturer, that imported components from Hong Kong. My position was quality control and technical writer. The majority of my co-workers and the company's principals were from Hong Kong, with a few having come from Taiwan. Even back then I had absolutely no need to call in my co-workers for translation, when dealing with suppliers in the Far East. Everyone I spoke to or exchanged mail/faxes (this was before the internet had really taken off) had an adequate command of English.

.... until there was a product failure. Then they suddenly couldn't speak or read English.

Granted, Hong Kong and India were occupied lands by the British, so that's a factor in why they spoke English so handily.

That would be that bad stuff that happened before those of us here mattered in the world.

But it is darn handy now for them. India was the first company we outsourced to when that was starting to be a big thing, precisely because they were already set, language wise. China and Korea came in later.

Janx

Hero
Governing ourselves. Nothing imposed. Freedom, in other words.

Yes. If only because we are completely responsable for our destiny. You won't be blamed for anything anymore.

Freedom huh? Pretty sure your new government will grow to create the same amount of laws as your current one does. And you'll have the same ratio of stupid laws as every other government has.

And you'll find somebody to blame for whatever problem you have under your new found freedom. Like blaming the indigenous english speakers for undermining Quebec's greatness. Or blaming Canada for interfering in whatever didn't go right for you.

I couldn't tell you if Quebec is better in Canada or out of it. I can tell you it won't be all fluffy bunnies and butterflies and your brave new nation is just as likely to do a bad job as a good one.

Ryujin

Legend
Yup, but they lied. The government lied too. If you can translate the text below the vid. http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/Politique/2010/09/23/006-flq-mort-laporte.shtml

Police tapped FLQ members talking to their lawyers. So much for attorney-client privilege.

When it comes to terrorists, acting like terrorists, I don't really care if it was legitimately accidental, "accidental" in that the person who did it was so angry that he was momentarily out of control, or if it was actually cold-blooded murder. They used his death as leverage, as terrorists are wont to do. The whole thing was premeditated from the word go, so Laporte's death becomes an action as part of the conspiracy.

One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist. To me they were murdering bastards.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You know there are differences between murder, manslaughter and involontary manslaughter.
I don't know Canadian law, but in the USA, a death occurring in conjunction with commission of a felony- even if it is accidental; even if it is a co-conspirator who dies- is felony murder.

So, with assault, kidnapping and unlawful imprisonment being felonies...

Ryujin

Legend
I don't know Canadian law, but in the USA, a death occurring in conjunction with commission of a felony- even if it is accidental; even if it is a co-conspirator who dies- is felony murder.

So, with assault, kidnapping and unlawful imprisonment being felonies...

In Canada we do not have a "felony murder" statute, though over the years I've become more a fan of the concept. There are some crimes that have increased penalties if a death is involved, like dangerous operation of a vehicle causing death or impaired operation of a vehicle causing death, but that's clearly not the same thing.

Kramodlog

Freedom huh? Pretty sure your new government will grow to create the same amount of laws as your current one does. And you'll have the same ratio of stupid laws as every other government has.
But it will be our stupid laws.

I couldn't tell you if Quebec is better in Canada or out of it. I can tell you it won't be all fluffy bunnies and butterflies.
I never said it would.

Kramodlog

When it comes to terrorists, acting like terrorists, I don't really care if it was legitimately accidental, "accidental" in that the person who did it was so angry that he was momentarily out of control, or if it was actually cold-blooded murder.
Some of us care about facts more than labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads