• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Continuing Adventures of the Knights of the Silver Quill: Glacier Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWARF

First Post
Re: kyla bashing

kyla said:
hey, what's with all the kyla bashing

Don'nah worry lass. There are those of us who appreciate a woman with strong devotion and a good head on 'er shoulders!

kyla said:
hey, what's with all the kyla bashing?! first everyone sees her getting killed and now she has gained forty pounds and is so desperate she has to hope that dartan will take pity on her?!

Sorry, just kidding... :D Especially after that grand finish of yours, nobody would dare to make a serious joke about Kyla.

But [seriously on] just what has Kyla been up to this past year [seriously off] ???

Vek has become a lich.
Katya and Rafflorn have been busy as well ;) !
Jettok has been forging himself an axe +12.
Dartan has been looking for Hedreack.

But Kyla...what's she been doing ??? Was she allowed to keep the Glaring Sun ???

Last edited:

Ziona

First Post

kyla said:
hey, what's with all the kyla bashing?! first everyone sees her getting killed and now she has gained forty pounds and is so desperate she has to hope that dartan will take pity on her?!

That's not bashing, that's teasing! :p
Like when someone said Kat was only interested in Raf because he got the castle. They'll learn soon enough what Kyla was up to when Doc does more updates. So, quit being such a sissy, sis! ;)

Jettok

First Post
Jettok has been forging himself an axe +12.

I got my axe. Skullsplitter my not be the most powerful weapon around but its personal. I wouldn't give it up for my life! As for what I'm doing with all this time its much more important than making a quality weapon. Lets just say the Temple of all consumption has been renamed properly! The Mines of Jettok!!!

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Session 36
Freeday, 28th of Readying
THE WEDDING

Jettok Taklin arrived in Verbobonc. He'd traveled alone and found no enemies along the way. The whole of this portion of Greyhawk seemed to be enjoying a healthy shortage of monsters, brigands, cutthroats, and other perils to the unwary wayfarer. He walked through the village, filled with smiling faces and dutiful citizens. No one seemed to recognize him. This was fine with him- a year ago, at the enormous banquet held in their honor, the Knights weren't given a moment's peace. Everyone wanted to shake their hands or talk to them.

Jettok found his way through the streets to Rafflorn's castle. It was now known as Spellforge Keep. Lord Rafflorn Spellforge. It sounded odd. The dwarf stopped as he saw the castle.

The base of Spellforge Keep was shrouded in pale mist. It emanated from the castle, slowly spreading. slowly curling. The effect was ominous. Jettok stood there for a while, just looking.

The door to the castle opened. There in the doorway stood Sir Vek Mormont, clad in the coal-black demon armor he'd taken from Dartan's father. "Were you planning on staying out there all night?" the priest of Wee Jas asked in a curdled, raspy voice. "We could arrange to have a pillow brought to you."

Jettok strode up to the door, happy to see his old traveling companion. "Vek, how are you?" he yelled. "It's been so long!" They shook hands. The dwarf wrinkled his nose. "What's that smell?"

"Nothing. The moat gets a little stagnant in warm weather. Come in."

Jettok stepped into the castle. The entire place was now fully furnished and decorated- fit for nobility. "Jettok!" Rafflorn shouted as he peered into the room. "Kat, Jettok's here!" Katya and Rafflorn ran into the room and hugged their friend. Rafflorn was now a year older and broader in the chest. He had grown into his face, and his handsome features shown through. Katya was dressed in a gown. Her auburn hair cascaded over her shoulders and she looked- well- elegant. In the old adventuring days, she was known to dress in rather skimpy leather outfits. Her hair and demeanor seemed to dare people to challenge her. Now, her pretty face was flushed with a happy glow and she looked every inch a lady.

After the greetings had died down, Rafflorn took Jettok on a tour of the castle. Some of the highlights included Imix's flaming sword which was set onto a wall in the dining hall. A decanter of endless water hung over it, pouring a stream of chill water onto the sword's incredibly hot surface. The resulting steam was captured in a series of ingenious pipes and tunneled throughout the castle walls. The steam was then released into the moat, creating white bubbles that churned the water and filled the surrounding land with a mist-like haze. "Keeps the castle perfectly warm, all year round," Rafflorn said. "The fireplaces are only ornamental."

Upstairs, there was the master bedroom, several smaller guest bedrooms, and a room that had been converted into a nursery. "Just planning ahead," Rafflorn said proudly. In this room stood a metallic construct, wearing an apron. "This is a shield golem I've put together. It's not done yet, but when it is, it'll be called 'Nanny'. We're hoping it can effectively care for children if we should be called away. It will also defend our kids with everything it's got... and that's saying something." He knocked on Nanny's head, producing a dull gong noise. He then asked "So, where is it that Serene found you? What are you up to these days?"

The dwarf's eyes crinkled at the edges as he smiled. "Well, as you know, I went back to the Crater Ridge Mines. That place was originally a dwarven settlement. I merely filled it with dwarves again. We went in and are still cleaning out the foul Tharizdun junk, but we've made a good life for ourselves there. There is still mining to be done. What about you three? What have you four been..."

Three very loud bangs announced that someone was at the door downstairs.

Katya said "Ooh, that might be Dartan!"

Rafflorn began to walk towards the stairs as he answered Jettok's question. "We've been mostly preparing for the wedding. Lots of plans to be made. Kyla bought a house. Vek keeps to himself, mostly, spending hours doing Pelor knows what in the basement. Sometimes..."

Five deafening bangs announced that someone was growing very impatient at the door downstairs.

Rafflorn laughed. "That's DEFINITELY Dartan!" They went downstairs to open the door.

Kyla peeked out of a room as they passed and exclaimed "Who in the world is doing that to the poor door? ...Hi Jettok!" She followed them downstairs.

They opened the door to see Dartan and another man standing on the steps. Dartan's face was as grumpily stoic as ever. "What took you so long? Next, I was going to break the door down."

The Knights were finally reunited after a year of separation. They shook hands all around, chatted about big events in their lives. Kyla's eyes caught the eyes of the man standing behind Dartan. He was a tall, scruffle-faced man with quiet features. She looked away from him and asked politely "Dartan, aren't you going to introduce us?"

"Oh, yes. This is Rowan. He's your wedding present."

Rowan cleared his throat and said "Uh, what he means by this is that I have been paid in advance for one full year to stand as guard at your door. I will defend your lives with my very own."

Katya said "Aw, Dartan, how sweet!" She gave him a peck on the cheek. He blushed uncomfortably. "So what have you been doing?"

Dartan cleared his throat. "For the last year I've been traveling all over Greyhawk, looking for clues that will lead me to Gorgoldand."

"That's the wizard that assembled your original adventuring group, right?" Rafflorn asked.

"That's correct. When we discovered Poddleton burning, we turned back and thought we'd catch up with him later... but when I returned to Poddleton with my father after we defeated the Eye of Heironeous, Gorgoldand was nowhere to be found. His bookshop had been burned down and no one had seen where he'd gone. I doubt the Eye of Heironeous could have killed him, so he has to be out there somewhere."

"Dartan, I'm sure your wizard friend was very powerful, but a group of crazy paladins and clerics could overrun an elderly mage."

Dartan smiled. "Yes, but not a dragon." The others blinked. "Gorgoldand was a mature gold dragon. He walked among us in human form. The entire Poddleton sect of the Eye of Heironeous could have been wiped out with one fiery blast... so what happened? This is what I've been trying to find out. It drives me- burns my mind like a brand. I have to find him."

Jettok said "Well, it certainly sounds like more fun than what I've been doing. I've been only sitting in the Mines, organizing, directing, helping... it's a sedentary life. It's fine for the other dwarves, but truth be told, I miss the thrill of not knowing what creature lies around the next corner, waiting to have its skull split by my axe."

The others all seemed to stew in silent agreement.

"I, uh..." Rafflorn stammered. "I know I wasn't an adventurer for long, and I know I live a posh life now, what with this castle... but I honestly do long for the times when we'd be out in the world righting wrongs."

Katya murmured "Yeah", Vek only stood there.

Kyla broke the tension by announcing to Katya that she was going to go and talk to their father. The two walked aside, out of earshot of the others. Katya said "Please, please just ask him to try to remember that Raff is a good man, and that I'm his daughter. He's being silly."

"I'll give it one more try, Kat, but you know Dad... and you know that the card Raff drew unleashed some very powerful magic."

Katya looked very sad. "Please, just try. One last time."

"I will. Wish me luck." Kyla left.

Katya turned back to the group just in time to hear Dartan ask "What is that smell?"

"The moat," Rafflorn and Katya said together, perhaps too quickly. Vek stood there grinning beneath his helmet.

Back at Ohanna Steelworks, Simon Ohanna was trying very hard to ignore current events. His daughter was marrying an ill-bred and deceitful piece of swamp muck that had somehow slithered into all their lives. Simon himself had lacked the sense to see it until one day when it had just clicked into place. Now, he was on to the little monster. He hammered at a sword on an anvil. The sword really didn't need any more hammering, but he smashed it again and again.

Kyla entered the room. "Hi, Dad..."

"If she's sent you to try once again to 'talk some sense into me', forget it. As far as I'm concerned, you're both crazy. You'll see what a snake he is when he double-crosses you all and runs."

"Daddy, please. She..."

"Save it. I'm not going to the wedding." The tone of his voice told her that the cause was now officially lost. She let out a sad breath, turned and walked back to the castle.

Despite the last failed attempt to convince Simon to attend the wedding, spirits were high in Spellforge Keep that night. The Knights (and Rowan) sat in Rafflorn's dining hall, enjoying dinner and each other's company. There was roasted pheasant, almond pudding, trenchers of steaming beef stew, and mugs of magically chilled ale. Jettok, especially, was enjoying himself. He drank, cracked jokes, drank, sang brief bawdy poems, and drank a little more. "You gonna eat that?" he asked Vek.

"No, help yourself." Vek sat there in all his black armor. He hadn't even removed his helmet to sit at the table. No one really noticed that by the time dinner was over, Jettok had eaten Vek's entire meal.

Kyla and Rowan were especially oblivious, as they were embroiled in their own conversation at one end of the table. They were discussing any and every topic they could think of: books, faith, combat, adventuring. Katya saw their eyes twinkling, and she smiled to herself with hope. Maybe, just maybe, the chaste old girl had found a man worth investing her interest in.

Just before midnight, Katya announced that she and Rafflorn were going should retire to separate quarters. In a few minutes, after all, it would their wedding day... and they should observe tradition.

They began to retire to their respective beds. Kyla, Katya, and Rafflorn went off to sleep, but Dartan, Jettok, and Vek stayed up for hours more, reliving old memories.

More to come...

Last edited:

Aris

First Post
I'm happy to see the KotSQ together and I can now see who was the one who now hates R.

Very Great Stuff:)

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Starday, 1st of Coldeven

The spring weather was glorious. The warm breeze whipped along the hills and danced with the grass and flowers. Outside Spellforge Keep, a large crowd was gathering beneath tall white tents. Vek, Jettok, and Dartan walked among the well-dressed guests and nobles of Verbobonc. The three Knights were all clad in their armor- a sharp contrast to the flowing gowns and silk finery. Dartan had, although, taken the time to polish his armor to a high sheen. It looked almost as bright as it did when he was a paladin.

Rafflorn stood in a deep marine doublet. He was draped in a proper nobleman's clothes, but if one looked closely, truer clues to Raff's personality and past could be seen. He wore clockwork cogs as cufflinks. He kept his wand of lightning tucked up beneath his belt. He shifted from side to side, nervously.

Kyla emerged from the castle. She was dressed in a bright white robe, and her hair was tied up prettily behind her head. An embroidered emblem of the sun god Pelor adorned her hairtie, and she wore her trademark sun symbol around her neck. She stood and called out to the crowd. "Good lords and ladies, friends and family. May I present to you my sister, the lady Katya Ohanna." She walked forward with short, measured steps. A band of hired bards began to play a wedding procession song with their lutes and pipes.

Katya stepped from the castle. She led a large group of other women- childhood friends, mostly- and walked towards the tent. She looked stunning. Her eyes ran over the crowd, looking for her father. She did not see him.

When they arrived beneath the tent, everyone was seated. Rafflorn and Katya joined hands. Kyla spoke. "Friends, today I see my sister wed. It is a true joy to know that she found love and light in our darkest hour, when we as a group adventured together. Rafflorn is a good man. I know their union will bless them both for as long as they live.We shall now hear their vows."

"I, Rafflorn, by the life that courses within my blood and the lore that resides within my heart take you, Katya, to be my hand, my heart, my spirit; to be my chosen one. To desire you and be desired by you; to posess you and be posessed by you."

"I, Katya, promise to love you wholly, without restraint, in sickness and in health, in plenty and in poverty, in life and beyond where we will meet, remember, and love again. I will not seek to change you in any way. I shall respect you, your beliefs, your people and your ways as I respect myself."

Kyla said "Do any here profess to know a reason as to why these two should not be wed?" Katya braced herself for her father's voice. She was certain she'd hear it... but she did not. "Katya, do you take Rafflorn to be your wedded husband, forever and always, under the shining light of Pelor's gaze?"

"I do."

"Rafflorn, do you take Katya to be your wedded wife, forever and always, in the glaring truth of Pelor's sight?"

"I do."

They placed rings on each other's fingers. Kyla folded a strip of white silk around their joined hands. She said "Pelor has seen this couple, and deems them true and pure. In his light, in his love, and by his will I hereby pronounce them man and wife."

They turned to face the crowd. A flock of doves were released into the air. The crowd cheered and clapped. Katya thought she might start crying for joy, but she looked over at Rafflorn and saw that he was grinning happily. The sight of it quelled the tears in her and she smiled too. Smiling together, they walked down the aisle.*

Vek and Dartan caught Jettok dabbing at his eye. He glared at them fiercely and growled.

The wedding was over, and the reception would now begin.

From two hundred feet away, in the treeline, the withered old crone watched the procession. She turned her palsied hands over one another and muttered to herself. "Such a nice pair. So happy." She felt almost sad, knowing fully well what would come before the day was out.

More to come...

*This actually happened in the real-life wedding of Josh and Melissa, who play Rafflorn and Katya respectively. Their own vows are used here in the story as well. Of course, Pelor really didn't have anything to do with it...

Oh, oh,

this setting reminds me of a Gwynedd novel I once read... Hope nothing bad happens to the two newly-weds.

But then again they are NOT newly-weds... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads