The Continuing Adventures of the Knights of the Silver Quill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wee Jas

First Post
You called Kat? .. OH you didn't mean me? Well.. keep it up.. I like your attitude!

How many character deaths tonight? :)

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Session 32
Earthday, 27th of Suns'ebb
THE JAWS OF FATE

"No," Vek said. The others turned to look at him. "I have something to do, before we open that door." He turned and walked downstairs.

Jettok sneered. "Odd one, ain't he?" They followed Vek down, not wanting to split up.

As Vek walked, his mind turned. He'd just watched a very powerful boon bestowed upon one of his own. Death and magic were the focus of Vek's religion, and both were to be respected with humility and reverence. Jettok's drawing from the Deck of Many Things had resulted in a gracious use of the power of magic. Katya's mind was saved by Jettok's wish- a wish culled from the Deck. As she recovered, a decision was made in Vek's mind.

The Deck of Many Things was a very powerful marriage of two forces- death and magic. Might not he, one of Wee Jas' chosen champions, be smiled upon? If he was fortunate, he could gain something, anything- that might keep the group alive through one more obstacle. He now deemed it a worthy risk.

"Sir Vek Mormont," the skeleton whispered through its dusty jaw. "I knew you'd be back. You required only to be shown the power."

"Give me two cards," Vek said as he approached.

"Cut the Deck." He did.

He drew his first card.

The Fates

The skeleton looked up at him. "You may avoid any situation you choose... once. You can use this to stop something from happening or reverse a past occurrence. The reversal is only for you. Your friends may have to endure whatever it is you're escaping."

"They may have to endure it? What decides if they do or don't?"

"You do. Clever useage can result in great things. Foolish useage can perhaps change nothing. Draw your next card."

Comet

The skeleton laughed. "Well, you and Menerous seem to be in a competition. You travel in one party, yet only one of you can have a hope of defeating the next creature or creatures you run across, yes? Oh, I love it when two positives cancel each other out."

"What if we split up and went separate ways?" Vek asked.

The skeleton reeled with joy. "Oh, I'd love that. Split the party up, yes... very nice."

Vek sighed. "So- If I win a battle with the next creature I combat, I gain great power?"

"Yes."

"Good." With one smooth motion, Vek drew Talon from its scabbard and swung it down through the skeleton's head. The skull exploded into dust, and the robe collapsed to the floor, filled with swirling fragments of decrepit bone. The group stood watching, not sure if they should be horrified or gladdened. Vek slid his sword back into its place on his belt, and looked at his hands. "I don't feel any different."

That, Vek Mormont, is because you did not defeat me as a hostile opponent, the skeleton's voice hissed in his head. It laughed. You merely cut down a card dealer. Now, accept Tharizdun's embrace, and know in your heart that you are unworthy of his gifts.

The candles blew out behind the altar. The hallway darkened and a thin, keening wind howled, though there were no windows. Shadowlike hands stole along the ground and clutched at Vek. He shut his eyes and yelled in agony as the shadows attempted to take away a small piece of him. The wind howled and his black hair whipped about his head. "I... am a champion... of Wee Jas," he growled. "...and I... will NOT... be CURSED!" The shadow flew from him as he triumphed by force of will.

He stood, trembling. He picked up an ivory box laid at the floor behind the table and scooped the cards into them. He sealed the box and slid the artifact into his belongings.

"I'm sorry for the delay," he said to the others breathlessly. "We can go onward now."

More to come...

Grim

First Post
I wanna be a champion now! thats just cool! Veks my new favorite character! Just because he's so EVIL... sort of...

Technically, because of the "one step" rule, you can have a palidin of Wee Jas, because even thought the palidin is lawful good, Wee Jas is Neutral Good, only one "step" away on the good/evil spectrum... just making a note...

but Vek is only a cleric... its ok though... hes still COOL!

DWARF

First Post
Grim said:
Technically, because of the "one step" rule, you can have a palidin of Wee Jas, because even thought the palidin is lawful good, Wee Jas is Neutral Good, only one "step" away on the good/evil spectrum... just making a note...

Isn't Wee Jas Lawful Neutral?

So, you like songs, eh ???

Let me make a small contribution of my own... :D (based on Easy by Faith No More)

Hedrack stopped laughing. For the first time in years he had been happy. At this very moment, he felt really easy, but also very evil. A song, he could not remember where he had first heard it, popped into his mind. He changed the first part of the lyrics to the scene that had just passed. Hedrack started singing:

Know it sounds funny but I it’s just so grand, my plan
Boy, I’m leaving you to your dad
Having the paladin by his father slain
I see you face down in a blood pool

Yeah, huh

‘Cause I’m evil, oh, oh, oh, oh,
I’m evil like Dr. Midnight, yeah
I’m evil like Dr. Midnight

I want to free Tha-rizdun,
I want to send everybody good into their doom
I want him to be free, just free,
Uh, baby,

Ughh

//lute solo :D

I’m evil like Dr. Midnight, yeah
I’m evil like Dr. Midnight

-----------------------------------------------

Enjoy

Roland

First Post
??

Put the hat of RulesLawyer....
But, before...Hey, Doc you're great! But..

Doc, have you been fair with Vek (my new hero, excuse me Dartan)?
Dmg says expressely the next hostile creature/s encountered.
In the log the skeleton (you, Doc) told him the next creature, (not hostile, only the next creature) so Vek's actions were good-minded. You say "that"... he did "that".
After that the "voice" hissed him the next hostile creature. hummmmmm... not fair?
Now give him another level! :mad: . Please? :D
Oh, well.. he lost the fates possibility, but he gains a new shiny deck.
Go, Vek!! Go Silver Quill! Kill Hedrack!! Oh.. and more!!
PS: Ziona, you mean 3 deaths ?:rolleyes:

Wee Jas

First Post
Thanks for the votes of encouragement guys! Wee Jas is Lawful Neutral just like her most humble servant, Vek Mormont. That means yes you could be a LG follower or a LE follower. I'm not evil.. I was just tired of that skeleton flapping his jaws at the party... its not like he was a common baker or something :D

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Re: ??

Hey, cool, Neverwinter Knight. I don't think that song is originally by Faith No More, though, is it?
---
Well, if we must get technical, the skeleton wasn't the next creature they encountered, either.

Roland said:
PS: Ziona, you mean 3 deaths ?:rolleyes:

No, she means:
death!
DEATH!
DEATH!

As in "Dear god, look at the carnage laying around! Bodies strewn everywhere... Oh, no, not me too... I'm too young to -
" *spluck, *thud*

That's right.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads