The Creation Schema:THE FINAL BATTLE FOR POSSESSION OF THE SCHEMA

THE CREATION SCHEMA
SEGMENT 289
10/29/06
“Worshippers of the Dungeon”

In various long hisses, rasps and growls a lizardfolk speaks to the group from across the rope. Other lizardfolk appear. None show any aggression but remain wary of the group. Pelor clears his throat and attempts a reply in draconic.

“We are lost travelers from Xen’drik. We mean no harm and could use some assistance.”

Cedious whom knows some Draconic smirks. He hates using the language. It hurts his throat.

In common, a lizardfolk wearing a cloak and a pendant speaks. “In peace you come then in peace we will remain. Welcome. How may I help you? We are of …limited means but we will aid in any way we can.”

“Where are we?” asks Talon.

“The Thunder Sea.”

“Can you be more specific?” Follows up Xen whom still holds his bow to his side.

“I are uncertain what you ask?”

“When will the next boat be by?” asks Cedious.

“You are the first we have seen since finding this place.”

Pebbles looks at the pendant closer. It resembles the sun with a face on it. “What god do you follow?”

“A god of great wisdom and joy. If it is a ship you search for there is one here.”

“Where!?!” exclaims Cedious with sudden energy that alarms several of the lizardfolk. Ten of the humanoids now stand across from them on the roofs of the smaller towers.

“Calm yourself. We do not mean to intrude.” Says Pelor trying to avoid any tension from developing.

“The ship is yours if you wish for it. It came to us several years ago but we have no need nor use for it.”
Pelor senses a small bit of happiness in the leader’s voice. He is happy to be of some help after all.

The looks and sees nothing. Cedious levitates up and from here sees it- just by the submerged wall. “It’s sunken and in ruins.” He replies in obvious disappointment.

“It may still be of use however. Thankyou….” Pelor tries for a name. None is given.

“With my mending spells I may be able to fix any smaller boat on board or at least product to build a raft.”

“It lies on the bottom. Could you aid us to retrieve it?” asks Talon who really doesn’t want to swim any more than he needs to. Wall, whom was pouring water out of pieces of his armor stops. It appears he may be swimming again. He plants his foot back into his boot making a squishy sound as he does it.

“If you will cover us we can help you.”

“Cover you?” asks the diplomatic healer.

“The Sea Devils have recently discovered this place of our worship. They want it for themselves,” Says the leader while looking out over the waters. The annoying seagull returns and walks nervously back and forth on the edge of the rooftop the adventurers stand on.

Zen reaches for an arrow but Pelor motions for him to stop. “Let us get this over with.”

Several minutes later, Cedious and Talon swim out to the wreck with six lizardfolk. Zen and Wall watch from the nearest rooftop. Pebbles watches them from the original rooftop they stood on. Pelor and the leader of the lizardfolk begin to speak in draconic again.

“You have suggested this place holds a spiritual meaning for you. Is this why you are here?”

“Yes, as a hatchling, I had a vision. That vision has lead myself and these monks here.”

“Visions of that sort are powerful. Very powerful. I am pleased you found it. Did your fellow monks have the same vision?”

“No. But they respect the vision. They respect this place. It is quiet and gives purpose.”

“And what is that purpose?” asks Pelor.

“To watch over the Dungeon creation of Thundaar.”

Pelor raises an eyebrow. He has no idea where this is going but continues on. “And that is…?”

“I am sorry. You did not have the vision. You would have no idea of what is below you.”

They pause to see that the others have found large cargo doors. With ropes they bring one to the surface.

“During the age of the giants there were many great cities built on what you would call Xen’drik. Other things were built then also- Dungeons. The best builders were the minotaurs. They built impressive cities out of stone. They were a peaceful race but had the anger and rage of the elements. To give a means of a controlled release of these bestial urges, they created arenas. The most popular were the underground dungeons. Here one still needed to control the beast to use his strength and instincts. Others watched using magical means. The arena became a non-lethal spectator sport. Contests were held regularly. Many builders became famous for their work. Below us is the work of one of these famous builders.”

Pelor looks down to the water. Strange location for a dungeon he thinks.

“We came here to over see the dungeon and to assure none abuse this gift left behind for us.”

Pelor looks over at Cedious. He is not with the lizardfolk any more. He looks behind himself and spots Cedious. He is trying to pretend he just got here.

“We found some large doors we can repair and make into a raft. So ah….. what were we talking about?”

THE CREATION SCHEMA
SEGMENT 290
10/29/06
“Exploring the Area”

Cedious and most of the group begin to swim out to the nearest tower to explore. They have been warned to avoid the tallest tower. When asked why, they were given a mere suggestion that it was a bad idea to go there.

Not giving it any further thought, Cedious decided on the tower next to it. Of course.

Pelor castes several group spells. He will be able to remain in telepathic communication with each of them and know their general health. There a side effect of this spell that works well for them. He will be able to caste low-level spells, including healing, through this mental connection. Pelor feels very comfortable remaining behind with the Lizardfolk (and thus dry).

Playing a bit, Cedious swims under the water. Here he sees stairs and what was once possibly a garden or grass area. Now colorful small fish school near the base of the towers, especially the collapsed towers. He sees no signs of the Sea Devils in the clear water. Each reaches the tower and climb out to explore it.

They find it is empty. Even the levels that are below the water line are empty. The seals of the door below are holding and water tight. They look into the basement area and find water has seeped into this area. As they poke around Cedious spooks up several large flounders. Pelor educates him that these are normal and common fish despite their mutated look. Only Pelor thinks about the oddness of this room. These fish are here for a purpose. They had to be brought in and fed. Pelor figures that the lizardfolk are not saying everything. As he ponders this he can’t help but to look at the tallest tower and wonder what is within it.

The tower next to this one is unusual. It is only one floor tall and thus completely submerged. The spell of water breathing is cast onto them as a group through they’re shared magical connection. Cedious is first to swim down with the others coming next. They swim around most of the submerged building before finding the door. Cedious tries it and it will not open though he sees no locks.

Pelor notes a change of mood with the lizardfolk. They see suddenly alert. What could be happening? He mentally asks about how things are going there. Cedious curses and says just fine in his mind then waves over Talon. Mentally he thinks loudly “Open”.

The two of them pull on the door and slowly it shudders and air bursts out. They discover the room is sealed and the force of the water is keeping the door shut. Once more they tug and manage to pull the door open. Once the door is fully opened Cedious and Talon find themselves being pulled with the rush of water. They can not see very well except for Cedious and his magical lantern, which he pulls out once inside. The water is rising quickly and spilling into a passage within the floor. It is all very disorienting for them. The dwarves flow in next with far less grace than the elf that body surfs into the room. The air is forced out finally and things settle. “Is everyone okay? I detect the emotion of surprise.” Thinks Pelor to them.

“Just fine. This place will require more searching.” Thinks telepathically Cedious.

“Describe it to me.”

“Roughly 30-35 foot around. Empty except for a hole in the floor. The water that quickly filled this room also flooded the room below us.” Thinks Xen.

“Have you looked at these yet?” thinks Pebbles as she swims closer to the walls.

“What have you seen?” Asks Pelor.

“Textured murals on the walls. They seem to … yes. They depict minotaurs that are fighting… possibly constructs. They look like statues anyway. Other minotaurs are seated around them.”

“A gladiatorial arena?” wonders Talon whom has seen many of these on his home plane of Shavarath.

“What have they found?” asks the leader of the Lizardfolk.

“A room with minotaur murals.”

Many of the Lizardfolk monks nod quietly but with a new look of eagerness on their reptilian faces. Pelor tries to read them but finds it difficult since their face and eyes are so different from most humanoids.

“I found something.” Calms out Wall whom is trying to hold his breath until he can no longer. He panics briefly until he becomes used to the magical water breathing. The others swim over and look at the mural before them.

“Traps?!?” says Pelor out loud as he is told what the minotaurs are doing on the picture. He easily notes two lizardfolk smile and nod at the news.

“Is that the entrance to the dungeon you spoke of?” he asks the lizardfolk.

“Yes. I hope they are worthy.” Answers the leader.

“I’m bored- lets go down.” Says Cedious as he swims to the hole within the floor. He drifts down and allows the light of the magical lantern to show him the way. He sees more murals and six holes in the walls. Each hole is about ten inches wide and sits about six feet up from the floor. Even as the others drop down Cedious looks over the pictures and decides to do what they depict.

The murals depict minotaur warriors with one hand placed into the holes and the other raised high above their horned-heads holding various weapons and tools used for dungeoneering.

Pelor feels the pressure as Cedious’ wrist is grabbed and pinned by several blocks. He feels a prick of his finger by something sharp also. “OW! That better NOT be poison you horned bastards!” Suddenly Cedious disappears in a burst of bubbles.

“CEDIOUS!” calls out Pelor using his voice. The Lizardfolk hiss as they draw in their breaths.

THE CREATION SCHEMA
SEGMENT 291
10/29/06
“THE DUNGEON of CHAMPIONS PART 1: THE INVERTED HALLWAY”

“Cedious!”

“I’m here already. Any louder and I would bleed from my ears.”

“Where are you?”

“Not sure. Empty room except for a hole in the ceiling and the floor.”

Wall looks at the hole. He hopes he will not regret this as he reaches in. “!” and suddenly he appears next to Cedious holding his hand. “It stabbed me!”

“And me. I hope it was not ….”

“Not what?”

“Nothing.”

“!!!!! What if it was poisonous? Can you cure us of poison through this?” the dwarf calls out mentally to Pelor.

“I doubt it. Where is everyone?”

Pebbles and Xen appear next. Each is looking at their hand with some concern. Finally Talon arrives in a flash. “At least we are together.”

“And in my range still.” Adds Pelor.

The lizardfolk step closer to Pelor. “What are they doing now? Has anyone been killed? Are they worthy?”

Pelor ignores them and concentrates on the mental contact he has with the group. “Any thing on the walls?”

“No.”

“Only that small hole. Maybe 8 inches around.” Cedious levitates up to it. “The tube is smooth and turns away. I can’t see what is up there.”

“Looks like we go down.” Says Talon looking down the dark tunnel.

Cedious looks at the hole. It is 4ft wide and seems to go down forever. The light from his lantern doesn’t breach the darkness. “The walls are smooth… hard also. Magically treated I believe. It won’t be easy for everyone to go. Anyone have rope?”

Talon holds out 100ft of rope. The room becomes dark as Cedious levitates down into the hole. He is very thankful for the telepathy they now all share. He sinks further down. He has gone down 100ft now and still sees no way out. He taps the walls with his dagger and finds it treated magically. It will not so much as scratch. He switches to his adamantine rapier and wonders if this would work.

Suddenly the light goes out and he begins to plummet!

“Cedious!” calls out Pelor. Again the lizardfolk step forward. They are eating up every reaction Pelor has.

“What has happened?” asks a reptilian monk.

“The halfling is falling down a long shaft.”

In draconic several lizardfolk whisper the words- Inverted Hallway.

Suddenly the lantern’s magical light kicks on and Cedious recommends his Ring of Levitation to activate. He slows down then stops as he looks at the floor below him. It is moving gently.

With the shared mental link Cedious and Pelor picks up on the group’s concern.

“What is it Pebbles?”

“A blue ball of light has floated out of the hole on the ceiling and wall area. It seems to be merely floating around us.”

“You make it sound sentient.”

“If it isn’t then someone is controlling it that is.” Thinks Xen as he draws an arrow.

“Water. The shaft leads to a water filled room.” Answers Cedious whom is ignoring the plight of his teammates.

He spots a wooden raft and crawls along the damp ceiling to be over it. The water is within five feet of the ceiling of the room. He wonders briefly about the depth and conditions of the water.

Pebbles flies down carrying Wall. At roughly 150 feet down her flying ability cuts out and they plummet into the water. The fall is roughly 50ft. Sputtering and cursing, they swim to the raft and climb on. Pebbles goes back for Xen. Bored, Talon merely waits for everyone to clear then steps blindly from the dark room into the equally dark shaft. His heavy troll / dwarven cross-bred body whizzes down the shaft. His elbows burn as they touch the walls. Then suddenly he hits the water with a stunning force.

He climbs onto the raft and catches his breath.

“That anti-magic field was an unpleasant discovery.”

“Guys…. I just spoke to the lizardfolk. You can’t get out without completing the dungeon. This dungeon was built is test their greatest warriors and dungeon delvers.”

Cedious smiles in the darkness. The shadows on his face give an eerie appearance. It appears he is enjoying himself.

“Now what?” asks Talon as his fast healing kicks in to recover any damage he took from the fall.

“There is a hole in the ceiling at the far end of this room. Lets try that.”

THE CREATION SCHEMA
SEGMENT 292
10/29/06
“THE DUNGEON of CHAMPIONS PART 2: THE GREASED CRAWLING SPACE ROOM”

“I know that smell….” Thinks Cedious as he slowly levitates into the hole. “Grease and oil.”

“Cedious… what is it. You seemed concerned.” Thinks Pelor with his connection.

“The room is ….unusual. It is three feet high, maybe….. 60 feet wide and I don’t know how long it is. I can crawl along the ceiling but most of us will need to crawl through the crap.”

“What kind of crap?”

“Grease and oil. I suspect it is a part of a trap.”

“No! Really?!?” sarcastically answers Talon closing his eyes. This is not his day. His bulky 6+ foot tall frame makes it impossible for him to even kneel within the room. He will need to crawl through the grease.

“What can be gained by the use of grease?” Asks Pelor looking at the lizardfolk monks.

“Coupled with the lack of walking space- it makes us slow and vulnible.”

“Same with anything that comes after us.” Adds Pebbles. (rolled a negative for Dungeoneering)

“Grease can catch on fire also. Damn.” Thinks Wall.

“I can crawl along the ceiling. Pebbles- your Flight still up?”

“Yes, somehow the field stopped it only briefly. I have it back.”

“Did anyone keep the rope that was too short for the 200ft fall into the water?”

“Got it.” Says Talon with little enthusiasm. He can almost feel the burns already. With his troll lineage, he hates fires and burn damage.

“I have an idea. Allow me to tie the rope to me and each of you hold onto it. I’ll fly us through the grease.”

“Uh guys….” Says Wall as he reaches the edge of the greased room., “… we are not alone.”

A dozen skeletal dire rats treated with permanent spider climb scampers along the ceiling. They come to attack them but Pebbles turns them away and they hide in the dark corners.

“More trouble! Hurry up and let’s go! Shouts Cedious looking at the far end of the oddly shaped room. Three holes. Two about a foot in size and one in the middle that leads out that would allow them to exit the room. The two smaller holes begin to glow red and orange. “FIRE IN THE HOLE!”

Cedious grabs the towline as Pebbles flies for the exit. Her armor hits and sparks several times crossing. The hole goes up then across. The room ignites just as the last of the group crawls in.

“That is one sick bastard!” exclaims Cedious as he thinks about the magical dead rats, crawl space which would have made them fight from their stomach and even for a gnome or halfling, the grease would have made it very hard to keep one’s footing. Then the igniting of the grease.

Pelor turns and stares at the lizardfolk leader. “Help me help my friends.”

“If they are worthy they will do well.”

“How do you know this?”

“The builders were not savages. If they are worthy they will live.”

Pelor stares with anger at the leader. “Guys… be careful.”

THE CREATION SCHEMA
SEGMENT 293
10/29/06
“THE DUNGEON of CHAMPIONS PART 3: CROOKED SHAFT”

After a careful use of a Cleaning spell (some of the warriors were discovering how hard it was to hold a weapon with greasy hands) they move forward within this short 15 foot wide room. The ceiling is a mere ten foot high and only has about 20ft of floor. At the far end is another exit that goes down. There are no rails or rungs. It is another chute and like the entrance shaft, it has been magically treated to be very smooth and resistant to damage.

“What will they expect to find this time?” asks Pelor verbally to the lizardfolk monks and dungeon worshippers.

“The dungeons built by Thundaar were among the best built. They test the mind as much as the body. I have collected a few notes and hints about the dungeon from the ruins here. I am forbidden to tell you anything since you have the means to help them.”

“That is insane. What if they were to die?”

“Lose? Then they were not worthy.”

Pelor is greatly annoyed by this. He wishes he were there. He is uncertain how much longer they will remain within the range of his spells. Also, will the spells remain over the course of time? There are time limits to consider.

Meanwhile, hundreds of feet below the water surface, Cedious has begun the newest descent. Unknown to him, he has missed spotting an illusion-covered lever that turned off the traps within this section. He drops 75 feet then the shaft kicks off to the side at a 45-degree angle. His levitate ability still works but now he is forced to put his rapier away so as to “walk” the ceiling of the shaft with his free hand. The shaft remains only about five feet wide.

“This is creepy as me. I wonder if any minotaurs ever got stuck here?” He thinks to his teammates.

“So long as they died and remained dead that is fine with me.” Says Talon.

“It is strange that we have faced very little for creatures. Is that by design or have they died over the centuries?” asks Pebbles.

“The lizardfolk won’t talk.” Replies Pelor.

“Make them talk! You are the group’s talker. Talk!” exclaims Talon as he watches the light disappear in the shaft.

After dropping another 75 feet the shaft goes straight again. “This is insane. The shaft goes straight then angled then straight.”

“Clever in a fashion. It blocks line of sight, encourages rash people to jump and get banged up (said while looking at talon) and makes certain spells difficult to use.” Thinking quietly for a moment to herself Pebbles then adds- “Does your rapier work on these walls?”

Cedious stops and stabs at the walls with his rapier. “Hard to get any good motion here. Can’t get enough momentum to stab into the stonework.”

“This is giving me a headache.” Says Wall. “Give me a dragon over this. Even better- a giant.”

“Cedious- Here I come.” Says Wall.

“Huh?” begins the rogue halfling as suddenly the dwarven defender “switches” places with the rogue.

Wall plummets to through the last 20 feet of shaft then hits a wall as the shaft turns again. He now begins to tumble and suddenly many small fireballs begin to burst from the floor as his armored body hits them.

“By the Host! Wall!” Yells out loud Pelor. All of the lizardfolk take a step closer.

“What happened?” What trap defeated who?” Asks the leader with excitement.

Wall reaches the end of the angled shaft and hits the wall again then begins to fall straight down again. Burnt, pummeled and free falling he reaches into his mind quickly and expands his body. Sparks fly igniting the small amounts of grease that remain on his body then …he….stops.

Ouch.

“You stupid dwarf!” yells out Cedious down the shaft. Now I have to do it all over again!”

“Here Pelor- you there? I caught on fire. Could I get a little healing?” asks Wall in short cramped breaths.

Now aware of the traps on the one shaft section floor, Cedious and Pebbles travel down the shaft with riders. There remains one problem. Talon.

“I can’t carry him down without touching the floor. We will both be fireballed.”

“Leave that to me. What about fatso the fat headed dwarf? Is he stuck for real?” Says Talon gruffly.

Cedious wiggles past the makeshift plug and once more descends down the shaft.

“Good news- in about thirty feet the shaft ends. The bad news is it drops you into a HUGE room. Ahhh…. The floor is just visible now. You have some fifty feet to drop but you want- “

“Bombs away!” and Wall reduces as the others quickly latch onto Pebbles or try to push with their arms and legs against the walls of the shaft.

Wall falls through the space and discovers that Cedious was not done describing the dangers of the next room. Directly below the opening in the ceiling one drops about fifty feet and may continue on through another hole in the floor.

Meanwhile up above, Talon takes a deep breath and steps out blindly into the shaft. He falls then strikes the floor of the turning shaft and begins to tumble wildly.

With the knowledge that this heavy and large figure is falling their way the others begin to scramble. Pebbles holds onto a rope and one at a time, the others try to climb down the rope and swing away from the hole.

“Swirling Blades!” Screams out Wall as his darkvision clears from Cedious’ magical lanterns light. “Oh %$#@*!”

Pelor begins to switch in his mind targets for his powerful healing spells.

THE CREATION SCHEMA
SEGMENT 294
10/29/06
“Tyranid Hive”

Several months have gone by now since Kim Elderich came to Morlock Island. 100’s of thousands in Gold and many debts have been paid at this point. Finally, the experimental Khyber Crawler arrives and they launch it into the ground. On board are Elderich, Ore, Rush-Late-A lot and several other high level aids and hirelings.

They use this Earth Elemental driven Rail transport to phase through the earth and stone. It takes little time before they reach an open tunnel below. They stop the craft and set up a base of operations. Several of the mages mark their location and teleport out of the tunnels. On the surface they reappear only to hold hands with other powerful warriors and clerics and return to Elderich.

When they return, Ore is cleaning his hand from bits of shell and green goo that was once a Tyranid Gaunt. “Be careful. These creatures normally hunt in large groups.”

They begin to explore and find that most of the creatures have fled. The ones left behind are dysfunctional as if greatly confused.

Several days later they find the Throne room and there they find the perfectly preserved body of….

Lady Elaydren ir’ Vown d’ Cannith.

Somehow the fluids have preserved her but she has indeed died.

They take her body and teleport it to the Siberys Heir for further work. Then they return to the work on hand. They have located the body of the last known human to possess the last three missing pieces of the Creation Schema. The pieces are either here or she knows where and only requires being awakened or a contact dead spell to be used on her.

Far below the Siberys Heir within the snow covered trees of Morlock Isle sits a bugbear warrior. His blue eyes stare as if in deep thought at the craft above. If he is cold he doesn’t show it. His black, red and Bronze colored armor sparkles in the morning sunlight as the sun rises. He looks below and considers the consequences of the next several days. So many players and many have changed positions recently. But the Schema will be collected and assembled when he says so…. When the prophecy says so.

He turns and walks away into the deep shadows of the forest, turning his back on the sun and its light.

THE CREATION SCHEMA
SEGMENT 295
11/06/06
“THE DUNGEON of CHAMPIONS PART 4: MEAT SHREADDER”

“I think it is an illusion!” yells out Wall as he falls through the area where the thousands of blades are swirling and spinning within inches of his fall. Despite his thoughts, he refuses to reach out to test the theory. He hits the ground far below VERY hard.

Pelor winces at the sensation of the sudden stop. He wonders if he can tell what the pain and damage of thousands of blades and/or a fall would be. Cedious says he thought he heard something about an illusion.

Xen finishes climbing down the rope and steps onto the wooden section surrounding the hole and suddenly he finds himself falling as the floor gives away. He grabs the rope quickly by reflex. He screams at the sight of the blades below. Pebbles and the others slowly drift down, as the flight spell was not designed for this kind of weight.

Then they hear it- banging, clanking and yells of pain from above. Then about 30 or more feet over head, flashes of light filled with more screams of pain.

“GO! GO! GO! GO!” screams out Pebbles knowing that can only be Talon.

Within the minute Cedious floats down to the broken heap below. Pelor is frantically sending spells through their special connection to mend and heal them. As he floats through, he sticks his rapier into the spinning blades…. nothing. It is an illusion!

THE CREATION SCHEMA
SEGMENT 296
11/06/06
“THE DUNGEON of CHAMPIONS PART 5: INESCAPABLE LINE ATTACK TRAP”

“This is a bad room to be in.” says Cedious.

The others agree silently. Pelor asks why.

“The room is more of a hallway. It is five feet wide, ten feet high and about….. not sure. My light won’t reach the end. Over 120 feet anyway.”

“Magical line attacks…Rays.” Says Pebbles as she has sudden insight in Dungeoneering and traps.

“It’s up to you Cedious. Get us out of here.” Says Xen as he notches an arrow. “I’ll cover you.”

Cedious is wary of the bow. The room is narrow for launching an arrow.

Above the Lizardfolk are becoming anxious with Pelor. Changing tactics, he has begun to refuse to tell them anything hoping they will say something helpful. So far all that is happening is nervous tail twitching and annoyed hisses and exhales of breathe. And the annoying seagull has returned. “What ever happened to the blue ball of light?” asks Pelor in thought.

“It never followed us after that first room.” Says Pebbles as she watches Cedious move carefully one step at a time.

Cedious smiles as he spots a seam on the floor. A secret panel. “Found something.”

He carefully lifts the panel and finds a hand lever. After describing it he asks whether to pull it.

“What if that IS the trap?”

DM NOTES: I love it when every move and item is something to fear. That is when I know the dungeon is working.

He passes it and continues onward. He misses the next secret panel and activates a blast of electricity from behind. The bolt of Chain Lightning strikes Wall then the others except for Cedious who is too far away.

“I am running out of healing spells. Be careful.” Thinks Pelor.

Out loud so he doesn’t sense it Cedious mocks him by repeating the phrase.

Cedious reaches the end of the hall and can not find any level or device to open the door. He can see the seams that would suggest an opening. At this point the others have crept up to the trigger panel and call out to the rogue. “Nothing here. Maybe that end?”

“What about the lever?”

Talon snorts and pulls on the lever. A panel can be heard opening at the far end.

They turn and go there. They find another lever hidden. When pulled, it opens the door at the end Cedious first explored. He also finds another electrical bolt trap and they are all careful not to trigger it.

“So obvious but still deadly and tricky.” Thinks Cedious. “If not for the position we are in I think I may have liked the ol’ hornhead.

This new tunnel leads to a similar hallway below that leads out. They cautiously leave and enter the next trap-laden room of Thundaar’s Dungeon of Champions.

THE CREATION SCHEMA
SEGMENT 297
11/12/06
“THE DUNGEON of CHAMPIONS PART 6: SHARP GRAVITY”

The short tunnel leads to a slab of stone and wood with dozens of small 2 inch round holes within it. It is 5x5 and roughly a foot thick. The exit is above it and measures 5x5 also.

“What is that?” asks Pebbles as she looks at the crude build of the possibly dangerous item.

“A Holy Stone slab. For a cleric I thought you would see that.” Adds Talon to break the tension.

Pebbles tries not to smile but gives in.

“You first as always Cedious.” Says Xen with his arrow still notched.

“Curious” thinks Cedious.

“What is?” asks Pelor.

“This tunnel has rungs. First to do so.”

“Trap or something to make us wary of the tool?”

“I’ll check it out to be safe.” And Cedious levitates up and checks each wooden rung while not touching any the whole way up. The tunnel is 65 feet up. Cedious is not happy with what he sees above. The ceiling is spiked with long five-foot long spikes. The ceiling looks to be only 3 feet high to top it off. He thinks this to Pelor. Pelor’s spell is beginning to wear off which is bad. Very bad.

The third from top rung is trapped.

Cedious is uncertain how the trap works but the rung is designed to collapse down. Looking closer, the other rungs collapse up. Why?

Cedious goes up and reaches the ceiling. The walls look to be very far away. Or at least they are beyond the lights reach. Cedious climbs through the spikes and discovers these are part of a 15 x 15-foot stone and metal slab. The ceiling is fifteen feet high. There Cedious sees an exit that measures 5x5 again.

“The minotaurs must have been smaller or this dungeon really sucked for them.” Says Cedious thinking about a minotaur trying to climb through the spikes from a 5x5 space. Wall psionically switches places with Cedious to check it out.

Annoyed, Cedious levitates up again but brings a rope this time. He doesn’t trust the rungs even after looking at it for traps.

“Cedious! We have company!” calls out Wall from the top of the stab.

Cedious once more levitates up and makes a point to never touch the floor. Eight gargoyles charge. Four from each end.

Pebbles reaches the top and anchors the rope for the others. Xen and Talon begin to climb up now on the rope.

Wall and Cedious ready themselves for the attack, which never happens. The gargoyles stop about ten feet away from the slab. One steps out and stomps on the floor. Suddenly gravity goes haywire!

Cedious and Wall fall / tumble off the large 15x15 foot large spiked slab which crashes onto the ceiling. It blocks off the exit by doing this. Pebbles narrowly flies out of the way as Xen and Talon fall past her and become spiked into the 15x15-foot slab. Meanwhile, the slab below sprouts spikes as it falls and spikes them a second time!

And meanwhile, the gargoyles were ready for it and attack in the confusion.

Xen wiggles free and begins to fire his bow from within the “spiked cage”. Talon has a harder time getting free as his armor is catching on the spikes.

The telepathy ends.

“Oh crap…” thinks Cedious.

The gargoyles go into a berserker rage and attack. They are tougher than first thought but fall still. Then comes the next problem. How to leave this room?

Reset the gravity or move several tons of solid spiked stone. Luckily for them, they trip the floor trigger that matches the others and gravity resets itself. This time, everyone keeps their distance from the slabs.

Pelor’s statis spell is wearing off now also.

“Let’s hurry. We no longer have Pelor’s support and who knows how many more rooms and traps remain.

Cedious begins to levitate with a rope to tie off to carry everyone as Pebble’s spell of flight has worn off.

Remove ads