The current "Real Deal" on Castle Zagyg by G. Gygax

Mycanid

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I'm still a bit unclear as to what, exactly, is coming out. Thirteen mods? Could someone sum up what Zagyg materials will are currently planned?

I just KNEW good 'ole Whizbang would come wandering in here sooner or later. :) No dwarf can resist a good underground dungeon-delve.

Treebore

First Post
Whizbang,

Right now it is the two books/boxed sets/whatever for the Castle. Yggsburgh is the two current books plus however they decide to do the other parts.

Xyanthon

First Post
Cool. I've been wondering what was going on with the rest of the series. I figure the gang over at Troll Lords is pretty busy right now. It looks like things are ramping up for them pretty good and I say congrats!

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Treebore said:
From Steve of Troll Lord Games:

3) Why nothing was turned in from Rob.

Rob is a very busy man with a growing/start up company of his own. I suspect most of the material Rob did work on was that which he was most familiar with . . . ie his copyrighted Castle material. This stuff will not be seen in the TLG publication. You’ll have to see his own company for that.

Beyond that I don’t even speculate. Its irrelevant to all but the sewing bee.

I have no idea what this means. How can Rob have copyrighted Castle Zagyg material that won't appear in CZ? Can anyone explain why one of the supposed authors of the project has material that's part of the project that won't be released? It's very confusing.

T. Foster

First Post
Per my understanding:

In 1972 Gary Gygax designs Castle Greyhawk, and Rob Kuntz is one of the primary players therein (along with Ernie Gygax and Terry Kuntz). A year or so later, as a reward for being the first player to "beat" the Castle, Rob is promoted by Gary to co-DM of the campaign and the two of them redesign the Castle together and incorporate many of Rob's levels from his own El Raja Key castle into Greyhawk Castle. As play continues over the next several years and new levels are added to the Castle, some are designed by Gary, some by Rob.

Fast forward ahead 30 years, Gary and Rob sit down together to work on "Castle Zagyg" and decide what of the original material to incorporate into the release version -- some of Gary's levels, some of Rob's levels. Eventually there's a disagreement between them about the direction of the project and Rob drops out. He requests that Gary return to him the levels that he designed so that he can release them in the manner he prefers (such as the upcoming "Bottle City" release, or the rumored El Raja Key book). Gary obliges, and therefore those levels will no longer be appearing in "Castle Zagyg."

Erik Mona

Adventurer
I think I speak for a lot of us when I say that you could print this thing on the back of the Dead Sea Scrolls and we will still buy it. :)

--Erik

Turjan

Explorer
Erik Mona said:
I think I speak for a lot of us when I say that you could print this thing on the back of the Dead Sea Scrolls and we will still buy it. :)
That's right. I have always been interested in the Dead Sea Scrolls :p ;).

Erik Mona said:

--Erik

Of course we would, Erik; that is, unless something else competes for our dollar...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases