• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The D&D Experience (or, All Roads lead to Rome)

Krensky

First Post
Wikipedia says you're wrooooong....

Really, your quote is perfectly in line with what I said.

Just in case you're interested in making a rebuttal, I should warn you that I was a teaching assistant in a class on human perception for a semester."

And?

Also, if the "light reflecting off an object is between 580 - 620 nm," the object is probably the mirror of a laser or something, because most objects scatter across a wide variety of spectra.

And a spectrophotometer tells you what wavelength of light a sample reflects or emits. Once you have that measurement you know what color the object is. It's the same as the arrow illusion. A ruler tells you they're the same length despite what the eye and brain says.

Back to the point, though...

D&D 4e is objectively D&D. It says so on the cover.

Without a agreed upon definition for what the subjective 'D&D experience
contains or is, this whole debate is pointless because one person is arguing that it's rolling a d20, someone else is saying it's orcs and elves, and a third person is claiming it's Vancian magic and beholders.

Maybe they're all right or maybe their all wrong. Without an agreed upon working definition with objective, measurable qualities we're all wasting our time.

pawsplay

Hero
Really, your quote is perfectly in line with what I said.

You claimed it is based only on the wavelength. The quote says, no, it is based on the light energy and the perceiving eye.

I just thought it would save time to let you know that really simplistic statements based on thin knowledge would be swiftly demolished, so you would prepare your arguments appropriately.

And a spectrophotometer tells you what wavelength of light a sample reflects or emits. Once you have that measurement you know what color the object is.

Almost. A spectrophotometer tells you what wavelengths of light a sample reflects. Unless your sample is composed only of one substance, at one density, and relatively in the same position, you will get more than one wavelength, likely outside humanocentrically-defined "color" ramges. That's why it's called a spectrophotometer.

Human color vision involves perceiving multiple wavelengths as a single color. Think of how a television works, or a color printer. A spectrophotomer will not tell you what color something; it will identify bands of electromagnetic spectra, nothing more. Tell me how a spectrophotometer would detect the color brown.

pawsplay

Hero
Returning to this post.

Actually there is. 580 - 620 nanometers is orange. So when light's wavelength shortens from 621 nm to 620 nm, it turns from red to orange.

As I noted above, this is incorrect. For one thing, you've misidentified the problem. "Orange" covers a lot more than monochromatic orange. Second, this just shifts the definition problem from the human eye to the detecting device. What about something at 620.1 nm?

It's done all the time. Ask the USGS or other country's equivalents. Now, they all have differeing definitions regarding density, size, cover, tree height, etc, but the definitions are all clear.

Simply because the definition is clear does not mean the threshold clear. You have baldly ignored the problem here. No real measuring system for a real forest is going to yield absolute answers. Also, areas of forest obviously give way to areas of non-forest. Suppose you analyze a region between an area of forest and an area of non-forest, overlapping them. it is strange that the region will have a different classification, despite having the same trees.

Honestly? Developing a completely unique definition for a specific individual person is trivial.

Please explain your process, that we may finally have the answer to a question that has eluded philosophy since the beginning.

The reason I am returning to this is because the problem of identity is NOT a settled one, and the difference between a measured or identified thing and the ideal of that thing was an issue explored in depth by Plato. Even in the binary logic of a computer, seemingly binary events are epiphenomenal of a micro-proess that is not, that in fact is stubbornly analog.

The reason it is important is because introducing your fallacies to this argument is unhelpful. You are making it harder, rather than easier, for people to arrive at a consensus, or several of them, because your criteria for truth are unworkable.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Please explain your process, that we may finally have the answer to a question that has eluded philosophy since the beginning.

I can't speak for him, but if you look at the top of this page, I used 4 parameters to define myself that would probably ascertain my identity beyond 1 in 10 billion, and I didn't even get into cool stuff.

pawsplay

Hero
I can't speak for him, but if you look at the top of this page, I used 4 parameters to define myself that would probably ascertain my identity beyond 1 in 10 billion, and I didn't even get into cool stuff.

my fingerprint,

Fingerprints are accurate, but not definitional. They involve measurement, and in fact, the science of distinguishing one fingerprint from another is still advancing. If you mean in some absolute sense, then it is very easy to prove that you are not you, since your fingerprint is different after a long bath than before. Also, it implies I could make you not you by burning off your fingertips with acid.

my DNA sequence,

That won't successfully distinguish between you and your socks. It also means that your own red blood cells are not you.

my medical history and my degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon alone

History pertains to things in the past, in this case, a past you. Taking your medical history as an example, how much substance do you think you have in common with your six-year-old you? Don't you find it curious that the overwhelming amount of "you" that has ever been you is scattered all over the Earth and not in your physical person? Supposing for a moment that "you" is some sort of immortal soul residing inside of you. In that case, it is easy to demonstrate that your memories don't belong to "you" since they can be destroyed through damage to the brain. Descartes made a really good go of entangling this one; nonetheless his approach has been considered incomplete in that regard.

Defining "you" depends on aggregating a number of factors. It includes inclusion as well as exclusion. Consider this argument:

1. Birds can fly.
2. An ostritch cannot fly.
3. Therefore, an ostritch can fly OR an ostrich is not a bird.

So for instance, if I define D&D as a "among other things, a game that has orcs," then a campaign set in Krynn or mythic Greece immediately becomes not-D&D. On the other hand, if D&D is defined as "that which is legitimately branded with the D&D trademark," then D&D becomes whatever WotC say it is. Even if it looks suspiciously like Clue with a warhammer instead of a lead pipe.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Defining "you" depends on aggregating a number of factors. It includes inclusion as well as exclusion.

Taken as an aggregation, those factors will distingush me from your counterexamples...and the rest of humanity. My socks, for instance, are at least one degree of separation greater from Kevin Bacon than I am, have no fingerprints, and are not hypertensive.

I had hoped you understood that by parameters, I wasn't saying that each one individually made me unique because that would make me an idiot. Do you think I'm an idiot?

Consider this argument:
There's not a biologist out there that would say "birds can fly" is a defining feature of birds when trying to construct a syllogism about birds. They KNOW better; they know that is a false statement which could lead to a flawed conclusion- as you do here. They would probably mention something about the underlying anatomical features common to functioning and non-functioning and differently functioning wings (covering not just finches, but ostriches & penguins as well).

Last edited:

Mournblade94

Adventurer
There's not a biologist out there that would say "birds can fly" is a defining feature of birds when trying to construct a syllogism about birds. They KNOW better; they know that is a false statement which could lead to a flawed conclusion- as you do here. They would probably mention something about the underlying anatomical features common to functioning and non-functioning and differently functioning wings (covering not just finches, but ostriches & penguins as well).
Or perhaps Bats are birds.

Krensky

First Post
As I noted above, this is incorrect. For one thing, you've misidentified the problem. "Orange" covers a lot more than monochromatic orange. Second, this just shifts the definition problem from the human eye to the detecting device. What about something at 620.1 nm?

It's red. There is no definition issue. You don't see astronomers or astrophysicists or paint mixers arguing over what color something is once it's measured. That's a problem unique to philosophers.

Simply because the definition is clear does not mean the threshold clear. You have baldly ignored the problem here. No real measuring system for a real forest is going to yield absolute answers. Also, areas of forest obviously give way to areas of non-forest. Suppose you analyze a region between an area of forest and an area of non-forest, overlapping them. it is strange that the region will have a different classification, despite having the same trees.

Dude, it's done all the time. Go look at a USGS map. All those green blobs with forest markings are forest. All the bits that aren't, aren't. The USGS definition specifies density, canopy cover, root density, tree size, and distance between trees. It also includes bits about whether or not an area denuded or thinned is still a forest or not and if two areas separated by such an area are a single forest, or two forests.[/quote]

That's because philosphers get paid to argue over questions, not answer them.

My nickname on this board is Krensky, my real name is X. I was born on [Month] [Day], [Year] by the United States Civil Calender, at HH:MM Eastern Standard Civil Time to [Mother] and [Father]. I grew up in [town], and attended [Elementary, Junior High, High School, and College]. I truthfully identify myself as such, and I have official, legitimate documentation that demonstrates it.

That in itself identifies me uniquely. Unless you want to claim that there is another human being in the history of the species that shares those quantities.

Add in the elements of my DNA, my facial structure, my dental records, my distinguishing scars, my fingerprints, etc you get a pile of features that narrow me down to being 1 in several billion. Heck, from the ones I listed I'm fairly confident it's 1 in more then all the humans who ever lived.

The reason I am returning to this is because the problem of identity is NOT a settled one, and the difference between a measured or identified thing and the ideal of that thing was an issue explored in depth by Plato.

Because the people working on the problem have a vested interest in not solving it. Like consultants.

The reason it is important is because introducing your fallacies to this argument is unhelpful. You are making it harder, rather than easier, for people to arrive at a consensus, or several of them, because your criteria for truth are unworkable.

There is no consensus to be reached. You're (not you specifically) arguing over an inherently subjective topic while steadfastly refusing to develop an objective, working definition. In fact, I doubt you could even do that since not everyone involved is rational (not that anyone is crazy or inferior, that's not the meaning of rational being used here) and is operating using different criteria and with different priors. Truth in any sense other then not false is meaningless construct. My sole criteria for truth is the boolean one.

If one person wants to say all RPGs are D&D and another wants to say that only OD&D is D&D and I want to say that 4e (while objectively D&D) doesn't feel like D&D are any of us wrong? No. In fact we're all correct because we're all (assumedly) honestly relating the results of our purely subjective classification systems.

Raven Crowking

First Post
I am going to posit that it is possible to create a new game out of 4e that, to an outsider, might look an awful lot like 4e, but which, to someone who really understands and enjoys what 4e has to offer, might feel substantially different. Or even limiting. Possibly even so limiting that using this new system might be difficult (or very difficult) for some current 4e group’s playstyle.

I will further posit that it is possible to create such a game that actually models the way some people play 4e right now. And it might actually facilitate what they want out of the game. To them, it will seem like a true evolution from 4e.

To many people playing 4e now, I would posit that the change and level of change might seem obvious. I would also posit that, for those people to whom the new game seems like a true evolution, the change and level of change might not be so obvious. They might blame 4e players for having a narrow perspective, for not understanding other games, which the new game borrows ideas and mechanics from. They might even argue that there is no real change.

Finally, I am going to posit that this has already happened. More than once. Except the game being changed wasn’t 4e.

Yet.

RC

(Sorry about posting this thought in more than one thread.)

Remove ads