Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Not useful, but not annoying.

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Neutral.

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Poll closed .

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
I am curious about folks' opinions of the d2.

• Useful: You think that the d2 either does or could have some potential usefulness in a game system, whether it be to add granularity or for some other reason.
  • Unuseful: You feel that the d2 either doesn't or couldn't have any particular impact on a system.
  • Annoying: You feel that the d2 is somewhat annoying, either because of its geometric dimensions, or because it's annoying to roll.
  • Not Annoying: You think that the d2 is no more irritating than other dice to use (on par, perhaps, with the d4 or d12), or not annoying at all.
  • Neutral: You have no strong feelings about the d2, either because you've never really thought about it, or its presence (or lack thereof) doesn't bother you.
If you have additional comments or thoughts about the d2 beyond the poll, I'd love to hear those, as well!

Particle_Man

Explorer
The trouble is, if the d2 is used as damage in any system where there is both a way to "reroll 1s" and a way to "roll more dice and add them to the total, whenever you roll maximum" you get infinite damage cheese.

Also, it is too easy to use any other dice as "high-low" to simulate the d2. Also, it is hard to market a physical d2 when everyone has access to pennies that can do the job.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Prince Valiant is an excellent RPG that only uses d2s as a resolution mechanic.

Another game came out recently also (saw it at Gen Con two years ago) that uses a d2 resolution mechanic also.

Nadaka

First Post
There is no die cheaper than the d2. Each one can cost as little as a $0.01, even cheaper in some countries.

I have often considered making a game that uses d2 exclusively. It wouldn't matter what dice you have, because nearly all dice can substitute for the d2.

Zander

Explorer
There is no die cheaper than the d2. Each one can cost as little as a $0.01, even cheaper in some countries.
A coin is not a d2 though it can be used as one and there are d2s that are coin-like: http://groups.msn.com/DiceManiacsCl...andersdice.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=4653

Returning to the topic at hand, not only am I in favour of d2s, I'd like to see more dice used in D&D. The current range (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20 and d100) does not provide sufficient granularity. Odd-numbered dice should also be used, i.e. d5, d7, d9 and d11.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Odd-numbered dice should also be used, i.e. d5, d7, d9 and d11.

I own a d5 and a handful of d7s, but I think that that's fairly uncommon, even among gamers. Not only that, but their fairness is much more questionable.

The big problem with odd-numbered dice is that they're hard to find, and the "take the next higher die and reroll the highest" (ie, using a d8 for a d7, rerolling 8's) gets old rather quickly. Even if there were odd-numbered dice out there that were fair, it'd be the rare gamer who actually has them.

jaldaen

First Post
I think it'd be perfect for the next Star Wars RPG system... the d2 System... with the tagline:

"Do, or do not. There is no try."

Remove ads