• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The d20 Modern Buffy thread!

Jarval

Explorer
To be honest, the movie really bares no relation to the TV show, so I tend to ignore the movie.

BadMojo said:
I seem to recall that Giles implies, in Ep 1, that a Slayer should be able to somehow mystically sense vampires. Instead, Buffy makes some observations about the vampire's fashion sense. The whole thing seems to be another way to emphasize that Buffy does things her own way, instead of the "traditional" Slayer way.

Am I imagining this? Anyone remember that?

That's the scene I was referencing. Giles was trying to train her to use the Sense Vampire skill (with very little luck :)).

tetsujin28

First Post
Again, though, this is gone by ep. 4 or so. There's lots of stuff in the early eps that doesn't remain in the canon. I would include the new slayer popping up whenever Buffy dies in this category. Josh said repeatedly on the old Buffy boards that he wished he had never brought it up, and wasn't going to keep it up after Faith (cp Buffy's death in S5 not activating a new slayer).

Angelsboi

First Post
Tetsujin, you are wrong.

Buffy died in Season 1: Prophecy Girl.

Why?

They didn't know the show had gotten renewed. It was a 12 episode season filler. Buffy died. That was it. Slayers have been around before and will be around. Slayers in Training. All seasons reflected this (down to the primeval slayer and the cuurent seasons Slayers In Training dying).

Now, when they revived her (Angel couldn't vampires cant breathe according to season 1), She was dead for a few minutes, thus activating, Kendra, a by-the-book-Slayer. As Willow put it, a 'She-Giles'. Buffy even said earlier that she never saw a Slayers Handbook, yet we find out in Season 2 "Whats My Line Pt 1" there is, indeed, a Slayers Handbook ("Wouldn't it be cool if they had a shirt too?").

Now, Kendra died in Season 2 "Becoming Pt 1" which activated Faith. Buffy died in Season 5 BUT since she had already died in Season 1, she couldn't activate another Slayer. Why?

Faith is the TRUE technical current slayer. The council knows Faith is evil and Buffy has survived longer than any other slayer so therefore, the council backs her up, even though they despise it and her lack of training.

We havent seen Faith or Kendra use 'Demon sensing' so thats why i am a little questionable on it. Thats all. But if it works, go for it =)

*puts on his "Im-A-Slayer-Ask-Me-How" Button

Dark Psion

First Post
All this is nice, but what we really need is the Butt Monkey Advanced class. :D

Actually, I really don't know how to do Xander in D20 Modern stats.
What would his basic class be?
How do you handle his "Knowledge(Military)" from the halloween episode? It gave him Exotic Weaponry (Rocket Launcher), A synergy bonus to Bluff & Disguise in the Initiative and some tactical ability.
And as to an Advanced class, the only skill he has demostrated is that when a girl is interested in him, she's a demon!!

Angelsboi

First Post
knowledge tactics or maybe knowledge military. Spend 1 round and roll against a DC. If you make it, you get a +2 to hit or +2 to damage. But you cant do anything EXCEPT roll knowledge. No attacking.

Jarval

Explorer
Dark Psion said:
All this is nice, but what we really need is the Butt Monkey Advanced class. :D

Actually, I really don't know how to do Xander in D20 Modern stats.
What would his basic class be?

Easy. Tough Hero. He has a low to average Con (which explains why he keeps getting KOed), but quite a lot of hit points (as demonstrated by his continued survival). Hmm, in fact I think the key to Xander is low stats. He gains levels at about the same rate as everybody else, but just doesn't have any high stats.

tetsujin28

First Post
Angelsboi, I have to disagree with you. Josh has repeatedly said that he wished he'd never come up with Slayer-cell-division, and that it was never going to come up in the show, again. Faith still being alive was just a way for him to kill Buffy (again!) and not have anything happen before they brought her back. Of course, S6 was so bloody awful, that maybe they should have kept her that way (though s7 ain't too bad).

Scud-O

First Post
i have faith (no pun intended) that Season 6 will eventually be seen in a better light, since watching it felt EXACTLY like my first year out of college (minus the monsters, of course)...but, everyone has their own taste. I just thought seeing everyone grow up in a real sort of way was nice.

as for Xander...i would say Tough/Dedicated. i agree with the low stats, but he is loyal to the Slayer's cause to the point of death, if need be and has proven harder to kill than one would think.

now, anyone been watching ANGEL. i watched the last two episodes on tape last night, and good golly miss molly! someone work up Wes' curretn stats. Smart/Dedicated/Fast/Occultist, perhaps? Gunn as Tough/Strong/Bodyguard? thoughts. seeing Wes emptying two pistols into The Big Bad without flinching is one of the best moments on ANGEL so far. whoda' thunk Wes would end up so frickin' cool?

Bamphalas

First Post
Scud-O said:
seeing Wes emptying two pistols into The Big Bad without flinching is one of the best moments on ANGEL so far. whoda' thunk Wes would end up so frickin' cool?

AND a shotgun! I have been greatly impressed by Wes' character development. Always wondered why they consistently chase after demons with normal melee weapons when the modern world affords them such innovations as firearms. ;) I know my players will be using whatever they can afford to kill the beasties. :D

Remove ads