D&D 5E The Decrease in Desire for Magic in D&D

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Did they disengage from him, or did he get in an OA?

Because if they disengage, he served his purpose since they didn't get to attack, either.

If he got an OA against the first one (especially if he hit), then he did attack, so why did the others leave?

My point is there is an issue with running monsters due to metagame knowledge. For example, five guys were around him, he only gets one OA, so the other four know they can walk away without using the disengage action--that is kind of cheesy IMO.

And how do they know he is "impossible to hit"?

Don't get me wrong, targeting the "wizard-looking-PC-in-robes-waving-his-hands-around-and-chanting-mumbo-jumbo" is a great idea (few enemies like fireballs after all...), but depending on how this scene played out I could see he might (maybe, mind you) have a valid point. 🤷‍♂️
What happened was, he cast Shield of Faith and ran up to a Bugbear. The Bugbear attacked, missed him, and then the next turn he took the Dodge action "tanking", in his words, while the rest of the party downed other enemies.

Realizing this was basically all he planned to do for that encounter, I had the Bugbear provoke an attack so he could go after the Wizard after watching some of his allies get scorched.

YMMV on whether or not the Bugbear should have done this; I feel it was pretty reasonable- as I said, normally I don't think people would ignore someone waving a weapon in their face, but all this guy was doing was taking a defensive stance, blocking and parrying, and not really posing any kind of threat other than "if you walk away from me, I'll hit you with my hammer".

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
What happened was, he cast Shield of Faith and ran up to a Bugbear. The Bugbear attacked, missed him, and then the next turn he took the Dodge action "tanking", in his words, while the rest of the party downed other enemies.

Realizing this was basically all he planned to do for that encounter, I had the Bugbear provoke an attack so he could go after the Wizard after watching some of his allies get scorched.

YMMV on whether or not the Bugbear should have done this; I feel it was pretty reasonable- as I said, normally I don't think people would ignore someone waving a weapon in their face, but all this guy was doing was taking a defensive stance, blocking and parrying, and not really posing any kind of threat other than "if you walk away from me, I'll hit you with my hammer".

Totally valid. Tell your buddy to take the Sentinel feat next time.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I will admit that part of my experience with regards to the scarcity of magic items (or lack thereof) is personal, so I really can't say how often players get their hands on such- it depends on quite a few factors- even assuming a neutral DM, you're left with random tables in monster lairs, what monsters are chosen for your adventure, and whether or not you use (often treasure rich) published adventures.

I used to run a lot of published adventures for my groups, especially out of Dungeon magazine, and, as a result, my players were never hurting for gear.
Sure, everyone is different. In most published adventures, you would get a fair number of magical items, but most were lower powered until you got to the 10+ level adventures, and even then the bulk of items were medium powered instead of high powered.

I do have a one of my old character record sheet booklets laying around though, and I have a Wizard 7 with Bracers of Defense (AC 9), a Knife +2, a Brooch of Shielding (77 hp remaining), 2 Potions of Water Breathing, a Wand of Lightning, a Wand of Wonder, and a Wand of Fire, a Scroll of Lightning Bolt, a Scroll of Chain Lightning, and a Ring that gives me the benefits of the Shield spell constantly (all that remains of The Sentinel after the mutual destruction of it and The Gauntlet), and I would say this is a typical amount of treasure in my experience.
LOL Wow! For my groups, that is an incredible amount of magic items at level 7! Was this AD&D or 3E?

IME, the Bracers AC 9, Knife +2 (nice...), Brooch, potions, and then ONE wand and ONE scroll would be more likely, if that. The custom Ring of a constant Shield spell makes the Bracers redundant and is a very powerful item IMO. (AC 4/2 vs. missiles IIRC?).

No, that scenario sounds reasonable. I had something different in mind from your other post so thanks for the clarifcation!

Totally valid. Tell your buddy to take the Sentinel feat next time.
Totally. :D

Thomas Shey

Legend
So one perfectly valid opinion is that 5e requires a bunch of annoying rules to be challenging.

The flip side, however, is that if the game were “balanced” (whatever that means) around the absence of those rules, then people who like that stuff would have an equally valid complaint.

So it’s less “bad design” and more “design that doesn’t please everybody.”

Well, you can at least make an argument about which one has more knock-on effects in other areas than the other, too.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I need to preface this post, I realized. I'm not against people who like to play games a certain way. If you and your group have fun, that's great. However, when it comes to the complaints I hear, well....

What surprises me is how some people who prefer older versions of D&D act like people wanting less restrictions on casters is a new thing. I mean, looking in my 1e DMG, I see Rings of Wizardry that double spell slots of a given level, Boccob's Blessed Books that can contain a whole spell library that fits in your backpack, and powerful Wands and Staves that can only be used by Wizards.

By 2e, the Tome of Magic (1991), we have spells that conjure spell components and lower magic resistance of enemies.

And as far as resource management goes, well, Murlynd's Spoons, Quivers of Ehlonna, Daern's Instant Fortress, Rods of Splendor, Bags of Holding, Portable Holes, Heward's Handy Haversack, etc., etc., have been in the game for a very long time as well.
Indeed, but there's a few other considerations here:

--- those items you refer to are items rather than inherent abilities, meaning the DM can easily choose not to include them
--- because they are items, not everyone will have one - sure one archer might have a Quiver of Ehlonna* but not every archer will. Removal of arrow tracking has the same effect as giving a Q of E to everyone.
--- in 1e and 2e items were far easier to destroy, often making them a less-than-permanent solution

* - I'm assuming this is the quiver that never runs out of ammo, I don't think I've ever seen one in play as either DM or player.
Now I know, someone might say "well the DM decides if these things enter the game", but that's never really changed.
For items, this is true. For abilities, not so much; nor for spells now that players get to choose them rather than have to rely on random luck and-or finding them in the field.
It seems obvious to me that this "problem" (if you think it is one) has never really been one for D&D. You were always meant to be able to find ways to progress beyond worrying about starving in the wilderness, being picked apart by wolves, and finding a place to take a nap.
To be (potentially) able to, yes. To automatically have it happen, no. There's a big difference.
Characters were meant to have a means to become more magical, and grow beyond the limits of their class and race. This is part of what makes D&D, well, D&D!

What people are waxing nostalgic for isn't some lost ancient D&D, but the "low level experience".
OK, I'll plead guilty to that. High level play tends to get a bit too supers-y for me; with the threshold being both fuzzy and variable by class and-or campaign.
When I think of gaming along these lines, I'm reminded of old PC games like Ultima, Wizardry, Bard's Tale, or Might & Magic, which often had you worry about carrying around torches and food. But interestingly, most of those games also eventually let spellcasters create light, conjure food, or teleport out of dungeons, as even the creators of those games knew that as the game progressed, these things would become tedious to the player.
The issue isn't teleporting out of dungeons, but being able to safely teleport in to them. That's where it can get broken, as 3e's scry-buff-teleport nonsense pointed out to the n'th degree.

An in-progress example of how a single high-level character can go right over the top:

In the 1e-variant game I play in, my current character is an 11th-level MU with a hella good spell repertoire. Region's lighting is never better than deep twilight, visibility maybe half a mile at best even with night-sight. We're up against a fleet of about 15 ships*, 9 at sea and the rest either in or just leaving port. We have our own ship, but just the one. The rest of the party sank two ships and disabled one while fleeing on our ship. I cast poly-self and took off as a seagull, and singlehandedly sank one ship and disabled another four...all without casting a single AoE damage spell. I'm now ashore near their base port (about 10 miles from the action at sea), acting as a James-Bond-like agent behind enemy lines, and next session - unless I either get very unlucky or (far more likely!) do something stupid - given a few days that entire navy could be at my mercy.

Fun? Hell yeah! Broken? Very much so - one character acting alone is making a mockery of naval warfare.

* - mostly Mary-Rose/Spanish-Armada era galleons with some same-era corvettes sprinkled in, all packing between 2 and 6 cannons each. Our ship is a small 2-gunner, a galleon I think.
So it's not a surprise to me why D&D has continued this trend of phasing out these sorts of things, since they've been doing it since the early days of the game.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Sure, everyone is different. In most published adventures, you would get a fair number of magical items, but most were lower powered until you got to the 10+ level adventures, and even then the bulk of items were medium powered instead of high powered.

LOL Wow! For my groups, that is an incredible amount of magic items at level 7!
Until the character eats a fireball - or worse, a lightning bolt - and half that stuff goes up in smoke. Particularly the wands, if they spontaneously release any charges as they go up... :)

For a long-running character that's managed to avoid melting down, the listed magic seems about par for the course here. My only question is to do with Bracers AC 9 - I thought their range was AC 8 to AC 2, I've never heard of Bracers-9 before.
IME, the Bracers AC 9, Knife +2 (nice...), Brooch, potions, and then ONE wand and ONE scroll would be more likely, if that. The custom Ring of a constant Shield spell makes the Bracers redundant and is a very powerful item IMO. (AC 4/2 vs. missiles IIRC?).
My lot sold that Sentinel ring. I'm not sure they ever realized just how good it was.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
It is a new thing. Rings of Wizardry were incredibly rare
These two statements seem contradictory. It cannot be new if it was already baked in. Rarity doesn't matter for the same reason that "balancing" classes (races etc.) by making them really fragile early on but incredible powerhouses later doesn't matter: anyone who sticks with the game long enough will (a) get better at playing and thus mitigate those weaknesses, and (b) try enough times such that eventually they get lucky. Law of large numbers and all that.

Sure, but then you are using a spell to conjure components for other spells--a higher "magic tax" if you will.
That seems to be beside the point. Magic can solve magic's own problems. What can a Fighter do to fix having all her equipment taken away? Nothing--other than just enduring not having equipment until it comes back.

As is typically true, spellcasters are given both a weakness and a way of getting around that weakness. Which was the point: ways of getting around caster weaknesses have been baked into the game from essentially the beginning.

Sure, they have, but again are rare in most cases! The Girdle of Many Pouches was my favorite magic item for this very reason!
See above. Rarity is irrelevant if the argument is "the game includes things to mitigate these problems." Are they present, or not?

But, in AD&D, if you failed your save, your then made saves for all your equipment. Do you know what the save is for leather against a fireball? 13 or higher. So, if I failed my save against an opponent's fireball (assuming I lived, since with lower HP was in question...), I had a 60% chance my GoMP would be destroyed!
Why are you standing in fireball formation? This is, again, what I mean about being able to mitigate the weaknesses. Tactics alone can significantly protect you from this issue. (Also: talk about an incredible chore, rolling such saves! No wonder they didn't survive to WotC D&D.)

IME (anyway) you weren't meant to find ways around these problems, but you were always on the look out for them since they made the game easier for your character. A Bag of Holding was great to have, until you lost it (destroyed or stolen), at which time you lost everything in it.
I don't get how these two prongs are different. Doesn't a game "meaning" for you to do something only and exactly mean that that's what its rules incentivize you to do...?

I agree to a point, but in AD&D you either became more magical via magic items or spells, but only casters through spells, and then often temporary boosts until spells wore off (sure there were exceptions for really high level play).
What, then, does that tell us about the explicit and open antipathy for magic items from the MEGA vocal people back in the D&D Next playtest? Does this not explicitly mean that non-spellcasting characters were being told they weren't welcome in the cool kids' club anymore?

But in reviewing the two systems (and those spells) I've realized a big part of it is the automatic and "easy" nature of magic in 5E, as well as its prevalence in numerous non-caster classes.
The argument presented is that magic has always had some degree of making things "easy," that degree has simply grown over time. It isn't a difference of quality, just of quantity. As for "numerous non-caster classes," there are only four non-caster classes in 5e, much to my chagrin. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Rogue. Personally, I would have preferred if that list included Paladin and Ranger as well, because I like whatever supernatural power they access to work like that accessed by Barbarians and Monks: features, not spells. But that ship sailed a long time ago.

Magic has become more powerful in many ways as well. Yes, I believe some of this was for a desire to simplify some elements, but I really don't know why. It wasn't complicated IMO and was a factor towards balancing casters with other classes (along with requiring more XP and lower HP for magic-users).
"More powerful," or "less inhibited"? There's a difference. Greater power means accomplishing more with the same resources. On that scale, magic (by far) reached its zenith in either 2e or 3e, depending on which specific spells you consider. "Less inhibited" means having fewer restrictions, difficulties, or complicating factors to deal with, and on this scale 3e is unequivocally the least-inhibited.

Also, see above. Rolling a save vs spell (or whatever) for every single item on your person is an incredibly tedious thing. Likewise, rolling to see whether you're allowed to get better at the core of your class fantasy is frustrating. It's not that these things are necessarily "complicated," as you put it, but that they are tedious, frustrating, distracting, or simply just not very fun. It would be like, I dunno, saying that every time you try to fire a sniper rifle in Halo, you have to do a quick Simon Says minigame. People who don't use snipers don't have to do that, but snipers are one-hit-kill hitscan weapons with generous aim assist. It doesn't matter that Simon Says is a very simple game which demands very little of the person playing it: it's an annoyance. The annoyance is there in part to keep sniper rifles balanced, but it's an annoyance nonetheless. As with a great many things, people are very bad at going for what they know to be rationally better for the health of the community in general instead of actions which selfishly benefit them right away but damage the community. The "tragedy of the commons."

In 5E, there are too many magical races, classes, and subclass for me. Spells are too easy, too accommodating, etc.
They've gone back to being more or less what they were in 3e. Heck, if anything, races are much less fantastical than they were in 3e. Spells are if anything weaker and (slightly) more inhibited than they were in 3e. The only difference is availability--not ease or accommodation. So I'm genuinely stumped why you'd say this when they aren't more than they were in 3e and are arguably less (due to things like Concentration.)

Really, lower levels were more about surviving to reach higher levels, at which point you might have a magic item which made managing most resources a non-factor.
Again, rarity is irrelevant, because people will keep trying until they can get such a thing. Which, incidentally, is another reason people wanted to skip past a bunch of the inhibiting or mitigating factors from early editions: everyone understood that you'd keep rerolling Bob (Bob XXII replaced Bob XXI after he died of ear seeker, who replaced Bob XX after she died of a severe overdose of fire, who replaced Bob XIX after he died from falling damage, who...) until you succeed. If you're going to repeatedly make new characters and try again, much of the alleged excitement of high-lethality games drains away because it becomes a spin of the roulette wheel. Will the ball land on the right spot this time? Who knows, but you know it is essentially guaranteed to do so if you keep spinning long enough, and there's no cost to spinning again.

That's why, paradoxically, lowering the stakes can actually raise the excitement and investment. Because then you can shift to a world where no, you aren't guaranteed to eventually get what you want. There's an actual cost for spinning the wheel again and you may have to go home and admit defeat rather than playing until jackpot.

I don't think it was because such things were tedious (at least I know they weren't to me).
While it's fair that you didn't find them such, a lot of people did--and do. Inventory management, for example, is something that a number of computer RPGs do, and most players don't like it very much. Instead of being an area where if you do well, good things happen, it is an area where unless you do well, bad things happen. When there's no reward for success, only punishment for failure, it becomes hard to see why the mechanic adds value to the game.

Again, they haven't been doing it since the beginning in the fashion you describe IME. A lot of tables did choose to ignore such things because it wasn't important to them--their concern was more about combat or story points. To others it eventually became an after thought which would only occasionally become an issue ("Ok, you had three weeks of rations and food in your backpack, but it was all destroyed in that fireball so now your PC has no food or water...what will you do?"). And to some it remained a point of challenge on a more regular basis. 🤷‍♂️
It doesn't really matter what the reason for doing it was. The trend is what matters. And the trend has been present in every edition (except 4e, as is typical for conversations involving poly-edition comparisons.)

Remove ads