D&D 5E The Decrease in Desire for Magic in D&D

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It does not mention amnesia about who your friends are either which means to me the DM isnt interpreting as much as sabotaging an ability.
How many friends do you think a T-rex had? You are limited to the nature, not form, of the beast you are turned into. The only written exceptions are that you retain alignment and personality. If you retained who you were beyond that, they would have said so.

DMs reading too much into spells is the biggest reason spellcasters seem so much more powerful than martials.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
even an animal knows friend/not friend
I've had cats scratch the hell out of my arm simply because when it came to its "friend" for attention, I scratched a spot it didn't want scratched. It was fine until then. Had my cat been a tiger or lion, I'd probably have been killed by my "friend." A T-rex would be even more dangerous.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The reason it calls out lack of hands and speech for spellcasting is that there are some very smart animals out there. The giant ape is at 7 and the ape is at 6. That's easily in PC range for intelligence and the rules don't set minimum stats for spellcasting any longer. If a PC rolls a 4 for intelligence, he can choose to be a wizard and cast spells.
This is why some classes need minimum stat standards. Intelligence lower than 9? Sorry, no arcane casting for you.
There is no adversarial DMing going on by telling the player he's going to have to roleplay the intelligence of the beast he is being turned into. That isn't DM vs. Player mentality. It's just an impartial ruling that you happen to disagree with.
Agreed. Never mind the odds are high you-as-player-in-character agreed to be Poly'ed in the first place.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
With all the talk of T-Rex, I just had to add this little bit...

trex.gif

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeh that lawful good character is now homicidal against friends but still somehow lawful good with the exact same personality because the DM who does not really know much about the beast decides that is their nature .. SHEESH this definitely screams the DM is a "not fit for gramma" (if you don't like the word adversarial there are worse)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases