• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Defenders of Tronus - The Birth of Heroes (Updated 2/28/04)

Wee Jas

First Post
Calypso said:
And I was just thinking that Kaelin was gonna be a bad-a**, but was shortly there after outdone by Erasmus. :)

The story sounds really good. I can't wait to see how it progresses. I hope I don't die... And I think I'm going to research Kaelin a little more...

Ah we make a good team. I take all the damage while you get to play archer. :p

Jawa

First Post
Hey wait a second, last time I checked I took all the damage. Until recently I had the best AC and the most HP , 109 at 12th level. Every combat I usually got down below 20 hp and had to heal myself a few times.

Ziona

First Post
Wee Jas said:
If Arkyst would hurry up and catch up with the story I couldn't cite specific examples :p

Ah, give the guy a break...he's going to be a daddy soon! He's got a lot on his mind right now, like posting a picture of my Rayna mini. ;)

Arkyst

First Post
The party breakdown at this point:

Azerot - Cleric of Kabod, the master of the elements. Azerot follows the order of the smoke and specializes in Air and Fire magics. (Don't forget Azerot's cohort, Cinder, the fire mephit in the guise of a gnome.)

Rayna – Mystic Theurge, who worships Vaux, the god of magic. Rayna also owns one of the most noteworthy magic shops in Tronus, The Cryptic Cat.

Kaelin – The ranger, who uses his tracking and wilderness skills to further his profession as a bounty hunter. He has recently decided to try working with the Defenders of Tronus and is progressing well as a team player.

Erasmus – This undead hunter, known primarily for his skill with a bow, has traveled from a far-off land to help protect the Eye of Zorm so it doesn’t fall into the wrong hands.

Boulder – This stout dwarven monk has strong arms and a strong heart. He was slated to be one of the New Defenders; however, the thief, Daz D’Amberville, had intercepted his letter.

Baylynn – This roguish halfling lass is full of spunk and ready to take on the world. Having worked with Kaelin on several occasions to track down criminals, she jumped at the chance to impress the Defenders and insisted that she tag along. Through her actions she hopes to become an official member.

Last edited:

Arkyst

First Post
The Defenders of Tronus – Setting the Trap:

The Defenders journeyed straight through the next few nights taking turns guiding the carriage while the others slept inside. While the ride was smooth, it was still too rough for the spellcasters to properly prepare their arsenals of magic. So when the party arrived in the desert city of Kaldrid, one of the most prosperous trading ports in Arkyst, they headed to the first inn they could find.

Since it was so early on the fourth day, the group decided to split up to cover all of the groundwork needed to create a trap for Melcher’s bunch. Azerot and Rayna studied, prayed, then rested while Cinder watched over them in their room at the Sleeping Sands Inn. Erasmus, Kaelin, Boulder and Baylynn all headed to the streets where they would explore the city individually, look for suspicious characters, and scout out the location where the Pearl of the Deep was being held by one of Kaldrid’s wealthiest merchants.

Erasmus and Boulder ran into each other while exploring the streets surrounding the personal gallery where the pearl was being held. Instead of splitting up again however, Erasmus decided to enlist the aid of the muscle-bound monk. Boulder was ready for just about any task that the dusty vampire hunter could dredge up, but he was certainly surprised when Erasmus told them that they were going shopping.

Meanwhile Kaelin took a slightly different approach. He hunted up and down every street, scanning the crowd for anyone who looked out of place. He finally found what he was looking for when he spotted a young woman, clad tightly in a beige cloak. One of such beauty does not often hide their face; especially in the desert heat…she must be one of Melcher’s girls.

Kaelin proceeded to track down Baylynn since he needed her expertise and the two newfound heroes shadowed Melcher’s accomplice around the city. After the girl had finished a sketch of the entire gallery where the Pearl of the Deep was being held, Baylynn made her move. She boldly walked up to the suspicious girl and bumped into her. When Melcher’s dancing girl turned around, she saw an attractive young female halfling who began asking for directions to the nearest library.

Baylynn only troubled the woman for a moment and then gave a hearty “thank you” before heading in the appropriate direction. Once sufficiently lost in the crowd, Baylynn regrouped with Kaelin. Together they found a quiet alley where Kaelin shrouded the halfling from prying eyes while she made a copy of the map that she had pick pocketed. When the task was completed, Kaelin proceeded to track down Melcher’s lackey for a second time.

Baylynn dashed across the street and tapped the girl on the shoulder with one hand while putting the stolen map back into the girl’s backpack. Baylynn giggled absentmindedly as the dancing girl noticed that the halfling was back. The girl looked somewhat annoyed, but despite the obscure situation that they should meet again in one of Avrick’s largest cities, several blocks away and in the wrong direction, Baylynn was quite convincing in her tale about getting lost and needing a refresher on the directions. After several minutes Baylynn disappeared again into the crowd, ready to show her worth to the rest of the party.

Meanwhile, Erasmus and Boulder were in a general store across the street from the gallery where the pearl was being held. The overweight merchant at the counter seemed to be a little confused by the transaction though, “You’re saying that you want to purchase a full barrel of water? Then your going to leave the barrel next to the building until one of your friends comes to pick it up with a wagon? Isn’t someone else just going to take it if it sits on the street?”

Erasmus tilted the brim of his hat back just enough for the merchant to get a glimpse of his eyes. The cold dark stare of an undead hunter was enough to convince the merchant that it was a great idea. Erasmus paid for the barrel of water and a few other miscellaneous items and threw in an extra hundred gold for the shopkeeper to close early that afternoon. There was no argument from the shopkeeper who was happy enough to have a paid vacation.

Boulder hefted the barrel over his head, carried it outside and set it down near the edge of the shop. Erasmus assisted the dwarf in positioning it so it looked like it belonged there. When the two were done, they headed back to the Sleeping Sands Inn where they were scheduled to meet up with the others.

Back at the inn, Rayna and Azerot had finished praying and studying and were ready to go as soon as Erasmus, Boulder, Kaelin and Baylynn had all returned. Over a warm meal the group discussed their individual plans and worked them into an elaborate trap!

Baylynn displayed her copy of the map originally made by Melcher’s dancing girl that showed three ground level entrances as well as notes. The notes indicated that the front door was heavily trapped, that the side door led to an organ room for providing music for the gallery, (with no connecting door inside the building), and that the center back door would be the best approach.

Erasmus then voiced his part of the plan, “As we are all aware, there is a tall fence surrounding the sides and back of the building. Rayna, you will purchase a non-descript horse and cart and circle the block. We can use the cart to help us get over the fence, and it will help if we need to make an expeditious escape. Baylynn, we have setup a barrel of water in front of the shop across the street. With your necklace of adaptation, you will be able to hide in there until we call for you to act. Boulder, Kaelin and I will patrol the alleyways in the surrounding block so we will hopefully be able to catch Melcher’s entire entourage before they step foot inside the gallery.”

Azerot chimed in, “Sounds like a great plan! Erasmus, I apologize for my behavior back in Tronus. I also feel like now would be a great time to welcome Kaelin, Boulder and Baylynn to our team. Rayna and I agree that the two of us, along with Cinder of course, just wouldn’t have been prepared to handle this mission.”

Rayna followed Azerot’s kind words with a big smile and some light clapping that Azerot joined in on. Baylynn decided that it was time for the true test of unity, and put her hand down in the center of the table. The others followed in suit around the table, where even the reluctant Erasmus joined in. Yet when the pile of hands was topped by Cinder, the entire table shouted in unison, “WATER!”

Lela

First Post
That must be the most confusing battle cry I've ever heard.

So, as usual, scream it while charging enimies. ;)

Arkyst

First Post
This is the miniature for our Mystic Theurge, Rayna Fynley:

rayna1.jpg
rayna2.jpg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads