The Difficulties Of Running Low Magic Campaigns

I recently talked with a gamer who's often full of unusual, and sometimes impractical, ideas. He asked me about the difficulties of running a medieval-style low-magic D&D campaign. Lord of the Rings had to come up in the conversation, because it's the most well-known low magic fantasy setting in existence. If you take a functional rather than emotional view of the characters, in First Edition D&D terms Aragorn amounts to a seventh level ranger and Gandalf the Grey to an eighth level cleric with a Ring of Fire, and other characters are similarly low level. (I'll discuss in detail this another time.) Magic and "super-power" is immensely rare in this setting.

I recently talked with a gamer who's often full of unusual, and sometimes impractical, ideas. He asked me about the difficulties of running a medieval-style low-magic D&D campaign. Lord of the Rings had to come up in the conversation, because it's the most well-known low magic fantasy setting in existence. If you take a functional rather than emotional view of the characters, in First Edition D&D terms Aragorn amounts to a seventh level ranger and Gandalf the Grey to an eighth level cleric with a Ring of Fire, and other characters are similarly low level. (I'll discuss in detail this another time.) Magic and "super-power" is immensely rare in this setting.

It should be easier to run a low magic rather than a high magic campaign because the powers of both characters and opponents are unlikely to get out of hand. But as for recruiting players for such a campaign…that could be difficult in 2018. (Keep in mind, he's a college student and is likely to have players who are college students, not older players.)

The fundamental problem with a low magic campaign is that people have been "trained" to expect high magic by video RPGs and MMOs, and by video games in general, that are often designed to reward rather than challenge players. In other words, the low magic campaign will feel much too "tame", too dull, too slow, too "lame". Yes, it can be just as dangerous as any other campaign, but I suspect most players are not looking for danger any more when they play RPGs, again as encouraged by video games (where you can never lose).

Will players go for a game where there isn't a "loot drop" with every monster, without magic items by the bucket load?

In CRPG/MMOs leveling is what it's all about, the destination (which is maximum level) not the journey. Yet in order to run a low magic campaign you probably have to have low level characters, and that means they can't level up every other session or sooner. How will this sit with people who are accustomed to computer RPGs?

Perhaps it can work if you tell the players before the campaign starts that it's a military style campaign, that the party is like an elite combat unit (Navy SEALs, SAS, and such) trying to accomplish a series of dangerous but vital missions. Or perhaps they're like elite mercenaries doing the same thing. In other words, you can try to train the expectations of the players, but you're up against their experience, which will often include lots of computer RPGs.

My advice to my friend was to make small differences in capability from one level to the next, to let the players level up with some frequency, but to make magic items very rare, as in LOTR. If the players think of themselves as special service troops/elite mercenaries, perhaps that will work.

Improvement of characters is a pillar of RPGs. If they can only rarely improve via magic item collection, they're left with money collection or improved inherent capabilities (stronger, sneakier, better defenders, etc.). An alternative way to run a low-magic campaign might be to let the players begin as extraordinarily capable characters (compared with ordinary people) who don't really change much. They would be like James Bond and other long-running movie and comic book characters (Indiana Jones, Black Widow), and heroes of many novels. If players aren't focused on leveling up, they could actually have adventurous fun!

Another way is to emphasize collection of wealth, where players become merchant magnates or buy into the nobility or become leaders of mercenary armies. The ultimate goal might be to run their own small country.

I should think some readers have tried low-magic medieval-style campaigns. How well did they work out?

contributed by Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

MarkB

Legend
The thing is, Lord of the Rings isn't a low-magic campaign. As a setting conceit, magic items are supposedly super-rare, but the protagonists pick them up at a hefty rate. Gandalf and Aragorn come pre-stocked with magic swords, the hobbits get magic weapons out of the first dungeon they raid, Frodo gets magic armour in Rivendell, and magic items are handed out like candy in Lothlorien. That's just in the first book, and I didn't even mention the Rings.

The issues with low-magic campaigns in D&D are largely logistical, a matter of not having the expected tools to deal with certain resistances and immunities. If you have that covered through careful monster choice or adjustment, you should be fine.

Tranquilis

Explorer
Low magic AND low levels both combine to make my favorite combination. A natural “governor”, though, is low level. A level cap of 6 (like in the old d20 E6 game variant) or 10 will naturally curtail some of the magic shenanigans.

I like the resource management aspects, hirelings... and the actual threat and fear of death.

I know we are taking fantasy here, but for me magic can really stress my suspension of disbelief. Example: clerical healing and commoner death. If every low-level NPC cleric could cast Cure Light Wounds, peasants would be beating the temple doors down -much less for Raise Dead and Resurrection.

I’m about to the point I don’t like clerical magic at all, and would rather convert what few spells I like from divine to arcane.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I think that the problem is that video games and modern action movies, sources from which many fantasy fans draw character inspiration nowadays, focus by necessity on confrontation. That requires the protagonist to have enough power (and that power to be retain or regenerate, not just be one-off). By comparison, classic sword & sorcery fiction, Tolkien, older films, and even games like 1st Edition AD&D look to avoid confrontation by limiting powers and resources and relying on how/when to use those resources.

Running a low-magic D&D game means looking more to heist films than action blockbusters (how the Hobbit “trilogy” recast Tolkein’s own heist as an action romp makes for odd lesson). Consider the party as the sort of experts of an Ocean’s Eleven cast, working together to better the sum of their parts. In this case, a wizard’s magic returns to being a toolkit instead of being artillery — but the story also doesn’t call for him to be artillery. High magic games are just the fantasy version of big weapon games, and those exist when the story calls for the heroes playing Schwarzenegger or Stallone strolling through the dungeon making quips as they blow orcs away.

Are you aware theres a 5e ogl product out there that addresses most of these concerns?

Adventures in middle earth, by the guys who have the licence to the official lord of the rings rpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I should think some readers have tried low-magic medieval-style campaigns. How well did they work out?

I’ve done it in a few systems, and IMHO, system matters. The more you have to do to “gimp” a game’s system, the more trouble you’ll have. Since most incarnations of D&D default to medium/high magic...:erm: In contrast, campaigns in RPGs like GURPS or HERO can be set at a wide variety of magic levels.

Going “low magic” in a D&D type system, I’ve done things like eliminate full casting classes in favor of half casters (sometimes with expanded spell lists) OR houseruled that no PC could take more than half of their levels earned after 3rd in full casting classes.

Also, you need to be careful about how you define “low-magic” and sell it to players. Some hear “low magic” and think that just means magic is generally rare, but can still be powerful. There might be only 6 true Artifacts in the world, but they may still harness world-shaking power.

Others, OTOH, might think that “low magic” means magic is relatively commonplace but not very powerful. A fireball might be the pinnacle of war magic. “Spellcasters” would need to round out their skill sets to be effective adventurers.

Still others may define “low magic” as being both rare and low in power. As above, no adventurer worth his salt will be able to rely on magic as his main shtick. They’ll use it to reinforce strengths, compensate for weaknesses, or have an unexpected trick up their sleeve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mercule

Adventurer
The problem of Christmas tree characters and Monty Haul campaigns date back to the origin of DnD. You can't blame the proliferation of magic on video games. Many other rpgs, after all, manage fine with little or no magic.
This is true, as far as it goes -- Monty Haul is as old as the game, itself. I do think, however, that video games have aggravated things, though.

Maybe it's not video games, but there's something. I ran 1E and 2E games that were very low magic and very slow advancement (name level took a couple years) and no one complained. That's in addition to most of the AD&D levels being "dead" levels, so all you got were some hit points. Since 3E, it seems like there's an expectation that PCs will actually hit 20th level and they often seem to have their advancement all planned out, with multiclassing and feat selection.

Arilyn

Hero
This is true, as far as it goes -- Monty Haul is as old as the game, itself. I do think, however, that video games have aggravated things, though.

Maybe it's not video games, but there's something. I ran 1E and 2E games that were very low magic and very slow advancement (name level took a couple years) and no one complained. That's in addition to most of the AD&D levels being "dead" levels, so all you got were some hit points. Since 3E, it seems like there's an expectation that PCs will actually hit 20th level and they often seem to have their advancement all planned out, with multiclassing and feat selection.

Could be a positive feedback loop. The old video games had slow level up too, but then as players wanted more from their rpgs, video games increased the goodies, causing rpg players wanting more, and so on.

Mercule

Adventurer
Could be a positive feedback loop. The old video games had slow level up too, but then as players wanted more from their rpgs, video games increased the goodies, causing rpg players wanting more, and so on.
Not sure I find that feedback loop to be positive, but point taken.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I’m about to the point I don’t like clerical magic at all, and would rather convert what few spells I like from divine to arcane.

In my 2E with tons of house rules campaign I'm still running all these years on, the gods are dead. There is magical healing but no raising.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
The thing is, Lord of the Rings isn't a low-magic campaign. As a setting conceit, magic items are supposedly super-rare, but the protagonists pick them up at a hefty rate. Gandalf and Aragorn come pre-stocked with magic swords, the hobbits get magic weapons out of the first dungeon they raid, Frodo gets magic armour in Rivendell, and magic items are handed out like candy in Lothlorien. That's just in the first book, and I didn't even mention the Rings.

Backing you up, there's LOTS of magic in LotR. What there isn't are things like instantaneous travel, magical flight in control of the protagonists, area effect death/control, and other things like that. Magic is all around but it's slow and for the most part has been forgotten or is dying out.

The issues with low-magic campaigns in D&D are largely logistical, a matter of not having the expected tools to deal with certain resistances and immunities. If you have that covered through careful monster choice or adjustment, you should be fine.

Adventures in Middle Earth by Cubicle 7 is a 5E port of The One Ring, designed for Middle Earth. The fact that you can only Long Rest in a sanctuary and that things like area effect death/control are essentially non-existent change the feel a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads