• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Divine Domain of 'Magic'

Syntallah

First Post
Has anyone created (or how would you do it) the Divine Domain of Magic (e.g. for a cleric of Azuth: Patron of Magic, Lord of Spells)?

I have a player who wants to play a cleric/wizard, but has concerns about the limitations of multiclassing. We both understand that the levels of each class would stack for his casting ability, but the multiclassing aspect pushing class features and ability boosts back is a concern...

Thanks in advance for any input...

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Has anyone created (or how would you do it) the Divine Domain of Magic (e.g. for a cleric of Azuth: Patron of Magic, Lord of Spells)?

I have a player who wants to play a cleric/wizard, but has concerns about the limitations of multiclassing. We both understand that the levels of each class would stack for his casting ability, but the multiclassing aspect pushing class features and ability boosts back is a concern...

The Knowledge Domain, as written, is Excellent for a multi class cleric/wizard.
For the cleric, the combination of Blessings of Knowledge and Knowledge of the Ages gives a lot that's useful out-of-combat, For the wizard, I'd look to Diviner, which has Portent at level 2 (an ability I can't wait to play with).

At that point (2/2) it's really up to the player how to advance, but they'd have had a sampling of both classes, and because of how spell progression works, there's no wrong answer -- it's just which second-level spells are desired most.

If you start with Wizard, you have proficiency in the Int save; Clerics get Cha (both get Wisdom). If you start Wizard, your melee weapons will be more limited than if you start Cleric.

jadrax

Adventurer
I think to be honest, 'Magic' is far to broad a concept to be made into a Domain.

The existing seven domains are really subsets of Magic anyway. What you are basically choosing do you want tor cleric to be good at Life magic, Nature magic, Knowledge magic, War magic et al. Having a player choose 'Magic magic' doesn't conceptually stack up.

The Knowledge Domain is definitely the way to go for Azuth Clerics.

Or alternatively, play a Wizard with the Acolyte Background. You do not have to be a Cleric to be a Priest.

Syntallah

First Post
Apologies, it all made sense in my head o_O

I was asking about the Magic Domain as a progression instead of multiclassing. If the Magic Domain was a strong enough magical element for my player to be single class cleric, that might be more what he's looking for.

Loss of features is a fair concern. With regards to Azuth, he'd grant the Knowledge domain in 5E (as others have already pointed out), but I'd argue this is an example of a case where the 5E cleric domains are lacking; the knowledge domain is highly divination-oriented, whereas Azuth is not. (3.5E's knowledge and magic domains were distinct enough to avoid this problem.) We need to make more domains!

As for your player, would he prefer to be more wizardy or clericky? I think he could get a lot of mileage out of a wizard with the acolyte background and three levels of knowledge cleric. He'd still be a decent healer, for one thing.

Syntallah

First Post

Remove ads