• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The DM's Percentage

What is "The DM's Percentage" in your game?

• 10%

Votes: 12 3.5%
  • 20%

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • 30%

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • 40%

Votes: 38 11.1%
  • 50%

Votes: 66 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 33 9.6%
  • 70%

Votes: 56 16.4%
  • 80%

Votes: 63 18.4%
  • 90%

Votes: 26 7.6%
  • 100%

Votes: 12 3.5%

Fenes 2

First Post
I can't really say how much of my material is original - I have read a ton of books, both fantasy, SF and textbooks, I surf the net, I watch movies and anime, I read fanfiction. Sometimes I take a character from one of those sources and plug it in a game as an NPC, more or less adapted (I once used Columbo as a city watch inverstigator in the FR). Odds are that whatever I create someone has created the same or something similar before me.

I don't really care about originality anyway - I see both "official" sourcebooks and inspirational material as just the building blocks for my campaign, to pick and choose and rewrite, to combine and split as I see fit until the whole feels right.

I don't use published modules though, since most of them are too hack & slash for my taste, and after tweaking them sufficently to suit my campaign and my players' taste I'd have gotten the same use out of one as from a 3-sentence plot hook from a sourcebook,

Sketchpad

Explorer
I mostly use my own source material ... with occasional material from game books. A good example of this is that I use Champions in my M&M campaign and visa versa :)

SnowDog

First Post
Currently I'm trying to get the max game payoff I can with as little time investment as possible, so I'm running an almost-by-the-book version of Monte's BaneWarrens in a home-brewed world that isn't defined much at all outside Ptolus.

I've pulled in the cosmology from Book of the Righteous.

As such, I feel like right now I'm only running at about 10% "my own" stuff. In an ideal world, that number would be much higher, but would probably cap out somewhere in the 2/3 area as there's just so much good stuff out there -- just need to glue it together, alter it, and make it your own.

emergent

First Post
I rarely (once in a year and a half campaign) run purchased or given adventures as is. I do, however, "liberate" ideas or encounters from adventures and adapt them to my game.

I get ideas from all over, but a lot come from ENWorld and a lot come from game product of one form or another.

NPC's tend to come from books, movies, or real people/personal experience.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
It all depends on the campaign.

For D&D, it's maybe 10-20% pre-made stuff, but the rest of the world is homebrew.

For Star Wars, it's around 95% pre-made setting material.

For my psuedo Rifts (D20 Modern), it's around 70% (that's how I voted sine this is the campaign we play the most right now).

Kane

psychopomp

First Post
I would have to say that most of my ideas for adventures I run are original. The only pre-written adventures I've ever used were "The Nightmare Lands" and "Bleak House" because I thought they were pretty damn cool.

As for my sources of inspiration I am influenced by just about everything. From the novels I read to the anime I watch. They generally give me character ideas but sometimes I take a bit from the plot and tweak it to my tastes and would equally suit the campaign. I also generally DM horror/dark fantasy oriented games and ideas come quickly for me with those specific genre's.

Last edited:

UrathDM

First Post
Influences

About 60% of my stuff is my own.

Influences: Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Middle Earth, Midkemia, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Birthright, and a host of others.

I usually find a rule system I like and adapt it to my homebrew world. I seldom use modules at all, reading them for ideas like cool traps or interesting encounter locations.

Master Gunns

First Post
I would have to say that 80% of the material I use comes from other sources. I like taking ideas from several sources and mixing them together to come up with something unique.

A lot of gamers think that using ready made adventures is sacrilege, but I don't have either the time or the talent to dream up all of the stuff that the hundreds of game developers have already published. That and working upwards of 60 hours a week, and frequent deployments in the military, leaves me the choice of using other peoples work or not playing at all, an easy one to make.

Remove ads