D&D 5E The Dolphin Delighter is a Teleporting, Telepathic Dolphin

WotC’s Crawford told Gizmodo about the mysterious ‘Dolphin Delighter’ — and while that name might suggest something else to some, it is in fact a new monster in Monsters of the Multiverse. Art from Pixabay “One of the most delightful ones is the Dolphin Delighter—a fey dolphin. When I was putting together the dolphin page for this book, I realized dolphins in the game had often been...

WotC’s Crawford told Gizmodo about the mysterious ‘Dolphin Delighter’ — and while that name might suggest something else to some, it is in fact a new monster in Monsters of the Multiverse.

B93AF43A-8516-4CA0-82AB-E2DE1D9D5C79.jpeg

Art from Pixabay
“One of the most delightful ones is the Dolphin Delighter—a fey dolphin. When I was putting together the dolphin page for this book, I realized dolphins in the game had often been associated with seals, which are also in the book along with other fey aquatic folk. We finally introduce a telepathic, teleporting fey dolphin!”

HammerMan

Legend
Is this the only genuinely new creature in this book?

Reminds me of one of those greatest hits albums where the band has included one new song in order to entice fans who already own all the other songs to buy it.
Where I see how you are making that thought... I don't think WotC thinks anyone is saying "I need the new dolphin stats"

Can't wait to sick a pod of those onto my players. I wonder what kind of treasure they will have?

Quick question though. If the PCs eat dolphin steaks later, will they temporarily get the benefits of Fey Ancestry?

Stormonu

Legend
Can't wait to sick a pod of those onto my players. I wonder what kind of treasure they will have?

Quick question though. If the PCs eat dolphin steaks later, will they temporarily get the benefits of Fey Ancestry?
If that's the case, sauteed elf is a better recipe (it preserves the ancestry better too).

Besides, I wouldn't trust eating a sick pod of dolphins.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
As someone who has the book, I can confirm that it's the only entirely new creature in the entire book.

But that's okay. The book is supposed to be a consolidated rules encyclopedia for the monsters and player lineages that have come out since the PHB. The only stuff it doesn't include are setting-specific lineages and monsters, for which you'd need to check out Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, Eberron: Rising From the Last War, Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, Mythic Odysseys of Theros, Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft, and Strixhaven: Curriculum of Chaos (there's also the 8 other Tiefling variants based on the Archdukes not-named Asmodeus - but those will likely be consolidated into the Tiefling core features in the 5.5e PHB in a couple years, and similarly there's the Chromatic/Metallic/Gem Dragonborn who will likely just replace the Dragoborn in the PHB for 5.5e). I could see them eventually releasing a compilation book of setting-specific lineages, but probably not a compilation of such monsters as even more so VERY setting-specific than the lineages.

Remove ads

Remove ads