• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Doomed Bastards: Reckoning (story complete)

Lazybones

Adventurer
Verbatim: don't know if you have the module, but the monk was named "Socrates" in the original, which I didn't like for reasons I've stated earlier, so I changed it. His two "brothers" were just a play on the whole backwards-names thing. I figured you guys would catch that. ;)

CrusadeDave said:
Any chance we can get some updated stat blocks? The party's got to be at least 9th level by now, I think Varo's holding out on the party and deciding not to Plane Shift twice to get the party out of the dungeon.
Ah, right, I'd forgotten to update those. I'll post there next. I made a few changes here and there as the story went on, so if you see any obvious errors, post in the Rogues' Gallery thread.

And Varo's still only 8th; his "price" for the Oracle's wisdom was a negative level. We'll see what he learned a bit later in the story. :cool:

Chapter 69

KUPRA

“By all the gods,” Allera said, shoving past Talen into the already crowded room. “Dar, let her go!”

“Like hell,” he said. “I’ll handle this, healer.”

“Like hell,” she shot back, stepping up until she was literally a few inches from his arm. “If you want to get healed the next time you get carved up into bloody mash, you’ll let her go, right this instant.”

“She’s danger—”

“You can stand in the doorway. Look, she isn’t going anywhere, all right? Do you think she’d have hidden under the bed, if there was anywhere else she could have gone? Now, let her go. Now.”

Dar held the healer’s stare for a long second, then turned and in disgust released his prisoner. The woman sagged to the ground, gasping for air. She tried to retreat when Allera reached for her, nearly tripping over the overturned bed.

“I’m not going to hurt you,” the healer said, her voice calm and level. “I’m Allera. You’re Kupra, right?”

“How do you know my name?” the woman managed to wheeze.

“Not from Banth. He’s dead, Kupra.”

The young woman looked up at her. “No,” she said, shaking her head.

“Yes, Kupra. We killed him, but only because we had to. He was mad, Kupra, and evil. But I don’t think you’re like him.”

“Dead...”

“Yeah, poked full of more holes than a pincushion,” Dar said, from the doorway. “I can drag the corpse in here, if you want.”

Allera shot him a look that held daggers, then turned back to Kupra. “It’s true. He’s dead.”

The woman started crying, and fell into Allera’s embrace, her whole body shaking as the sobs overcame her. “It’s all right,” Allera said, stroking the woman’s uneven hair. “It’s all right.”

Talen took Dar’s arm. “Leave her alone for a few minutes,” he said.

“You’re entirely too willing to trust, captain,” Dar said quietly, as they drew back out of the doorway into the larger room outside.

“And you’re too willing to condemn. Let Allera have a chance; we need allies far more than we need enemies.”

“You’d trust her as an ally?”

“I’d see what information she could give us, and weigh it according to the context of the situation. And keep my eyes open for betrayal. I’m not paranoid, but I’m not a fool, mercenary.”

“I guess we’ll have to see if that’s true,” Dar said, walking away.

Allera remained inside with their prisoner for a good ten minutes, with Varo keeping a close eye on the interview from just outside the doorway. Finally, the healer brought the apprentice mage out. She looked awful, with red eyes and a blotch where a bruise had grown around her right eye. They could also see red marks around her throat where Dar had grabbed her. She stood against Allera as if the healer was a supporting wall.

“Kupra will help us, if we bring her with us when we depart,” Allera said. “She just wants to leave this place.”

“Yeah, fat chance of that,” Dar said. “That’s been our plan as well, and how well has it worked out for us?”

“She knows a way out,” Allera said.

That got everyone’s attention immediately.

Kupra was able to share a great deal of information about her former master.

She showed them where to find the secret door that led to Banth’s laboratory. Scattered about on shelves, tables, and wooden racks was a very thorough collection of alchemical ingredients, tools, and leather-bound tomes. They also found numerous body parts and other pieces of “failed” experiments. Kupra described some of those to the companions in a cold, lifeless tone of voice, as if she were relating things that someone else had seen, rather than she.

A door off the laboratory led to a spartan bedchamber that had clearly belonged to the dead wizard. Bookshelves lined the walls, and in addition to a bed and desk, there was a large brazier of ancient bronze on an iron stand in the center of the room. Oil lamps, most currently unlit, dangled from iron chains around the perimeter of the chamber.

Varo examined the brazier, and the contents of an empty jar he found lying beside it. “This device is magical,” he said finally. “I believe that the wizard used this to summon the elemental we battled. Do you know the command words?” he asked Kupra.

The apprentice nodded faintly.

“There is a good deal of power and wealth here,” Varo said. “We should search it carefully before we depart.”

“Yeah, whatever, I want to hear about the way out,” Dar said. He turned to Kupra, but the woman drew back in terror as he looked at her. Exasperated, he turned to Allera. “Get her to tell us about the exit.”

With some prodding, Allera got the woman to reveal what she knew. There was an exit beyond a secret door in the exit to the wight catacombs, she told them. It was warded by a hive of giant bees, but beyond that was a shaft that led straight to the surface.

“That buzzing I heard, in the passage,” Talen said.

“If only you’d found the door, we might have avoided that bastard mage altogether,” Dar said.

“Now that we know the way out, we should leave this place,” Setarcos said.

“Not yet,” Varo and Allera said almost as one. The cleric nodded to the healer. “We should rest first,” Allera said. “And then I will use my magic to speak to the tiger, and see if I can help her and her cubs.”

“This place does seem to be rather secure,” Varo added. “And I would like some more time to go through the wizard’s effects.”

“Bah, magic mumbo-jumbo,” Dar said. “The man was cracked, that much is easy to see. What do you expect to learn from his crap?”

“We will see,” Varo said enigmatically.

They attended to a few things before turning to rest. True to her word, Allera helped Dar and Talen kill the tormented mutations in Banth’s “storage room”. Afterwards, she went off alone, and refused to let any of the others come with her, even to watch over her. She returned an hour later, and fed the dire tiger.

Varo spent the time reviewing Banth’s library and collection of alchemical materials. He kept Kupra with him, to provide direction and explanation of his finds. She was able to direct the cleric to the transmuter’s spellbooks, which he packed into two large travel bags. He kept the apprentice’s smaller book separate, but did not return it to her for now.

Talen and Setarcos made a thorough search of the complex, to verify that there weren’t any other ways in and out other than the main corridor. They did find a pit in the outer hall that nearly captured Setarcos, but the old monk was able to leap free before gravity drew him in. They marked its location carefully and continued their search.

Once they were reasonable sure that the complex was secure, they let Allera and Varo rest in Banth’s quarters. Kupra was given a few blankets as well, but the men agreed that she should be bound. Talen tied her wrists behind her back, and attached them to one of the larger bookshelves. The apprentice accepted the treatment mutely, offering no resistance.

Dar and Talen took shifts watching and resting. Although they didn’t say anything, neither was quite ready to put full trust in Setarcos either, for all the old man’s apparently benign nature. The monk did not complain, sitting on the floor of Banth’s bedchamber in a meditative pose.

Time passed without incident. Allera and Varo recovered their spells; the group enjoyed a meal from Banth’s undistinguished larder. After treating what injuries remained from the previous day, Allera said that she was ready to deal with the dire tiger.

“What do you want us to do?” Talen asked.

“Open the secret door to the outer complex. Then come back to the laboratory, and stay there until I return.”

“What?” Dar asked. “You mean you’re going to open the cage, with you in there alone? What if it attacks you?”

“If it intends to attack me, I won’t open the cage,” Allera explained patiently, as if to a child.

“How in the hells are you going to know whether it intends to attack you?” Dar returned.

“I can use my magic to communicate with it.”

“Yeah, what if it lies? Maybe it says, ‘Oh, sure, I’d love to get out of this cage, I won’t hurt you,’ and then when you open it, it yells, ‘SUCKER’, and then eats you?”

“Animals are less duplicitous than humans,” Allera said. “In any case, it is a risk that I intend to take.”

“We should at least be in the room. If it decides to make a snack of you, at least we can—”

“No. As I promised Talen, I will not risk the group. I will cast my sanctuary spell, just in case the creature becomes a threat. I also have the ability to calm emotions... but if you are all there, it may agitate the creature beyond my powers to control it.”

“We will wait in the adjacent hall, with the door open,” Talen said. “If something should go wrong, we will come to your aid.”

“Very well.”

They made their way out to the cage room. Talen and Dar headed out to open the exits, then returned to the hall beyond the secret door to the lab. They lingered there as Allera knelt beside the cage in the floor, and looked down at the huge tiger.

The creature was magnificent, even in its current state. She could see its ribs through the tattered hide loosely covering its body. Its cubs prowled through the muck, mewling.

Sensing her, the tiger lifted its head—clearly taking an effort—and growled. The sound rumbled in its body like an earthquake.

Allera opened her mind to her magic, and reached out to the creature.

javcs

First Post
Allera opened her mind to her magic, and reached out to the creature.

There goes her mind to some Far Realms denizen. Or she becomes the prisoner of some evil outsider.

Either that or a) she's taken a feat to gain an animal companion (rather unlikely), or b) it's a wild-shaped druid/master of many forms/some similar PrC /polymorphed sorcerer/wizard /something along these lines (highly improbable).

Personally, I'm going with one of the first two.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Things are starting to look up for the doomed bastards. Which means that the Vrock, spectre and all the cult of orcus is due to show up any minute now and cull their number again. Time to see who kicks the bucket next.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
javcs said:
There goes her mind to some Far Realms denizen. Or she becomes the prisoner of some evil outsider.

Either that or a) she's taken a feat to gain an animal companion (rather unlikely)

She's a healer (you know, the girlfriend class from the Miniatures Handbook). I believe they get a cute furry animal with sharp pointy teeth at some point midlevel. The tiger must be her class feature.

Brogarn

First Post
With the dire tiger having cubs, I wouldn't imagine it wanting to align itself with Allera.

So, I'm going with expecting the worst, whatever that may be. Most likely Allera dying a horrible death and Dar going berserker rage all over whatever killed Allera.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Elder-Basilisk said:
She's a healer (you know, the girlfriend class from the Miniatures Handbook). I believe they get a cute furry animal with sharp pointy teeth at some point midlevel. The tiger must be her class feature.
Haven't forgotten about that; she won't be getting a celestial unicorn (could you see that fitting into the story? :confused: ), but something that does fit better may come along a bit later.

We're approaching the end of Book I of this story. Don't worry about running out of content; we still have about 20 dungeon levels to go (although they won't be visiting all of them by a longshot), and a lot of dead bodies yet to handle. I am way ahead at the moment (in Book III, actually), and some... interesting things are coming down the pipeline.

Chapter 70

BZZZZ...

“I hope that what you did doesn’t come back to haunt us later,” Dar said, as the companions prepared to set out once more. After Allera had released the dire tiger, they’d retreated back to Banth’s chamber, and were packing up their gear, old and new.

The fighter had replaced another set of ruined clothes with replacements from Banth’s wardrobe. The only problem was, the fighter was about a foot and a half taller than the wizard had been. The robe he had put on under his armor terminated right around his knees, giving him a somewhat comic appearance.

Dar was beyond caring about such mundane concerns. But as he took up his pack, Varo came over to him. “I need you to take the brazier as well.”

“What? You’ve got to be kidding. That thing has to weigh two hundred pounds!”

“It is extremely valuable. You are the only one of us strong enough to carry it.”

“No way, cleric. Forget it. Were you even listening to that bitch apprentice earlier? We’re going to be climbing up another of those damned shafts. You want it, carry it yourself.”

Varo took the fighter aside, and spoke to him quietly for a few minutes. Dar’s expression did not change, but when they packed up the last of their gear, the fighter lifted the heavy bronze bowl, and lashed it to the back of his pack using ropes they’d found in the transmuter’s laboratory.

Talen came back in, carrying his own heavy pack. He raised an eyebrow when he saw Dar’s added burden, but didn’t say anything.

“Ready?” he asked them.

“Just one more thing, on our way out,” Varo said.

In the laboratory, they found that the cleric had gone through all of the wizard’s books, heaping all those that didn’t warrant keeping into a large heap in one corner. The wizard took a large clay jug he’d left on the edge of a nearby table, and started pouring the contents onto the pile.

“What are you doing?” Talen asked.

“There is material in these books that should have never been written,” the cleric said. “I am going to burn them.”

“But there are no vents for the smoke,” Allera said. “You may choke us out.”

“I have considered that,” Varo said. “Do you know any beekeepers?”

“What?” Dar asked, but Talen nodded. “Clever, priest. The smoke may make the bees more pliable.”

Varo nodded. “Still, I would suggest that you be already on your way when I ignite the stack.” His companions left, leaving Varo alone as he finished dousing the books with oil. The cleric adjusted his pack—heavy with the added weight of several volumes of Banth’s library ensconced inside—and recovered one of the lamps from the other room.

The books went up in an eager pyre, and Varo turned and left without looking back.

Following Kupra’s directions, they made their way to the corridor leading out to the wight catacombs. She showed them how to open the secret door that accessed a deep vault. The buzzing noise was much stronger here, and they remained alert as they investigated the place. There was a huge opening in the floor that led to a dark shaft.

“Where does that lead?” Talen asked.

Kupra shook her head. “I do not know.”

“Let us consider that a question best left unanswered,” Varo said. They moved cautiously around the edge of the shaft, and made their way to the far side of the room.

“Shine the light over here, please,” Setarcos said. He indicated a stretch of wall that looked different, even to casual observation. As their light hit it, it seemed to shine through the wall. The buzzing was much stronger here as well.

Talen probed the wall with his dagger; the blade cut through it with only slight resistance.

“Looks like this is the way,” he said.

Allera coughed; the air was starting to get a bit hazy. “I suggest we cut away as much of the top part as we can reach, and let the smoke through,” Varo said.

Dar and Talen worked together to put the cleric’s suggestion into action. They could all smell a sweetness in the air that contrasted notably with the usual smells of Rappan Athuk. They could also hear a loud buzzing, which continued to grow louder until it filled their heads and made even brief conversation difficult. The air continued to thicken, until their eyes were watering.

“If we wait much longer, the bees aren’t going to be the only ones suffering,” Dar said, after a few minutes.

“All right, let’s press on, but stay together,” Talen said.

They cut a larger opening in the fibrous wall, revealing a passage beyond. The corridor was narrow enough to force them go single file, so Dar took the lead, followed by Talen. Setarcos and Kupra remained close to Allera, while Varo brought up the rear.

They didn’t go very far, maybe twenty feet or so, before the passage opened onto a large cavern.

“Damn,” Dar said, impressed despite himself.

The cavern was dominated by a massive honeycomb that stretched across the walls and ceiling of much of the place. Bees, each easily five feet in length, were crawling sluggishly across the hive; there were over a dozen that they could see. The place smelled sweet, overlaid with a waxy smell like a chandler’s shop.

The bees didn’t seem to notice the adventurers, or didn’t consider them a threat. None of them were willing to bet that this would remain unchanged, however.

“There’s an opening,” Talen said, pointing to a low spot beneath the hive. As they watched, a bee crawled through it, disappearing from view.

“The shaft out is on the far side?” Kupra said.

“Will the bees attack us if we try to leave?” Setarcos asked.

“I don’t know,” Kupra said.

“Those stingers will hurt if they do,” Dar said. “I suggest we shoot them full of arrows; if they swarm, we can fall back to the other room and stab them as they come through the passage.”

“That may not be necessary,” Allera said. “I can calm them, long enough for us to get past.”

“What if there’s more in the shaft?” Dar asked.

“They’ll still be there if we kill the ones in here,” Talen said. “And they’ll be pissed to boot. Let’s try Allera’s plan.”

The healer cast her spell, speaking in a soft singsong as they moved into the room. The noise of the bees, already muted from the effects of the smoke, softened still further. The creatures still moved about, but their actions were lethargic, slowed. Careful not to prod any of them, the six adventurers made their way to the gap in the hive, and passed through. Allera maintained her chant, soothing the bees as they passed.

“In his journals, Banth noted that the honey produced by these bees has a curative effect,” Varo said.

“Good for them,” Talen said. “Don’t mess with it; we don’t want to press our luck.”

But Varo, curious, lingered momentarily as they passed through the hive. Taking up his mace, he poked a small hole in the walls of one of the cells of the comb. A rich slick of honey oozed out of the opening. Careful not to get any of the substance on his skin or clothes, the cleric scraped a portion of the material into a fold of oilcloth.

Turning around, he found himself face to face with a giant bee.

Brogarn

First Post
This is the only part so far that has me exceedingly nervous. Don't. Like. Bugs!

Varo doing something stupid? Wow... guess there's a first for everything.

Lazybones

Adventurer
I will post again this afternoon, which will conclude Book 1 of the story.

Chapter 71

ESCAPE

The bee crawled forward. Varo, recovering quickly, stepped smoothly aside, letting it pass to the far side of the hive.

The cleric rejoined the others, who had watched the encounter at the mouth of a shaft on the far side of the cavern. “You have more luck than sense, cleric,” Talen said.

“Knowledge is a weapon as strong as any sword, captain. This may be useful.”

“Are we getting out of here or not?” Dar asked.

With a final telling look at the cleric, Talen removed his pack, and began taking off his armor. Allera accepted the burden, rolling up the fine blacksteel suit, tucking it into the straps of his pack. Setarcos handed him a coil of rope, one of two they’d found in Banth’s very well-stocked laboratory. None of them wanted to think about the uses that the wizard had put the silk cord to, but if they could use it to escape, it was well worth taking.

“I’ll signal down when it’s safe to come up,” he told them. “Keep an eye and a hand on the rope; two tugs means it’s safe to come up.” He mimed tapping the hilt of his dagger against the adjacent wall. “I’ll tap if I encounter anything. One tap means it’s okay, keep coming. Anything more than that, trouble.”

“What should we do if you run into something up there?” Allera asked.

“Throw lots for his armor,” Dar said. The others looked at him; nobody laughed.

“I’ll be fine,” Talen said. “Remember, one at a time, and help each other where you can.”

The captain took off his swordbelt, and drew his glowing magical sword. Taking a sharp knife from Setarcos, he cut away at the leather scabbard, until he had torn away a foot-long strip. Sliding the sword back into the scabbard, he slung the belt across his chest, so that the glowing blade shone softly ahead of him.

“Careful that doesn’t foul you,” Dar said.

Talen smiled. “Worried about me after all, mercenary?”

“I just want to get out of here. If you fall, then that means I gotta make the climb.”

“Just listen for the signal.”

“I don’t think I can do this,” Kupra said, looking up the shaft.

“Yes, you can,” Allera said. “I’ll be right behind you, don’t worry.”

“It’s not so bad,” Setarcos said, looking up the shaft. “The slope isn’t quite vertical, and the shaft is rough, with lots of handholds.”

“All right,” Talen said, checking his gear one last time. “I’m ready.”

“Good luck,” Allera said.

The captain nodded and entered the shaft. The rope trailed up after him, uncoiling steadily. Setarcos remained in the shaft, watching after him, although the twists in the tunnel made him impossible to see after about fifteen minutes.

The first rope approached the end of its length; Dar fastened the second to the end of the first. He tied Talen’s pack to the end of the second rope, along with the heavy bronze bowl.

“We don’t want to lose that,” Varo said.

“I know, I know,” the fighter said, without looking up.

The second rope had only gone through about half its length when Setarcos indicated that he’d felt a tug. The monk started up, and Kupra moved into position, prodded by Allera.

They made their way up. After Kupra, Allera got the tug, and went up. Dar and Varo shared a look. “After you, warrior,” the cleric said.

“No, I’ll be last. What? I’m a better climber than you, and stronger. And if the bees decide they want to mess with us after all, I’m better equipped to handle them.”

Varo looked at him. “Very well. Good luck, Dar.”

“Just get up there. We’re leaving.”

“Of course.”

Varo got the signal and climbed up, leaving Dar alone. Varo had taken Aelos’s staff, slinging it through loops across his back. The fighter remained at the base of the shaft, holding onto the rope, listening to the buzzing of the bees.

Finally, the rope tugged on his grasp.

The mercenary made his way up.

The climb was difficult, especially with the darkness, and since Dar hadn’t taken off his own armor, or left his heavily laden pack. But Setarcos had been right about the handholds, and the fighter made his way up to where the first segment of rope met the second without difficulty. There were occasional ledges, and he paused to pull up the end of the rope, leaving Talen’s pack and Varo’s damned bowl there before pressing up further.

A few minutes after that, he heard a faint tap from above. He waited. A minute passed, and then he could hear something crawling down the shaft. He couldn’t see it, but he could smell it coming closer.

“Damned bees,” he muttered, wrapping the rope around his bracer, and pushing himself into a niche in the side of the shaft. He drew his punching dagger.

The bee drew closer, until its smell was overwhelming. Dar felt something soft brush his arm, and he tensed... but then it was past, the sounds of its passage receding. Dar let out a breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding.

A short distance further, and the shaft straightened, heading upward at about a seventy-five degree angle. He hardly needed to use the rope now, and paused to drag up the end of the rope and its burdens. The bowl made a loud clanking noise on the rock with each tug; he’d wrapped a blanket around it, but apparently it had come loose.

“If the rope breaks, there’s no way I’m going down after it,” he muttered to himself. “Damned priests and their magic...”

But the bowl made it up without mishap, and he laid it in a secure niche before pressing on. He could see a light up ahead, and soon Varo’s face, illuminated in the glow of the continual flame. It took him only a few minutes to reach him; the shaft leveled out there, and opened onto what looked like a cave just beyond.

“The bowl?” the cleric asked.

“Yeah, good to see you to,” Dar said. He gave the rope a tug. “You can pull it up the rest of the way.” He made his way past the cleric, into the cave.

A cool breeze met his nostrils, and for a moment he just stood there, breathing deeply. “Hey, where is everybody?” he asked.

“Up here,” came Allera’s voice from ahead.

He moved around a bend in the cave, and then he saw the most welcome sight he could remember seeing in his life.

Stars.

He crawled forward—the end of the cave had a low ceiling—and emerged on a rocky slope blanketed in dense brush. Talen, Setarcos, and Kupra were there with Allera, standing in the darkness together in shared silence.

They’d made it.

They’d escaped Rappan Athuk.

Nightbreeze

First Post
Mmmh...too easy :D

Now they get ambushed by some rogues or the imperial guards.

Darn, I want to run Rappan Attuk with my players, but I can't do it until this storyhour finishes :(

Remove ads