The Doomed Bastards: Reckoning (story complete)

wolff96

First Post
It might still leave the demons, but it would be one HELL (pardon the pun) of a turn-around in the fight. I don't care how tough those undead actually are, most of them would get popped even by the half-damage on a successful save.

And I don't know if Healers get Mass Heal then or not. I never bought that particular suppliment.

CrusadeDave

First Post
wolff96 said:
It might still leave the demons, but it would be one HELL (pardon the pun) of a turn-around in the fight. I don't care how tough those undead actually are, most of them would get popped even by the half-damage on a successful save.

And I don't know if Healers get Mass Heal then or not. I never bought that particular suppliment.

Since the Miniatures Handbook was a 3.0 supplement, I suspect it is an 8th level spell for Allera. Is there any 8th level spell on her list that's worth preparing instead?

Of course if Lazybones was really powergaming Allera's build, she'd have already taken a level in Contemplative for the extra Domain spells added to her spell list. I would think Celestial, Glory, or Purification would all be pretty good for her. I think Allera casting Hero's Blade on Valor for Dar would be pretty cool (Deathless 9) but can't figure out a way to get her the spell.

Lazybones

Adventurer
jensun said:
It looks bad but I suspect this might be our first Mass Heal moment. Do Healers get it as an 8th level spell?
Indeed they do.
Neverwinter Knight said:
That would still leave the demons. Good thing Nelan is distracting the Nalfeshnee.
We'll find out what happened to him on Monday.

Regarding healers, their high-level spell selection is pretty sparse, but what they do, they do better than just about anybody. Of course, against anything but undead, they have almost no offensive capability at all. Luckily for them, Rappan Athuk has no shortage of undead...

Chapter 300

THE LIGHT

Allera drifted in a calm space in the midst of chaos. Her concentration was like a razor’s edge, as she drew in more and more holy power into herself.

In the aftermath of their defeat at the hands of the ghoul army at Derber’s Point, Allera had sought out solitude to reflect. She had wandered the streets of Camar’s Gold Quarter, and had ended up in the grove of Camarellia. The place was deserted, and Allera had been struck by a calm melancholy as she’d walked through the park, looking at the skeletal trees and bushes, the browned fields of grass, the empty beds that bore only dead scraps, now. At one time, this place had been alive with growth, and Allera had spent hours upon hours here, just absorbing the bloom of life and energy, the laughter and smiles of the people who came here seeking relief from the endless stone and wood and noise and smells of the city.

She had found a bench, and sat alone in the dead park. But as she had contemplated, she realized that her initial perceptions had been mistaken.

Camarellia, like Camar itself, was not dead. Both were dormant, and under fierce attack by an enemy that would see all life crushed before it.

But life, Allera knew, was determined. It found a way to survive, to persist, to grow.

On her way out of the park, she had found a flower, a winter starbloom, half-concealed under a scraggled, barren bush. She had knelt there, appreciating its beauty, for some time.

Her thoughts were now of that flower, and of the power it represented, as Allera drew upon more healing energy than she had ever channeled before. She soaked up that power until she felt as though her very existence would be torn asunder before it, for there was a limit to what mortal flesh could absorb. She felt the suffering around her acutely, and the tormented existence of the creatures all around felt like rough scabs upon her perceptions. Her eyes were closed, but each of them flared in her consciousness like a red beacon. Each, a violation.

Finally, with a cry of release, she released the power.

The mass heal spell blasted outward like a tidal wave of sheer power. Undead creatures flared with blue fire, and were blasted into ashes. Each of her companions was filled with that power, and their wounds closed, their suffering eased. Balance returned, and Allera felt giddy with it as the surge ended. She felt a rush of heat, but that came from outside her, not from within. She did not see it, but that came from a fireball that Honoratius had detonated right on top of their position, shaping the spell to leave a hollow center where the companions remained unaffected. The undead, weakened by Allera’s holy pulse, were obliterated.

Allera opened her eyes, and blinked against the light.

The undead horde that had been swarming all around them a moment ago was just... gone. The ground around them in a circle thirty feet across was covered in the charred remains of creatures, and flecks of ash danced around them in the wind. A few undead, those that had grappled with the companions or gotten inside their defensive ring, were still intact, but their flesh was blackened from the impact of Allera’s spell, and they were slain within a few moments. A few gargoyles fluttered overhead, heavily scorched and confused, but those too quickly succumbed to a barrage of magic missiles and scorching rays. The demons were gone, having fled before the display of raw power.

The knights drew off their helmets, and looked at Allera with awe.

“Impressive,” Honoratius said, with a slight nod of deference. Allera felt unsteady, and for a moment she thought she might fall.

And then Dar was there, crushing her into his embrace, and reality returned in a rush, and she sucked in a breath, overcome.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Thanks, wolff! Just a short update tonight; I didn't want to squeeze this scene and the next into a single chapter.

Chapter 301

THE FATE OF THE CLERIC

Nelan felt a soft warmth grasp him within the black, and gently ease him back into consciousness. He opened his eyes, and found himself staring into the calm, otherworldly stare of the astral deva he’d summoned via his planar ally spell that morning.

“The others?” he asked.

“None are present here,” the angel replied. The winged youth offered him a hand as he pulled himself up from the knot of scraggly brush and jutting rocks into which he’d fallen. He flexed his injured arm; the pain was already just a memory, purged by the deva’s potent healing abilities.

“The demon could have finished me off easily,” he said.

“I believe that the nalfeshnee’s objective was to prevent anyone from reaching Rappan Athuk,” the angel said. “It departed here in haste once it had dispelled your wind walk. I imagine that it is hunting the others in your group.”

“Did you see what happened to the man who was accompanying me?”

“I neither saw him fall, nor detected him in the immediate area.”

Nelan nodded. “Search the area; see if any others survived the demon’s assault. If any did, please direct them to my location. I will be heading south.” He gestured toward the mass of clouds which filled the horizon in that direction.

“I can transport you there directly now, if you prefer.”

“First check on the others. There may be some who are gravely wounded, and require aid.”

The deva nodded. “As you command.” It lifted into the air, and headed southwest, vanishing over the hills within moments.

Nelan looked up the rough, craggy hillside that stretched before him. The terrain to the west and east didn’t look much easier.

With a sigh, he picked up his mace and started to climb.

Richard Rawen

First Post
Ahhhh.... a very satisfying read in catching up this last weeks posts. As others have praised, I will reiterate, your storytelling continues to captivate and we are most blessed by your wordcraft.
Looking forward to Varo's return to the scene, and of course... Talen's as well.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Richard Rawen said:
Looking forward to Varo's return to the scene, and of course... Talen's as well.
Oh, they're around somewhere. ;)

Chapter 302

PREPARATIONS FOR THE PIT

After the grueling experience of their initial welcome to Rappan Athuk, the companions decided to withdraw and rest before essaying the dark pit in the center of the valley. Nelan and his contingent had not yet appeared, and they needed to see if there was still a way to bring the reinforcements that waited in Camar to their current location. Honoratius would report on their encounter here and Nelan’s absence when he returned to his own body in the tower of the Guild of Sorcery.

The archmage remained with them just long enough for them to retreat into the hills, seeking out one of the secure campsites they had used in the past. Of course, as Alderis pointed out, physical security meant little against foes that could teleport at a thought, without chance of error.

Honoratius promised to do what she could; the archmage possessed a spell that could create a more defensible extradimensional shelter, but she had not had the available spell slots to take it this day. Instead she conjured a secure shelter and set several alarm spells about its perimeter outside. Then, sagging visibly, the magus departed Letellia’s body.

“The strain... it has cost him,” Letellia said, once she had recovered from the transition.

“There is nothing I can do for him now,” Allera said. “He knows the risk he is taking, and yet he chooses to make the sacrifice needed.”

“Yeah, we’ve all got it rough,” Dar said, heading into the cabin. “At least he gets to go home every night.”

Alderis’s suggestion that a demon could materialize within the shelter at any time was unnerving to all of them, but that did not stop the elf from collapsing into his bunk. His shield guardian remained outside, watching for intruders.

“Do you think that the demons will attack?” Zahera asked Dar, as the fighter unrolled a length of sausage from his pack.

“It’s what I would do,” he replied. “We’ll keep three on watch at all times; it’s more important that the spell-slingers sleep first. Everyone else, on shifts. Keep your weapons handy.”

“I don’t know that I can sleep,” Marcus said. “That battle... I thought we were all doomed.”

“We are,” Dar replied, fixing the young cleric with a hard look. The cleric swallowed. “I don’t care if you’re tired or not, get some sleep. Don’t worry, we’ll wake you if the demons come to visit.”

But before he could obey, Xenos called out from one of the windows. “Someone’s coming!”

Everyone but Alderis filed out of the cabin. They saw it, coming from the east. It was Nelan, born aloft by a white horse that sprouted broad, golden wings. The pegasus swept low, spreading its wings to catch the air as it landed a few yards away.

“What took you so long?” Dar asked, as the magical horse transformed back into the deva’s other alternate form, that of a young, perfectly-formed human. “And where are the others?”

“Dead, all of them,” Nelan said. “We were attacked by a powerful demon. It cut through us like old wheat.”

“We had some trouble of our own,” Dar said.

“Honoratius’s scrying was fooled by some magic,” Allera explained. “There was a whole army of undead and demons waiting for us.”

“Was?”

“Yeah, what’s left of it you can scoop up with a shovel,” Dar said. “But some demons got away, so we’re expecting trouble.”

Nelan glanced around, and peered through the nearest window of the cabin. “Where are the others?”

“We’re it,” Dar said. “Some sort of lock, the wizard said. We got in, but couldn’t get back out. Don’t worry about it, Honoratius has already gone back to tell them what we’ve run into.”

“But the mission...”

“Tomorrow. The spellcasters need to regain their spells, and that includes you, I guess. Get inside and grab a bunk.”

“There are some hours left to my term of service,” the deva said. “I will watch over your sleep, and ensure that you are not disturbed.” His form shimmered again, and his wings sprouted from his back. Rising into the air, he vanished from view, cloaked in invisibility.

“You do that,” Dar said, after him. “That friend of yours, he wasn’t any good against the demon?”

“The celestial saved my life. It is very powerful, but it cannot teleport instantaneously like the demons can. That is how the creature got ahead of us, and took us down one by one.”

“Well, we can use his help tomorrow.”

Nelan shook his head. “I cannot summon celestial aid within Rappan Athuk, nor bring such a creature compacted without inside.”

“What? Why the hell not?”

“That was what I was told, when I called Zadkiel to service,” Nelan said. “I do not know the reason for the restriction.”

“Maybe the servants of the Father quail before the power of the Demon,” Alexion said.

“Do not question the motives of the Father,” Tullus replied. Marcus likewise looked discomfited by the knight’s suggestion.

“All right, it doesn’t matter,” Dar said. “As always, we’re on our own here, so get in and get some sleep while you can. I have a feeling that tomorrow going to be a real long freaking day.”

They returned into the shelter, while above them to the south, the dark clouds roiled angrily in a neverending swirl over Rappan Athuk.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 303

NIGHT WATCH

The night descended upon the hills surrounding Rappan Athuk like a blanket. The sky above was an inky blackness save for a faintly luminescent knot that hovered over the site of the Dungeon of Graves. The cold wind that had blown all day intensified as the day faded, whistling as it rushed around the squat and artificial obstacle that had been summoned by magic into the midst of the hills.

Nelan slid out the door of the secure shelter, careful to close it behind him before the omnipresent winds could blast it wide open. A hulking, dark form loomed over him in the darkness near the entry, and he started before he realized that it was Alderis’s shield guardian, keeping silent vigil over them.

Peering into the near-darkness, the cleric started forward, stumbling once or twice on the loose stones.

“You should be resting, Nelan,” came a voice from nearby. Nelan turned toward the sound, only then noting the dark shadow that sat against a jutting boulder a few paces distant.

“I have already prayed for my spells from the Father, and he has granted them,” Nelan said, shivering slightly in the cold night air. “And in any case, I find that I cannot sleep easily right after a meal. Age wreaks havoc with the digestive process.”

“Time has the last laugh on all of us,” Dar said.

Nelan glanced up, searching the dark sky above.

“He’s still there,” Dar said. “Said he’d remain up there until morning, when we were ready to go.”

“The celestial spoke to you?”

“Yeah, but we didn’t exactly have a conversation.” There was a slight sound of metal on stone as the fighter shifted on his perch, and Nelan could almost feel the man’s gaze shifting away from him. The cleric didn’t say anything for a moment, letting the calm of the night—a false calm, to his senses—play about him. The wind whipped at his cloak, forcing him to hold it against him with his hand.

“Something on your mind, Nelan?”

“After what’s happened... I just wanted to ask you, about our mission.”

For a moment, the fighter did not speak, and Nelan wondered if the other man had heard him over the wind. He finally opened his mouth to say something else, when Dar started talking.

“It wasn’t that long ago, when we were here last. You remember, cleric? ‘The last camp’, we called it. It might have been within this very dell—these hills all look the freaking same to me. We buried that dead hero here, and moved into Rappan Athuk the next day.”

“I remember,” Nelan said.

“Talen was in charge... he was born to lead, that one. He was responsible for taking down the Duke, did you know that? I was just a freaking sword-for-sale, he took over after Tiros’s death—the man had some balls, no doubting it. Led a team into Rappan Athuk to recover the marshall.”

“It’s not your fault, what happened to him.”

“I didn’t say it was, priest. He knew the risks, we all did. We were all on freaking borrowed time, still are. Rappan Athuk doesn’t play by the rules and it doesn’t give a damn for odds. Though I am going to cut that wizard’s head off if we run into him again. Freaking Zafir Navev.”

Nelan didn’t respond, and the silence stretched out again for almost a minute.

“Gods, I didn’t ask for this crap.” There was a loud scrape as he rose. “Come on, sitting outside in the dark isn’t going to solve anything. Assuming the demons don’t come for us in the night, we’re going to have a full day tomorrow.”

“And the mission?”

“The mission is the same as it was before. Being short-handed doesn’t change that.”

There was a conclusion in Dar’s voice, and he started to walk past the cleric, but something prodded Nelan to push again. “And if we find the portal to Orcus’s demiplane? What do we do then?”

Dar stopped, and while he could not see the other man’s face, Nelan could feel the weight of his stare. “One way or another, this is going to freaking end here, Nelan. One way or another.”

The fighter turned and walked away, vanishing into the dark, his bootsteps fading as he moved back to the secure shelter. As the fighter’s presence retreated, Nelan felt the night surging in all around him, and imagined that there were dark things within that inky expanse, claws poised to rend his flesh.

Shuddering, the cleric hastened after the fighter, leaving the night to the darkness and the wind.

Last edited:

Lazybones

Adventurer
He is fun to write. :)

Chapter 304

ONE LAST TIME

The air was thick with moisture, and the stench of rot. The shaft’s wall glistened, and when one of the companions brushed against them, they came away sticky with some sort of resinous secretion.

They went down slowly, cautiously, dropping hand-over-hand along the thick ropes that they’d brought in Letellia’s pouch of holding. The mages drifted alongside them, magical flight easing their passage, but they remained close to the ropes, in case more demons appeared and disrupted their magic. Alderis had already scouted out the shaft, which appeared to be clear to its bottom, but none of them were going to take any chances. His shield guardian rode down first by way of a feather fall spell, and waited for them patiently at the bottom.

Dar finally touched down at the bottom of the shaft. He carried an everburning torch, and used it to scan the immediate environs. The light brightened as Nelan joined them, the daylight he’d cast on his shield driving back the darkness a full sixty feet. But there was nothing to see; the tunnel that led away to the east was empty.

“It appears that the tunnel echoes the original construction of the complex,” Honoratius said. “Just bored out to a greater size.”

“I hope we don’t meet whatever did the boring,” Zahera said, wrinkling her nose at the stench.

“The smell... it is... like a sewer,” Tullus said, holding a cloth over his face.

“It gets worse,” Dar said, lifting his torch in one hand, Valor in the other, as he started down the passage.

“Are you all right?” Allera asked Honoratius, as the archmage drifted down and floated into the line behind the knights. He had returned to Letellia’s body after their rest, but the healer could see the strain that had come over the sorceress’s expression once the magical transposition had taken hold. Since then, she had carried herself as though made of glass, with deliberate movements that belied the youth and vigor of the host body.

The archmage turned and favored her with a wan smile. “I am well,” she said. “I merely wish to return my niece’s body to her in the same condition that she donated it to me.”

The passage culminated in the entrance to Rappan Athuk that the Doomed Bastards had now used several times. The pit that had been here before had been replaced by a rough slope, and the doorway at the bottom had been replaced by a more or less featureless passage. They could still see places where the original stonework remained, and occasionally the ends of timbers or jagged stone blocks jutted out from places where the tunnel had been widened.

The others caught up to Dar and the knights at the first fork. Here, the complex was mostly as it had been on their last visit, with the left passage leading to a mostly-collapsed chamber, a dead-end where they’d once bypassed the dung monster. To the right lay additional rooms, and their eventual destination. The doorway had been widened, the supporting timbers sundered and a wide swath taken out of the surrounding walls, but the way was clear.

“Keep a look out,” Dar warned. The fighter led the way, and the others had to hasten to keep his pace.

They lacked a scout, in Shay’s absence. There had been several trained scouts in the cohort that had been supposed to reinforce them today, but it appeared as though no allies would be reaching them via magical means. Honoratius had used her arcane sight to detect the source of the interference with their magical transportion; she had reported that the unnatural storm was like a huge reverse funnel, fed by the gaping hole in the center of the valley of Rappan Athuk. She had posited that whatever was blocking them was selective; clearly it had not hindered the demons in any way. Most of their extra-dimensional spells and powers seemed to function; Dar’s magical quiver and Honoratius’s pouch of holding both functioned normally. As a test, the arcanist had successfully opened a dimension door, traveling across the vale where there secure shelter had been erected. But an attempt to teleport back to Camar not only failed, it resulted in a backlash that had nearly knocked the archmage unconscious.

“But how did we get in in the first place?” Allera had asked.

“There is an intelligence at work here, cunning, adaptive. I would not be surprised if it proved able to adjust to neutralize other tactics that we might utilize.”

“We’ll see,” Dar had said.

When Honoratius had rejoined them the next morning, the archmage had reported that Tiros and Jaduran had decided against sending more men via wind walk to rendezvous with them. Clearly Orcus had anticipated that stratagem, and it was likely that the demon that Nelan had encountered was still warding the aerial approaches to the valley. Tiros had told them that the columns force-marching from Camar would reach Highbluff in a few days, and would then proceed at once southward to Rappan Athuk. By the time that the army reached the Dragonmarsh Lowlands, the ships of the Camarian and Razhuri fleets should have already reached the region, and they would be bringing supplies and reinforcements from a beachhead fifteen miles east of the dungeon. With what had already happened, and the obvious fact that their foe was waiting for them, Tiros had not ordered Dar to press on with the few forces he had at his disposal. But he hadn’t had to; Dar could count days on a calendar.

They made their way deeper into the complex of rooms. When they came to a staircase rough-hewn from the stone, Dar pointed out the missing step where he’d snagged his foot on their first visit. That had been a few months and a lifetime ago. They passed the pit where they’d trapped the dung monster, and the tunnel to the north where Ukas had lost his life. Dar did not linger over old memories, and led them straight on to the south. Allera rushed ahead to catch him, pressing between the silent forms of Alexion and Xenos, who followed him like shadows.

“Dar, wait a moment, please.”

The fighter turned, and for a moment Allera was surprised to see something in his eyes, a focus that was almost frightening. Then he seemed to recognize her, and that look faded. He glanced back, and saw that the others had fallen behind; Tullus was flagging, and was being helped by Marcus, while Alderis drifted in the rear alongside his shield guardian, which had been slowed some in navigating the stairs and the pit.

Dar nodded, and waited for everyone to catch up.

“You’ve all been briefed on what we encountered this way before, and the route that Honoratius has sketched out. The route down to the first temple is open now, but we’ll be taking the river down to the second temple.”

“The river clearance is pretty tight, right, sir?” Alexion asked

“Yeah, at places. But Nelan’s spell will keep you from getting too wet, knight.”

“I was thinking more about if we were attacked while on the river, sir.”

“Yeah, well, if that happens, just poke that sticker of yours into the nearest demon, and keep doing that until it stops moving. Any other questions? All right, let’s get going.”

They made their way to the end of the tunnel, which had been a tight fit, before. Now the opening into the river cavern was a huge, gaping hole. Even Alderis’s shield guardian did not need to duck to enter.

As Nelan’s shield filled the cavern with daylight, the companions came to an abrupt halt.

“Well, that’s new,” Dar said.

They stared at a huge... thing, which squatted in the middle of the cavern, near the bank of the river. It looked like a statue at first glance, its bloated, hideous form instantly recognizable to those of them who had spent time in Rappan Athuk before. The goat-horns of the thing didn’t quite touch the ceiling, but its sheer mass made Alderis’s construct seem tiny by comparison, even though the representation of the Demon was only a few feet taller. The thing lacked legs, its lower body bulging out in a fat mass that splayed out across the floor. Their light glistened on its substance, and as they watched, sick pustules of filth trickled down its frame, adding to a slick mess of filth gathered around its base.

A smell so foul that it hit them like a physical blow washed over them. Tullus bent over and voided his stomach, and even the stalwart knights looked pale.

“That thing... it’s made of crap!” Xenos exclaimed.

“No,” Dar said. “No... we killed it...”

With an ugly, noisome sucking sound, the mound of filth shaped like Orcus shifted. At first it seemed like it was coming apart under its own weight, but then it rose, its fat body rising on legs that seemed to grow out of its mass.

The companions watched in horror as the fecal-demon stared down at them. Then it took a step forward.

The dung monster, given new life and form by the will of Orcus, attacked.

Last edited:

Remove ads