The Dragoon (Heroic Tier)

Kupo24z

First Post
Looking over the at-wills, it seems Piercing thrust seems a little weak, hitting only for 1W and only dealing your dex mod if you have momentum, most of the other at-wills have +str mod already attached to the hit, and have additional effects for the momentum, including the op spinning strike, which even targets reflex, which is normally lower than AC

Does Boost+Jump provoke AoO?

Last edited:

El Coro

First Post
[MENTION=31096]ku[/MENTION]po

I've recently changed some of the powers, though I haven't uploaded a new PDF - one of the changes is that Piercing Strike gets a +2 to the attack roll (explaining the lower damage), though using it with momentum adds your Dexterity modifier to the damage. The idea is that it's a precise but weaker attack, though you can get it close to normal damage if you have momentum.

As for Leap, it does provoke opportunity attacks as normal, though choosing Skyward Focus currently gives you a bonus against OA while using it.

The idea is to keep the OA possibility so that placement and movement takes some thought and might have a penalty, but to give a bonus against OAs so that you have an advantage against that penalty if you choose the more mobile build.

Boost has been changed to not provoke OAs, since it's a limited-use ability. So you can now use Boost + anything and not incur an OA for using Boost while being right next to your target.

El Coro

First Post
Updated many of the powers, wording, momentum damage, and added 10 feats. Working on paragon paths right now and hopefully will have them up later this weekend. Enjoy!

Reydragk

First Post
I've been thinking about putting together a Dragoon class for a while now, because I wasn't happy with any of the homebrew ones I had seen so far...I no longer feel the need to waste my time making one, as yours is AWESOME. I love the momentum mechanic, it's the first implementation of Jump/Leap/etc. on a homebrew Dragoon class that really feels like it does what it's supposed to do.

I eagerly look forward to the next update

Kupo24z

First Post
I am currently playtesting this without the drake companion in a Dark Sun campaign. We worked it out to where every 10ft jumped I add 1W in place of the drake companion. Still do around the same damage as other strikers, just at half the powers available to choose from :)

El Coro

First Post
[MENTION=77155]Kupo24z[/MENTION]

Interesting! Did you find that the dragoon did too little damage otherwise? (without the 1W per 2 squares bonus).

I ask because losing the drake companion shouldn't actually lose any DPS, as you must spend a standard action to make it attack each turn (it doesn't get a free attack, though it does get a free move).

Please let me know how your experiment turns out! One of my players is using the dragoon and rarely ever uses the drake attacks, but still does damage on par with the other strikers (well maybe a little less, but that's a small trade-off IMO for being so mobile), so I'm curious to see how your +1[W] bonus scales as you level up.

Thanks for the feedback, and hope you're enjoying it!

Kupo24z

First Post
[MENTION=77155]Kupo24z[/MENTION]

Interesting! Did you find that the dragoon did too little damage otherwise? (without the 1W per 2 squares bonus).

I ask because losing the drake companion shouldn't actually lose any DPS, as you must spend a standard action to make it attack each turn (it doesn't get a free attack, though it does get a free move).

Please let me know how your experiment turns out! One of my players is using the dragoon and rarely ever uses the drake attacks, but still does damage on par with the other strikers (well maybe a little less, but that's a small trade-off IMO for being so mobile), so I'm curious to see how your +1[W] bonus scales as you level up.

Thanks for the feedback, and hope you're enjoying it!

We mainly added it because of the big difficulty change Dark Sun is, but without the drake you do loose a bit of combat advantage options, which we try to make up for in raw damage. Also, its 10ft over your leap distance, add 1W, basically rewarding you for rolling high athletics.

Also, Goliaths are pretty awesome for this build, double rolling every jump is very good.

Last edited:

El Coro

First Post
I see. Are you making Athletics rolls for Leap and Boost then? I ask because the powers themselves are basically "automatic" jumps that succeed up to a certain distance without requiring a roll (seems silly to be able to fail a simple jump when that's your whole thing, you know?).

Remove ads