The Dungeons and Dragons film: Calls for shameless fan service

Kids, if you aren't in this thread to participate in the premise, why are you here? I get it. I want the film to be good to. But let's look at comic movies. The ones that work best are ones that balance embracing the source material while using the medium of film to tell stories only a film can. Not some joyless slog that takes the material too seriously. A DnD film that plays the material completely straight and serious is the surest way for it to be dull. See the most recent Mortal Kombat attempt. And yet, that too had fan service. ALL fandom films will have fan service. I saw the first DnD film. In Theatres. It was terrible. But at least I got to mark out a bit at the nods to the game I love.

Ryujin

Legend
Kids, if you aren't in this thread to participate in the premise, why are you here? I get it. I want the film to be good to. But let's look at comic movies. The ones that work best are ones that balance embracing the source material while using the medium of film to tell stories only a film can. Not some joyless slog that takes the material too seriously. A DnD film that plays the material completely straight and serious is the surest way for it to be dull. See the most recent Mortal Kombat attempt. And yet, that too had fan service. ALL fandom films will have fan service. I saw the first DnD film. In Theatres. It was terrible. But at least I got to mark out a bit at the nods to the game I love.
I think that the best way to do a D&D movie with good fan service has already been done, starting 20 years ago, by Dead Gentlemen Productions. Show the players playing the game and then their characters, in-game. You could start out showing the players and character introductions, then make the rest of the movie in-game.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I'd like to see fight scenes showing the "pop-up healing" effect.
Bonus points if they can actually make it make logical sense.

Last edited:

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I need the sound of dice being rolled on a table dropped into the sound mix somewhere, even if no dice are present. Just mixed into some other sound effect will do (maybe tumbling rocks or rubble), but apparent enough for an attentive listener.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
A relatively unexperienced wizard getting burned in his own fireball effect.
One or more members of the party being sucked into the astral plane because of an extradimensional space item mishap.
A lightning bolt spell that ricochets.
A roguish character being in an area where there should be no way he can't be badly injured by an explosion walking away unscathed.

Remove ads