• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dungeons & Dragons Virtual Table

If it's better then GameTable, maybe it will be fine. I am skeptical, but the fact that they were working on 2 (3?) applications actually instead of just one might make me see things in a more positive light. Still not a good decision to do that. Polishing the Online CB (and monster BUilder even?) to 100 % quality would make more sense to me.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
I can see the PR folks scrambling and then "Hey look! Bright and shiny thing over here, look!" and suddenly people turn their attention away from the CB and to the new VT! Marvelous!

Timing on the announcement strikes me as dubious.
I think the timing is meant to coincide with the recent release of the online CB, but I don't think it's a reaction to it's lukewarm reception. Rather, I think everyone involved knew that the change to online only wasn't going to go over well. So they planed to announce the change, implement it, and then announce the beta for the VTT.

Scribble

First Post
Again, I understand the perceived need to play a constant game of CYA, but I think they could have loosened their belts just a *smidge* on this one. =/

It's neither.

If you look at the FAQ you'll see everything it talks about is what it currently IS and is not, and not what it will be, or might be.

It's a good way to do it. They're not being completely silent, but they're also not boasting with "promises" they're simply telling you what the current situation is.

Stoat

Adventurer
Honestly it looks like a mapping / tile tool with some added features, and a step back from the ideas and form behind the original 3d VTT (for better or for worse).

I prefer a top-down 2d display to the 3d version WotC was talking about. Not only do I think it looks better, I think it makes it more likely that WotC will allow users to use custom maps and tokens.

Hell, the announcement's not even three hours old and already there are people declaring they aren't going to use it unless Features X, Y & Z are a part of it.

The fact is there are a half-dozen or so different VTT's currently available at prices ranging from free to cheap. If those VTT's are already offering Features X, Y & Z, WotC will need to do the same to compete.

Last edited:

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Edit: to add that they don't have to blab, but they should be talking to their customers, beta test is far to late a stage to find out that your customers will hate what you've produced.
This edit changes my answer substantially.

There's talking to your customers via press releases or other public announcements, and then there's market research. The problem with public announcements is that the feedback isn't as complete as Wizards might need to make the product better. For example, the feedback might be overly positive (hard to believe sometimes, but true) or overly negative. Also, many things Wizards might want to know before going forward on something may not be addressed by customers talking off the cuff.

As for a beta test being far to late to get feedback, I disagree wholeheartedly. First, it's always easier to get feedback on something concrete than abstract. Second, given that two people have already posted that they knew about this, it seems likely that they have gotten feedback on the program, but not from the public at large, which is the best way to go about doing things, I think.

Why? Because any statement or question from a company is going to be examined from the perspective of an announcement of a possible (or actual) product or service from potential customers. People will start forming opinions on the product immediately and possibly buying decisions. You don't want people to hate your product based on an announcement particularly when you don't have a product to point to and promote.

Many companies like Apple and Google don't announce products until they're ready to either ship, or in some kind of open beta. (Google in particular is famous for long beta testing periods.)

BobTheNob

First Post
Oh, that doesn't matter... folks here on ENWorld will be bitching about it regardless of what happens when it comes out. ;)

Hell, the announcement's not even three hours old and already there are people declaring they aren't going to use it unless Features X, Y & Z are a part of it.

WotC just can't Win. Or even Place or Show with some people. LOL.
Hey I didnt complain with the CB. I dont think it was a disaster at all and thoroughly look forward to when a few of the kinks are ironed out. I actually think it is a very promising tool.

That said, yes, I will let WOTC know what things would prevent me using this new offering. Fact is, we are already using VTT software (which I wrote and maintain), but an "official" offering with direct 4e support may win me over.

So I will let WOTC know what my feature X, Y and Z are, so they have a chance to consider work vs reward and whether or not to get said feature in.

Im not going to direct my nerd rage at them at all, Im not going to flame or make pointless threats. If they choose to implement the features our group needs, great. If they dont, I wont use it, and out group stays with current setup. No harm, no foul.

Do you think WOTC doesnt want to know what features the community desires?

knifie_sp00nie

First Post
Anybody notice that it's written in Java and not Silverlight? That probably means the work was farmed out. I might even speculate that they forked or licensed the code for Maptool, which is already mature and written in java. The screenshot looks like it could be Maptool with a custom UI.

darjr

I crit!
This edit changes my answer substantially.

There's talking to your customers via press releases or other public announcements, and then there's market research. The problem with public announcements is that the feedback isn't as complete as Wizards might need to make the product better. For example, the feedback might be overly positive (hard to believe sometimes, but true) or overly negative. Also, many things Wizards might want to know before going forward on something may not be addressed by customers talking off the cuff.

As for a beta test being far to late to get feedback, I disagree wholeheartedly. First, it's always easier to get feedback on something concrete than abstract. Second, given that two people have already posted that they knew about this, it seems likely that they have gotten feedback on the program, but not from the public at large, which is the best way to go about doing things, I think.

Why? Because any statement or question from a company is going to be examined from the perspective of an announcement of a possible (or actual) product or service from potential customers. People will start forming opinions on the product immediately and possibly buying decisions. You don't want people to hate your product based on an announcement particularly when you don't have a product to point to and promote.

Many companies like Apple and Google don't announce products until they're ready to either ship, or in some kind of open beta. (Google in particular is famous for long beta testing periods.)

I do get that.

Specifically, the clamming up after the first VTT debacle was what they shouldn't have done. The silence while 4e was being developed and tested was the wrong way to go. All in my own opinion, of coarse. I do think that they are trying to not clam up and keep the lines of communications going even in the light of the latest heat.

See mudbunny's actions during this whole thing. More of WotC should be like that. In the midst of the storm he's doing yeoman's work.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
To the best of my knowledge, the plan for the VT is to gradually introduce features in the beta testing. My guess (and this is a complete guess, based on no knkowledge and requiring no tapdancing) is that the first part will involve them working out the connection issues as well as the functionality, like DM tools, player tools, etc. The next phase will involve communication with the Character Builder. And then communication with the web-based Monster Builder. (You *did* catch that in the FAQ...right??). Finally they will open it up to stress testing with lots and lots of people before they push it gold.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Anybody notice that it's written in Java and not Silverlight? That probably means the work was farmed out. I might even speculate that they forked or licensed the code for Maptool, which is already mature and written in java. The screenshot looks like it could be Maptool with a custom UI.

If they did this, I would applaud them. I don't know anything about intellectual property or the license under which MapTool is released, but if it's "free software" then I think WotC would be SMART to take that successful framework and build upon it.

Mind you, I'm guessing that's not what they've actually done, but their programmers would have to be idiots to not look at the successful virtual table top programs out there for ideas about the best ways to handle various issues.

Me, I'm just hoping to get an invitation to the beta at some point! I'm a DDI subscriber and I run a weekly game in MapTool. I'd love to kick the tires on the new program to see how it works and to offer my input on how to improve it.

Remove ads