• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dwarves of Demrel: full-length steampunk fantasy movie

Dan Davenport

Hardboiled GMshoe
Greenland, Michigan, April 22, 2015 — Plastic Tree Productions presents The Dwarves of Demrel – a live-action full-length film combining thrilling fantasy and steampunk elements with intense character-driven drama.

Synopsis: A collapse imprisons three dwarven miners, forcing them to collectively combat starvation, despair, and a mysterious creature. Further complications arise when one of the dwarves learns of their shared morbid fate and must choose between revealing the truth… or preserving hope.

The film will be shot entirely on location in Greenland, Michigan at the privately owned "Adventure Mine". Largely untouched since serving as a copper mine in the late 1800s, its vast caverns and ever-winding tunnels will aid in giving the fantastical dwarven mine a sense of scope and realism on an independant production’s budget.

"The Dwarves of Demrel is a film that I’ve always wanted to see," said writer/director Christopher Raney. "It’s also a reaction against what I’m tired of seeing. This film is a character driven, rather than spectacle driven, fantasy piece. It takes the genre, and although delivering key expectations, says to the audience, let’s slow this down. What would a dwarf do if he had no where to go? What do they talk about? What are their vices and passions? It’s the notion that everything in a fantastical world doesn’t have to have global consequences. Instead, The Dwarves of Demrel will explore these more nuanced moments of life, while simultaneously engaging audiences with the immediacy of their survival."

The Dwarves of Demrel is currently running a Kickstarter campaign until Wednesday, May 20th, 2015 and have already hit 30% of their intended goal. The film’s anticipated release is Spring 2016.

The Dwarves of Demrel (2016, 99 mins.) Produced by Plastic Tree Productions. Directed by Christopher Raney. Written by Zachary Amundson & Christopher Raney. Director of Photography Ambrose Eng. Original music by Zack Martin. Edited by Olaf Woldan. U.S. English

Remove ads