The Economics of Open Gaming - An Open Letter To WotC

xechnao

First Post
catsclaw said:
Can you explain it to me?

I understand we're talking about the cycle of gamers who leave D&D for a different system then return to it. I've no idea what "offer and demand" means;

I understand the term "supply" to mean the limits of availability in the market. I understand the term "offer" to mean the push towards expansion that the market receives. In this case "demand" would be the dynamic of the reaction to that offer. Hope it makes some sense.

lurkinglidda

First Post
Delta said:
In this case, the current leaders of WOTC actually aren't studied in this specific sector. They come from toy or other entertainment sectors.
Don't take this as being defensive: My VP is the "oldest" person at WotC...she's been here since the company was operated out of Peter's basement. My director has been here for 13 years, manager 8 years, and I myself 9 years. We aren't toy/entertainment folks - we eat, sleep, work, play & dream hobby gaming.

catsclaw

First Post
Oh wow. Ask a silly question ...

It turns out "supply and demand" and "offer and demand" are basically synonyms. Offer and demand is the original phrase (and the literal translation of the concept from French, German, Italian, and Dutch). It's Karl Marx who popularized the English variant, because he preferred the focus on production it implies. At least, that's what I get from the only page I can access of this paper.

xechnao said:
I understand the term "supply" to mean the limits of availability in the market. I understand the term "offer" to mean the push towards expansion that the market receives. In this case "demand" would be the dynamic of the reaction to that offer. Hope it makes some sense.
I'm not sure there's that distinction in the literature. Most of what I'm finding online uses the terms interchangeably.

lurkinglidda

First Post
Oh, and just so everyone knows, I'm not popping into this thread to confirm or deny anything. Nor am I here to make any official comment. I just want folks to know that we are listening to everyone's concerns. We hear what you are saying. We just cannot voice any personal comments at this time. None of what I am saying in this thread is "official."

Please do not read anything into my post here as being spin or having a hidden meaning or anything. What I write on the screen is exactly what I'm trying to convey. I'm up front like that.

2WS-Steve

First Post
lurkinglidda said:
Oh, and just so everyone knows, I'm not popping into this thread to confirm or deny anything. Nor am I here to make any official comment. I just want folks to know that we are listening to everyone's concerns. We hear what you are saying. We just cannot voice any personal comments at this time. None of what I am saying in this thread is "official."

Please do not read anything into my post here as being spin or having a hidden meaning or anything. What I write on the screen is exactly what I'm trying to convey. I'm up front like that.

Unfortunately, an inability to make a comment that re-assures us that -

“We’re still vetting our final policy regarding open gaming. As soon as that process is complete, we’ll make an official announcement. Stay tuned for more information.”

- does not mean that WotC is reconsidering the whole open gaming thing is pretty much a confirmation that WotC is reconsidering the whole open gaming thing.

Over the last couple days we could just attribute lack of clarification to it being the weekend and people needing to cross their t's. Now it looks a lot more carefully considered and planned.

lurkinglidda

First Post
2WS-Steve said:
Unfortunately, an inability to make a comment that re-assures us that -

“We’re still vetting our final policy regarding open gaming. As soon as that process is complete, we’ll make an official announcement. Stay tuned for more information.”

- does not mean that WotC is reconsidering the whole open gaming thing is pretty much a confirmation that WotC is reconsidering the whole open gaming thing.

Over the last couple days we could just attribute lack of clarification to it being the weekend and people needing to cross their t's. Now it looks a lot more carefully considered and planned.
When we don't comment we're bad, when we do comment we're bad. :heh:

[linae returns to the ether]

Delta

First Post
lurkinglidda said:
Don't take this as being defensive: My VP is the "oldest" person at WotC...she's been here since the company was operated out of Peter's basement. My director has been here for 13 years, manager 8 years, and I myself 9 years. We aren't toy/entertainment folks - we eat, sleep, work, play & dream hobby gaming.

Hey, Lidda, that's very cool. But that's not the case for the new President, right?

Part of what many of us are keenly curious about right now is exactly how much of the current decision process is being driven by the new President, Hasbro executives and/or lawyers, etc. Whoever is driving that process is who I'm thinking of when I say "current leaders".

Ourph

First Post
lurkinglidda said:
When we don't comment we're bad, when we do comment we're bad. :heh:

[linae returns to the ether]
When you post to say "The only comment I can make at this time is 'no comment'", don't expect to change a lot of POVs. :p

xechnao

First Post
Delta said:
Hey, Lidda, that's very cool. But that's not the case for the new President, right?

Part of what many of us are keenly curious about right now is exactly how much of the current decision process is being driven by the new President, Hasbro executives and/or lawyers, etc. Whoever is driving that process is who I'm thinking of when I say "current leaders".

So if there will be no GSL could it be due to poor organization that the GSL was not ready a couple of weeks ago?
Because if you suggest that the GSL is in doubt now due to the new president, it can only be because of this reason IMO.
But cant say I am sure that this is how things actually are.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
lurkinglidda said:

Frankly, statements like this go a long way of allaying fears. A presense like yours is very helpful. Thank you. :D

Remove ads