The Economics of Open Gaming - An Open Letter To WotC

2WS-Steve

First Post
lurkinglidda said:
When we don't comment we're bad, when we do comment we're bad. :heh:

[linae returns to the ether]

I don't want to call anybody bad. White Wolf and GURPS hasn't released any of their home stuff as open content and I don't think they're bad.

But I'm just drawing what I think are reasonable conclusions about the GSL. Companies don't tell their employees that they can't say anything unless there's something significant and potentially sensitive going on -- especially given that they're not even allowing you to correct a lot of the wild speculation going on about that Friday quote.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
lurkinglidda said:
Please do not read anything into my post here as being spin or having a hidden meaning or anything. What I write on the screen is exactly what I'm trying to convey. I'm up front like that.

[silliness]
You know, if you take all the letters in the above sentence and mix them around, you get:
Pigs Fly,
OGL Rules
Help me. I work for a lich.
and lastly
BJs Don't count.
You get some extra letters too, but that happens. And she said there were no hidden meanings in there. ;)
[/silliness]

EDIT: In all seriousness, I do appreciate you talking with us and doing your best to help keep things smooth. You do an excellent job.

Last edited:

Orcus

First Post
lurkinglidda said:

Linae,

Nice to see you drop in! :)

I know you are in a tough spot. You cant officially comment but you want to make sure we know Wizards is listening and is taking what we have to say seriously. I, for one, appreciate that.

Thanks.

Clark

Ydars

Explorer
Linae; I understand you can't confirm or deny anything and it's great to have you here. Its just cool to hang out with LurkinLidda.

I would like to ask everyone to be more civil, both to people from WoTC and to each other. I want to know about GSL as much as anyone (hell I started some of this ruckus), but it looks like we will have to be patient. I am sure WoTC understands how much the issue means to this community now and that they are not delaying for no reason.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
lurkinglidda said:

To be fair, it's not whether or not you comment, but what you say when you do.

That said, you've made it very clear that your hands are tied in this matter, so I don't think anyone is holding it against you. They're definitely holding it against someone, just not you.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
There's not a lot of 4E info hitting the pages but we have a pub date when we will sate our appetites.
The GSL is vaporware at this point. There is precious little to go on except to parse out every consonant and vowel of every utterance (Thank you Linnae for giving us new fodder ;>P). There are strong proponents for either side of the issue, so there is a brisk patter of posts. It makes for a fun topic.

I don't think, ultimately, the GSL will make or break 4E. It is irrelevant in the scheme of things as far as D&D goes. For my own personal enjoyment I want the GSL to come out so I can use all the great stuff Clark and Scott at Necromancer will produce for 4E. I want to see some 4E Goodman Games mods. I want to see a 4E era breakout company and play their take on the rules I will use.

Whether there is a GSL or not, I will pick up the core 3 for 4E. WHether I continue to buy 4E products will depend on the quality of the products produced. THe GSL increases the possibility that I will find something to my taste going forward. A GSL with healthy participation keeps me in the habit of buying D&D material. That is the biggest boon of the OGL boom. There was so much material that people got into a regular habit of dropping $20 -$40 bucks every so often on D&D stuff.

So no statistical proof only my own anecdote of why I hope there is a GSL and soon.

Remove ads