• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Elementalists (FULL)

Greenmtn

Explorer
Well. To give an idea of it's most common use.. the tribe calls it The Perch.

I will get the Character into the roster thread tonight.
Looking forward to the game.

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Mmm. I'm not sure if I can do that. There has to be some trade off to multiclassing, even if I'm purposefully being more lenient with it. Giving the second attack based on character level would be like giving a multiclassed wizard access to 3rd level spells at level 5, even though they took two levels of Cleric. Sure, the spell slots stack, as they're both casters, but higher level spells are still tied to class level. It works the same with multi attack, in my opinion.

Fair enough, it was worth asking though ;-)

One last set of questions before I decide to go strait monk 5 or ranger 2/monk 3:

1) Is "mariner" allowed as a ranger Fighting style from UA waterborne adventures (fyi, I renamed it "kiss of the water nymph", just because ;-)
• +1 ac when not using shield or heavy armor,
• Gain climbing and swimming speed equal to normal speed
The other fighting styles didn't really work with a monk, except perhaps archery, but I don't want my character to be an archer all the time...

2) If the answer to question 1 above is no, and it has to be archery, can you rule on its synergy with fist of unbroken air (initiated by unarmed strike, your unarmed strikes are treated as 15-foot ranged attacks for that attack action, as well as the rest of the turn. If such an attack hits, you may spend 1 ki point to push the target back 10 feet and knock it prone.)

3) Also, can you tell me if the Sharpshooter feet would work with Fist of unbroken air (I'll probably just go with the dex ASI, but I was playing with this idea this week-end).

FYI, both character sheets will be ready to post today, I just wanted your take on these three points and I'll make a decision, and post.
Cheers!

SG

tglassy

Adventurer
1. Mariner's fine.

2. Fists of Unbroken Air make your attacks ranged attacks, but it's not a ranged weapon. So archery wouldn't affect it.

3. Same as 2. Sharpshooter works with ranged weapons, not just ranged attacks. At least, that is how I'm going to rule this.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
1. Mariner's fine.

2. Fists of Unbroken Air make your attacks ranged attacks, but it's not a ranged weapon. So archery wouldn't affect it.

3. Same as 2. Sharpshooter works with ranged weapons, not just ranged attacks. At least, that is how I'm going to rule this.

Cool, and thanks for allowing Mariner! I have a tough call to make, because I like the two versions of my character ;-)
Thanks again and cheers,

SG

tglassy

Adventurer
Adding the Ranger levels makes sense with his backstory. Just keep in mind that mechanically, you'd be trading a d6 martial arts die, second attack, slow fall (not really needed), stunning strike, as well as quicker access to higher level Monk abilities for favored enemy, favored terrain, a fighting style and two spells. You don't really need the armor or weapon proficiencies as a monk. Whether that is a good trade off is entirely up to you. As if fits the backstory, I don't mind if it's less than optimal. Just making sure you see the comparison between the two clearly.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Adding the Ranger levels makes sense with his backstory. Just keep in mind that mechanically, you'd be trading a d6 martial arts die, second attack, slow fall (not really needed), stunning strike, as well as quicker access to higher level Monk abilities for favored enemy, favored terrain, a fighting style and two spells. You don't really need the armor or weapon proficiencies as a monk. Whether that is a good trade off is entirely up to you. As if fits the backstory, I don't mind if it's less than optimal. Just making sure you see the comparison between the two clearly.

Yes, I know, hence my hesitation between the two options! The 2 ranger lvl 1 spells will actually be useful, since Hunter's mark will balance off the loss of an extra attack. +1 ac from mariner is also very good. Proficiency in longbow is marginally useful but since I'm burning all the starting gold in training, the fact a ranger starts off with a long bow is good, and the ranger gets an additional proficiency at level 1. What hurts is the loss of 2 ki points and the all mighty stunning strike, which is very strong.

The thing is, even if it is sub-optimal, I really feel that ranger makes sense given the character's backstory. And reading the revised UA ranger, I became enamored with the Deep Stalker Conclave.

This is why I'm so much on the fence...
Anyways, thanks for your input.
Cheers,

SG

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
OK, the mc version of my character is poster. I'm still on the fence and the strait monk 5 version is also ready to go. [MENTION=6855102]Greenmtn[/MENTION] I saw in the RG that you are also a multiclass ranger. Please let me know if you feel that I am stepping on your toes, as I wouldn't mind having a reason to get pushed on the other side of the fence (seriously).
I appreciate feedback & comments.
Thanks and cheers,

SG

PS: I resisted the sharpshooter feet, but there is something about shooting from 600ft in the air with 100% accuracy that is just darn cool ;-)

Greenmtn

Explorer
Sorry I can't help. I don't feel you are stepping on my toes at all, if you want me to push you in the direction of the Monk I can though ;)

Remove ads