D&D 5E The Elementalists (FULL)

Azurewraith

Explorer
[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] so your still filling in background. You had any ideas or you stuck? Just had a bout of creative block myself.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
We'll need to start soon, while we have momentum. As for equipment, Queenie, you can always just hold on to the money and buy equipment as you need to, and just take the starting equipment. You're a sorcerer, so you don't need armor or anything like that. We talked about your magic item via PM, so that's done. All you need to do is a write up of your backstory, and to be honest, you can always keep that a secret if you want. You do need to know who your character is, but nobody else does.

Ok, so for everybody. The setting is the Continent of Elindil. For ease of use, and because I'm lazy, we're going to use North American geography. Cause it's got everything. I'm still deciding on the nations, but I feel there are a number of them, spread all throughout, so feel free to claim an area and name it. In fact, feel free to help construct the world as we go. I'll be in charge of what is actually seen, but if your character spent a lot of time in a particular city to the west, go ahead and name it, and I'll put it somewhere to the west. Usually when a player does this, I'll PM them for details, and if they don't have any, I'll make up the details myself and give them a heads up before the party gets there, so they can role play as if they've been there before. I like playing a very fluid, collaborative game where the players help construct the world. I see this Continent as being largely multiracial, but there could be nations that are specific to one race or another.

The situations, NPC's, and the like are mine. Feel free to suggest some that fit with your character's backgrounds, but I obviously control anything present day outside your own characters. I'll craft stories and quests and whatnot from the world as it's being created. I've done it this way on another forum, and it's gone splendidly so far, and it helps the players feel like they're invested in the world.

The way I'm setting this up, you are basically stuck with your element. You are not, however, stuck with your character. If, for some reason, you do not like your character, you are free to roll up a new one at our current level. The only caveat is that you can only have one living character at a time. In other words, if you want to roll up a new character, you have to kill the old one off. Or have me do it. Also, if you die, you are free to roll up a new character, or go with another option that I may or may not offer you at that point in time. No need to get ahead of ourselves, though.

Warning, while I will not purposefully kill you (make you fight twenty storm giants just to make sure you die), I will also not save you from your stupidity. I had a character run into a bandit den by herself once, sneak all the way to the boss' room (passed all those checks, it was amazing), just to have her attack the boss, which she didn't know was actually an Incubus in disguise (part of this whole storyline I'd had planned), and have him charm her. So then she wound up leading the entire party into an ambush. They survived. Barely. So if you do something stupid and get people killed, that's on you.

I do enjoy me some high level stuff, and as I've said before, my ultimate goal is to get y'all to level 20, cause I've got some serious high level plans if we can get there. But that'll take a while. So hopefully, the players will be interested for that long. I tend to level people up quickly, though, so we'll see. I also do it based on milestone, not XP. You level up when I tell you you level up.

A little logistics, if someone is lagging behind, and everyone else is moving forward, that's kind of the name of the game when you're doing play by post. I'll do my best to make sure everyone's engaged, and try to slow things down if someone is having trouble keeping up, but in the end, I'm not going to be able to control the speed of the game. That's the players. If y'all want to get together and make a rule, like no more than three posts a day each or something, that's fine. But that's up to you. I only post when I have something to post. If someone is lagging behind, and they don't mind me taking control of their character during battles when they don't have time to post as much, I can do that. But I won't unless you give me the go ahead.

Alright, so all that's left is for me to craft the opening post. That might take a while and I've got some traveling this weekend, so bare with me. I'll try to have something up in the next few days. I'm excited!

Azurewraith

Explorer
We'll need to start soon, while we have momentum. As for equipment, Queenie, you can always just hold on to the money and buy equipment as you need to, and just take the starting equipment. You're a sorcerer, so you don't need armor or anything like that. We talked about your magic item via PM, so that's done. All you need to do is a write up of your backstory, and to be honest, you can always keep that a secret if you want. You do need to know who your character is, but nobody else does.

Ok, so for everybody. The setting is the Continent of Elindil. For ease of use, and because I'm lazy, we're going to use North American geography. Cause it's got everything. I'm still deciding on the nations, but I feel there are a number of them, spread all throughout, so feel free to claim an area and name it. In fact, feel free to help construct the world as we go. I'll be in charge of what is actually seen, but if your character spent a lot of time in a particular city to the west, go ahead and name it, and I'll put it somewhere to the west. Usually when a player does this, I'll PM them for details, and if they don't have any, I'll make up the details myself and give them a heads up before the party gets there, so they can role play as if they've been there before. I like playing a very fluid, collaborative game where the players help construct the world. I see this Continent as being largely multiracial, but there could be nations that are specific to one race or another.

The situations, NPC's, and the like are mine. Feel free to suggest some that fit with your character's backgrounds, but I obviously control anything present day outside your own characters. I'll craft stories and quests and whatnot from the world as it's being created. I've done it this way on another forum, and it's gone splendidly so far, and it helps the players feel like they're invested in the world.

The way I'm setting this up, you are basically stuck with your element. You are not, however, stuck with your character. If, for some reason, you do not like your character, you are free to roll up a new one at our current level. The only caveat is that you can only have one living character at a time. In other words, if you want to roll up a new character, you have to kill the old one off. Or have me do it. Also, if you die, you are free to roll up a new character, or go with another option that I may or may not offer you at that point in time. No need to get ahead of ourselves, though.

Warning, while I will not purposefully kill you (make you fight twenty storm giants just to make sure you die), I will also not save you from your stupidity. I had a character run into a bandit den by herself once, sneak all the way to the boss' room (passed all those checks, it was amazing), just to have her attack the boss, which she didn't know was actually an Incubus in disguise (part of this whole storyline I'd had planned), and have him charm her. So then she wound up leading the entire party into an ambush. They survived. Barely. So if you do something stupid and get people killed, that's on you.

I do enjoy me some high level stuff, and as I've said before, my ultimate goal is to get y'all to level 20, cause I've got some serious high level plans if we can get there. But that'll take a while. So hopefully, the players will be interested for that long. I tend to level people up quickly, though, so we'll see. I also do it based on milestone, not XP. You level up when I tell you you level up.

A little logistics, if someone is lagging behind, and everyone else is moving forward, that's kind of the name of the game when you're doing play by post. I'll do my best to make sure everyone's engaged, and try to slow things down if someone is having trouble keeping up, but in the end, I'm not going to be able to control the speed of the game. That's the players. If y'all want to get together and make a rule, like no more than three posts a day each or something, that's fine. But that's up to you. I only post when I have something to post. If someone is lagging behind, and they don't mind me taking control of their character during battles when they don't have time to post as much, I can do that. But I won't unless you give me the go ahead.

Alright, so all that's left is for me to craft the opening post. That might take a while and I've got some traveling this weekend, so bare with me. I'll try to have something up in the next few days. I'm excited!

I can live with all the above it's how id run it. If I'm ever away for more than a day feel free to take over.

Greenmtn

Explorer
I can live with all the above it's how id run it. If I'm ever away for more than a day feel free to take over.

Same here.

Since we are using North America as the Geographical map I would say my back story probably means I'm from the south west, if we wanted to get specific my tribe could be around the Mesa Verde or Grand Canyon areas since that is where the style of mountain I mentioned exists.

Edid: This is just first instinct and not crucial in any way to my story.

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer

Same for me. The area my character is from will be the south shore on Montreal, an area called Montérégie, characterized by plains with a few mountains that pop up out of nowhere. The mountain where he lived as a youngling is Mont-St-Hilaire, and the one with the monastery is on Mont Yamaska. His avariel clan likely was located in the White Mountains in NH, but he is 100% certain as he was too young.

I'm flexible about this if it simplifies our characters getting together.
Cheers,

SG

Remove ads