The Elfblood Wanderers--New Story Hour!!

Bob Aberton

First Post
This is my first attempt at a story hour, so bear with me.

First, before anything, you should know some house rules of mine:

All arcane casters use the "Witch" Alt. spell list (DMG), and all spells require a Spellcraft roll to cast.

Attack and Defense are now skill-based.

I don't have the player's character sheets on my computer yet, so don't ask. Below is the current cast of characters.

Nystyra "Elfblood" Mageblood
Female Half-Elf Wiz. 4

Eliad Pelgrin
Male Gnome Rogue 3

Math of Greatree
Male Human Druid 3

Mathonwy of Greatree
Male Human Druid 3

Damara Khaza'ar
Female Human Fighter 3 (not playing currently; will be back soon)

Eiric Skaldsson
Male Human Barbarian 3

Diesa Swifthammer (retired from campaign)
Female Dwarf Cleric 2

I'll get around to posting stat blocks soon.

saFire

First Post
Speaking as a player in Bob Aberton's campaign...

He apologizes for not writing sooner, but the computer kept eating his posts. He will try again, though!!!

cthuluftaghn

First Post
That is an aggravating problem. For long posts, I tend to type them in Word Pad, saving often. Then I copy/paste into the message board. Saves a lot of lost typing.

Bob Aberton

First Post
Whew...

Finally, I got the first installment through without it being eaten...

Prelude

Nystyra Mageblood was lost. Very lost, both literally and figuratively.

She had been an apprentice to Adrin Emberlord, Keeper of the Flame of the Brotherhood of Merlin. For nine years, ever since she was 8 years old, she had been learning the Art of Magic under the watchful eye of Adrin himself. Al though there had been many other apprentices in the Brotherhood of Merlin, she was the most talented, or so Adrin had said. He hinted it was due to her mixed heritage. In truth, she was only part-human. Her mother had been a hardworking farmer's daughter, but her father...he had been something else entirely. Erwyll Mathkeir Haddryn yn Ymwng'Tylwyth yn Dwr'cadaeru*, as the name implies, was not a human man. Some folk in the village near which Nystyra was born whispered that her father was an incubus, a carnal demon come in the night to Nystyra's father. The truth was, Erwyll was neither man nor demon. He was a Fey, a reclusive spirit that lived in the the forests and danced in twilight meadows and sang under the full moon. Nystyra's mother, Petra, had one ngith wandered far into the forest and gotten lost. She was lost and afraid, but Erwyll, captivated by her charms, made himself known to her, and he wooed her. She stayed in that forest for many months, emerging almost 7 months later in the advanced stages of pregnancy. To her poor morified father, this would have been strange enough, but the Elfinwoods played strange tricks with time, and, though Petra had been lost for nearly a year in the woods, when she came out of thoses forests, she had only been gone for two days.

Thus, she never married. Instead, when her child was born, she moved away from the village and away from the talk that always followed her. There, beside the road, she made a small living gathering and selling firewood. Nystyra grew up the daughter of a poor woodgatherer. Until Adrin came.

He had come in the middle of the night, during a fierce storm, seeking shelter, disguised as an old and wayworn traveller. He stayed for two days, while the storm lasted, and meanwhile, Nystyra discovered him studying a spellbook by the fireplace. She watched, amazed, as he conjured up a candleflame out of thin air and made it dance around her like a firefly. It was then that she decided that she wanted to be a wizard, too. Meanwhile, Adrin had heard the story of how her mother had gotten lost in the woods and emerged two days later, in the late stages of pregnancy. His guess that Nystyra was a special child was confirmed when she showed a surprising aptitude for wizardry.

Her mother had not wanted to let her go, at first, but Adrin had persuaded her that it was a golden opportunity for Nystyra, for wizardry is a difficult thing to master, and it must be learned young. She had better chances of success in life as the favored apprentice of a wizard high in the hierarchy of the Sorcerer's Guild.

So she had spent most of her life being educated to become a master wizard, an adept, in her own right. Only the day before she had been presented with her spellbook and Charm**, showing that she was considered a fully qualified adept in the ranks of magicians. Now it was time when she should go out into the world to make her fortune.

The only problem was, she didn't know where to go, or what to do.

End Prelude. Next Installment: Nystyra's First Adventure

*Literally, "Erwyll the son of Mathkeir the son of Haddrynn, of the Clan of Wellspring Rock" Note that among the Fey, lineages are traced through the mother, not the father.

**A sort of Arcane focus. A character can put up to 25 XP in it at one time, then the XP stored in the Charm is used to cast spells. A first level spell costs 2 XP, a second level spell costs 3 XP, and so on.

Bob Aberton

First Post
Chapter 1

Nystyra sat in the corner of the bar, feeling miserable. She had wandered aimlessly over the past day, eventually ending up here. It wasn't a very high class bar, it was more of a cheap wayside hostel. Still, the wine wasn't bad.

With nowhere else to go, she had come to this inn and decided to follow the advice of the bleary-eyed steward of the Sorcerer's Guildhall - when in doubt, get drunk. Listlessly, she offered her cup up to be refilled, while half-listening to the music of a minstrel with a lute in the corner. Judging by the music, not only was the musician apparently deaf, but deep in his cups, and the instrument wouldn't have been hurt by a little tuning up.

Soon enough, however, she felt something that roused her out of her torpor. A hand was scrabbling around in her pocket, reaching for her spellbook! Quickly, she reached out and caught the offending hand by the wrist.

"Oo, m'lady, please don't hurt me! I was only...err...looking for something I lost!" said the pickpocket.

"In my pocket?" Nystyra asked acidly.

"Eh...that wasn' one o' me better excuses, was it?" I would-be pickpocket asked, grinning beatifically. "Well...a man's got to be making a living don' y'know..."

Nystyra held out her cup to refilling, and began massaging her temples. This was too much. All she wanted to do was fall asleep and wake up in her old room in Caer Merddyn. Still, she supposed, this thief needed to be taught a shaarp lesson. Putting one hand to the little casket that hung around her throat, holding her Coal, she tried to focus her mind on the glowing ember, concentrating through a wine induced haze. There was a sudden flare that flashed out of nowhere, and then her pocket seemed to speak.

"DON'T PUT YOUR HANDS WHERE THEY DON'T BELONG!" "said" the spellbook.

"Oo, interesting! Yer a witch, then?" the thief said, fascinated.

Nystyra was nonplussed. "Fascinated" was not the reaction she had been hoping for. "Fearful," maybe. Or "Terrfied." But not "Fascinated." This was clearly no ordinary pickpocket.

"No, I'm no ordinary pickpocket," the pickpocket said. "Strictly speaking, I'm a Gnome." As though to prove his point, the pickpocket suddenly began juggling a trio of torchflames.

"I'm seekin' me fortune in the world, y'see," the Gnome continued. "And, seeing as we know each other now, I'm thinking maybe we could travel together. I'm Eliad Pelgrin, by name and by nature*, by the way."

Nystyra's head throbbed, with wine and confusion. A Gnome? Travelling with her? Travelling where? She looked around the common room, full of drunks and with the thumb-fingered minstrel still plunking away on his lute in the background. Anywhere, she supposed, would be better than here.

"Yeah, anywhere woudl be better than here," the Gnome said. ""Course, we need money. I don't suppose you have any? Didn't think so. Hmm..." Apparently out of sheer boredom, he snapped his fingers at Nystyra's tankard, and as a tavern patron walked by, he held the tankard out toward the man.

"D'ye have any money?"asked the tankard.

The man peered at the tankard with bleary eyes, and then dropped a silver piece in it.

"Nice trick," he mumbled.

"Thank ye kindly," the tankard called out.

Eliad fished the silver piece out of him tankard. He grinned.

"I have an idea," he said.

Next Installment comign soon...

Remove ads