The Elfblood Wanderers--New Story Hour!!

Bob Aberton

First Post
Well, Corwyn, I do flatter myself that I'm a good writer;)

But my PCs (PC singular, actually), are nothing short of brilliant.

When I thought up the "Lord Meiron plot," I had basically thought that she would be a typical PC and loaf around Dwllyn, making Gather Info checks.

When she said that she was going to disguise herself as a fortune-teller and go right to the top, so to speak, I was completely blindsided. But blindsided in a good way.

Building on her previous brilliance, once she had gotten the trust of Lord Meiron, she then 'persuaded' Eliad, in his Tall Red-haired Man disguise (tm), to attack him, after she had predicted such an attack.

You'll see the end result soon, don't worry.

Yes, my PC does often make a good show. Amazingly enough, the very different personalities of Diesa, Damara, and Nystyra were all roleplayed by her (applause).

the Jester

Legend
Hey Bob!

Nice story hour you've got going on here... I hope to read some more of it later on! I just read everything you've posted so far; good show!

As for the one-player mult-character campaign, I've had a lot of fun with that kind of thing in the past. Good stuff, if they can rp well enough that the different characters aren't just different heads of the hydra, and in this case it looks like the player is doing a fine job!

Well, I'll check your next update when it happens- you might drop in on my story hour if you get bored...

Bob Aberton

First Post
Thanks for the Bump, Corwyn. And now, without further ado:You didn't kill him, Eliad, did you?" Nystyra asked anxiously. The Gnome was propped up on the bed in his room, fairly swaddled with bandages. Lord Meiron's Bodyguard, once the surprise had worn off, had not been lenient with him. Only the sudden, puzzling incompetence of the Captain of the Guard had saved him.
"I told ye, Miss Nysytra, I didn' kill him. I scratched him up a fair bit, but..." The normally cheerful Gnome gestured at the bandages. Mathonwy had given his aid to the Gnome, but he had to do it discreetly, and without magic. It would have been far too suspicious for this mysterious figure, wounded by Guardsmen's sword, to be healed in the space of hours by the Seeress's own companion. His disguise had been still with him when they had found him, for he had not been coherent enough to cancel it, so he would have been recognized. It was only now that Nystyra realized just how thin the ice she was treading was.

Not long after their conversation, Nystyra was called upon once more.

"Seeress, your vision is not so clear. I have survived when you said I would have died," Lord Meiron said, almost gloating, but prevented from making any sort of facial expression by the bandage around his brow.

"Question not my vision, Lord Meiron!" Sindell said sharply. "You have survived this once. Thank the Fates for they will surely not be so merciful the next time!"
Lord Meiron sat back, subdued, but Nystyra thought she detected the blossoming of suspicion in his eyes. Quickly, she broke the silence.

"Shall I prophecy for you, my Lord?" she asked innocently

"No prophesy for today, Seeress," Lord Meiron said. "I have questions of state that need answering...questions of...ah...security."

"The more a spider spins his webs, the more he worries for them," Sindell reflected thoughtfully. "You ask, I doubt not, about that one particular item among your personal effects, the one which was paid for in six feet of rope." That last was purely a guess, as Nystyra, searching quickly through her mind, came up with that bit of information Eliad had gleaned from a disgruntled servant.

"I, ah, see that your vision is..hmm...improved, Seeress," Lord Meiron said, intrigued.

"Doubt not, O Lord Meiron, that that which was paid for in rope shall be paid yet again, an you be not wary. Only the Keeper of Lover's Secrets shall this one conceal, and only the new moon hide the gallows-debt."

"I do not like to...ah, perforate my gardens, Seeress, yet your advice is good," Lord Meiron said. Whatever could be said of his personal habits, or his manner of dressing, he had a sharp mind. Nystyra was suddenly struck by a brilliant idea, one of a series which had led her to this point.

"Lord Meiron, a Seeress has eyes only, not ears to hear secrets nor a voice to speak them. On the night of the new moon, I shall lay such a spell upon your gallows-debt that mortal tongues shall never again speak of it, unless you yourself reveal it. Scorn not my aid, Lord Meiron, for wise men never spurn powerful allies," she said, crossing her fingers and hoping Lord Meiron agreed.

"I shall...consider it," Lord Meiron said, a crafty glint coming into his eyes.

Later that night, the night of the new moon, Nystyra and Eliad were concealed in some bushes in Lord Meiron's gardens. A life-size statue of a naked woman - the Keeper of Lover's Secrets, as some called the sculpture that had stood mute witness to so many trysts and romances - gazed down at them with lidded eyes. It was almost completely dark, but the Fey blood that ran in the veins of both Nystyra and Eliad allowed them to see fairly well regardless.

They waited an hour, then two, then three. Nystyra stretched her legs, trying to banish a sharp cramp. As she shifted uncomfortably, there was a sudden noise and a gleam of light. Lord Meiron, dressed in dark purple overcoat and breeches, came into view, holding a candle and arguing with a Bodyguard.

"What do you mean, you couldn't find her? My Seeress has not betrayed me, I trust?" he said, in an outraged squeal.

"Your Grace, I could not..." the Bodyguard began, but Lord Meiron cut him off.

"Ooh, just shut up! I have such a headache...you did let my messenger through the front gate, did you not? Good. You are dismissed...I said - "

"He said you are dismissed, soldier," said a woman's voice from right behind Lord Meiron's shoulder. He turned around with a start.

"My lady Sindell! What an...ah, pleasant surprise," he said, his voice courteous, but strained.
As he had been speaking to the hapless Bodyguard, Nystyra had slipped noiselessly out of the bush (a trick the Gnome had taught her), and crept up behind Lord Meiron silently. In her black robes, she appeared almost sepulchural, enough to make Lord Meiron shiver.

When she made no reply, Lord Meiron turned around and applied his shovel to the ground under the feet of the Keeper of Lover's Secrets. When he had a sufficient hole, he drew a small ironbound cask from his wig, and placed it in the hole. Shovelling dirt over it, he turned around and squinted impatiently at Sindell.

"Well? Are you going to...ah, cast your spell," he asked. Sindell said nothing, but nodded her head.

"Well goo - "

He got no further than that. Something heavy collided with his skull, and he fell to the ground, his wig falling from his unmoving head.

The Bodyguard that Lord Meiron had been berating earlier came into view again. He looked sternly at the fallen Lord for a minute, then reached up and removed his helmet with a beatific grin. Suddenly, Eliad stood where the Bodyguard had been, holding a suddenly too-large sword with a dented pommel (Lord Meiron had a hard head).

"Oo, Miss Nystyra, but tha' was clever, weren't it? Oo, but I wish I could've seen th' look on his face if he'd seen me! The stupid poof told me everything, thinkin' I was one o' his precious Bodyguard. It's all thanks to Cnorrec, too," he said, stroking the hat Cnorrec fondly.

Nystyra looked at the unconscious form of Lord Meiron. Much to her surprise, he was as bald as an egg under his curly pink wig. Eliad had already retrieved the iron strongbox. For several tense minutes, he worked it with his lockpicks, first whistling happily, then humming perplexedly, then staring angrily, then finally shouting angrily as one of his lockpicks snapped off in the lock, ruining any chance of opening it by the conventional means.

"Iwn Gneauh Cnirri! Oh, Toadstools!" he screamed in rage, using the very worst of Gnmic curses and smashing the strongbox with his Bodyguard's sword. Then, realizing how much noise he was making, and seeing the poisonous glare Nystyra shot him, he covered his mouth, looked horrified, and picked up the strongbox. To his surprise, it fell open, one of its hinges broken, and a sheaf of papers fluttered out. He snatched up all of the them, and was starting to read them, when they heard shouting and the sound of running feet. The Bodyguard had arrived. Clutching the papers, he and Nystyra ran off into the night.

Well, what do you think? Next update probably tomorrow or Sunday.

Corwyn

First Post
Excellent as always :D

Crafty plots, good roleplaying and superb writing. The reason why this story houre should be in the top ten.

Bob Aberton

First Post
They were over the garden wall barely a step ahead of the Bodyguard, and as they fled down the dark street, they heard a shout of fury, soon taken up by the other Bodyguards: "Dead! Lord Meiron is Dead!!"

They hurried down the streets to the Leaky Keg, entering through the back door, and hurrying swiftly to their room. They knocked on the door, and, finding no answer, walked in.

It was completely dark, and the first thing Nystyra felt was the edge of a scimitar brushing her neck.

"Who are you?" asked a familiar voice.

"It is us," Nystyra said calmly. "Eliad and Nystyra."

There was a muttering in the corner of the room, and a light was struck. Diesa, Math, and Mathonwy sat around a table. Diesa's hand, the hand not holding the lantern, was on the haft of her pick. Silvercoat and Quickfeather glared at the newcomers with barely concealed threat. Damara Khaza'ar stood behind Nystyra and Eliad, scimitar drawn. When the light illuminated the two familiar figure, everyone relaxed.

"Do you have...whatever it is you were after?" Diesa inquired.

"Nothing," said Eliad. He whipped Cnorrec off his head, upended the hat, and dumped out veritable blizzard of papers. "Just a lot o' letters."

Nystyra just sighed in annoyance and collected the papers, putting them on her desk. Most of them were simple bills of accounts, troop lists, and the like. However, some were more interesting. One was titled "The Treaty of 124*ARD, Being an Account of Friendship and Alliances with the clan of Dwarves calling themselves Longbeards." Diesa snatched it up, her eyes narrowing angrily as she scanned the paper.

"Scum!" she burst out suddenly, flinging the paper down to the table. "That coalgrubbing son of a..." she grabbed up her pick, and brought it down of the paper, pinning the treaty to the table.

The others looked at her, astonished at her outburst.

"He is making an alliance with the...their name tastes foul on my tongue...the Longbeards, may their mines collapse on them. They provide him with gold to pay his army, and he pledges to help them against my own clan, the Swifthammers," she explained bitingly.

"And here is a letter to a rival of the mayor of Urglath - Lord Meiron is trying to get his own man as mayor," Mathonwy commented.

"Here is a letter to the Red Band, whoever they are...he needs them to burn and despoil Urglath's outlying fields," Eliad commented.

Nystyra said nothing. In her hands, she held a set of instructions to somebody named Orm, who Lord Meiron called his "emissary to the giants."

"You should know, I suppose, that Lord Meiron sent out a message rider this very night," Damara said conversationally. "I know this because I enlisted myself in the Watch, and I was guarding the gate when orders came to let the rider through. He was headed for Pillars of the Sky."

Everyone looked at Damara with a mixture of amazment and concern. Concern, because they knew they needed to catch the message rider, and amazement because they ahd never known Damara to say more than a dozen words at a time. The next instant, their was a bustle at the table as they all rose to fetch their gear. They knew they could never return here again, not without different names and good disguises.

They were moving toward the door when a loud knock was heard.

"Open up, in the name of His Grace!" said a commanding voice from the other side of the door.

The Wanderers looked at each other. Silvercoat growled softly and Quickfeather glared at the door with his razor edged glance. Eliad flung himself out of the window. The Wanderers, however, had no time to be shocked at this sudden action before Eliad's voice was heard.

"Coom on down," he said cheerily. "It's not too far down...I think I'm on the stable roof. In fact, I'll get us som horses..." his voice trailed off.

"Go," said Damara, drawing her scimitar. "I will face them myself."

Nystyra realized she had a lump in her throat. It was all her fault, she was no leader. I she hadn't come here, they wouldn't be in this situation. Now Damara's blood was on her hands, and...

Damara had pushed her out the window. She landed on the stable roof, as Eliad had said, and Math, Mathonwy, Diesa, and Silvercoat fell on top of her. Quickfeather, soaring out of the window, perched himself on the inn's weathervane and let out a piercing shriek.

The Wanderers sorted themselves out just in time to hear the sound of splintering wood, then there was the distinct noise of clashing steel. They heard a wordless warcry that sounded exactly like Quickfeather's shriek, and then the shout of a wounded man.

"Psst! Miss Nystyra!" it was Eliad, leading five horses and Damara's pony by the bridles. The Wanderers mounted up and rode away into the night, leaving the noise of clashing steel and wounded men back at the inn. As the sounds of fighting died away into the distance, Nystyra realized her eyes were moist with tears.

Short and sweet. There'll be another update soon, I promise. The "Lord Meiron" adventure is almost done with.

Corwyn

First Post
I hope other people are noticing this story becouse it is getting hard to keep it on page one on my own.

Nystyra looks better in a page 1 :D

saFire

First Post
Corwyn: On behalf of Bob, who is on a short vacation, (he'll be back tomorrow) I'd like to thank you for being so supportive of our story hour:D

- saFire

Bob Aberton

First Post
I'm back!!

In lieu of an update, would any of my faithful readers be interested in such things as stats and Character Histories for the various PCs and NPCs?

Remove ads