The Enemy Within Coming For WFRP 4!

We all suspected this was coming, but Cubicle 7 has just announced that the classic campaign, The Enemy Within, is coming to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition next year. "To celebrate the 30th Anniversary of The Enemy Within Campaign we’re going to be releasing an updated deluxe, “Directors Cut” edition of The Enemy Within Campaign for Fourth Edition!"

We all suspected this was coming, but Cubicle 7 has just announced that the classic campaign, The Enemy Within, is coming to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition next year. "To celebrate the 30th Anniversary of The Enemy Within Campaign we’re going to be releasing an updated deluxe, “Directors Cut” edition of The Enemy Within Campaign for Fourth Edition!"
whfrp-hog-adv-shad.jpg
They also noted that they are working on bringing more of WFRP 1E to PDF.The Enemy Within Director's Cut will be run by Graeme Davis. Originally published in the late 1980s, this campaign is one of the all-time classics. It consisted of a series of adventures:
  • The Enemy Within / Mistaken Identity
  • Shadows Over Bögenhafen
  • Death on the Reik
  • Power Behind the Throne
  • Something Rotten in Kislev
  • Empire in Flames

Emirikol

Adventurer
Ok, I'm going to rag on this a bit.

We have to endure YET ANOTHER RELEASE of the same old :):):):)? Sure it was a classic campaign, and much better than the Doomstones, but could we please get something new?

Do they still know how to write new adventures? For frick's sake, Graeme wrote an entirely NEW TEW that was system-neutral just a couple years ago that was fantastic. Graeme is a great writer and you're relegating him to editing the same old copy of a copy of copy that's been reproduced MULTIPLE TIMES BEFORE? Geez c7! Grow a pair and explore some new adventure themes.

Can you imagine if Dungeons & Dragons, after 4th edition, went back to the White Boxed Set Rules and the only adventure they wrote was a flipping reprint of B2 Keep on the Borderlands (for the 4th time?). WTF?

Anybody remember why we did so many Fan-Adventure-Writing-Contests? BECAUSE WE DIDN'T NEED ANOTHER REPRINT OF TEW! :)

Anyways, my 3.0 cents are out there in the void now.

Jh

D

dco

It's one of the best RPG camapigns ever written, there's a reason it should be re-done for younger generations to enjoy it!
Or they could put it on drivethrurpg or other site specialized on releasing old material and focus on new things.

You're mixing them up with Wizards of the Coast. Whoops, sorry, couldn't resist! ;-)
I would love to see this game with the same support as d&d 5e, 3-4 new campaigns in 3 years, a proper bestiary and guides for the Dungeon master and players, you could also add the support from other publications...
I like the first edition of Warhammer, the book had practically all you needed to play the game. The worst thing about the second edition is the quantity of supplements full of filler but at least they released new material and a lot of other adventures. The third edition was awful but the adventures were really good, we played them using the old rules.

Now we have the 4 edition and I've only seen a cover like the old one, the announcement of the old campaign instead of a new one, a starter set (no adventure on the core rulebook?), some rumours about supplements, etc. They are also going to release Age of Sigmar RPG, this could mean less resources for the old world setting. In essence, I don't want to buy the new edition to put it on the shelf.

Keravin

First Post
I'm curious which ending they will use given they have been drawing from Hogshead versions for some material announced so far. Graeme Davis being involved points to some positive signs so approaching this with interest.

classe_tmb

First Post
I really appreciate [MENTION=10638]Emirikol[/MENTION]'s POV. That's a really good point. Companies should stop speculating on nostalgy of a better (?) time and focus to move forward.
C7 is pretty much doing what the film companies are doing with films: instead of investing on bringing on screen incredible works of fantasy which are just on books, they invest all efforts on remakes, prequels and sequels of already exhausted titles.
I think that in the end this type of work damages creativity and reduces the space for new authors and creators to emerge.
Yet another example: it's like booking only cover bands for gigs instead of new bands who play original songs.

Remove ads

Remove ads