The English Language

Ulrick

First Post
Just today I was playing D&D (1st ed!) and we fought some pa'soihfow"ehnfowhrfo'ahwndsfou--hawsd and killed them all. Then suddenly a gigantic qouqrkhDY3250987WDSIFUVAETR9

Ulrick

First Post
...OEARO'GI034 emerged (I accidently pushed the return key--hey, its a tough word to spell). It breath 38afqfe gas on us and killed the wizard. But we won by taking a weapon known as a {:?,<^)@(\|~` and stabbing it though its &+-(("

:)

--Kcirlu

Nish

First Post
Ulrick said:
...OEARO'GI034 emerged (I accidently pushed the return key--hey, its a tough word to spell). It breath 38afqfe gas on us and killed the wizard. But we won by taking a weapon known as a {:?,<^)@(\|~` and stabbing it though its &+-(("

:)

--Kcirlu
Now there's certainly no need for all that profanity here. ;)

Gez

First Post
I don't know. I prononce these as I read these. French is simpler than English, you don't need to know how a word sound to pronounce if it is not (a) a conjugued verb or (b) a foreign word.

German is an even simpler language. You have one written word, you have one pronounciation. Of the tongues I know, it is the only who have no irregularities or pronounciation exception. I can read perfectly a german text -- even if I won't understand anything, I'll at least get the pronounciation straight.

I've heard that Russian and Italian are straightforward also.

But for pronouciation, English is the worst. Not being able to say a word if you didn't heard it before is just a pain in the rear.

I've never seen any pronounciation thread in a French forum. Hehehe.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
DarwinofMind said:
Gary, can we get you to record yourself saying all these weird words you created, (And maybe a few of those archaic ones you use all the time ;) ) You could then post this sound file, and we would never have to have one of these threads again.

Heh, and sure...for what it's worth :rolleyes:

Can't do it from here, now anyway. Maybe someone can hook up with me at GenCon, or here at my place if they're in the Lake Geneva area, and I'll be happy to oblidge.

This sort of reminds me of when I was grilling Fritz about Pulg--not how to pronounce the name, but that hero's stats in terms of Lankhmar and compared to Fafhrd. Fritz sort of looked blank, shrugged: "Pulg is more than one person, sort of the city champion, so what he can do depends on the needs of the story."

What's in a name, eh?

Gary

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:

Heh, and sure...for what it's worth :rolleyes:

Can't do it from here, now anyway. Maybe someone can hook up with me at GenCon, or here at my place if they're in the Lake Geneva area, and I'll be happy to oblidge.

This sort of reminds me of when I was grilling Fritz about Pulg--not how to pronounce the name, but that hero's stats in terms of Lankhmar and compared to Fafhrd. Fritz sort of looked blank, shrugged: "Pulg is more than one person, sort of the city champion, so what he can do depends on the needs of the story."

What's in a name, eh?

Gary

Now this is the kind of name-dropping I enjoy! Did Leiber have any other insights into Farfhrd, the Mouser, and the other Lankhmarian characters in regards to RPGs? I'd love to know.

murquhart

First Post
I don't remember asking about the ixitxachitl (or whatever), that's the easiest word to pronounce, I just can't spell it worth beans!
So, how does one pronounce Fafhrd? I'd stick an "a" between the "h" and "r".
I've decided on the other two words/critters: KOO oh - TOE uh and sah - HWOO - ah - JIN.
Thanks for the input.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
murquhart said:

I've decided on sah - HWOO - ah - JIN.
Thanks for the input.

Well, you're wrong! It's pronounced Sah-WHA-ghen... The missle syllable is rather like that of those little Mexican dogs, Chihuahuas, you see.

:eek:

Gary

Remove ads