The ENWorld Electric Bard Gear (Etc) Thread

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
If I ever get a 12-string- and I do want one- I’ll probably get a Reverend electric. If it’s acoustic, it will be an Ovation, Seagull or Breedlove in all probability.
I have played a few Seagulls in shops but never bought one. They have a good rep?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
What did you think of the ones you played? I was friends with a guy who owned a music store who got some in the late 90s and he highly recommended them.
I've only played a couple ever. I was asked the question a few years ago every guitar player is dreaded to be asked. "Can you help me find a guitar for my kid?" The obvious easy answer is buy some cheap starter off the rack. Every company now seems to have one. Though, I agreed to go to a second hand music shop and browse the inventory. I played a dozen probably and my favorite was a Seapple body Seagull. I think they wanted like $250 for it. Im biased though and like Mahogany type acoustic bodies for that deep folky blues sound. I gotta pretty low voice and it compliments in sound.

Which brings up why being asked to guitar shop for someone else is so dreadful. It's a very personal thing. I have tried hundreds of guitars and some sound great, but play like crap. Some fit my hands like a glove but sound like they are made out of a Coleman Cooler. You have no idea if their kid is going to like it and stick with it. So, wouldn't a cheap guitar be suitable until they find out themselves what they like? At the same time, I had bad guitars at first, and dont want that for anybody. Though a spending 3-4X on something that might end up sitting in closet is tough too.

Anyways, I was really tempted to buy that Seagull for myself. Maybe leave it at my cabin since I already have my Martin Road show Seapple body. Kinda regret not buying it now.

R_J_K75

Legend
I've only played a couple ever. I was asked the question a few years ago every guitar player is dreaded to be asked. "Can you help me find a guitar for my kid?" The obvious easy answer is buy some cheap starter off the rack. Every company now seems to have one. Though, I agreed to go to a second hand music shop and browse the inventory. I played a dozen probably and my favorite was a Seapple body Seagull. I think they wanted like $250 for it. Im biased though and like Mahogany type acoustic bodies for that deep folky blues sound. I gotta pretty low voice and it compliments in sound.

Which brings up why being asked to guitar shop for someone else is so dreadful. It's a very personal thing. I have tried hundreds of guitars and some sound great, but play like crap. Some fit my hands like a glove but sound like they are made out of a Coleman Cooler. You have no idea if their kid is going to like it and stick with it. So, wouldn't a cheap guitar be suitable until they find out themselves what they like? At the same time, I had bad guitars at first, and dont want that for anybody. Though a spending 3-4X on something that might end up sitting in closet is tough too.

Anyways, I was really tempted to buy that Seagull for myself. Maybe leave it at my cabin since I already have my Martin Road show Seapple body. Kinda regret not buying it now.
Yeah thats always a double-edged sword. If you buy something cheap when starting out its a safe bet that a beginner is going to get frustrated and quit, but whos to say they wont lose interest if they have a decent more expensive guitar. My first electric guitar was a Harmony and it was junk. Im surprised I didnt give up playing that thing.

There arent any small guitar shops around here anymore. Guitar Center put them all out of business. Pawn shops are a cra[ shoot so its hard to try something out before buying it if youre looking for something specific. GC treats their guitars like crap and I wouldnt buy anything from there, at least the two in my area.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have (2) 6 string Breedloves. For the money they are great, nice crisp sound and easy playability. I highly recommend them.
That’s kind of my impression of them.

I never liked the sculpted plastic backs of Ovations, they were just awkward to play in my experience.
I understand. But I play mine with the shoulder strap on 100% of the time, so that issue basically disappears.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have played a few Seagulls in shops but never bought one. They have a good rep?
Definitely. In the Acoustic Guitar forum of Ultimate Guitar (.com), Seagull A6 guitars are routinely recommended as one of the best values in steel-stringed acoustics.

FWIW, Seagull is one of several subsidiary companies under the umbrella ownership of Godin, a Canadian electric guitar company. Besides Godin & Seagull, there’s also Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick, Norman, La Patrie, and TRIC cases, for good measure. Basically, they have something for almost every strata of the guitar player’s market, with good QC.

For me, the only question with Godin’s products is whether the product in hand does what I want the way I want. They’re always well made and priced affordably.

R_J_K75

Legend
I understand. But I play mine with the shoulder strap on 100% of the time, so that issue basically disappears.
I usually play sitting down and rarely use a strap when playing acoustic. Because of my posture it usually slides off my shoulder sooner than later. One thing about Breedloves that seems like an odd design choice is the location of the neck strap button. its on the underside of the neck on the heel, though I've never actually used one on them so it may be a non-issue.

Attachments

• Breedlove Strap Button.jpg
    Breedlove Strap Button.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27

R_J_K75

Legend
Its been one week. My Guild S-100 was delivered last Tuesday and due muscle relaxers and pain killers I was able to go pick it up at my local FedEx Office store, they even know my name there. But earlier in the day I had to brush about 3" of snow off my car and the day before I was making a "D&D" map laying on my bed, so I probably twisted my spine. Anyhow, I get in my car after both, go to put the car in drive and it felt like I was struck by lightning in my lower back. , I regret to inform you I haven't been able to try it yet so that makes me mad. But guitar is a thing of beauty.

I ordered a set of GraphTech Locking ratios for it, got them last week-ish, IDR. But I think theyre sending me a second set just due to user error. I'm leaning towards sending them back. What would you do? Sweetwater has always been good to me, and I get candy. I like my sale rep, always responsive, never had a problem with them so I'll send them back unless I get hold of a buddy who says, I'll pay for them you pay them, which I'm cool with.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
CongrAXEulations!

I’d probably return the unintended extras unless I had another guitar that would benefit from them OR I expected to own one in the foreseeable future.

Remove ads