• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The far realm, need a bit of info

paradox42

First Post
Shemeska said:
3) 'Guide to the Ethereal' - another Cordell book, this one had numerous Far Realms references within the darkest depths of the Ethereal, suggesting that the Far Realm was an alternate multiverse, another branch of reality bubbling up from the raw probability of the trackless ethereal seas, as different from the Great Wheel as the Great Wheel was to it. This book had the first mention of the Dharculi (3.5 Planar Handbook), and the writeup of Licister's Gap is one of the coolest things that Bruce Cordell has ever written.
Minor correction- I believe the actual first mention of the Dharculus (sing.)/Dharculi (plur.) was in The Gates of Firestorm Peak, where it appears as one of the monsters one can encounter in the Far Realm-tainted area of the dungeon. I haven't been able to find the Guide's original copyright date online, so I can't compare with my copy of Gates to see which one came first, but AKAIK Gates was the first major product that Bruce Cordell did for TSR.

EDIT: Great story Shemeska! :D Dripping with Far Realm secretions. I have a sudden hankering to do some monster-statting now- Pseudonatural Crystal Spider, anyone?

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Let me just add that Gates of Firestorm Peak is one of the best modules evar. I love it. It was the first 2e adventure that I converted to 3e and ran, and boy was it (horrific) fun! :D

Shemeska

Adventurer
paradox42 said:
Minor correction- I believe the actual first mention of the Dharculus (sing.)/Dharculi (plur.) was in The Gates of Firestorm Peak, where it appears as one of the monsters one can encounter in the Far Realm-tainted area of the dungeon. I haven't been able to find the Guide's original copyright date online, so I can't compare with my copy of Gates to see which one came first, but AKAIK Gates was the first major product that Bruce Cordell did for TSR.

Got me there, and you're right. I didn't know that they'd appeared in 'Gates of Firestorm Peak', I just remembered them from 'Guide to the Ethereal'.

EDIT: Great story Shemeska! :D Dripping with Far Realm secretions. I have a sudden hankering to do some monster-statting now- Pseudonatural Crystal Spider, anyone?

*grin* I don't think I ever said anywhere in writing just what those 'spiders' actually were, but I always had the notion that they distinctly weren't from the Far Realm, especially as how they seemed to be rather adept at killing anyone that disturbed that particular doorway/portal. Just what they are is open to interpretation of course, and I'm loathe to fully define them if I can avoid it. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads