The Favourite Official D&D Products Ranked

Looking at EN World's reviews area, where the ratings of commenters are aggregated, it's interesting to look at which are the favourite official D&D books an which are less well-regarded. I've taken the items with 10 or more reviews and ranked them in descending order. Volo's Guide to Monsters is by far the favourite product, with Hoard of the Dragon Queen at the bottom of the list.

Looking at EN World's reviews area, where the ratings of commenters are aggregated, it's interesting to look at which are the favourite official D&D books an which are less well-regarded. I've taken the items with 10 or more reviews and ranked them in descending order. Volo's Guide to Monsters is by far the favourite product, with Hoard of the Dragon Queen at the bottom of the list.

51HEKg8LWtL._SY450_.jpg

1. Volo's Guide to Monsters (95.5%)
2. Tomb of Annihilation (92.5%)
3. D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide (92%)
4. D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules (91%)
5. D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual (90.5%)
6. D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook (90%)
7. Curse of Strahd (89.5%)
8. D&D 5th Edition Starter Set (87.5%)
9. Princes of the Apocalypse (87%)
10. Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen (83%)
11. Out of the Abyss (80.5%)
12. The Rise of Tiamat (75%)
13. Tales from the Yawning Portal (69%)
14. Xanathar's Guide to Everything (67.5%)
15. Storm King's Thunder (67%)
16. Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (61.5%)
17. Hoard of the Dragon Queen (52.5%)
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Yaarel

He Mage
That is not the top 10 percentile if the average score is 74. That’s not what that term means.

Now I see where you are coming from. I am counting the average score as potentially 50, since a score of 0% or 1% was possible, even tho all of the products here are much better than that. D&D products elsewhere − such as among independent creations − might deserve very low scores. But so far, all the official products are reasonably good, and the core books are excellent.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Favourite Official D&D Products Ranked

Now I see where you are coming from. I am counting the average score as potentially 50

The average score is 74 though, not 50.

Last edited by a moderator:

ehenning

Explorer
As a comparison, if you look at Amazon’s ranking based on Average Customer Review:

1. Monster Manual
2. Volo’s Guide to Monsters
3. Curse of Strad
4. Dungeon Master’s Screen
5. Tomb of Annihilation
6. Player’s Handbook
7. Dungeon Master’s Guide
8. Starter Set
9. Tales from the Yawning Portal
10. Storm King’s Thunder
11. The Rise of Tiamat
12. Xanthar’s Guide to Everything
13. Princes of the Apocalypse
14. Out of the Abyss
15. Deluxe Character Sheets
16. Horde of the Dragon Queen
17. Sword Coast Adventures’s Guide

Just my opinion but purely rules related books like the PHB, DMG, Basic Rules, and Starter set should not be on the list.

It, to me at least, makes more sense to only rank fluff and adventure books so we best understand what people like so that more of that type can be made.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Ranking books of the same type makes more sense, sure, but it's pretty easy to extrapolate that info from this list.

I'm pretty happy with Xanathar's myself, so I'm not sure why it wound up a little low here. I guess I could go read some reviews... Though I suspect it's that whole "but I already downloaded this stuff from UA!" weirdness.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just my opinion but purely rules related books like the PHB, DMG, Basic Rules, and Starter set should not be on the list.

It, to me at least, makes more sense to only rank fluff and adventure books so we best understand what people like so that more of that type can be made.

So just ignore the ones you’re not interested in. Removing them wouldn’t change the order of what’s left.

jeffh

Adventurer
(ignore this post, missed a response to a similar question earlier in the thread)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads