• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The First Five Books (after core)

Jawsh

First Post
It all depends what options are in the core rules.

1. If psionics aren't in the core rules, I'll be picking up the Psionics Handbook.

2. I definitely want Manual of the Planes.

3. If there isn't epic level support in the core rules, I want an Epic Level Handbook.

4. Savage Species. Or any advanced guide to making every monster into a playable character.

5. Depending on how much material there is in the DMG on world building, some more World Builder's Guide stuff.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
1] A starter adventure that includes dungeon, wilderness, nautical and urban components. It should offer DM advice for running adventures in such areas and for expanding upon the adventure to build a sandbox campaign.
2] Greyhawk Campaign Setting boxed set, complete with a huge map that draws inspiration from Darlene's Greyhawk map... but manages to improve upon it. To these ends, the map of the Flanaess should be a printed on heavy card-stock tiles that can be flipped to show a map of The City of Greyhawk.
3] Guide to the Planes boxed set... including maps of planar locales (such as Sigil), a DM's guide on how to run games set in the outer planes and a planar bestiary.
4] Classics Revisited compendiums. Classic adventures, grouped by theme and organized into adventure paths, that are updated to D&DNext. Several of these would be released.
5] Deities & Demigods. A guide to the gods and other powers that players worship or revile. This would tie into the Guide to the Planes and Greyhawk boxed set. It would also give notes on religious organizations and orders, and on how to use these groups in your game.

kitsune9

Adventurer
1. Setting
2. AP Book
3. "Advanced Player's Guide"- new classes, races, rules, etc.
4. Spellbook Compendium
5. Dieties and Demigods

My Vote for "First Five."

0. A beginners box needs to be released before or at the same time as the PHB, MM, and DMG.
1. The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. Like it or not, it has become the default setting.
2. One full campaign, taking players from 1st level to 20th level.
3. Player's Handbook II - focuses on expanding options for characters from PHB. Does not focus on new character classes or races.
4. Dungeon Master's Handbook II - focuses on creating and managing a campaign.
5. Monster Manual II - focuses on classic D&D monsters from previous editions that did not make it into the first MM.

6. The Psionics Handbook. Yeah - I'm a psi fan.

No on "full campaign adventure path". Why should players who want to have to wait for ten months before getting to play a high-level adventure? First we need several good modules at a variety of levels and play experiences that stand by themselves.

WotC shouldn't lock themselves into a twelve-module series that many players decide they won't buy after the first one or two. Adventure Paths are wonderful things, but not as the only modules you publish.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
No on "full campaign adventure path". Why should players who want to have to wait for ten months before getting to play a high-level adventure? First we need several good modules at a variety of levels and play experiences that stand by themselves.

WotC shouldn't lock themselves into a twelve-module series that many players decide they won't buy after the first one or two. Adventure Paths are wonderful things, but not as the only modules you publish.

Personally, I think the best model would be a Plot Point Campaign in a single product, like The Flood for Deadlands Reloaded. Plot Points Campaigns are mostly non-linear and provide a wide variety of adventures that all exist as points in a larger plot.

The value here is that the campaign is flexible, responds to the players, and provides a solid starting point for anyone jumping into the game. The concept has proven wildly successful for many Savage Worlds settings, and should work well for D&D as well. Moreover, it gives the player base a common shared experience.

BobTheNob

First Post
A little more fringe, but I have always wanted a "Book of sample encounters and small dungeon runs". Im really after something that gives me building blocks for my own campaign. Something to give me some pre-composed pieces that can be fit into any situation.

More than that however, I want sandbox support features. I want the ability to allow players to roam as they would.

Remove ads