The Forges of the Mountain King Chapter 1- Bottom's Up!

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
And so after what seemed like an eternity but was in fact only a short rest the Dwarve rise again and decide once and for all on their plan, previously they had of course summarised their situation- which is-

1) Take the door south from the waterlogged chamber in which they fought the Ghouls- see map.

153 The Waterlogged Chamber- Krogan makes ready to charge

However, they ponder, there must be a good reason for the Ghoul running away in to the chamber of the Trapmaster (like the DM knowing that the door south here leads directly to a TPK- lets pretend that this door is marked, "you must be Level 2 to enter here", sorry I don't mean to rail-road but I was trying to save you). Hmm... the Dwarves ponder- the sixth senses flashing wildly accompanied by the sounds of klaxons.

2) Take on the Trapmaster, hiding away behind the curtains, in the chamber they recently fled- see map.

174 Raven Attack- The Retreat

The Dwarves could easily construct something like a tower shield or other (you decide) from the bits of wood and the like that is scattered around the ruined chamber. All it would take is a little time and dedication (and a series of skill checks for an easy Skill Challenge- you chose the skills you are using). They could start this project straight away... If they wanted to.

3) Move past the Trapmaster, who is afterall hiding away, and in to the open chambers discovered by Mardred, behind the secret door- see map.

175 Raven Attack- Mardred explores

According to Big Uppity, the Goblin Boss, that way lies a few Goblins, and perhaps a pair of Dwarves...

And so...

The assembled Dwarves stand around scratching their chins- considering the situation; 1, 2 or 3?

Can someone play Kathra?

larryfinnjr

First Post
Cinara

"Unless he has the ability to conjure up new birds-of-prey to attack us, I say the Trap-Master has what's comin' to him, crazy fool that he is."

"Like Kazzigan said, a two-front attack on him seems best. One group, obvious target for the bastard, hollerin' and yellin', runnin' up the middle of the room. Another group sneaks up to him along the eastern wall, hidin' behind the tapestries. Soon as that group is in place, the rest come round the corner and strike from afar. Either that flushes him out, or he ends up dyin' in that little niche of his. Let's go see what we can scrape up."

Leading as if she owns the place and, right or wrong, assuming the others will follow, Cinara heads back to the lever, pulls on it to open the way back to the Trappist Dwarf, and carefully spies 'round the corner to see what might be laying about that could be used to fashion a shield.

Pinotage

Explorer
Kazzagin

It was evident on Kazzagin's face just how relieved he was that they'd escaped the Trapmaster and were all still alive. He gave Krogan an encouraging nod, and then stood up. He checked his armor and shield, the edge of his axe and made sure everything was ready.

"I be agreeing. The dwarf be the only creature that know we are here. It be foolish to fight another battle when one is behind us unfinished." He started to move around the area, looking along with Cinara at any appropriate shielding they could put together to shield themselves from the dwarf's poison arrows. "We be finding something to shield ourselves," he remarked to Mardred, encouraging the dwarf to look along with them.

OOC: Dungeoneering Check to assist Cinara in finding appropriate shielding against the Trapmaster.

[SBLOCK=Kazzagin]Kazzagin
Played by Pinotage
Dwarf Paladin of Pelor Level 1 (XP: 764)

Perception: 11 Insight: 16 Low-light Vision

AC 20 Fortitude 15 Reflex 13 Will 13
Initiative: 0 Speed: 5
Str 18 Con 16 Dex 10 Int 8 Wis 13 Cha 14

Hit Points: 31 / 31 Bloodied: 15 (Death Save 1)
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Healing Surge: 7 Surges per day: 8 / 13

Resist:
Saving Throw: +5 vs Poison.

Action Points: 1
Second Wind: 1 (Minor Action)

Languages: Common, Dwarven.

Trained Skills: Heal +6, Insight +6, Intimidate +7, Religion +4.
Other Skills: Acrobatics -4, Arcana -1, Athletics 0, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +1, History -1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Stealth -4, Streetwise +2, Thievery -4.

Feats: Weapon Expertise (Axe).

Traits:
Stand Your Ground- You move 1 less square with Forced Movement, and get an Immediate Saving Throw to avoid being knocked Prone.

At-Will Powers: Standard Actions.
Melee Basic Attack (+1 Frost Battleaxe): +8 vs AC 1d10+5 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (Hand Axe): Range 5/10 +7 vs AC 1d6+4 damage.
Holy Strike (+1 Frost Battleaxe): +8 vs AC 1d10+5 Radiant damage. If you marked the target it takes an extra 1 (Wis Bonus) damage.
Valiant Strike (+1 Frost Battleaxe): +8 vs AC 1d10+5 damage. +1 To Hit per enemy adjacent to you.

At-Will Powers: Minor Actions.
Divine Challenge: One target in Close Burst 5. The target is Marked by you. The target must include you in any attack it makes, if it fails to do so it takes 5 (3 + Cha Bonus) Radiant damage. The mark lasts until you mark a different creature, or if you do not attack the target or do not end your turn adjacent to the target. You can only use this power once/Turn. Minor Action.
*Lay on Hands: You can use this power 1/day (Wis Bonus). You spend a Healing Surge but regain no Hit Points, one ally you touch regains Hit Points as if they had spent a Healing Surge. Minor Action.

Encounter Powers: Standard Actions.
Radiant Smite (+1 Frost Battleaxe): +8 vs AC 2d10+6 Radiant damage (including Wis Bonus to damage).

Encounter Powers: Minor Actions.
Divine Mettle: One creature in Close Burst 10 makes a Save with a +2 (Cha Bonus) bonus. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.
Divine Strength: You apply +4 (Str Bonus) to your next damage roll this turn. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.
Second Wind: Healing Surge & +2 to all Defences until end of next turn. Minor Action.

Daily Powers: Standard Actions.
*Paladin's Judgement (+1 Frost Battleaxe): +8 vs AC 3d10+5 damage and one ally within 5 squares can spend a Healing Surge. Miss: One ally within 5 squares can spend an a Healing Surge.

Conditions:

Equipment: Plate Armor, Heavy Shield, Battleaxe, Handaxe (4), Adventurer's Kit (Backpack, Bedroll, Flint and Steel, Belt Pouch, Trail Rations (10), Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrods (2), Waterskin), Holy Symbol (Pelor), Torch (4), Oil (Pint) (6), Lantern, Climber's Kit, Trail Rations (10), Waterskin, Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrods (4)

+1 Frost Battleaxe (Level 3 Uncommon, 680 gp)

Critical: +1d6 cold damage

Power (At-Will, Cold): Free Action. All damage dealt by this weapon is cold damage. Another free action returns the damage to normal.

Power (Daily, Cold): Free Action. Use this power when you hit with the weapon. The target takes 1d8 cold damage and is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Gold: 39 gp 6 sp[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

tiornys

Explorer
Mardred looks around

Yeah, I'll see what I can find, mumbles Mardred as he scans the chamber for usable materials. Yer won't be much of a distraction for me if yer punched full of holes, after all, he thinks.

[sblock=Mechanics]Perception to find stuff we can use. Roll might take a few minutes though, got to pull up a character sheet from somewhere.[/sblock]

larryfinnjr

First Post
[sblock=Mardred, the next chapter] Welcome, @tiornys , and thanks for stepping up to play Mardred! Looking forward to having you in the mix... Paul's been doing his darndest to TPK us, but somehow we've managed to (partially) survive after 2 player deaths.

Again, welcome! [/sblock]

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Cinara

"Unless he has the ability to conjure up new birds-of-prey to attack us, I say the Trap-Master has what's comin' to him, crazy fool that he is."

"Like Kazzigan said, a two-front attack on him seems best. One group, obvious target for the bastard, hollerin' and yellin', runnin' up the middle of the room. Another group sneaks up to him along the eastern wall, hidin' behind the tapestries. Soon as that group is in place, the rest come round the corner and strike from afar. Either that flushes him out, or he ends up dyin' in that little niche of his. Let's go see what we can scrape up."

Leading as if she owns the place and, right or wrong, assuming the others will follow, Cinara heads back to the lever, pulls on it to open the way back to the Trappist Dwarf, and carefully spies 'round the corner to see what might be laying about that could be used to fashion a shield.

It was evident on Kazzagin's face just how relieved he was that they'd escaped the Trapmaster and were all still alive. He gave Krogan an encouraging nod, and then stood up. He checked his armor and shield, the edge of his axe and made sure everything was ready.

"I be agreeing. The dwarf be the only creature that know we are here. It be foolish to fight another battle when one is behind us unfinished." He started to move around the area, looking along with Cinara at any appropriate shielding they could put together to shield themselves from the dwarf's poison arrows. "We be finding something to shield ourselves," he remarked to Mardred, encouraging the dwarf to look along with them.

OOC: Dungeoneering Check to assist Cinara in finding appropriate shielding against the Trapmaster.

[SBLOCK=Kazzagin]Kazzagin
Played by Pinotage
Dwarf Paladin of Pelor Level 1 (XP: 764)

Perception: 11 Insight: 16 Low-light Vision

AC 20 Fortitude 15 Reflex 13 Will 13
Initiative: 0 Speed: 5
Str 18 Con 16 Dex 10 Int 8 Wis 13 Cha 14

Hit Points: 31 / 31 Bloodied: 15 (Death Save 1)
Healing Surge: 7 Surges per day: 8 / 13

Resist:
Saving Throw: +5 vs Poison.

Action Points: 1
Second Wind: 1 (Minor Action)

Languages: Common, Dwarven.

Trained Skills: Heal +6, Insight +6, Intimidate +7, Religion +4.
Other Skills: Acrobatics -4, Arcana -1, Athletics 0, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +1, History -1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Stealth -4, Streetwise +2, Thievery -4.

Feats: Weapon Expertise (Axe).

Traits:
Stand Your Ground- You move 1 less square with Forced Movement, and get an Immediate Saving Throw to avoid being knocked Prone.

At-Will Powers: Standard Actions.
Melee Basic Attack (+1 Frost Battleaxe): +8 vs AC 1d10+5 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (Hand Axe): Range 5/10 +7 vs AC 1d6+4 damage.
Holy Strike (+1 Frost Battleaxe): +8 vs AC 1d10+5 Radiant damage. If you marked the target it takes an extra 1 (Wis Bonus) damage.
Valiant Strike (+1 Frost Battleaxe): +8 vs AC 1d10+5 damage. +1 To Hit per enemy adjacent to you.

At-Will Powers: Minor Actions.
Divine Challenge: One target in Close Burst 5. The target is Marked by you. The target must include you in any attack it makes, if it fails to do so it takes 5 (3 + Cha Bonus) Radiant damage. The mark lasts until you mark a different creature, or if you do not attack the target or do not end your turn adjacent to the target. You can only use this power once/Turn. Minor Action.
*Lay on Hands: You can use this power 1/day (Wis Bonus). You spend a Healing Surge but regain no Hit Points, one ally you touch regains Hit Points as if they had spent a Healing Surge. Minor Action.

Encounter Powers: Standard Actions.
Radiant Smite (+1 Frost Battleaxe): +8 vs AC 2d10+6 Radiant damage (including Wis Bonus to damage).

Encounter Powers: Minor Actions.
Divine Mettle: One creature in Close Burst 10 makes a Save with a +2 (Cha Bonus) bonus. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.
Divine Strength: You apply +4 (Str Bonus) to your next damage roll this turn. This is a Channel Divinity Power- you can only use one Channel Divinity Power per Encounter. Minor Action.
Second Wind: Healing Surge & +2 to all Defences until end of next turn. Minor Action.

Daily Powers: Standard Actions.
*Paladin's Judgement (+1 Frost Battleaxe): +8 vs AC 3d10+5 damage and one ally within 5 squares can spend a Healing Surge. Miss: One ally within 5 squares can spend an a Healing Surge.

Conditions:

Equipment: Plate Armor, Heavy Shield, Battleaxe, Handaxe (4), Adventurer's Kit (Backpack, Bedroll, Flint and Steel, Belt Pouch, Trail Rations (10), Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrods (2), Waterskin), Holy Symbol (Pelor), Torch (4), Oil (Pint) (6), Lantern, Climber's Kit, Trail Rations (10), Waterskin, Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrods (4)

+1 Frost Battleaxe (Level 3 Uncommon, 680 gp)

Critical: +1d6 cold damage

Power (At-Will, Cold): Free Action. All damage dealt by this weapon is cold damage. Another free action returns the damage to normal.

Power (Daily, Cold): Free Action. Use this power when you hit with the weapon. The target takes 1d8 cold damage and is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Gold: 39 gp 6 sp[/SBLOCK]

Yeah, I'll see what I can find, mumbles Mardred as he scans the chamber for usable materials. Yer won't be much of a distraction for me if yer punched full of holes, after all, he thinks.

[sblock=Mechanics]Perception to find stuff we can use. Roll might take a few minutes though, got to pull up a character sheet from somewhere.[/sblock]

Your first effort is not up to scratch- Cinara finds a large hunk of wood, part of the remains of the sodden door. You begin to work the idea, finding planks of savageable wood and re-using the nails already present in the wood.

Alas your first effort comes to nothing, the original piece of wood from the sodden door splits down the centre and the whole edifice comes apart.

Ten minutes in and you're back to square one, well nearly square one, some of the planks are still usable as are the nails.

That's when Mardred remembers the chest you dragged out from behind the secret chamber in the tower- the place you entered the forge and fought the Ogre. The chest was big- there would be easily enough wood in that, if taken apart, to create a tower shield (with the planks you have found) big enough to cover two of you- top to toe.

Somebody needs to go back for the chest... and then the whole thing needs to be assembled.

Walking Dad

First Post
Grim

"I hate to say this, but Mardred is right and we have maybe to split up... hey, hear me out!

We need more than one to carry that big chest, but we also need some to hold position. Am I right?"
Grim summarizes his thoughts.

[sblock=OOC]
go with the killing the trapmaster plan.

could try to play the wizard during combat, but I have currently a bad online connection.

[sblock=Quick sheet]
Grim
Perception: 15 Insight: 10 Dark Vision
AC 18 Fortitude 12 Reflex 15 Will 15
Initiative: +4
Hit Points: 25 / 25 Bloodied: 12
Resist: necrotic 5
Saving Throw: -
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Milestones: 0
Healing Surge: 6 Surges per day: 2 / 2
At-Will Powers: Penance Stare, Soul Drain, Anvil Touch
Encounter Powers: Dark Reaping, Soul Eater
Daily Powers: Swarm of Ravens

Condition:
[/sblock][/sblock]

larryfinnjr

First Post
Grim

"I hate to say this, but Mardred is right and we have maybe to split up... hey, hear me out!

We need more than one to carry that big chest, but we also need some to hold position. Am I right?" Grim summarizes his thoughts.

"After this abysmal failure, I have to agree. I've not the strength to heft such a load that far. I'll stay behind with, how about Mardred and Kathra. Grim, you take Kazz and Krogan and go for the chest. Sound good?"

tiornys

Explorer
Mardred likes staying with the healer

[sblock=Mardred, the next chapter] Welcome, @tiornys , and thanks for stepping up to play Mardred! Looking forward to having you in the mix... Paul's been doing his darndest to TPK us, but somehow we've managed to (partially) survive after 2 player deaths.

Again, welcome! [/sblock]
[sblock]Thanks![/sblock]
Mardred edges closer to the warpriest. Works here. I'll jes start getting them nails in order. He kneels beside the scraps of their project and begins pulling and organizing the nails with an air of importance.

Last edited:

Remove ads